Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. camta005

camta005

Nice work ;)

Double checked it again on a fresh install of 1.64. I set up my skill bar in game like this:
    skillbar1.jpg

The next time I log in the skill bar looks like this:
    skillbar2.jpg

The potions are still in my inventory.

An almost comical issue from the test, someone reported that an NPC was dead and could no longer be interacted with. It's just a straight duplicate of the Alchemist with a different name and text. The server had been running for about 2 days and somehow he died lol. If you clicked on him he had no health, but was still standing there. I can't figure out how or why and none of the testers have been able to deliberately kill him, but I noticed there is an 'Invincible' check box for entities so I have ticked that for NPCs for the next test version (also added the loot fix, so I'll get back to you on that).

2. bartuq

bartuq

@jria - as I said before, you can solve some problems looking in uMMORPG searching by similar function. Look to UI folder for example UIInventory.cs, acording to Unity Documentation Input.GetKeyDown must be in Update so
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.GetKeyDown(hotKey) panel.SetActive(!panel.activeSelf);
    This displays the UI
    and
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (panel.activeSelf) {
    Then look to UIChat.cs and carefully study the code because you must also change something in Update. Compare yourself these two codes UIChat and UIInventory

or if you need button as icon look in UIShortcuts.cs and Scene Hierarchy World/Canvas/Shortcuts.

let me know if you solve this issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    btw Unity 5.6 will be released on March 31
    [LINK]

"New NavMesh tools: improving AI and Pathfinding to more easily control character navigation through giant game worlds."

@vis2k now for free, amazing tool for text [TextMeshPro]
    "TextMesh Pro: We’re happy to announce that one of the top performing tools on the Unity Asset Store which features Advanced Text Rendering with Dynamic Visual Text Styling along with greatly improved control over text formatting and layout, will now be available for free to users of 5.3+ and natively integrated into Unity in the future."

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    mischa2k likes this.
  3. 3la288_sh

3la288_sh

sir can you share the grass texture?

4. cioa00

cioa00

Most likely it was not up to date yet. Same goes with my warehouse addon, which reminds me i should make update for that to get it work with latest uMMORPG version.

5. mischa2k

mischa2k

That looks more like the default skillbar when creating a new character.
    So what happens is that your character's skillbar either isn't saved or loaded at all. Are you using Unity 5.5.1? We had issues with that before because of the Player.OnDestroy isLocalPlayer bug that was only fixed in 5.5.1 by UNET.

6. jria

jria

Okay. Ill try this . I hope this will work

7. camta005

camta005

You could also make the chat transparent by setting the alpha to zero rather than deactivating it, so you don't have to mess with anything else to make it work.

8. MyNameJeff22

MyNameJeff22

possible bug.

fresh project
    in the editor
    clicked serve and play
    created a warrior named bob
    played bob
    logged out and deleted bob
    cant re use the name bob

9. bartuq

bartuq

It's not a bug, in SQLite base you can still restore bob.

mischa2k likes this.
  10. jria

jria

Maybe. but I hope there's someone who can teach me on how to have a button for that. Thank you

11. camta005

camta005

Thanks Vis2k, that was the issue. I have now updated to 5.5.2 and the problem is fixed :)

mischa2k likes this.
  12. bartuq

bartuq

@jria
    ok, but it's easy to do...
    UIChat.cs
    void Update
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //        panel.SetActive(player != null); // hide while not in the game world
    then
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.L) && !UIUtils.AnyInputActive())
    2.             panel.SetActive(!panel.activeSelf);
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         if (panel.activeSelf)
    2.         {
    3.     }
    insert here if (panel.activeSelf){}
    everything from void Update started with // character limit
    go to Scene Hierarchy (left in Editor) and turn off Chat Panel [LINK]

optional if you want change key in Inspector
    above void Update[SerializeField] KeyCode hotKey = KeyCode.L;
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         if (Input.GetKeyDown(hotKey) && !UIUtils.AnyInputActive())
    2.             panel.SetActive(!panel.activeSelf);

or you need button as icon to click?
    UIShortcuts.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     [SerializeField] Button chatButton;
    2.     [SerializeField] GameObject chatPanel;
    void Update
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         chatButton.onClick.SetListener(() => {
    2.             chatPanel.SetActive(!chatPanel.activeSelf);
    3.         });
    then
    Scene Hierarchy [LINK] click here (ctrl +d to copy) and rename to "ButtonChat"
    next
    [LINK] insert here "ButtonChat" and insert "ChatPanel" (go to Scene Hierarchy (left in Editor) and turn off Chat Panel [LINK])

mischa2k likes this.
  13. camta005

camta005

I've just had confirmation from the testing group that the loot exploit is fixed, they can no longer get multiple items using an auto clicker.

The test has been going really well and the feedback from the group has been great. In particular the data transfer out from the server has been really low, which is fantastic. I compared this with some similar tests I did with the MMO Starter Kit (Unreal Engine) and uMMORPG is using significantly less bandwidth with no noticeable lag. There are only 10 players in the group so we still don't know how it performs with a large number of players on one server, but so far it's very encouraging. There is some real potential here! :)

mischa2k, cioa00 and Ronith like this.
  14. MyNameJeff22

MyNameJeff22

is it possible to add a teleport on a location instead of having to make a npc.

example: like a portal you walk into and it teleports you to a location

15. 3la288_sh

3la288_sh

you could do this , but you must not use another scene .

so u must change it to make it teleport to a transform in the same scene.

mischa2k likes this.
  16. mischa2k

mischa2k

Great to hear and again thanks for reporting the bug!

17. mischa2k

mischa2k

Not sure if I posted this before, but I just noticed that V1.64 is on the Store:

V1.64 [released 2017-03-02]
    • Coupon time delay to avoid brute force
    • UIDragAndDropable variable renamed to someting more literal
    • Player.OnStartLocalPlayer unnecessary isLocalPlayer check removed
    • Removed all [FormerlySerializedAs] tags
    • PlayerChat.OnStartLocalPlayer [Client] tag removed
    • PlayerEquipmentLocation renamed to EquipmentLocation because it's more universal and to prepare for addon system
    • Player .healthMax, .manaMax etc. equipBonus variable renamed to equipmentBonus, attrBonus to attributeBonus
    • Player.SelectionHandling bestDest renamed to bestDestination
    • Player.lootRange and talkRange replaced by interactionRange to prepare for addons
    • Canvas Loot gold tooltip disabled

18. gghitman69

gghitman69

There is not enough free choice all variables should be get and set
    More choice in variables or you simplify all (ex loot range, talk range)
    The loot should be picked up directly in the inventory

19. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: V1.65 was submitted for review!
    V1.65 [in development]
    • Player.WSADHandling dest renamed to destination, bestDest renamed to bestDestination
    • PlayerChat renamed to Chat to prepare for addon system
    • Database.CharacterSave version with extra parameters removed to prepare for addon system
    • Player.CmdUnlockItem syntax improved
    • Database.CharacterLoad 'var' replaced with 'float' for coordinates
    • NetworkNavMeshAgent safeguard added to avoid UNET's ReadString out of range bug
    • Player.CmdTakeLootItem: added missing item.valid check to avoid duping
    • Entity.CanAttackType parameter t renamed to type
    I finally got an answer from Unity about my domain problem, and they advised not to use it because it has 'unity' in it. So that's a setback, will think about different domain names for a few days now.

The new character model is making slow progress, so that's good.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    XaXaX likes this.
  20. mischa2k

mischa2k

What do you mean with not enough choice?
    I might release an optional loot drops addon at some point. But the current system is much easier for the server and big worlds.

21. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

I Would to suggest an idea, for the actual loot and drop system would be very nice if the monster brings a icon above head when it has a loot.
    Cause is boring click monster by monster that the player killed to find loot window.
    Then if monster died had loot, an icon indicate it.

22. gghitman69

gghitman69

You made a kit for a mmo not a game ready for use
    so the variable can introduce you as the loot range or talk range must not be joined and replaced by interaction range because the option for the developer its direct to a system well Precisely and not towards a free system:rolleyes:
    As a general rule you should be oriented towards a preconceived system and not on a free choice for the beginners

I am not concerned I modify all the script for me;)

Google traduction

23. bartuq

bartuq

@vis2k - V1.66 will be with addons and with all variable renamed?

camta005 likes this.
  24. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

I posted a hover over cursor script back in the days, you could just use it and add the condition you can find ifmonsterhasloot or something, ill have a look at it in 1h or so when I get of the train :)
    EDIT: I'm sorry for blowing up last page, I was just going nuts when my 100 items+ had to be re-done because of variabel changes even the models in items. Stil loving ummorpg and I restored everything. But my project is getting modified alot now so I guess Ill stay one this version until addons are released :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    mischa2k and Sr-Liermann like this.
  25. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Thankyou!
    I will look your post, it will help alot!

26. XaXaX

XaXaX

Resource gathering must be, this is very importad inside the mmorpg game.

27. luis29vm

luis29vm

I hope for the next version all addons and variables renamed released, this way we have hard time 1 time only because is hard to do it each time :)

camta005 likes this.
  28. bartuq

bartuq

Resource gathering is easy to do I would like to see list of skills which each have their own exp bar. But for now I'm waiting for addons/variable renamed = solid core base.

camta005 likes this.
  29. camta005

camta005

Yes I'm looking forward to that being all finalized too.

30. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

@vis2k in version 1.64 the changes to the mobile system seems to have removed the ability to rotate the camera. Previously a second finger would control the camera rotation and not the zoom...

Though the zoom feature is desired it would be ok to lock the camera rotation though it preferred that the camera can rotate as well as zoom.

31. mischa2k

mischa2k

Good morning everyone!

Yes a loot indicator makes sense. Will put it on my ToDo list!

Merging talk range and loot range into interaction range makes sense later on for the addon system.

Not yet. I have the addon system here in my local code base, but I want to think about it a while longer before I introduce a big change.

It's on the roadmap.

One step after another, as usual. I plan on keeping the next few updates a bit smaller and less difficult to upgrade while I research my addon system.

Yes, rotation will come at some point again. I am just not sure about the best way to do that on mobile yet.

32. Natalynn

Natalynn

Is the addon system, means like. Someone makes a addon script, you drag and drop it and it's working just like that?

Also everyone come join our uMMORPG Community discord :) https://discord.gg/X8xcpNG If interested. Great way to come together and discuss ideas over voice or text, post private information for the uMMORPG Asset.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  33. mischa2k

mischa2k

Yes, you just drop it into the folder and then it's automatically added to the Npc/Player/Monster/Entity/Database. The only thing that you may still have to do is set some variables in the Inspector.

34. Buzzlebot

Buzzlebot

Ok, I've spent the last 3 days trying to set up a player character (using Adobe Fuse and Mixamo). I'm doing ok, but I have 2 issues.

The first is that, no matter what I do, the characters feet are always below the ground. I've messed with the NavMesh and the collider, but nothing has worked. See image below:

stressedout.png

The second and more annoying issue: Despite following the tut and examining every possible setting (I know about), I can only get the idle animation to work. My char will not transition from idle to any other animation. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dale

35. camta005

camta005

For the issue with the feet being below the ground, drag your character prefab into the scene and in the Nav Mesh Agent section increase the Base Offset. Then click Apply (at the top) to make the changes permanent and delete your character from the scene.

Knowing what the issue is with the animations is bit trickier. When you set the idle animation in the animator window did you set all the other animations too?

Check out this user created video, it may help:

mischa2k likes this.
  36. Buzzlebot

Buzzlebot

Thanks camta005! Both problems are now fixed.

camta005 and mischa2k like this.
  37. GOLDY00

GOLDY00

This video I did was using a mixamo charecter too so yeah I use it as well follow mine you should be right

Buzzlebot and camta005 like this.
  38. mischa2k

mischa2k

Does it happen in a fresh uMMORPG project too?

39. luis29vm

luis29vm

No, I add all my project and update to ver 1.64 but I guess that monster was bugged.

40. mischa2k

mischa2k

Try making backups after every major change so that you can trace back your steps to see when it started happening.

luis29vm likes this.
  41. luis29vm

luis29vm

Hello I have In a big change and im not sure, I have 5 terrain in my scene and I all ready put monsters in 2 terrains, but I note that the performance start decreasing, so I dont know if is best to make game stile cartoon, my question is do you think this way the performance can be better? or any way to optimize the monsters? any help or tip appreciate. Thank you guys

42. Natalynn

Natalynn

Yeah, that's pretty much going to happen, since it's going to be one massive scene. Of course you can always do optimizations to the map, and make the render distance shorter so the stuff doesn't render when you're so far away, use fog as well. If it's your monster meshes, they may be way to high quality with the poly count. This is why I wish for the scene switching for uMMORPG, so you can keep the render high and everything and then switch out to another scene.

luis29vm and CrandellWS like this.
  43. cioa00

cioa00

For my own project i was thinking maybe to try use different servers for every map. So bascially they all run on different ports. Just need to keep connection between those and that should solve this. This is just theoretical plan and i haven't done yet anything to try out this.

luis29vm likes this.
  44. GOLDY00

GOLDY00

Have you looked at trying scene streamer it allows for multiple terrains and when you get to the next terrain it makes it visible and hides what's in the players view I don't have it but looked at getting it for mine I'll find the link

45. GOLDY00

GOLDY00

46. TwinB

TwinB

When I import the uMMORPG asset into a new project and then build it, all I get is a white screen. How do I fix this? Thank you. ::EDIT:: Oops, wrong version of Unity, was using Unity version 5.4."somethinerather" and it didn't build correctly. Just like in the README, it says 5.5.1+ and it WILL build correctly. so let this be a lesson hehe and what not.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    mischa2k likes this.
  47. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

OK, updated successfully from a slightly customized version 1.64 to become a customized version 1.65.

This lead to me to want to learn and implement https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SmartMerge.html

Will be checking into that, as time allows but I understand there can be issues for Linux users such as myself. So if anyone has knowledge or experience using SmartMerge please provide your input on this topic.

For those that would like some guidance with git, might suggest reading

https://www.derekgourlay.com/blog/git-when-to-merge-vs-when-to-rebase/

Beyond having to rebase instead of merging do to the 3-way merge i.e (old version, new version, and of course my version).

There was an unexpected problem where the source was fully updated with the new version and then rebased my version on the new version. something like

Firstly exit Unity.

Next, check out your untouched copy of version 1.64 with absolutely no changes (this should be your master branch though it does not have to be this example uses updatedByVis2k)

$ git checkout updatedByVis2k

(now reopen the project in Unity and get the updated version, make sure everything is saved and close Unity again)

$ git add -A
    $ git commit

then check out your own branch (maybe called customizedByMe)
    $ git checkout customizedByMe

(for your safety, make a new branch based on your changes to version 1.64, maybe called devBranchForMe)
    $ git branch -b devBranchForMe

Do the magic...
    $ git rebase updatedByVis2k

All that said it is, know that this is not flawless rather just automated...that being said you should read notes provided which can help you solve any after effect issues...

Such as with file renaming may not work as desired... such as playerchat.cs becomes chat.cs after updating then reverts back to playerchat.cs when rebasing.... Build errors were kinda helpful in knowing the problem and where to look, the notes gave understanding.

All this said, I have read others comments about the addon system, and while I do get the desire to have the informational heads up, I also understand while under active development changes can be required in bulk, and that is what people are concerned with...

Honestly, it is better to let @vis2k take the time he needs to do it right.

Because I customized things, having one major update would break everything everywhere, leaving me with a hugely daunting task, of to much work... at which point I'd be inclined to just scrap the project and start over or move on...

My preference would be small regular changes, which are easier to implement.

As for a heads-up, @vis2k has already done this many times providing information about what is coming. If you are wanting things such as variable names, and what not have a look at the release notes. Where you will find information such as

- PlayerChat renamed to Chat to prepare for addon system​

mischa2k likes this.
  48. luis29vm

luis29vm

hello, Is any way to make a potion for make faster the player for a few seconds? or spell, item?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  49. mischa2k

mischa2k

The last weeks were full of changes yes. I'll definitely slow it down a bit again. Ideally I always want to release small, incremental changes for everyone's sanity.

Speed is stored in the NavMeshAgent, so you would have to add a speed property in the player and copy it to the NavMeshAgent all the time.

CrandellWS likes this.
  50. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: a while ago when implementing SQLite, I found a Unity bug where the DLLs wouldn't be properly excluded for the WebGL platform without some weird import settings. The bug was confirmed by QA today as case #873575.

CrandellWS likes this.