Search Unity

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. bartuq

bartuq

I know how to Instantiate object on the server.
    I need change that GameObject dynamically what I'm asking how, not manually set it in Editor. [LINK] and this is not working in connected client. Debug said the proper name... and always null exception. I don't know why. From server site is working. I use something similar to SetItemViaPosition because only client can see it which is ok for me for position and rotation display that is invisible to others players, then I use mouse click and true item is appear(with that position/rotation). [LINK2]
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

EDIT:
    I use [SerializeField] GameObject testPrefab;
    [Commnad] to Instantiate GameObject. It seems to me that it works, then [Client] for position/rotation change and here said that GameObject is null - here is my problem :(

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Stroved

Stroved

I'd rather you work on code as well, but thought I'd mention it in case it was something that you had worked on and shelved. Cheers for thinking about it!

mischa2k likes this.
  3. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hey there... so I noticed the showcase image on the uMMORPG asset store page. Where can we demo these games? Is there a URL list of all the showcased games somewhere? I'd love to give them all a test run!

GOLDY00 likes this.
  4. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.58 [released 2017-02-04]
    • All ServerList servers use the same port from the NetworkManager now, so that a headless server knows which port to bind to

Try NetworkServer.Spawn(go) after doing go = GameObject.Instantiate(prefab).

Most (all?) are still in development, it will probably take another 2-3 years until we actually see a full MMO release with uMMORPG. MMOs are huge tasks.

jonkuze, CrandellWS and MHolmstrom like this.
  5. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

Look at my signature, you can download the Cubum Tales launcher from it!
    But i'm working on Solum Fable at the moment so not that far in development. But it's stil something!

jonkuze, Ronith and mischa2k like this.
  6. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: testing uMMORPG on Android again today. If someone wants to use Dedicated/Server&Play mode on Android, then Sqlite is needed. Sqlite needs libsqlite3.so on Android and I am trying to build libsqlite3.so myself this weekend, so there is no security risk when using someone elses compiliation. The libsqlite3.so that can be found on the internet is also from 2011, so it would be very useful to compile an up to date version.

7. Ronith

Ronith

@vis2k , can you add the following on the wishlist? i know, one step after another :)

• Easyier targeting with the TAB key (target the nearest)

CrandellWS likes this.
  8. barbugamer

barbugamer

can you make better player controller on androiod?

9. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: was able to build the Sqlite library for Android. It runs perfectly smooth, people could host a server on their phone now if they wanted to!

Someone posted a solution here a while ago. It should work, but it wasn't the perfect code. You could probably find it if you look through the last pages. I probably won't add it to uMMORPG by default, but I could add a 'how to' to the documentation some day.

Which part needs to be better? Our click movement is actually really neat there, since you can just tap into the game world to go anywhere.

10. bartuq

bartuq

@vis2k I know how to do that. That's not what I meant :p You can try instantiate your SetIndicatorViaPosition dynamically from client site and change dynamically to see what's going on. Anyway I solved my problem but script is freaky: 1[Command], 2[TargetRpc], 3[Client], 4[Command]. Two empty GameObjects, bool, int a for index also I use two Vector3 and few float. First [Command] bool = true, GameObject.name, int a = index, then from it [TargetRpc] to instantiate "GameObject b" from GameObject.a = GameObject.name. Afterwards [Client] for Update, if bool == true, here my GameObject b isn't null because it is invoked on client from server and only I can see it, to change position and rotation dynamically :) then when I accept it with mouse click another [Command] to instantiate NetworkServer.Spawn true item on the server.

11. Ronith

Ronith

We definitely need a uMMORPG forum for easier thread investigation.
    by the way, almost every mmorpg has a target-the-nearest-function by default. In my opinion, it is important :)

12. gghitman69

gghitman69

Hello i would like to buy a ummorpg but i have 2 or 3 question first
    Is it really using mysql or xml?
    Think you implement guild and team?
    What is the roadmap for 2017?

13. Natalynn

Natalynn

Ummorpg using SQLite due to XML 'not able to handle to much information'. I think Guilds are are on the roadmap, vis can answer this :).

mischa2k likes this.
  14. mischa2k

mischa2k

As tvirus said, uMMORPG uses Sqlite because it's very simple and needs no database setup. It can easily be modified to MYSQL though, the queries are all the same.

Guilds are on the roadmap yes, I can't give you an exact date though.

For 2017, the next big things will be new character models and then skinned mesh equipping (e.g. equipping a pair of pants that can follow the character's animation).

CrandellWS likes this.
  15. mischa2k

mischa2k

I was about to add tab targeting to the documentation, but the solution ended up being so simple that I might as well keep it in the code. The feature will be in V1.59!

16. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

Lol, I was just about to write a brief tab targeting idea!
    Tonight I'm going to add sound fx to my item template so I'll post the code tonight or tomorrow for anyone interested.
    Then the upcoming week will be to rework the combat system to be more of a wildstar style! Skillshots everywhere :)

Ronith likes this.
  17. Ronith

Ronith

i figured out a very simple solution and easy zu implement.
    good to hear this will be in uMMORPG by default in the future :)

18. bartuq

bartuq

Great news :)

mischa2k likes this.
  19. gghitman69

gghitman69

hi
    I created a code för MySQL by adapting via database.cs
    I do not know if I can post it here
    There may be corrections to be made
    If vis2k authorize I would post it

Neviah likes this.
  20. mischa2k

mischa2k

You are the second one telling me that today :)
    Could you PM me your code first, so I can see how much of it is like the original?

21. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

How easy is it to change the character movement system?

The issue I have is I am using Ootii's camera system and trying to do a third person (toggle-able first person) movement system and I want A/D to strafe instead. Also when I am moving around the map with W (Just going straight), the character moves around obstacles evading them instead of stopping or running into it. Naturally that would be fine but in first person for example (or going down hill) the camera adjusts too much, I'd like the player to just go straight instead of dodging everything.

Thanks.

I can also work on a CMS if anyone is interested for sale on the asset store. What kind of features would people like to see in the CMS?

Edit: I got the camera switching actually working flawlessly. I mainly need to know how to switch A/D to strafe, and to disable the auto pathfinding when using WASD. I'm loving uMMORPG so far! It's great and a very good source to start with. Once I get the hang of this I'll leave a pretty nice review :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Neviah likes this.
  22. dearamy

dearamy

I don't quite understand about only ONE scene thing. Do you mean we just can't add another scene to this project, not even a scene like a lobby or a login UI?

23. camta005

camta005

You can, it just doesn't have that functionality by default. There is certainly nothing stopping you from adding a lobby or login UI in a separate scene, you just have to integrate that yourself.

I've run a test successfully where I ran 2 different scenes on separate servers and was able to move between them using a database that was accessed by both servers. When Unet phase 3 is released, uMMORPG will add support for multiple scenes. If that doesn't happen for some reason, Vis2k has said that he will implement his own solution. It's an annoying situation where Unet is going to support multiple scenes in the future, so it's not worth implementing a different solution before then. It's certainly possible though, just not part of the default functionality of uMMORPG yet.

24. Natalynn

Natalynn

My project is on hold, till this scene switching comes into play. My editor lags to much when to much stuff all in one view lol.

25. mischa2k

mischa2k

Unity is really fast and modern computers are insanely fast as well. If you use the right optimizations then it should certainly work fine with large scenes. Try occlusion culling etc.

All the movement uses the built in Navigation system right now.
    A and D keys alread strafe kind of. They move the character to the left and to the right by 90 degrees, the only thing that doesn't look like strafing is the animation. So all you'd need is a different animation and maybe a 'isStrafing' parameter for the animator.

Yes, W uses Navigation, hence automatically tries to navigate around obstacles. But you can disable that behaviour too. uMMORPG uses a helper function that tries to find a valid path if the destination is invalid. You could modify that so it simply doesn't bother trying to find a valid path if the destination was invalid (when moving into a wall).

You can only sell Unity assets on the store as far as I know.

26. Natalynn

Natalynn

Yeah, I'm just a fan of multiple scenes and stuff. I've tried a big terrain and takes ages to build a navmesh. I also tried multiple terrains but the lighting flickers on the new terrain. Multiple scenes so much better and pretty much needed. I'm wanting to make instanced maps and stuff like that with loading screens.

Is there any news on unet phase 3?

27. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

The coded state machine have to be changed for strafeing I guess, or change the current movement with if else if pass the parameter when A or D is down like vis2k said, I tried a animation tree but that would require track of vector3.. and we are using navmesh so, not sure that would work well. But I could not find where to pass the parameters but a blend tree would make nice transactions and make the movement feel alive.
    From there again like mentioned above the find closes to bound navigation make it feel lagg-ish it would get alot more sales I believe with the changes by default, if you have state machine for W, A, S, D for better movement. Ill see whatwhat I can do about it tho :)
    Also give us a chanse to add dashing easy or left right dodge!

mischa2k likes this.
  28. mischa2k

mischa2k

You can also decrease the navmesh resolution, which should speed things up. Either way it's a one time computation, so that's something that we just have to live with for now I guess.

I haven't heard anything about Phase 3. I am not too worried about that though. A simple instancing solution + a professional hoster like Amazon/Google/Namecheap will do just fine. There's just no way that you will encounter a bug on those servers, and they have excellent support, performance and pricing too. Code quality is another aspect. You can draw your own conclusions about that part.

29. Natalynn

Natalynn

I mean a scene switching solution for mmos. That isn't really simple to write, at least for me lol.

30. mischa2k

mischa2k

I didn't mean that you'll have to write it yourself, I have something in mind already. If with scene switching you mean having multiple scenes at the same time.

Natalynn likes this.
  31. Natalynn

Natalynn

About the navmesh, unity 5.6 has real-time navmesh updating and scraps the old one. I tried it alittle. But I think its instant on building a navmesh. Its also script based now. Have you tried this yet?

32. Natalynn

Natalynn

Sweet :), this mainly the update I'm personally waiting for overall.

mischa2k likes this.
  33. mischa2k

mischa2k

Haven't tried it yet.

34. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: finished the Item Mall and it will be available for everyone!

You can add items to the mall by simply setting their 'itemMallPrice' to > 0.
    The category buttons will be created automatically, based on the items that you offer.
    The player will have 'coins' as the item mall currency (you can also call it something else).
    For testing, coins can be increased in the Inspector. Later on, your payment callback can write into the Database character_orders table to increase a player's coins.
    2017-02-06_itemmall.png

camta005 and Ronith like this.
  35. Ronith

Ronith

thank you, very useful!
    I do not intend to sell coins for money. In my game I will use it as a veteran reward system. :)

mischa2k likes this.
  36. luis29vm

luis29vm

Hello, Thank you Vis, looks very good the item mall.

mischa2k likes this.
  37. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: the Database constructor will soon run 'CREATE IF NOT EXISTS' queries for each table, instead of only running them once when the Database.sqlite file is created. This makes the code shorter (no addition 'is this the first time?' check) and more robust for cases where tables were dropped or never created because of some error.

I haven't mentioned this in a while, but please vote on native F# support for Unity if you haven't already: https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/f-support . Functional languages are really great for servers and this feature would be a gigantic step to everyone's MMO dream!

This is the highest anticipated uMMORPG feature for me. I created F# kit for that reason, but we can only go so far without native support.

38. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

Good, Bad or Otherwise

Just wanted to mention this article:

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/02/06/deprecating-asset-server-support/

39. Natalynn

Natalynn

I never really messed with F#, recently looked up in and I believe used in .yml files. What is the future plan for this?

Script Manager maybe? Like write .yml scripts live and use command to reload all the scripts? Useful for chat commands, etc. Unless theirs other idea's. But let me know.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  40. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

To be honest, asset server was really bad in my opinion, many people think wrong of this and think it's the asset store. But I believe it's good they just.. clean up unity :) @CrandellWS

41. mischa2k

mischa2k

The plan would be to use it instead of C#. Probably something like 'uMMORPG F# Version'.

42. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:

V1.59 [released 2017-02-07]
    • libsqlite3.so compiled for Sqlite Android support
    • Tab Targeting

CrandellWS likes this.
  43. Natalynn

Natalynn

Wouldn't c++ be better o,O

44. mischa2k

mischa2k

Why?

45. Natalynn

Natalynn

Cause I never heard of F# code used for an entire mmorpg lol.. Anyways did you compare c# vs f# vs c++?

46. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: V1.60 was submitted for review.
    • Item Mall
    • Database constructor simplified: uses CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS now. Simplifies code and makes it more robust for cases where a table may have been deleted.
    • Added 'How to use the Item Mall' to the Documentation
    I never heard of UNET being used for an MMORPG either, so it's about time ;)

Yes, those 3 languages are very different from another. And you are right that a lot of MMORPGs use C++. This is also the reason why they all have 100.000+ lines of code and a large developer team. Combine those together and what you get is development time. A C++ MMORPG will cost you decades of man hours, which we don't have. This is why we have to make smart decisions. If you use Unity instead of raw C++ & OpenGL, that saves you 5 years of time, easily. If we use C# instead of C++, that might save you another 3 years of time, because C# is much easier to use and let's us focus more on the game and less on the language. If we want to go one step further then we would pick F# instead of C#. A (mostly) functional language with (mostly) immutable data structures is far less painful and saves us large amounts of troubles. Besides reducing development time / lines of code, I also prefer to work with a programming language that actually allows me to write elegant code instead of that verbose C# mess.

Of course, C++ is more powerful in a sense that you can do crazy memory optimizations and all kinds of pointer arithmetic. It all depends on what you optimize for. If you optimize for time of your life and simplicity, then C# is good and F# is better. If you optimize for power and raw speed, then C++ is your choice. Although you could make the point that immutable data structures allow for easier concurrency, which ultimately does give you better speed.

cioa00 likes this.
  47. luis29vm

luis29vm

Sound very Interesting this,if this F# are implement in the Unity. Im going vote

mischa2k likes this.
  48. zerjz

zerjz

Ok, I have been struggling with this for a few days now and I need help from someone. I'm trying to add a field to Skills for a particle effect that's set to each skill, and then play the effect when the player uses the skill. Is there some simple way of doing this? Has anyone written a plugin for it already?

49. jagatai33

jagatai33

@vis2k

While uMMORPG is still in major changes, is it possible to change the naming convention from "skills" to "abilities"?, skills (at least in my project) denotes things like Crafting Skills, Gathering Skills, Combat Skills etc ... while abilities denote things like Spells or Actions, at this moment i have my changes but for every major update its more things i have to sift thru when doing 'diffs' and merging.

Just a thought, perhaps other folks might feel the same way?
    -J

50. Ronith

Ronith

agree with you

CrandellWS likes this.