Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. mischa2k

mischa2k

Could you send me a simplified project so I can debug it? I have an idea what it could be.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

Bug was solved thanks to Vis, sorry for causing trouble. The 1.72 update is bug-free and works like a charm.

3. mischa2k

mischa2k

Very nice, thanks for letting us know!

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: submitted V1.73 for review:
    • NetworkManagerMMO initialization moved from Awake to Start. Fixes the DontDestroyOnLoad warning
    • Changed AddonExample OnLevelUp [Client] attribute to [Server]
    • Fixed Standard Assets warning
    • Entity.CastSkill: mana is decreased in any case now, not for each category separately
    • Created separate floor material for easier Standard Assets upgrades
    • Player.LateUpdate syntax: missing space fixed
    • Archer Animation Controller: animation states renamed to proper skill names
    • Archer Animation Controller: added animation state for Blessing to fix a bug where the running animation would still be played when casting it while running
    • Warrior Animation Controller: animation states renamed to proper skill names
    • Warrior Animation Controller: added animation state for Health Aura to fix a bug where the running animation would still be played when casting it while running
    • Skeleton Animator: animation states renamed to proper skill names

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Ronith likes this.
  5. Stroved

Stroved

I've found a small bug. The class name doesn't get set for clients, but gets set for server players. I've tested this on a clean 1.72 project.

With regards to the OnLevelUp addon, how would I get a UI to show on level up? I have this working without any issues for the server, but clients do not see anything. On level up, I set "hasLeveledUp" to true, then have a UI which checks for hasLeveledUp. This then runs a Coroutine to show the UI for 15 seconds before setting to to inactive. This is my bool:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [SyncVar_, SerializeField] public bool hasLeveledUp = false;
    But yet it doesn't show at all on the client :(

6. mischa2k

mischa2k

OnLevelUp has a [Client] attribute in V1.72, but it should have a [Server] attribute, which will be corrected in V1.73. So at the moment this function is only called on the Server. You could use Unet's TargetRPC to call it on the client from there too.

7. Stroved

Stroved

I'll try that, thank you!

Regarding the className bug, can you confirm this (and if so, is there a simple fix I can quickly use?)

8. mischa2k

mischa2k

I am not sure what you mean with the class name bug. Does it happen in a fresh uMMORPG project? How do I reproduce it?

9. Stroved

Stroved

Yes, I've replicated this in a fresh 1.72 project. The player className does not get set for clients, only for the server player.

To replicate, add player.className to some UI text. When playing as the server, it will be correct (Warrior for example). If you are playing as a client, it will be empty.

Edit: I believe its because its not getting sync'd across. This means that you can't have class specific content as the client isn't aware of it's className.

10. jagatai33

jagatai33

Its not a bug, it just doesnt have a SyncVar.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     [HideInInspector] public string className = "";

mischa2k likes this.
  11. Stroved

Stroved

Weird, I had [SyncVar_] on it but it didn't work! I must have not recompiled or something. I think this should be in the base project as it will allow people to use it for class specific actions (like quests). Thanks for your help :)

12. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

Fhiz Report: A Party system is actually quite easy to do. Just modify the default Guild system and add another button/panel for party management.

So, @vis2k I would not put development effort into this right now

cioa00 and mischa2k like this.
  13. cioa00

cioa00

@Fhizban beside me there was also another person who did party system based on guild system. So i must agree with you, that using guild system as base component makes things way easier :)

FS_Artsy likes this.
  14. mischa2k

mischa2k

Good evening everyone!
    To keep you all up to date, here is what's planned for the next few weeks:
    • Try latest Unity 5.6 patch to see if we can upgrade by now
    • Skill Effects: the code is 100% finished, I just want to think about it a few more days
    • New Warrior model + weapons + equipment (almost finished)
    • Skinned mesh equipping, so that players can equip pants etc.

Natalynn and shamsfk like this.
  15. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

will skined mesh equiping break old logic if we already have used the previous version of it ?

16. mischa2k

mischa2k

It's not implemented yet, so I can't say for sure. It might even work with the current system.

17. stuepfnick

stuepfnick

Hello!

As the uMMORPG does not support multiple scenes, we thought of using encapsulated areas (similar to scenes or rooms) with no visibility or any connection to other ares (except of course you can walk from one to another), for simplicity, so it does not need LOD, dynamic loading based on looking direction, and so on.

The question I have: How will Unity handle memory resources, so if I on the client:
    1.) Working with SetActive(true/false): So set all areas to inactive (with SetActive(false);) except the one, the play is in, that should be true.

Can the inactive stuff be removed from RAM and reloaded from disk when needed? Will this work automatically then or will the inactive stuff also stay always in RAM? This is important especially for mobile device Clients with more limited amounts of RAM.

2.) Working with Instantiate/Destroy: Have nothing in the scene, but when entering the world, the client loads the area, where the player is in with Instantiate from a Prefab.
    When leaving an area and entering another: Destroy the left one and Instantiate the new one.

The 2nd way of course would be more complicated, but with all stuff as children of Areas it should not be too complicated. But I guess then with Destroy the stuff would be really removed from memory and with Instantiate loaded from disc (flash/HD) again. So if only the Instantiate/Destroy will work for saving memory, I guess it will be a CPU-intense task (an area can have hundreds of objects of course). So it should be done in a Thread I guess?

Does anyone know and tell me, how Unity handles that stuff in memory? Will it be enough to set the Areas to inactive to removed from memory (at least when needed), or will they need to be destroyed completely? Or is there something else needed to remove GameObjects from the scene and memory? In the end it should be possible to have hundreds or practically an unlimited amount of areas in the game.

On the Server side, I think it should not be a problem to just have only really huge Navmesh of the complete world and monsters/NPCs is another topic, which will cause other problems and workarounds or similar.

Anyway, as said: the things about Monsters, etc. separated through areas is another story and not the question.

Thanks in advance!

18. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

you can do the same but instead if setactive the game object, you just load unload sectors throught portals with load scene additive on client, its best for memory

19. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.73
    • NetworkManagerMMO initialization moved from Awake to Start. Fixes the DontDestroyOnLoad warning
    • Changed AddonExample OnLevelUp [Client] attribute to [Server]
    • Fixed Standard Assets warning
    • Entity.CastSkill: mana is decreased in any case now, not for each category separately
    • Created separate floor material for easier Standard Assets upgrades
    • Player.LateUpdate syntax: missing space fixed
    • Archer Animation Controller: animation states renamed to proper skill names
    • Archer Animation Controller: added animation state for Blessing to fix a bug where the running animation would still be played when casting it while running
    • Warrior Animation Controller: animation states renamed to proper skill names
    • Warrior Animation Controller: added animation state for Health Aura to fix a bug where the running animation would still be played when casting it while running
    • Skeleton Animator: animation states renamed to proper skill names
    Are you sure that RAM is an issue? Modern servers can easily have 32 or 64+ GB of RAM. Most client computers have at least 8GB+. Your world would have to be really large for that.

20. stuepfnick

stuepfnick

I don't see a problem on the server side, it only needs to have the Navmesh, but no Terrain or any other static objects, but on Client side 1 GB RAM should be enough to play the game, most mobile devices in use won't have more.

But anyway, it should be possible to have a practically unlimited world size. So let's say we have areas 250x250 meters and then some day it will be 500 of them and it should be possible to add more then. Of course no one will start with 500 areas, but over time …

It would make things a lot easier, to load and unload them. As said, no need for LOD, Occlusion Culling, loading more stuff in the direction you are looking (if using 3D camera, not orhtographic top-down) the borders do not need to fit exactly, 3d model style can look a little different in different areas, etc.

@Damien-Delmarle: This load scene additive sounds interesting, have to look into that. I just have no idea how Unity will handle those things memory-wise, if you do SetActive(false) or use Destroy, etc.

At the moment that are just considerations for the future anyway.

PS: Although it would be interesting, if someone knows what's going on in the background, when doing such stuff.

@Damien-Delmarle: Before I try something myself, I thought I'd rather ask, if someone has done similar stuff.
    Maybe you have an idea how to set up the project to have the Navmesh of the complete world on the server (does not matter if it has the sectors/static objects - in headless mode it does not need anything but Navmesh and interactive objects (NPCs, monsters, players, etc.)) and how to load/unload sectors of the world, i.e. dependent on world coordinates of the player. Will this be possible with the Unity SceneManger? Just wonder how to do it right, because Server/Client is one project, and if it works at all somehow. If I see a way, I will do some tests with a vanilla uMMORPG project, I guess … thx in advance!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  21. SkyLimitStudio

SkyLimitStudio

Does anyone get "Aborted (core dumped)" when starting the server ? I have a very big problem with this bug, after I change something in the scene I get this error when I start the server from the console. I have to rollback all the changes to a working version to continue. This does not happen in a fresh copy of the project.

22. mischa2k

mischa2k

Never seen that error message before. Let us know when you figure out when it happened.

23. SkyLimitStudio

SkyLimitStudio

It is connected to the minimap camera. It first happened when I customized it a little bit. Happens very often since then. It is scene related, not code. Trying to fix it atm, if I find how I will share it here.

mischa2k likes this.
  24. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

I ave a special workflow:
    -I use Sectr stream only in client build, it will load renderer and pooled npc renderer that are added to monsters when they got instantiated, each region will have it own pool of npc/monsters

- I use Utomate to automaticaly do builds for IOS ( client) & Linux (Server) on ios it will bake sectors, add UI prefab.. while on linux it will generate copies of all collider in a new root object without any other component and remove few things not needed. so i just click on button and few minutes later i got everything generated without human error.

25. funxer

funxer

I'm getting an error when I try to run a webGL build.

An error occurred running the Unity content on this page. See your browser's JavaScript console for more info. The error was:
    abort("To use dlopen, you need to use Emscripten's linking support, see https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki/Linking")

I am able to run uMMORPG WebGL Demo, so I know it can work. However when I do a Build and Run of my own, I click Server & Play, and get an error window.

26. mischa2k

mischa2k

Try Unity 5.5.
    If it still doesn't work, report the Bug to Unity so they know about it.

Cheers

27. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Hey @vis2k !

I have a 2d test of sorts project going on right now, I was just wondering, I bought your Navigation2D asset and I'm trying to get it to work with SuperTilemapEditor, but even though the "colliders" are static, it's not making a navmesh of my world, well not accurately.

https://gyazo.com/19e975c4d0d1027af8e53e3dab53a346

https://gyazo.com/6100d7a61c654b34292d9090d25c23d6

https://gyazo.com/6410e37ae0cd9436f9f9782ee9b6db0a

For the first two images I got it set to wireframe so you can see the world/island.

You can see in the third/last image that it's not detecting the collisions of the SuperTilemapEditor, and even more oddly there's a split down the middle that's not walkable.

28. mischa2k

mischa2k

I never tried it with SuperTilemapEditor. Can you try to manually add a PolygonCollider2D, form it around your scene and then try to bake again to see if that works?

29. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: next version submitted for review: V1.74
    • New Skill Effects system
    Animations for the new warrior model are finished now too. A few minor adjustments and then I can add it to uMMORPG.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  30. ianmhart

ianmhart

31. mischa2k

mischa2k

SkyLimitStudio and Ronith like this.
  32. Ronith

Ronith

I get angry when I read something from chupamobile.
    dont purchase anything from chupamobile... i purchased suriyun mmorpg some time ago. after serveral issues they reject my refund request and delete all my posts in the comments.(i took screenshots of all my comments) the 100% satisfaction / moneyback guarantee is worth nothing. I will never buy anything again outside the unity asset store.

thank god i found uMMORPG... thx @vis2k for your excellent support and great asset!

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  33. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: finishing up on the new warrior model with my artist. Also released the first version of my MMORPG Development Ebook.

Suiyun is uMMORPG. He just stole it and changed some code. I will contact chupmobile to get this sorted out.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Teila and Ronith like this.
  34. Teila

Teila

Congrats on your book. A bit more than I can spend now on an ebook but the table of contents looks great. :) Good luck!

35. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: still tweaking the new warrior model's animations. We had some issues with inverse kinematics and had to redo the whole setup, so this will take a bit longer than expected. We have the IDLE animation finished with IK now, and it's really nice.

Thank you! Contact me if you have a uMMORPG order number already.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  36. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Chupa is a bunch of Thugs. I reported nearly daily stolen, ripped content. They dont shut it down. As long as they earn money with it.

Ronith likes this.
  37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Please add attack sounds..... at least the slots with empty mp3..

38. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

this might be possible with the incomming version if im right, that added possibility to spawn particles with attacks, on the same object that contain particles you can add a sound.

39. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

What? But... but... no... I love the Suriyun assets. Well, the anime models anyways. Damn it man you're ruining my reality!

40. shamsfk

shamsfk

Hi! Nice.

But it is way too expensive.

I'm not saying it lightly, I own both uMMO and uMOBA and bought them gladly, but 40$ for 58 pages, however brilliant you might be, there is no room to cover anything in a proper way for such a value.

You ask 40$ for a mere draft of what a book might be.

Been version 0.1 it should be much cheaper for early buyers.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  41. mischa2k

mischa2k

Gotta buy sounds first. The new models are more important at the moment to be honest.

Yes, it was on the Unity store as well. Unity removed it after I showed proof.

Sorry, I only posted this in the discord chat. There is a 50% off coupon for uMMORPG customers of course. You are in discord right? Check out the private channel.

Also if you bought uMMORPG and uMOBA and want the book really badly but can't pay for it, I am sure we can figure something out.

Teila likes this.
  42. shamsfk

shamsfk

I did and I bought it:
    • There is no coupon entry on a PayPal route
    • As I thought coupons entry on a CC route and going back affected PayPal one but it is kinda lame
    • The book is not worth 20$ in its state
    • Just compare with a book of a similar price tag I own too: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/development-deployment-of-multiplayer-games-vol1-book-online#/
    • And, no, KISS is not an excuse for selling not even a half-baked draft
    • It is more like a long article than a book
    • As a notion, I expected that but still had my hopes up due to your excellent assets and took a risk
    • It is a disappointment

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  43. mischa2k

mischa2k

• The book that you linked to received $29,377 funding. Mine received $0 funding. How is that a fair comparison, are you serious?
    • Not sure why you complain about Paypal. Right before you buy, the ebook description says "We will not use Paypal". Still buying and then getting mad that it doesn't use Paypal is kinda irrational.
    • Yes it's not finished. It says "Version 0.1" very clearly. But I now changed it to "Note: this is the first version, expect some rough edges and future improvements."

Ronith likes this.
  44. shamsfk

shamsfk

Is this a valid reason to sell an article calling it a book?
    He had a funding due to the hard work of writing free stuff by the way. Before taking any funding, he basically wrote a free version of a book, and it is still there, free. Not everyone can do it, and not everyone should, but it diminishes an argument of having a funding to a zero.

There is still a PayPal button, remove it or expect people to use it. It is beyond simple commercial irresponsibility.

That is a good thing, but you should really write - "expect not to get lots of value". Rough edges imply a content to have them around.

45. mischa2k

mischa2k

Ok, you consider 58 pages an article. I don't agree, but I get your point. But how does that matter? It's just a way to deliver MMORPG development knowledge. We can call it an article, a book, an essay or cave it into a stone wall - that doesn't change the content.

So? Even if he had funding because he won the lottery, that doesn't change the fact that you can't expect the same from a $0 funded book.

Where do you see a Paypal button in the book? All I do is explain why using Paypal is a bad idea.
    I sell it over Fastspring, and depending on your country there might be a Paypal, google wallet, amazon, check, wire transfer etc. payment option yes. But that has nothing to do with the book's content.

Right.

46. shamsfk

shamsfk

Ok, sorry, I don't want to be personal. It's just a dissatisfaction speaking in me.

Whole PayPal thing I wrote in the first place is about the current process of buying a book. I had an issue with buying it, not with any description inside of it.

I get your point. And my point is - there is not enough content to justify a price. Not currently.

47. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

someone leaked your book on torrrent already.

48. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: modified the UNET Server hosting tutorial today. Thanks to alantakashi for providing us with the workaround for the 'file not found' error that sometimes appeared even though the file was there.

I can refund your order if you send me the order number in private.

That was fast. Can you send me the link? Or perhaps the torrented file?

49. Teila

Teila

Seems to me that complaints about the book should be done privately, not on the forum.

I bought the book and found some useful information. I do believe it is not in it's final iteration, but still interesting. The description page said it was only 58 pages and that it was not yet a final version. Paypal did not take the coupon but Amazon did.

I am glad for the information and don't mind supporting a fellow indie developer with a bit of money for his efforts. I am looking forward to seeing later versions of the book.

Really sad that pirates would release a small indie book like that. Geesh. My guess is those same people probably already pirated your uMMORPG as well. :(

50. powerxyz

powerxyz

Hello, I want to talk with you to proof that I didn't steal what you own, I've contacted you via email but you does not answer.