Search Unity

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. cioa00

cioa00

Not at bad idea

CrandellWS and Natalynn like this.
  2. Wansyth

Wansyth

I just noticed something mostly cosmetic for the skills all the cast times have milliseconds but the display of the tooltip truncates any fractions because of Utils.PrettyTime.

Maybe change PrettyTime seconds?

Code (csharp):
    1.  if (t.Seconds > 0) res += " " + t.Seconds + "." + t.Milliseconds + "s";
    The change from skills to abilities is not a bad idea.

3. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: trying to simplify SQLite to MYSQL conversion.

You could try adding a GameObject effectPrefab to SkillTemplate. Then instantiate it when using the skill (see Entity.CastSkill). Use NetworkServer.Spawn if necessary.

Can you go more into detail? What's the use case, why would this make everyone's lifes easier?

Good point. Maybe something like "1.5 seconds" makes sense too. Will think about it.

camta005 likes this.
  4. bartuq

bartuq

because most of us was planning add skills like blacksmithing, mining etc. and then we need change the name Skills.cs from uMMORPG to something different :p

5. luis29vm

luis29vm

Hello, any one know how to add visual effects to the Skills? for example if I hit bless buff, show some effect.

6. mischa2k

mischa2k

Check out my last post above your post.

I see. I will consider it when I add some blacksmithing/mining skill myself.

7. zerjz

zerjz

Could you give me the specific syntax to instantiate something from another script? That's the part I'm having trouble with. I've got it added to the SkillTemplate and the field shows up but I can't figure out how to tell the Entity script where the Gameobject is located to instantiate it.

8. mischa2k

mischa2k

var go = GameObject.Instantiate(skill.effectPrefab);
    NetworkServer.Spawn(go);

9. zerjz

zerjz

Thank you. And is this the correct way to define the field in my SkillTemplate script?

public Projectile projectile; // Arrows, Bullets, Fireballs, ...
    public GameObject SpellEffect; // Spell particle ...

10. leomoyses

leomoyses

What would you recommend to create a map that is not too much consuming, as it already is very hard to reach high amounts of concurrent connections? :O

I have MapMagic, but I fear it might be too heavy for an MMO with UNET.

11. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

Should not be a problem, but check out World Streamer, I find it useful from time to time!

A little UI Work for now, I need to get started on my world soon..

mischa2k, camta005, jagatai33 and 3 others like this.
  12. luis29vm

luis29vm

wow looks very nice my friend

MHolmstrom likes this.
  13. leomoyses

leomoyses

@MHolstrom Thanks!

Also, does anyone have an estimate of how many concurrent users it can hold as of now?

14. jagatai33

jagatai33

Its more of a naming convention, i would say most folks that are working on their own MMO projects would tend to associate things like you stated Blacksmith, Crafting, Combat etc... as static skills that can either influence spells/abilities or serve as a requirement to learn others, for example;

A player would have a Two-Handed Sword Skill of level 3 which in turn would allow him/her to learn "Death from above" spell/ability

.. another example would be with crafting, perhaps a players crafting skill in blacksmith is 4, but a certain item receipt would require no less than a blacksmith skill of 6, and so on.

So its not a technical inhabitation, its just a naming association. It just makes reading code and developing our player progression paths easier to read and associate rather than seeing skills[skillCur] but really its an ability/spell, so for example in my project i have renamed all skill/skills instances as spell/spells so in my case i have spells[spellCur] which just makes it much easier for me to read and associate.

Hopefully this made more sense.
    -J

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  15. jagatai33

jagatai33

Im planning on purchasing World Streamer, how do you like it? and how well does it work with NavMesh?

16. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

I think the Projectile is strange in the itemTemplate, because it can't find in either scene or asset so have to navigate in a complicated process.

@jagatai33 I have not tried it with uMMO but it should be just fine! Otherwise the developer is very supportive! (Have not started on my world yet so another few days until I try it out)!

Edit:
    Q: Why does the Projectiles aim for the feet of the monster?
    Q: Having Range issues, anything under 1 will not work and the character just stops, minimum accepted for me is 1.3 but it's like 5 feet away from the target, anyone?
    Edit 2: Closes range

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  17. mischa2k

mischa2k

Looks fine. Just try and see if it runs, don't be afraid to break things.

The server shouldn't care too much about your map size as long as your Navmesh remains simple enough.
    For the client you can use all kinds of tricks like occlusion culling so it doesn't have to draw the whole world all the time.

Should be plenty, someone mentioned only 7% CPU usage on his test with 50 players. I also tested it with 1000 monsters on the cheapest VPS from namecheap.com a while ago, which worked fine.

I see, guess it depends on the MMOs that we all played. I consider those 'passive skills' and actually have a plan to implement them at some point, will see about the naming then.

If you think you found a bug, please try to cause it in a fresh uMMORPG download and let me know how to know how to reproduce it so I can check out myself.
    Nice progress by the way.

18. leomoyses

leomoyses

Thanks for the quick reply!

Will study further into it for now, thank you again!

mischa2k likes this.
  19. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

@vis2k it happened with my old project as well but I have no idea why. I do not think I can recreate it, it might have something with configuring the UI or minor "Warnings" in the console or my UI errors that are spooking, I have not changed much in Player.cs or Entity either have I touched Monster.cs.

20. cioa00

cioa00

I thought ill try to give a shot on making guild system. At the moment i can show only basic guild list (it shows player level and player character name).

WoogyIM, luis29vm, camta005 and 2 others like this.
  21. Scrollkeeper

Scrollkeeper

I am having most peculiar troubles and have been for quite a while. I've been trying for a long time to get my game to work over the internet and it is just not working. Nobody (myself included) can connect using my public IP. It simply hangs on "Connecting..." and promptly times out.

I have checked dozens of times whether the port is forwarded and I can confirm it is. I have tried numerous other ports I have forwarded as well but no luck.

I also have been able to get other games, programs, and Unity projects to work with port forwarding but this one refuses.

I believe the server is not properly opening the ports upon initialization. Localhost and LAN connections works fine but over the internet it does not. Port checkers such as canyouseeme.org return that it is closed.

Here is a screenshot of my NetworkManagerMMO component:

Oh, and by the by, I am using a Cisco DPC3941T router. I would desperately like a new one but sadly I cannot replace it as of now.

If anyone has ANY idea as to why this is not working, please do not hesitate to let me know immediately.

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  22. gigz09

gigz09

looks so good!, is that a custom UI and icons or from asset store?

23. camta005

camta005

Your issue may be that you are trying to connect to localhost ie. 127.0.0.1 from outside the private network. Try using your actual private ip address instead.

Google 'What is my IP' and verify that your public IP address is actually correct. This probably isn't the issue, but it is good to rule it out.

Assuming you are using windows, open a command prompt and type ipconfig. Record your private IPv4 address and use that instead of 127.0.0.1. It will be something like 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 (don't use the default gateway address). Make sure to port forward it in your router settings, with the correct port and the UDP protocol. It should look something like this: portforward.jpg
    Also add it to the Network Manager in uMMORPG under Server Bind Address.

If you still can't get it working check in your router settings to see if you are using NAT or NAPT. NAPT doesn't require any additional mapping, but NAT does.

Also note that you won't be able to connect through your own public IP address from your local network. Someone outside the network will need to attempt to connect to test.

mischa2k likes this.
  24. Natalynn

Natalynn

I can connect to my server with public ip from my local connected. Server also hosted locally. Tested and works fine for me and other players.

Also if you having connection issues, I'd suggest portforward the connection and go to a server status website to ping the ip and port. This will show if the server is online. Also on the portforward I've used TCP/UDP. This way it does both if needed.

If its not online, make sure the ports are open and not closed via firewall. There is also a tool on portforward.com website which can check if port is open/closed. If you already added the ports to your firewall and still closed, you may need to contact your ISP so they can open them on there side.

Also the port could be closed as in already in use. Check command console for that.

mischa2k likes this.
  25. mischa2k

mischa2k

If what the others mentioned still doesn't work, you can also rent a cheap VPS and host it there. I have a step by step tutorial on my website: https://noobtuts.com/unity/unet-server-hosting . If you use the exact same host that I used then it should work fine.

26. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.60 [released 2017-02-09]
    • Item Mall
    • Database constructor simplified: uses CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS now. Simplifies code and makes it more robust for cases where a table may have been deleted.
    • Added 'How to use the Item Mall' to the Documentation

CrandellWS, Ronith, luis29vm and 2 others like this.
  27. camta005

camta005

I doubt you were able to connect from your local network via your own public IP address to a server hosted on that network. 'Server & Play' will work but that isn't going through your public IP. If you are able to do it somehow, it is not going to be the case for everyone.

Localhost/127.0.0.1 can sometimes be an issue for outside connections (this is not specific to uMMORPG), so it's worth trying the actual private IP address.

mischa2k likes this.
  28. Pronax

Pronax

@vis2k
    Hey, im quite interested in buying uMMORPG.

But i got a few questions.
    1. Me and a friend are currently working on our own MMORPG. Due to the fact thats its really time consuming we consider buying your asset. How is the license? So is it possible to release the game to public sometimes with your asset or is it restricted in any way?

2. We are currently nearly done with our map/terrain. We used Gaia and Gena, is this compatible with uMMORPG?

3. How about the server? We got a Dedicated Server (Xeon E5-1650v3 6x3,5GHZ, 128GB RAM) which should fit for a lot of players, but is your included Serverscript made for 500+ players?

Thanks you very much and go on with your work ;)

29. mischa2k

mischa2k

1. It uses the Unity Asset Store license agreement, like all the other assets. In short, you can embed assets in your game, but you can't for example sell my asset under your name or something like that. You should see the license somewehre when you purchase, I think it's this one: https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

2. uMMORPG only cares about the Navmesh. So as long as you can go to Window->Navigation and Bake it, it doesn't really matter what you use for terrain.

3. We are wating for UNET's Phase 3, which will allow us to use multiple server instances, hence large amounts of players. Unity 5.6 will come with a multithreaded UNET transport layer, which will allow us to use more than one CPU core for the whole thing, which is good too. I did test it with 1000 monsters on the cheapest VPS from namecheap.com a while ago, that worked fine. Someone else mentioned testing 50 players the other day, with only 7% CPU usage. So to summarize, it should be able to handle a decent amount of players already, but the amount won't really matter anymore after UNET Phase 3, since we could just add more and more servers then.

Let me know if you have more questions.

30. camta005

camta005

I use Gaia too and it works really well with uMMORPG.

mischa2k likes this.
  31. Pronax

Pronax

Thanks for the quick response.

I bought it now, but im quite confused.
    How can i set up the server? Cant find anything in Documentation and currently i can just art with clicking "Server & Play"
    Is there no option to run one server and users only see "register & login"?

32. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

could you please share the stress tests result for 500 concurrents users and servers specs where each players focus 1, 5 and 10 monsters in your world ?

+++

33. mischa2k

mischa2k

That depends on where you want to host the server. If you just want to test it locally, you can build it, press 'server only' and then press 'login' in the editor so it logs into the build.

If you want to host a server on the internet, my tutorial might be useful: https://noobtuts.com/unity/unet-server-hosting (note that you have to enter the IP in the Networkmanager's server list).

What?

34. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

@Pronax search an engine for 500+users and, i guess Pronax will run a stress test with 500 users, maybe more.

it is normal process before launch something in production even for lobby, no ?

++

35. honig

honig

Hi.

So you can easily do a quick search:
    The first 50 pages of this thread, simply drag and drop to print to pdf to zip, without beauty operations.
    Link
    The password for zip: ummorpgot

Have fun. ;-)

36. gghitman69

gghitman69

Hi everybody

I do not understand the use you make of ummorpg because I personally use it as a model but I adapt to my needs

For the multi server is quite possible now visk2 I advise you the masterserver of ouijapaw low cost to see the multi server based
    (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59504)

37. Natalynn

Natalynn

Well I guess I'm lucky haha, it works on dedicated host. I can show pictures if you want. Though it always worked for me on every server, I just put my ip from ipchicken in client and connects fine from my local pc as server.

Cause I use to host like private servers, runescape, gunz the duel.

Its most likely due to my internet provider if its what you're saying is true.

38. Scrollkeeper

Scrollkeeper

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I greatly appreciate them. But I have discovered something strange using the portforward.com tool...

When I check if the port is open before I run the server, it reads as open. When I check if the port is open while the server is running, it reads as closed. Note that although I have forwarded TCP/UDP, only the UDP closes, and that Unity Engine mainly uses UDP for its servers.

I do not have the faintest idea as to why this would happen. Any ideas?

39. barbugamer

barbugamer

the camara movement with 2 fingers is too complicate. if you touch with with two fingers a few times the camara get crazy

40. luis29vm

luis29vm

hello is any one here to help me to test my server in online? please pm

41. Natalynn

Natalynn

The port will become closed when the server is running. Have you tried pinging the IP and see if the server is up and running? If still doesn't work, I'll update to the latest uMMORPG and test everything and see what I can do ^^.

42. Scrollkeeper

Scrollkeeper

Thank you. Telnet reports that it could not open a connection, but I believe that is because I am running it on the same computer. No other computers are currently available.

Pinging works but that happens regardless. The client continues to refuse to connect.

Quite frankly, I believe it is something on my end, but I cannot find out what for the life of me. If you would like to test things feel free, but you should know I had this problem on older versions as well.

43. gghitman69

gghitman69

the port is closed because it is used

44. luis29vm

luis29vm

some one know any code to leave the server running under linux headless, now If I close my computer the server go off :(

45. mischa2k

mischa2k

If you are sincerely trying to help, thanks! It does look a bit suspicious though, first post, zipped PDF and so on so be careful everyone.

That could be too many things. I suggest trying it on the local network first and see if it works fine there. Other than that, I recommend namecheap.com for the server, simply because I tested it there and it works.

I will have to think about better mobile camera controls.

46. cioa00

cioa00

I use vps for that and command screen will help you to keep game server up even when you close terminal window or whatever you are using. But since it seems you are running your game server on your computer then you can't keep it running when you turn off computer.

47. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

I'm coming along just fine with a dedicated server on my extra laptop at home, it's an Asus Rog with a 680, i7 and 8gb ram what I'm using is No-Ip and some configurations in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc Host.fil
    it works like a charm, if anyone is interested I'd love to make a basic tutorial!

48. Scrollkeeper

Scrollkeeper

That would be brilliant and, in my case, quite helpful! I, for one, say that would be a wonderful idea.

49. cioa00

cioa00

Just for info, im almost done with warehouse addon modifications. It will run with latest uMMORPG and also has gold deposit/withdrawal option.

mischa2k and MHolmstrom like this.
  50. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

It's sleeping time now but I'll find some spare time tomorrow hopefully to make the basic tutorial!