Search Unity

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ronbonomo

ronbonomo

Thank you. And I am not saying bad of your product. Just a firm believer in proper support to go with projects. I will be a customer when proper videos are made, and so will many many more

2. ronbonomo

ronbonomo

And in all reality, for those who want to build an off the hook MMO, they should actually go with Hero Engine. Not part of Unity. Which is what I will convert to after the release of the two games I am currently working on, which the second of the two I was looking to use uMMORPG. But yea, anywho

3. mischa2k

mischa2k

You are welcome to join our uMMORPG discord server and take a look around (see my signature).
    That will remove all your worries about support immediately :)

4. Pescu

Pescu

Hello,
    I have a conflict of compatibility with sqlite3.
    I have 2 assets that use this dll, and get "Multiple plugins with the same name 'sqlite3'" error.
    Generally delete one of the two works, but in this case if i delete the one of the other asset he regenerate it, the same for uMMORPG.
    How can i fix this issue?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

5. mischa2k

mischa2k

Why do you need another sqlite asset? uMMORPG handles the sqlite database for you already.

6. Pescu

Pescu

The other asset use database for himself, the asset it's named Bolt, for blueprint.

7. mischa2k

mischa2k

Not sure if that even works with UNET

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,
    how i can add to the "Normal Attack (Warrior)" more as one Animation, like 3 random animations?

9. mischa2k

mischa2k

Use a sub state machine in Mecanim

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

http://prntscr.com/jeixgg
    http://prntscr.com/jeixr7
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     // OnStateMachineEnter is called when entering a statemachine via its Entry Node
    2.     override public void OnStateMachineEnter(Animator animator, int stateMachinePathHash){
    4.             animator.SetInteger ("NormalAttack", Random.Range (0, 3));
    5.     }
    I have do that, but the animation make a overlap, how i can fix that?

11. mischa2k

mischa2k

Not sure what you mean.
    I'd keep it simple and have 3 attacks in the Normal Attack sub state machine with an index. And in your code do index = (index + 1) % 3 each time, done.

12. BryanO

BryanO

Can you comment about your addons scheme. It looks like initially you had developed an ecosystem to support addons but for some reason the major supporters are not updating thier scripts. Some have abandoned shops with dozens of addons.

The addons architecture (and the many addons developers) is a major plus...

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  13. BryanO

BryanO

Vis 2k Is there a way to increase the number of concurrent pets?

And btw thanks for your amazing responses and support you offer for your products ....

mischa2k likes this.
  14. TonyLi

TonyLi

Are you referring to the Addons section of the uMMORPG forums (where I see you recently posted) or somewhere else? Addons for the Dialogue System for Unity and Quest Machine are ready for release with the upcoming version 2.0 update of the Dialogue System for Unity. I was planning to add their info in the Addons section, but if there's some other ecosystem that uMMORPG users visit, I'd like to make sure the info goes there, too.

15. BryanO

BryanO

Addons is a wonderful feature of the ummorpg system. However uniformity in the application of the api amongst “addon” developers is concerning.

Addons is also a section of the uMMORPG forums where addon developers had mostly taken-over to post install instructions. I’m not certain why they started doing this. Many “addons” appear to have core script changes and didn’t nessesarily post which versions these were for and so we got a mish mash of scripting in these posts in that forum. it’s hard to tell which addon works with what version of Ummorpg. Or if they are even conforming to the addon protocol at all and just calling thier idea of a mod an “addon”. I just bought an “addon” that turned out to be an out of date core mod. The experience was disappointing and so wanted to try and help sort the issue - so made a personal request to the addon developer community.

16. Hitch42

Hitch42

I dug around the Addons section of the uMMORPG forums and found some that were exactly what I was looking for. But like you, I found it very disheartening to see entire stores of addons abandoned, some addons unclear as to their compatibility and/or maintainability, and others that had unusual payment methods. I was too apprehensive to purchase any of them.

I don't want to deny people the ability to sell their own addons for uMMORPG - I think it's a fantastic way to expand its functionality - but I'd be much more inclined to pay for them if they had a more professional business presence or came directly from the uMMORPG developer. I've rarely seen a collection of assets that I wanted so greatly to spend my money on, but couldn't bring myself to.

@vis2k: I don't know if it's not an area of interest to you, or your time is occupied with your other projects, or you don't want to undercut the uMMORPG addon developers, or if you're waiting on the fate of HLAPI, or even if you plan to add more functionality directly to uMMORPG like you did with pets, but man... if you sold your own functionality addons, I'd unlock my wallet for them in heartbeat.

BryanO likes this.
  17. mischa2k

mischa2k

I made the addon system in the code yes.
    Some community members make addons. Then they disappear over night and abandon there addons. Others stay around forever. That's how it goes I guess.

The sticky post on the addon section on ummorpg.net says to include the uMMORPG version that the addon works with, so that we know which addons are still up to date, and which are outdated.

I also recommend talking to the addon developer in our discord before buying an addon, to find out if he's active or not.

But you should know that I do 0 oversight on community addons, I never tried even one of them and I make no money from them etc. So you buy them on your own risk and you should probably not use 50 addons from 50 different people and hope for the best. I recommend to use uMMORPG + maybe 1-2 addons that you make yourself or use from someone else, then try to release to keep your sanity :).

BryanO likes this.
  18. mischa2k

mischa2k

I think that's not even allowed by the Asset Store guidelines. If you buy my asset then you need to get 100% functionality without having to buy extra stuff - I think. Been a while since I checked up on that.

But there's no reason for me to make addons as of now. I am still deep into the core features, and for my own MMO I will only need 1 job system addon, which will be the unique part of my game and probably not sold :)

19. BryanO

BryanO

I'm just saying that these guys need to stick to the API and not mess with the core code to get things done - That allows us to benefit from the many hours they have spent on these plugins and mods. As it is becasue they didn't stick to the api the changes in Unity and to a much lesser extent UMMORPG have obviated and disheartened the most prolific of these guys. And now its like going to a junkyard to pick though the library thats been created. New addon designers should take note - The framework is wildly extensible and like hitch42 said for a good clean Addon without core mods Id be ready to spend money.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    mischa2k likes this.
  20. ronbonomo

ronbonomo

I will definitely be getting your product. I haven't went to the link yet, but it is clear and I now know why you told me good luck, LMBO . Just can't make the investment right now. Which means I will probably miss the sale, but whatever, worth not having the headache I am dealing with now, UGH. I will even start rolling out tutorials for uMMORPG once I get it and get familiar with it. But will let you go. Be seeing you soon!!

mischa2k likes this.
  21. ronbonomo

ronbonomo

I have a love for Unity and want to release a rpg using unity and give unity recognition when I do. I will do same for your product when released. It will be released as a full mmo, that is were your product comes in :p . Once that is released I will go to Hero Engine to release the "Next Chapter" of the story line. Reason being, that one will be the one that gets all the expansions since I can do real time editing and updating while people are still in the game world. The one I release here will always be a supported game, and will get a couple expansions, but updating wont be as easy and sure will take more time. But that is my goal I am working towards. I wont go into details of it, but sure you would love it lol. My problem is, yes I can code, but I am not that great and I smoke bud, so I find myself spending a lot of time looking something up cause I can't remember how to call something, or use wrong symbol, bla bla bla. I am a one many team. I learned animation and modeling for film cgi, but applies here still. So I thank you for making this, I just hope I can pick up using it quick, I usually do, 198 iq lol :p . Any who

22. BryanO

BryanO

Bump - Still asking about increasing the number of concurrent pets- is there a variable I'm missing?

23. BryanO

BryanO

Im getting unexpected results when attaching particle systems to the arrow object. I'm looking to create spell effects and impact particles - however they aren't rendering as expected. I get flat blank textures where particles are supposed to be and misfired events for collision. What is the preferred method of using particles ? Im using the latest unity and ummorpg. When testing the particles in the editor they look fine. Is this related to the arrow being a network object? I'm guessing particles should be rendered only on the client machine.

24. mischa2k

mischa2k

Sorry, missed that question.

I don't see why not. Would just have to modify Player.activePet to a list of activePets.

uMMORPG doesn't really care about particles at all. Probably a particle issue itself, maybe try in an empty Unity project and see what happens.

BryanO likes this.
  25. jy2017

jy2017

Hi,

I purchased uMMORPG. I am looking to add another camera view that will follow player's back. Kinda like first person control but with little bit distance. What is the best practice? Should i add another camera for the FPS view script and add script to switch cameras. Or should I just modify the existing uMMORPG camera MMO script?

26. mischa2k

mischa2k

Both methods should work. uMMORPG doesn't really care about the Camera much.

27. iSleepzZz

iSleepzZz

Hey vis2k, I would like to add the ability to cast a spell while running. Unfortunately, right now if you were to click a spell while in the state of MOVING, it waits til you stop moving then immediately casts the spell.
    Is there a simple way to change it to be able to cast the spell while running?

28. mischa2k

mischa2k

Yes, modify Player.cs finite state machine code to allow casting while moving and not to stop the agent when going to casting.
    You'll also need animation layers then.

29. iSleepzZz

iSleepzZz

Yes, I will have the animations layer so he can run and swing a sword animations at the same time.
    However, I am looking at those states and I see:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (EventSkillRequest()) {
    2.             // if and where we keep moving depends on the skill and the target
    3.             // check self (alive, mana, weapon etc.) and target
    4.             var skill = skills[currentSkill];
    5.             nextTarget = target; // return to this one after any corrections by CastCheckTarget
    6.             if (CastCheckSelf(skill) && CastCheckTarget(skill)) {
    7.                 // check distance between self and target
    8.                 Vector3 destination;
    9.                 if (CastCheckDistance(skill, out destination)) {
    10.                     // stop moving, start casting and set the casting end time
    11.                     //agent.ResetPath(); hereherehere bryce fix since we adding WASD
    12.                     skill.castTimeEnd = Time.time + skill.castTime;
    13.                     skills[currentSkill] = skill;
    14.                     return "CASTING";
    15.                 } else {
    16.                     // keep moving towards the target
    17.                     // (use collider point(s) to also work with big entities)
    18.                     agent.stoppingDistance = skill.castRange;
    19.                     agent.destination = destination;
    20.                     return "MOVING";
    21.                 }
    22.             } else {
    23.                 // invalid target. stop trying to cast, but keep moving.
    24.                 currentSkill = nextSkill = -1;
    25.                 return "MOVING";
    26.             }
    27.         }
    However, I'm not seeing why it won't allow it as is. Once you use a skill it calls CMDUseSkill which instantly changes the currentSkill to the skill used and then shouldn't it cast it right away because the EventSkillRequest() be true?

30. mischa2k

mischa2k

That should work yes.

31. iSleepzZz

iSleepzZz

I know you're really busy and have a lot of projects to do, so I am deeply sorry to bother you:/ But unfortunately, I think you misread my post. This code is already in your uMMORPG project. It looks like it should just be casting skills immediately once CmdUseSkilll sets the currentSkill. However, it waits until my character stops walking before it does cast. I am having a hard time finding the "if !moving, then Cast(currentSkill)" part of the code. :oops: Once I find that piece of code, I can remove it to allow casting of skills while moving.

32. gathem

gathem

You should join the discord group. Its much more active and has a help section for working through problems.

33. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.118 released - new Documentation.

Are you sure that it just doesn't look like it and it actually does cast? Maybe the animations aren't played yet etc.

34. BryanO

BryanO

Thanks - .Particle/audio systems that create an impact effect would do well to "unparent" that GameObject from the "arrow" on instantiation for the entire effect to play becasue the arrow appears to get destroyed on collision with the trigger (is there pooling?) - building in a hook for particle effects might make this more user friendly. Also as you have noted elsewhere the entity models must be marked with their appropriate layer and tag.

mischa2k likes this.
  35. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.119 [released 2018-05-21]
    • UIPopup: removed outdated comment
    • UIChat: fixed reselecting after sending message
    • Chat scrollbar is now transparent by default
    • Item/Quest/Skill/Buff comments updated
    • Guild.IsValidGuildName uses <= instead of < for length check to fix a bug where the guild creation window's button wouldn't be interactable on max length
    • NetworkTime.Update [ServerCallback] added
    • Database: removed guild table, added guild and guildRank to character table for faster and easier queries
    • Database: characters.guild index added for performance (don't need to search the whole database to find guild members anymore)
    • Entity.RpcOnDamageReceived + addon hook
    • UsableItemTemplate comments improved
    • Player.CmdUseInventoryItem simplified
    • UsableItemTemplate.OnUsed added for client sided effects like particles when using potions

BryanO likes this.
  36. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.120 [released 2018-05-28]
    • Upgrade Info: this is a Syntax Update. Don't panic, all you have to do is rename Item/Skill/Quest/RecipeTemplate scripts, Unity won't reset your ScriptableObjects. The only thing you need to reassign are monster item drops. Make backups before you update!
    • Renamed Item/Skill/Quest/RecipeTemplates to ScriptableItem/Skill/Quest/Reicipe because that's what they are.
    • { } parentheses update. { always starts in a new line now.

Ronith likes this.
  37. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

Hey,
    Can I get a refund after such a long time?

I bought uMMORPG for the original 100, you then dropped the price to 80 and now you offer it regularly for 40.

In addition, maybe its just me - but i don't see any "development" regarding uMMORPG.

I just want my money back. Maybe it's a good asset but its absolutely not the way i expected this to be.

38. mischa2k

mischa2k

Sometimes Unity includes it in a sale and then people save money. That's how it works with all assets, I don't see that as a good reason to refund to be honest - especially if you purchased it a long time ago already.

If people would get refunds on assets after they went on sale then there would never be a sale - we would just always sell everything at the minimum price.

Did you see the changelog in the first post? There are 120 uMMORPG versions already, with a new one being released almost weekly. I don't think there are many (any?) assets that are updated more frequently.

There is a video and a WebGL demo and a long list of features + screenshots on the store page. And the full documentation is available online. Which part is not as expected?

39. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

The problem with the addons and ummorpg is the fast updates. The addons needs to be constantly modified and updated since vis2k push out updates faster then my dog poop in the garden. Most are dead due the simple fact that they not worth to maintain.

gghitman69 likes this.
  40. jy2017

jy2017

Quick question, under "Main Camera", there is script "Camera Console". What is that script for?

41. mischa2k

mischa2k

Shows debug.log/debug.error messages in builds at the top of the screen, so you don't have to dig through the log files all the time.

42. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.121 [released 2018-05-29]
    • UI hooks removed for performance and because no one seemed to be using them anyway
    • Removed UITextCopyName because it wasn't needed anymore
    • Player.CanCompleteQuest syntax improvements
    • Player.CmdCompleteQuests uses CanCompleteQuest to simplify code
    • Player.CanStartQuest renamed to CanAcceptQuest for consistency with CmdAcceptQuest command
    • Player.CanCompleteQuest checks inventory space if there is a reward item. Player.CmdCompleteQuest + UINpcQuests both use CanCompleteQuest now.
    • Player.questLimit renamed to activeQuestLimit; only checks active quests now because there's no point in limiting completed quests
    • UI Quests: replaced old scrollview with new one that also has a viewport so auto hiding the scrollbar works
    • UI Quests window size increased
    • UI Quests: [+] [-] buttons to expand/hide description text. feels a lot better.
    • Documentation updated to latest online version
    • Reverted database guild structure changes because they didn't work (terminate, resave, notices, kicking, etc.); added detailed comment why this is better
    • Database: guild_members renamed to character_guild for consistency; character as primary key now
    • Database: character_guild index on guild added to avoid full scans
    • UINpcGuildManagement: create button not interactable if player already has a guild
    • UINpcGuildManagement: create button clears guild name input
    • UICrafting result slot tooltip fixed (didn't replace {AMOUNT} before)

43. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

the change of name convention caused a lot of problems. Why you make it your own developer to difficult to complete a game? Maybe to hide the fact that the asset is not able to create/release a full game?

44. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

The short updates are unproductive. Which developer can update the asset 2 times a week? What are you hiding? Why are not incremental updates, why does your updates breaks more than they fix? Look at the addons? Most are dead due the fact that you update to much... Yeah I know it sounds silly. But there a resonable updates - and updates just for the updates...

45. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

Yeah, 120 versions with things like { } parentheses update !

For example I use stuff from Suriyun as well, and they pushed out Gamespark and a proper Ads integration almost over night (just as an example). They shove out huge chunks of new features. Thats what I call an update - not parenthesis. Who the hell needs a parenthesis update ?!?

Don't get me wrong - the asset is actually very good. You already put a lot of effort into this, you have a clean code style and a highly optimized code base. But it feels kinda sad!

46. mischa2k

mischa2k

That's on the changelog exactly once. The rest are 1500+ commits with real changes.
    You don't have to update parentheses in your own project. I just like it better this way.
    I want the code to be perfect. The only way for all the code to be perfect is for every line to be perfect. Hence the update.

That person stole uMMORPG, released it as his own asset and then it was taken down by Unity.
    Any feature that he adds to his asset is based on my 3 years of work. So that's not really a good example. And probably tells you a lot about the depth of his MMO knowledge too.

uMMORPG is based on UNET, I don't plan to switch to a third party networking solution like Gamespark.
    And Ads suck, come on. I am never going to add that to uMMORPG.

I'd argue that literally anything else is more important than ads, even a parentheses update. But it's okay if we disagree on that.

Thanks.

I know. Sorry. It had to be done though. Back when implementing Scriptable Skills/Items, I wasn't aware of that term so I picked the rather bad 'Skill/ItemTemplate' term. I still think it's important to do changes when I learned new stuff. Only way to get it perfect.

Updating MMOs is a difficult topic. From the documentation:
    upload_2018-5-30_20-47-25.png

So you really should not update your custom MMO to the latest version forever. At some point you should only be cherry picking bug fixes, anything else is kinda crazy. (see the Counter Strike 1.6 example above)

I can't follow your logic, how would this hide anything? By the way, Cubica is pretty damn close to release:

100 small incremental updates are way easier to manage than one big update. Short, incremental updates are a good thing. In fact, you say this yourself here:
    See the Updating part from the documentation above. If I were to ship all code in a DLL file and only expose the addon system, then it would rarely break your code. But you do get the code, so that's a great power and also a great responsibility.

Community members make addons that I have 0 influence over. Some decide to update, some people disappear after a while. I never even tried any of the community addons myself.

Having a good code base is absolutely worth breaking a community addon every now and then. In my opinion anyway.

Feel free to go through all the changelog in the first post and point out the unreasonable updates. It's an incremental process, this all had to happen to get here.

Remember that if a small bug fix takes you 5 minutes to upgrade, it probably took me 5 hours to fix it in the first place, hell some fixes took more than 5 days even.

That's a huge time saver for you. Consider how much time it would cost you to fix all the bugs in the changelog (and HLAPI Pro). You get all of this for free if you purchased uMMORPG once.

Look, don't get me wrong: it's true that I don't care much about downwards compatibility. For example, Windows cares about that a lot. .exe files from 10 years ago still run on Windows 10 just fine. There is a huge price for that though - which is complexity. If I'd have to support addons from V1.0 still, then the code would be one big DLL file with 15.000+ lines of legacy code. Who wants that? I mean look at windows - it's kinda a giant mess.

So in other words: perfect code || downwards compatibility. Pick one.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  47. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

ok vis2k you got me :)

mischa2k likes this.
  48. funbytez

funbytez

mischa2k and Hitch42 like this.
  49. Hitch42

Hitch42

Thanks so much for doing this.

50. Fhiz

Fhiz

Same here, I now offer my AddOns free and unsupported at my website. So you can maintain and share them:

http://www.indie-mmo.com

The site will go offline Dec. 2018 - I might move my stuff over to github then.

PS: Some AddOns are missing, those where not mine - but my colleague plans to update and re-release them.

mischa2k and Hitch42 like this.