Search Unity

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

About the code changes: I had to change a LOT of things to make 1.5 work with the UI system. The good news is that it's now somewhat UI independent, so it could still work with OnGUI if someone wants to use that. Anyway, in order to add your previous content you probably have to add it to a fresh uMMORPG project step by step. I am sorry about the trouble, but all those code changes were necessary and did improve things a lot. Sometimes there is no way around to breaking things in order to get better code.

About the NPCs: I used the somewhat simplified system in 1.5 because that was just the easiest way to do it with the new UI system. I did however have an idea today about how to get the previous Npc Dialogue working with the new UI system and it will be in V1.7 again:
    2016-02-02.png

About the Player: I also like it much more now. The class is a bit long, but everything is there in one place and we don't have to do "player.Hp()" etc. in all those different components anymore. I haven't thought about making the damage/defense level dependent yet. The good news is that you should be able to do that yourself very easily. You can make the baseDamage/baseDefense properties an array (like with health and manage) and then modify the Damage() and Defense() functions to return baseDamage[level-1] etc., just like the HpMax and MpMax functions.

About WSAD: at first I want to implement player to player trading, because there is no way to do that yet (there is a way to move, so WSAD has not the highest priority). I will give WSAD a try soon afterwards though. You should know that there is no good way to do movement prediction via UNET just yet, and WSAD kinda needs movement prediction in order to 'feel' right. I can do WSAD easily by making it completely server sided, hence with a small delay on the client. But that might not 'feel' very good, hence why I didn't implement it yet. I wouldn't worry too much about that though. Most people will need a few years to finish their MMORPG content, and while UNET is not very complete yet, I am sure that we will see many more features during the next few months or so, that make things like WSAD movement much easier.

About the Quests: I am aware that they shouldn't necessarily be repeatable. I also have 'follow up quests' on my ToDo list here. I still have to play around with the whole quest idea in my head for a while, until I find a really easy way to do it. Generally speaking, I don't want to rush features with some hacky implementation, I'd rather give each one a lot of thought and find the most simple solution. That's kinda the whole point of uMMORPG, it's supposed to be the simplest solution to the MMORPG problem (which is quite a hard problem). I also added a Quests part to the Roadmap!

About the Skills: yes, Buffs were planned in the back of my head somewhere. I just added them to the Roadmap! I also added 'Skill Leveling' to the Roadmap. I have a second UNET test project on my computer where I am actually already playing around with that. That doesn't mean that I will implement it just yet, it just means that it could happen some day. Making the skill damage percentage based isn't really a priority right now, that kinda feels overkill for a simple MMORPG project in my opinion.

What do you mean with an avoidance or resist state?

About my giant GUI: I am not sure if this can be moved, I will take a look at it though.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. Krambolage

Krambolage

Hi vis2k,

From what I've read, your product looks very interesting.
    I have a few questions :
    - If one buys your product, what following versions does he get for free ?
    - As you're currently coding ranged attacks, I wonder wether those skills compute a raycasthit in case a third gameobject suddenly appear inbetween the caster and the target during casting ?
    - Do you think that implementing a flying system and a surface swimming system is easy within your own movement system (based on navmeshes) ?
    - Is it currently possible to display more than one skill bar and map skills with ctrl, alt... ?
    - About trading, will you make it so that players can trade items for money, items for items, items for both items and money ?

So far you've been very responsive, it's awesome, keep it up !
    :)

3. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey, good to hear.
    • Until now, all follow up versions were free. I haven't really thought about charging for updates yet. Maybe if a long time has passed since V1.0, or maybe if there is a V2.0 with a huge new feature. Or maybe never.
    • I haven't started with the range attacks yet, but I don't think that I will do Raycast checks for them. That's kinda overkill for a 'simple' MMORPG project.
    • Good question, flying/swimming would definitely need WSAD movement. Also this makes physics MUCH harder. The beauty of the NavMesh system is that we don't have to do many physics checks and people can't really cheat. A point is either on a navmesh (hence walkable) or it's not. There is literally no way that someone can move into a wall or something like that. For flying we would need precise physics calculations (continuous + interpolation mode), which would be somewhat computationally expensive. We would also need a current 'moveType' like 'swim/move/fly'. Move could easily be detect by checking if the agent is on a NavMesh. There's a whole lot of things to consider there, and a whole lot of things that can go wrong.
    • You could copy the current skillbar and modify it to your needs. The logic is all the same, you'd just have to modify the hotkeys and update it with the same code (just targeting the other skillbar panel).
    • The trading window will look like this:
    2016-02-02(001).png

4. Krambolage

Krambolage

Good good :)
    The trading windows is exactely what I am looking for.
    Thank you for your quick response

5. Tahlan

Tahlan

I appreciate the response. So I realize I wrote state however I meant stat. Right now, you have damage and defence. Defence negates damage on what I think is a 1-1 ratio. Avoidance would be a hit that does no damage. Indicating that the player missed or dodged the attack. You already have the mechanics for a skill to be a long range attack, with the right animation you could be shooting fireballs right now. This is where the resist avoidance stat would come in. AKA a target of any attack would have a % chance to take no damage from an attack, aka Dodge or Resist.

I know you have priorities on things that are needs and things that are wants. Its more a curiosity on if you feel its on the road map or if its to advanced for a basic mmo

6. Tahlan

Tahlan

Not sure why I did not think about this sooner. Instead of moving your giant GUI that always comes back every time I click play. I just moved my world to a different part of the grid and that seemed to work perfectly.

7. mischa2k

mischa2k

UPDATE: V1.6 is now on the Asset Store. Changes can be seen in the first post!

Good to know!

Ah I see what you mean. I will think about this for a while, I am not sure about it yet.

Ok good, because I also didn't find a way to move that UI in the Scene view yet :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. Tahlan

Tahlan

Tried to get 1.6 tonight. I downloaded and imported over my current project. I am able to hit play however at the login screen none of the buttons do anything when clicked. I did 2 versions, 1 where I replaced everything but the scene folder and another where I let it replace everything. The result is the same in both.

If I make a blank project it works great. Am I going to have to recreate my world after each update?

9. mischa2k

mischa2k

UPDATE: V1.7 was submitted to the Asset Store. Features can be seen in the first post. Here is a screenshot:
    2016-02-06_player_to_player_trading.png

Hey,
    I have been thinking about this for a while. I completely understand your problem and there is no easy way around it because I will always change code if it makes the project better/simpler.

I think the best solution is this: decide for one uMMORPG version and then just build your game on top of it without updating the uMMORPG core all the time. And if a new uMMORPG version is released with a feature that you really need, then you can still download it and build your game content around it again. The key is to not do it all the time, otherwise you might go crazy :)

And if a newer uMMORPG version has an important bugfix that you need, then you can just copy that code into your current game. A bugfix is just one line of code 99% of the time, so that should be doable.

The good news is that uMMORPG works really well at this point. 1.6 still had lots of improvements, but 1.7 didn't really need any, that's mostly new features.

10. takapi

takapi

I can't wait the new version. XD

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    mischa2k likes this.
  11. nixter

nixter

Wow! The trading system is done already? This kit is showing very good progress. I've set aside some money to buy this, but I'm going to need to be able to test multiplayer before I make a purchase.

All the Asset Store products are more or less equally vulnerable. Your customers are going to likely be releasing Windows/Mac/Linux versions of their games at some point so even if you guard against reverse-engineering it is still going to get into the wild for those who used pirated assets.

If you are really that worried about it, I would suggest using some obfuscation in the client, but seems kinda paranoid to me. The people who would pirate your code would never shell out for it otherwise, so no sales lost.

Anyways, I hope you will reconsider but of course it is your business and your decision. It is looking great.

12. Tahlan

Tahlan

I guess i'm just trying to figure out why it breaks. I was waiting for 1.7 after your debacle with that quest giver :p

All I have right now is a custom world with some mountains, a few landmark models and 5 monster entities. I lets the import replace everything except the scene and it breaks. What important piece is missing?

13. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Is there a way to use active control ? like with WASD keys and not Click to Walk?

14. Tahlan

Tahlan

WASD was addressed in an earlier post. Please see below or above.

About WSAD: at first I want to implement player to player trading, because there is no way to do that yet (there is a way to move, so WSAD has not the highest priority). I will give WSAD a try soon afterwards though. You should know that there is no good way to do movement prediction via UNET just yet, and WSAD kinda needs movement prediction in order to 'feel' right. I can do WSAD easily by making it completely server sided, hence with a small delay on the client. But that might not 'feel' very good, hence why I didn't implement it yet. I wouldn't worry too much about that though. Most people will need a few years to finish their MMORPG content, and while UNET is not very complete yet, I am sure that we will see many more features during the next few months or so, that make things like WSAD movement much easier.

mischa2k likes this.
  15. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: V1.8 is making great progress. Changes can be seen in first post as usual.

Hey,
    the good news is that I found the reason for the WebGL crashes (a UNET bug that I already reported) and managed to work around it. I am still busy with V1.8, but I might post a WebGL build that connects to my VPS when I am done with V1.8 and not too tired of it yet :)

Can you post some error messages from the console? Otherwise it's hard to tell.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  16. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.7 is now on the Asset Store! Changes can be seen in the first post; V1.8 was submitted to the store too.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  17. takapi

takapi

Hi, the new version, congratulations.
    By the way, when the skeleton drops the item, I sometimes can't get it.
    What should I do ? :(

18. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks!
    Can you go more into detail? What exactly happens, what works and what doesn't work? There was a small UI issue where clicking a dead monster that has no loot would show the loot window and then immediately close it (because there is no loot). This is just a minor UI issue and it is resolved in V1.8.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  19. takapi

takapi

I clicked the icon of Desert Cleaver, but I sometimes couldn't get it. :(

Attached Files:

20. Zapgun

Zapgun

Hi there.. your asset looks promising. Just wondering, how hard you think it would it be to adapt this code for use in a 3D space-based MMO?

21. Tahlan

Tahlan

Vis2k, You have laid the groundwork. When do you plan on implementing the UI for class choice?

22. mischa2k

mischa2k

Can you take a look at the server console and see if it shows any errors? And in the client console (build the game in development mode). You can also find the log files here: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

uMMORPG is 3D too, so if it's just people running around on planets etc., then it shouldn't really make much of a difference. It all depends on the features that you want to implement (spaceships, gravity, etc.).

Hey,
    The class choice UI is rather easy, we just need a class option and then different player prefabs for each class. I want to implement a ranged attack class (archer) though, so that requires the whole range attack logic and an actual archer model with animations and so on. This will be a lot of work, so I can't really give you any date yet, sorry.

23. anime_xD

anime_xD

WASD movemend comming soon ?

24. Zapgun

Zapgun

I'm specifically thinking of it in terms of space craft use. My current implementation doesn't use a lot of rigidbody physics (although there is some) - For example, forward space craft thrust is physics based, but turning is entirely under script control (as are most things).

25. Litwin

Litwin

You will add physic in the network? It is one of the most difficult parts of the MMORPG. I am interested in fly, swim and falling.

26. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: V1.9 will have character class selection:
    2016-02-15_characterclasses.png

I have no date for WSAD movement yet. It's not really easy to implement with UNET's current features, that's why it might take a while.

uMMORPG uses Unity's Navigation feature for movement, everything happens on a NavMesh. SpaceShips have to fly freely in space, so you would have to modify that part.

I try to avoid many physics calculations for performance reasons. All the movement happens on the NavMesh without any real physics calculations, which is really great for the performance and still perfectly safe. Things like flying and falling would require a whole lot of more physics checks and introduce a whole lot of problems. For example, you'd need a Rigidbody with Continuous collision detection to make sure that fast movement (or server lags) don't allow people to walk through walls, which is really expensive. Also there are many things to consider like drowning or combat between flying and grounded entities, or even flying and swimming entities. Then there are a lot more animations needed as well. It doesn't seem like the best idea for an Indie MMORPG, or even an AssetStore MMORPG project in my opinion.

Cyance and anime_xD like this.
  27. josephderosa

josephderosa

Absolutely cannot wait for 1.9's character class selection.

28. takapi

takapi

Hi, v1.8, congratulations. :)

29. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.8 is now on the Asset Store, changes can be seen in the first post.
    Working on 1.9 right now!

Good to know!

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Cyance likes this.
  30. Rowell

Rowell

Quick question. Do you have an official change log listing all the things that were added/fixed in the v1.8 update?

Thanks.

31. Cyance

Cyance

Hi Vis2K, this project you have is awesome :)

I got an issue. It is sometimes hard to select my target. I probably have to aim to the ground below the character.
    How can i create a bigger area where i can click on (select target). Is it a raycast to the Box collider near the feet?

Keep up the good work

32. JessieK

JessieK

I just picked this up and I really wish somewhere on the page it would have the disclaimer about only being able to use ONE scene right now as that is a very very limiting factor, I admit I could have researched in to UNET a bit more but still was something I found and immediately had a number of my ideas stomped on because of it.

But these are things I can work around, what I am really wanting is that WASD movement system, also are there any plans to have more complex enemy AIs, for example boss AI where it would cycle through moves that do different things? And how about status effects? (Silence, poison, burn etc)

33. Cyance

Cyance

The box is small. Made it bigger and it is working better. Is there a reason why you made these boxes small.
    Can i use a capsule collider and all around the character?

34. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Also i read and understand that WASD movement it not easy i am waiting that it will be implemented before i invest more.

35. Tahlan

Tahlan

Vis2k, I finally jumped back into this on 1.8. To see where how things looked. I am excited about 1.9 bringing the archer class.

Now let's recap, when you implemented the new UI you separated quest giver and seller NPC's. Since then you have put them back into a single entity, however I noticed today that a single NPC can only have a single quest. Prior to the great UI change, it was a changeable array and a single NPC could offer more than 1 quest.

Are there any plans to go back to allowing an NPC to give more than a single quest?

36. Cyance

Cyance

Hi all,

got an running animation issue. It looks like he is hurt :) lol
    Is it the timing/settings in the animation controller?

Sorry to ask but iam new in this. Hopefully someone canhelp me out. Thanks

37. Cyance

Cyance

Found it, missed a setting
    Can Transition To Self must be disabled....

Thank anyway

38. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: working on the Archer right now.

Can always be seen in the first post of this thread.

Thanks. Does this happen in your modified version or in the original uMMORPG files? An entity's main collider is in the children so that it updates it's position based on the animation. For example, the Alchemist NPC's main collider is under Alchemist/RotationFix/skeleton/b_pelvis. This stuff is important for dead monsters, because dead monsters will lay on the floor somewhere, hence we have to adjust the collider to them all the time. And by putting it on b_pelvis, it automatically follows the animation.

The small collider that is on entities like 'Alchemist' itself is simply for UNET's NetworkProximity component. It needs one, otherwise everything is invisible. That is the only reason why there is a small collider on 'Alchemist' etc.
    The other day I read somewhere on the UNET forum that the 5.4 UNET features( http://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap ) were supposed to have more dedicated server stuff like movement prediction, which would be needed for WSAD. But aparrently that was delayed, so no news there yet.

Yes, only one quest per NPC right now. You can easily modify this by having a list of quests and then also a list of quest buttons in the UI. The code for this is really weird and confusing though, because then one NPC dialogue button is for trading, some are for quests, one is for closing etc., that makes some weird UI code, hence why I kept it out for now (mostly to not confuse new people).

Okay, good to hear.

It says that on the linked documentation: http://noobtuts.com/unity/uMMORPG under 'How to add another Scene', but yea sorry about that, I guess people don't want to read through the whole thing before buying uMMORPG. It's not that much of a problem though, take a look at that link (or the documentation.pdf from uMMORPG), I explain how you can work around it until UNET allows multiple scenes some day.

About WSAD: answered in one of the above replies.

About the boss AI: I agree that this would be interesting. I have to find the balance between interesting features and simple code though, so that people who are new to uMMORPG have an easy time working with the code. I value this more than adding complex features that make the code harder to understand. However feel free to take a look at Monster.cs and play around with the AI code (state machine), perhaps you can implement it yourself with some trial and error.

About status effects: interesting idea. I can see how something like 'silence' or 'stun' would be cool. I'll think about that, again this depends on how much it overcomplicates the code :)

Greetings

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Cyance likes this.
  39. Cyance

Cyance

another idea maybe :) team hunting and share the loot

40. Cyance

Cyance

Inventory chest or other objects where you can store items in :)

For the quests as a reward an item.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  41. Cyance

Cyance

Hi Vis2K i forgot the capsule collider on the pelvis and everything works perfectly.
    Also the server from namecheap is working perfect with unet.

Thanks for your support looking forward to your next update :)

42. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: finished all features for V1.9 (Archer class). It required a few architecture improvements. The Projectile class for Arrows can also be used for Fireballs and other magical attacks, which is really cool.
    I will do some more testing now and then submit V1.9 to the Asset Store soon.
    2016-02-21_archer_and_arrow.png

Good to hear. That placeholder collider on each Entity (which was required for the NetworkProximityChecker) won't be needed in V1.9 anymore, so then it's only the pelvis collider without any confusion.

Cyance likes this.
  43. podperson

podperson

Some questions.

To what extent can you differentiate client-vs-server code execution. E.g. can you disable all client-side updates for things that are far away? Can you unload stuff on the client? (I assume the server can live in a world of colliders with no actual geometry (except for nav meshes?)

It seems to me that it should be possible to implement a pretty decent "zone" system within the single scene if the answers to these questions are what I hope :)

44. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey,
    that's all built into UNET already. NetworkBehaviours always have a list of observers, so each client only receives status updates for clients / monsters / npcs that are around him. You can control the range for that in the NetworkProximityChecker component. UNET actually solved this whole problem pretty decently by using Unity's fast physics system (each network entity rebuilds its observers with a spherecast once a second), this way there is no need for any complicated zone data structures.

As for unloading stuff to the clients: the whole idea of UNET is pretty much to do logic on the server and synchronize everything to the client without worrying too much. That being said, you can still code things to only run on clients, for example damage popups and animations for monsters, npcs and players only happen client sided in uMMORPG. A dedicated server sees none of that because the animation update function has a [ClientCallback] attribute. If we would remove that attribute then it would also happen on the server. If we would give it a [ServerCallback] attribute then it would only happen on the server. Simple as that.

45. Cyance

Cyance

Hi i have a question,

if you look at the scriptableObjects --> Items for the weapons the Catergory is EquipmentWeaponSword
    And if you look at the players avatar under weaponMount you see the component Player Equipment Location.
    The Accepted Caterogy is EquipmentWeapon.
    It is different.

For the Shield it is the same. Why is that?

46. mischa2k

mischa2k

If the location is 'EquipmentWeapon' then it can contain 'EquipmentWeaponSword', 'EquipmentWeaponSpear', 'EquipmentWeaponDagger' etc. If the location is 'EquipmentWeaponSword' then it can contain any item who's category starts with 'EquipmentWeaponSword'.

Note that the location type is changed to 'EquipmentWeaponSword' in V1.9 though, because I didn't want the warrior to be able to equip a 'EquipmentWeaponBow'.

Cyance likes this.
  47. Azthetik

Azthetik

Alright, I purchased this asset and for some reason when I build the scene (nothing edited) it loads forever and the window never pops up.

48. Azthetik

Azthetik

Will there be an easy way to make it so that any character can equip any weapon, sandbox MMO style?

49. mischa2k

mischa2k

Do you use Windows? I remember reading about a Unity bug where builds would take forever because of some Speedtree material. It might help if you delete the trees from the Hierarchy or try it on another computer.

Sure, select your player prefab and under Equipment Types, set the first type to 'EquipmentWeapon' instead of 'EquipmentWeaponSword' etc.
    And then find the 'weaponMount' child object of the player prefab (you may have to drag it into the Hierarchy first) and change that object's PlayerEquipmentLocation script's Accepted Category to 'EquipmentWeapon' to make sure that it also shows in 3D.
    That's it.

50. Cyance

Cyance

Hi Vis2k, how can i change my starting spawn position.

at the moment it will spawn in position -110,152,42
    and if i die i will go to my starting spawn point (startpos)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016