Search Unity

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. JBR-games

JBR-games

I put some thought into this when i found out there can be only one playable scene, as @cioa00 has mentioned you can have multiple areas, and teleport between them .

Research "floating point errors" but to my understanding distance in unity is calculated with 7 digits. So 1,000,000 or 10.00000 so the further you move from an origin the less precise your movement becomes. From what ive have read you should try to keep at least 3 decimal points. So your map should be 19999.998 maxsize.. Centered at the origin. Which would give 9999.999 of movenent in x & y from origin ,Basically 20 km. Now if you set your camera's max view distance to say 800m . you could stack 10ish 20 km maps on top of each other each approximately 1000m apart. This would allow for 200km of playable land space.. So dungeons could easily be part of this, and since they would stack closer using some culling system you may be able to go above that 200km size a bit. Im pretty sure that most indies will not need over 200km...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    cioa00 and CaptainMurphy like this.
  2. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Or you can use camera layers to show/hide things on the same level or only slightly offset. We already do this for the camera and the overhead camera difference of what it sees. We are adding in a 'port' scene that is actually just a differently scaled area that is showing only that ports layer.

cioa00 and JBR-games like this.
  3. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Hello Everyone!

There are a way to use skinned meshes itens now?
    When I try to instantiate this like a weapon, the skinned mesh dont work.

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: still playing around with the FSM, like I explained before.

Exactly. Monster skills will be ScriptableObjects too.

This feature is still on the roadmap, sorry.

CaptainMurphy and JBR-games like this.
  5. cioa00

cioa00

@JBR games First attempt was to use just one big terrain layer but i wasen't aware that you can use also layers on each top or just different terrain layers. But after some testing different terrain layers works too :)

JBR-games likes this.
  6. jjobby

jjobby

There is a chance that spawned player cannot be placed on navigate mesh. The saved y position in XML database is -9.9 which caused the problem. I'm not sure what's the reason. I controlled the player normally with both mouse and WASD and the player position before I stop Unity was fine. Don't know why it saved at such position.

7. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Good Morning!
    Well I have some issue, when I Setup a Lan Server in My Home and play with the archer, the arrow goes slow(lagged) and truncate, but when I play with the "Server Play", it be ok.
    I have one vps too and the result are the same, arrow get lagged.

I have 37 Monsters in a low-mid map, 80fps, my Notebook Are One i7 with nvidea geforce 750m.

8. tequyla

tequyla

hi,

is possible to teleport in others scenes ?

++

9. JBR-games

JBR-games

Currently you can only use only ONE scene as a unet limitation.. the teleporter only moves you to different locations in your current scene.

You can add multiple terrains to your Scene and then teleport between them. Read the posts above for more details..

10. mischa2k

mischa2k

Please keep an eye on that and see if it happens again / why it happened. We use player.transform.position to automatically save the Vector3, so we don't actually modify y in the code before saving it.

Good morning. That happens because UNET's NetworkTransform interpolation is weird. We are basically waiting for them to fix it. There's also an improved NetworkTransform script somewhere on the UNET forum I think.

11. VE_GAME

VE_GAME

when about planned Kraft ?
    :)I want to buy your Assist after its introduction

12. KriMar

KriMar

Yeah, waiting on Crafting and resource gathering also. Maybe object placing like crafted items?

Liked it a lot more now WASD movement is in, great work on that.

13. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: submitted V1.27 to the asset store for review. Changes can be seen in the first post.

I redesigned the whole skill system to live inside Entity.cs and be usable by players, monsters and npcs together. This saves a lot of code. The Entity.cs class now has some very simple and clear functions to check if someone can cast a skill, if someone can cast it onto the current target, and if the distance between someone and their target is ok. It also has a function to apply the skill effects onto the target. Starting and waiting for the cooldown are still done in the state machines.

There are also several smaller changes to make the whole skill system more smooth. It works really great now and the code is much easier to understand.

JBR-games, tequyla, cioa00 and 2 others like this.
  14. cioa00

cioa00

Can't wait for that :).
    By the way, i`ve noticed that when im using WSAD movement then player get's stuck on stairs. It is fine when player is using mouse to point movement direction or when the player is looking little bit up and moving in the same time. Does anyone has any advice how to fix it?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  15. Roughrider

Roughrider

A flat plane on stairs with no mesh renderer, but with the collision mesh enabled. This is SOP in most games. This is weird though, as the camera position shouldn't have a bearing on the angle threshholds of the player controller.

16. JBR-games

JBR-games

Should be using nav mesh so colliders shouldnt be used anyway.

17. jagatai33

jagatai33

Nice update!

Cyance and mischa2k like this.
  18. Roughrider

Roughrider

Last I checked navmesh uses geometry? No? Colliders are geometry.

19. Sirxy

Sirxy

Hi all :)

first thanks for updates and great work

i face strange behavior not rly sure when and why it happened
    before a day i noticed my drag and drop is broken...
    then i noticed exceptions like "UnityException: Tag: 506c61796572 is not defined."

after this noticed few fields are with strange value
    1. in inventory slot for UI d&d script - handler tag were converted from "Player" to "506c61796572"
    2. in scene network manager - network manager MMO, i noticed my Network Info > Network Address were converted from "aws.sirxy.com" to "6177732e73697278792e636f6d"
    3. same as 2. for match host it become "6d6d2e756e65742e756e69747933642e636f6d"

not sure when this S*** happen and do not know what rly is changed in addition of 3 things above

anyone faced such crap or ideas why this happen for some fields/parameters and for other it do not?

Thanks in advance
    and for great work ;-)
    looking forward for
    - skinned items (gear)
    - profesions/crafting
    - resource gat.
    ;-P

20. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: found and fixed one bug in the new skill system when adding it to uMOBA. So V1.27 was resubmitted.

Can you show me a screenshot or a video of it?

This happened to me too a week ago. Unity accidentally messed up hundreds of values in the world.scene file. Many tags were converted to strange values like you mentioned. I ended up deleting everything and using a backup.

Maybe we can figure out what causes it and then report the bug to Unity if it happens again. So far I know that it never happened before 5.3.5.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  21. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hello @vis2k, I like what I see here! Very nice demo! Although i'm curious if anyone has a game running with uMMORPG already? Even if it's in development, I would love to test the Multiplayer out. In other words, the demo is great, but it does not allow me to test multiplayer. I would like to test multiple connections into one game world! I would also like to see some special effects like Magic, or When using an Item. Currently I don't see any special effects in this kit... are effects easy to add-in? Also, what about SoundFX? I'm not able to demo any sound with the current uMMORPG Demo...

If I could Demo this Kit with SoundFX, Special Effects, and Multiplayers that would be greatly appreciated! I'll be happy to demo, test somone else's game if they have something up!

Finally, I just want to note that I'm interested in uMMORPG Framework is because I think it may help me to salvage all the work I put into my MOBA game Heroes of Rune that was never completed. Sadly I ran out of funds to finish development. So I might be interested in working with someone here in a partnership to port Heroes of Runes Assets over into this Framework and convert the game into an MMORPG. So if you are interested in working with me, or joining my team, please let me know. You can check out my company website MijiKai Game Studio here: http://mijikaigames.com, and Heroes of Rune website here: http://heroesofrune.com

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  22. jonkuze

jonkuze

Ops, two more questions for the developer... @vis2k... since you are using XML for the database, while I understand this is much faster than SQL. Have you seen any issues with File Writes? Example what if two or more players need to write to the same XML File? Are you using one single XML file as the Database that all users will write to, or do each user write to their own unique generated XML File to update their player stats?

What about the NPCs, Enemies etc...? Are they dependent on the XML Database, or are they simply objects that you pre-define in the Unity Editor and they spawn, or re-spawn when the server is running? In other words they live inside the running server binary data, not defined in XML then spawned in the game world?

23. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks. Testing multiple connections before purchasing it is requested a lot, so I just added that part to the FAQ list:

• Can you host a uMMORPG dedicated server so we can connect to it and test with multiple accounts before purchasing? Using a dedicated server means paying bills, worrying about DDOS attacks, checking availability every day, restarting it, transferring the latest builds to it, etc. I understand that it would help people to test uMMORPG more thoroughly, but my time is limited and it's best spent working on the code to solve problems and make uMMORPG better, instead of dealing with a game server. So for now the WebGL demo with 'Play & Host' mode should be enough. It also has the benefit of always working, hence everyone who is interested in uMMORPG will always be able to test it with the WebGL demo, no matter what.
    Someone posted screenshots of a ship MMO in this thread a few days ago. Someone else also notified my via Email that their MMO goes onto steam greenlight during the next few days.

What kind of special effects? You could easily find the place in the code where damage is dealt and then instantiate a blood splatter effect etc. Or add particles around your skill projectiles, to have flaming arrows and so on.

I didn't add any sounds yet, mainly because I don't have any and secondly because sounds are Unity basics. uMMORPG's biggest goal is to get the MMORPG networking code right.

Your game project looks nice. Good luck and keep us updated about your progress!

There should be no issues when writing files. Our scripts all run in one thread, so concurrency is not an issue. Players are saved into "accountName/playerName.xml", so nothing can really go wrong. It's not one big file or anything.

Skills, Items, Quests, Npcs, Monsters etc. are all taken care of with Unity. Skills and items are just ScriptableObjects, you can modify them directly in the Inspector. You can add monsters to the world by simply dragging the prefab into the scene. We only need XML files to save player positions, health, level, inventory etc.

Everything is as simple as it gets. This asset is supposed to make MMORPGs possible for indie developers, so have to get rid of any complexity.

Let me know if you have more questions.

24. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: I got rid of SpeedTree and LOD and placed the lowest polygon tree by hand. The trees now use about 90k instead of 400k polygons, which has a great impact on performance.

I also updated the WebGL demo. It runs incredibly smooth now without SpeedTree, has the option to test both classes and it has the new skill system. So if any of you has some free time, please play around with it and see if you can properly cast all skills onto monsters/yourself, cancel skills, let monsters attack you, run out of their range, etc.

I read through every change multiple times, but big modifications like that are always a bit risky.

25. jagatai33

jagatai33

Yeah that made a world of a difference with regards to the tree's!, skills feel much more responsive especially skill canceling during a cast (will allow my players to 'juke' other players in PvP), from the WebGL test all seems to work smoothly same for the animation when canceling a skill mid way (admittedly i have a castbar that i use on my project so its a little tricky without it) but visually the skills seems to cancel and stop its current animation smoothly.

Looking forward to these changes! thanks again for all your hard work!

26. cioa00

cioa00

One fast test and found one strange issue. When i killed first skeleton it didn't fall down on the ground and tried to start attack animation all the time. It seems like skeleton lost it position or something like that. But when i killed other skeletons then i didn't notice that issue. Also i did't see anything strange on console window, so it might be also just somekind glitch between my network and test site or then it was because it wasen't correctly synced since web demo is hosted and playable in the same time.

Another interesting tiny no so big issue is when you cast healing buff and your character is facing toward fireplace direction, then character is rotating toward skeletons side.

But overall it seems pretty good. I really like that when you cast the skill it won't just stop after using that skill and continous using (i belive its normal attack skill).

27. jonkuze

jonkuze

@vis2k thanks so much for the reply! I do have a question about managing game updates... I imagine since we use the same unity build in headless mode on the server, every-time we update the game we must update the headless build on the server, and restart the server. Correct me if i'm wrong...

Now in my case, I would prefer the clients to use WebGL / Web Browser to access and play the game. For this I don't need a patcher correct to keep all the clients up to date? As I should only have to upload the latest WebGL Build to my Web-server and all clients will get the update by re-loading the page. Let me know if this sounds about right... I just want to be sure how updates will work in my case just using the browser as client.

28. cioa00

cioa00

@Kuroato I would say that you are correct. If you make changes then you need update headless server and also webgl files on your server. On that case you don't need any patcher. You probably just need to make sure that webgl files/website files are loaded everytime as new (you probably need to serve files as non-cacheable files).

jonkuze likes this.
  29. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

30. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks for testing.

The first one is a missing 'skillCur' reset in the new skill system, hence the animator thinks that the monster is still attacking. Will fix it in the morning and then resubmit again. Thanks a lot!

The second one is the 'look at target' part in UpdateCasting. Interesting that no one every noticed that, seeing how it's there since the beginning. Will put it on my ToDo list and see if I can find a nice way to make that work better.

Yes, we have to update the server every time by stopping it, replacing the headless build file and then starting it again.

Yes, if the clients use WebGL then you also have to upload the WebGL build to your website.

If this becomes annoying than you could create a script (.sh, .py etc.) to automatically upload the latest WebGL build to your website and headless build to your server. Google the 'scp' command, it makes transfering files to your server incredibly easy:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. scp headless.zip root@1.2.3.4:~/headless.zip

jonkuze likes this.
  31. jonkuze

jonkuze

Sorry about the asset no longer being developed on my end, thanks for your support! Regarding the MOBA game kit vis2k is working on. It looks great but honestly I think the uMMORPG framework would be a better fit for Heroes of Rune. Mainly because I was aiming for a unique MOBA gameplay style that included the 3rd person camera and free roaming ability similar to that in an mmo. So i might use uMMORPG to make a small Multiplayer Game for now... then later maybe I can expand upon it. I already have all the assets I need, a micro open world, players, npcs etc... I just need to drop them into uMMORPG! I'm looking forward to playing with it soon!

pushingpandas likes this.
  32. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks @ciobanuv and @vis2k for the replies! I'm looking foward to playing with uMMORPG soon! Tomorrow is payday... so lets see! lol... I'll keep you all posted on my progress. I definitely want to port Heroes of Rune over to this framework!

33. Cyance

Cyance

Is there an option to change WSAD. at the moment it works for A and D it will turn to the left or right.

What i used to is if i hit A my character will step to the left without turning. Using my mouse you will look around. So if you hit W it will walk to the direction where I am looking at.

34. cioa00

cioa00

Since uMMORPG is using unity own input manager settings for WSAD movement, then open Unity editor and open menu Edit->Project Settings->Input, which will open InputManager window. Open Axis and change keycodes which can be found under Horizontal and Vertical options.

More info about input settings can be found from Unity own docs - https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-InputManager.html

Edit: oh, seems i misreaded your question. I guess asset author or someone else could point out right solution for you.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  35. danielnetzer

danielnetzer

Small bug I found is when you kill a monster that is running back to her normal patrol zone (resseting) she will start glitching instead of falling and dieing.

36. mischa2k

mischa2k

WSAD without turning (aka strafing) is possible, but then we would need extra 'walk horizontal' animations and a whole lot more animator parameters. So I decided to use the traditional one for now.

Can you explain what you mean with glitching? And can you tell me exactly what to do to see this bug?

37. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.27 was accepted and is on the Asset Store already! Changes can be seen in the first post. As I explained above, the skill system was completely redesigned and mostly lives in Entity.cs now.

Please report any issues that you find!

JBR-games likes this.
  38. cioa00

cioa00

Seems everything works well, at least couple first test run didn't brought anything buggy.
    Seems giving additional buffs/skills for enemies is working well too :).
    During the test i`ve noticed that when player dies and respawns, then his/her buffs are still going on. Shouldn't the buffs be gone when player respawns?
    About one old bug, somehow i forget that in past. When you are playing with archer, then arrow start position seems to misplaced. It starts flying on the left side on player just little bit away from the player. If im not wrong someone was pointing that bug already. Just not sure if it is easy to fix.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  39. cioa00

cioa00

This is something interesting - when you use WSAD movement and hold down keys A and S and moving downside, then attacker stops walking/running and it just slips on the floor. Same happens when you hold down keys S and D and moving up.

Edit: after some more testing, it seems that issue happens during the time when enemy tries to attack the player. And issue doesn't raise up all the time.

40. danielnetzer

danielnetzer

attack a mob get it to low hp, reset the mob (walk far away from it) then kill the mob while on the way back to the original spawn area.
    i'm pretty sure that once you implement the new FSM things like that wont happen since a NOHP state will result in death, as of now it seems like the mob is trying to die but its also trying to chase me so its stuck in an in between situation.

41. mischa2k

mischa2k

Buffs will be stopped upon death in the next version, good catch!

The arrow spawns at the weapon's projectilemount position at the end of the animation. It spawns at the left of the player because that's where the bow is after the animation. To make it spawn more in front of the player, we would either have to shoot the projectile some time during the animation, which would be overly complicated, or modify the projectilemount so that it spawns in front of the player. I will look into that.

Another good find. I have this on my ToDo list now. Probably just an animation parameter issue, nothing critical.

Thanks, fixed in the next version. Was an animation parameter issue too.

42. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: resubmitted V1.28 with the following fixes to the issues discussed above:
    • Monster now has a distance check before trying to cast a spell on a target in the aggro radius
    • Player and Monster buffs are now stopped upon death in OnDeath
    • Monsters now move into skill cast range * 0.8 again
    • Monsters and Players now use the 'speed' parameter instead of 'RemainingDistance' parameter for the movement animation. Also added a comment to explain why this is the only working option
      • Also fixes the 'sliding' issue when using WSAD movement for vertical movement.
    • Added additional 'move to start if target is not in follow distance' checks to monster state machine

Also updated the WebGL demo to V1.28, so please test it and see if your skill system issues are fixed.

The good news is that the new skill system brought light to those issues that would have been hard to find otherwise.

I will probably provide a WebGL experimental build before releasing new features from now, so that we can all test them for a while and have perfectly stable releases at all times.

43. Litwin

Litwin

@vis2k
    Great work with uMMORPG! :)

A question, you are working with MMORPG and MOBA, any possibility to you create a MMOFPS with uNET?

44. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Hello Everyone!
    I saw your demo of the uMoba Kit, and I need to ask for the "partner or friendly" skeleton script from this.
    Can you share it with the uMMORPG kit? Cause this can be turned into a "Pet System" or "Summon System" I think that can be done with some few ajusts.
    Can you bring it to us?

JBR-games likes this.
  45. dhogan

dhogan

EDIT : I brought in a ramp piece and testing with it makes me think this may just be a simple sorting issue. Sloped mesh areas can cause the target indicator to show up normally.

Maybe an easy fix is a slight Y offset?
    uMMORPG_select_bug_002.jpg

I wanted to try and bring my Castle Kit into uMMORPG, so I started with a simple tower. While I was setting up and baking the nav mesh, I discovered a possible bug with the target/selection indicator.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced something similar and how they fixed it.
    uMMORPG_select_bug_001.jpg
    1) Click to move is OK and shows the target indicator. The target indicator disappears if WASD is used, which is as designed.
    a) If I select the player, the target indicator does not appear, which it should.​
    2) Target will appear on any object that has an active Mesh Collider component.
    a) The Player will attempt to move to the target indicator as the nav mesh allows. So, you can move around the tower by clicking on the sides.
    b) In this case, my Castle Kit has separate low-poly collision; disabling the Mesh Collider component fixes the issue.​
    3) The Skeletons and Alchemist no longer show the selection indicator after the change in the nav mesh.
    a) Deleting the tower model and rebuilding the nav mesh returns the target/selection indicator to the original behavior.​
    4) As in #3, even when dead the selection icon is missing from the Skeleton.

Related to this is that an Archer can fire through the tower or tent both with or without a Mesh Collider.
    I did try adding a Nav Mesh Obstacle component, but that didn't change the behavior.
    UI thoughts :
    1) It would be nice to have a count down of remaining time displayed on buffs, similar to the cool down on the casting bar.
    2) When you have multiple UI windows open, selecting one should bring it to the foreground. They seem to have a fixed order.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  46. dhogan

dhogan

I've been working some more with the Nav Mesh trying to see if I can solve the target indicator problem and found an optimization I thought others might be interested in.
    uMMORPG_navmesh_001.jpg
    1) Because the tree branches get close to the ground, they create lots of holes when the nav mesh is baked.
    Besides the potential problems with pathing, there might also be times when you want to let an NPC or player move through the branches/leaves/vines but not the trunk.​

2) One fix for this is to use the 'Nav Mesh Obstacle' component instead of flagging the object as 'Navigation Static.'
    In the demo scene, you can select all the trees and clear the 'Navigation Static' box, then add the 'Nav Mesh Obstacle' component to the prefab. The settings shown seemed to work pretty well.​

Bake the nav mesh again, and it should be much simpler.

47. dhogan

dhogan

I'm actually still getting this problem in 1.28, running a client build and dedicated server with the editor. The selection will clear when the skeleton de-spawns, but if I wait and don't select anything else when the skeleton re-spawns it will be selected again. It also seems like I keep aggro if I stay a distance equal to the aggro range from it's spawn point..

EDIT : I made a video, please excuse the quality as I've only done this a couple of times before. https://db.tt/keLzWcoS

Also, if combat ends while a special attack is still on cool down, should it still start the default attack? My first thought is yes, or perhaps have that as an option for the skill script similar to Followup Default Attack.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  48. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: found two smaller issues when adding the new state machine to uMOBA. Will do some more testing and then submit the next version probably this week.

Maybe some day.

You can't easily use that script for pets. There are a lot more complicated things needed.

About the target indicator: the perfect solution would be a shader that draws it on the surfaces, so it works everywhere. On rocks, slopes, around corners etc. Maybe we will do that some day.

1) About the target indicator selection: can you tell me exactly what to do to see how it doesn't show when selecting the player? I just tried it after WSAD movement and it worked for me.

2) Yes it will appear on every object. It's intended to be that way. Are there any cases where this is not good?

3) They probably still had the indicator, but just below the navmesh / collider. Rebuilding and properly adjusting the colliders is always necessary. Although the shader that I mentioned above would not have problems with that.

4) What do you mean with that?

About the archer shooting through walls: there are no collision checks at all in uMMORPG right now. We only use the navmesh for the walkable areas. The navmesh will have holes in it where there are walls etc., so no collision was needed so far. This is great because it saves us a lot of performance. Consider a MMO with 1000 entities on one server. Using PhysX to do all kinds of collisions would slow things down a lot. So for now, it's kinda neat to have those performance benefits. Some time later when we can use the Simulation Server to split the game world to multiple servers, then using all kinds of physics might be interesting again.

The buffs have a blue bar below them, not sure if you noticed that. That blue bar is the remaining time (relative).

About the window order: that's true. I am always a bit hesitant to change the hierarchy order for things. For example, the Popup window should always be at the front until the user acknowledges the messages. There are all kinds of weird things that could go wrong if we start rearranging the current order. Not saying that's impossible. This again is also open for discussion, we would have to think about if it's really worth it or not.

Please wait for V1.29 and then try it again. It will have a new deterministic finite state machine, which solves all kinds of state related issues. For players and for monsters too, including the aggro issue that you mentioned.

What do you mean with the combat ends part? What happens and what should happen?

49. nixter

nixter

I'm trying to share data between client and server before the player is spawned. SyncVars don't work at that point.

In my case, it is because I want to display an active players list during character creation. Is there a way to share data with the NetworkManager? Or should I try to spawn a placeholder Player object on connection and have the true Player object replace it?

50. dhogan

dhogan

What the ramp model made me think is that the target icon is below the render mesh on flat surfaces. Raising it slightly might be all that's needed - would that be tweaked on the prefab, or in the script that handles selections?

I added a new environment model and rebuilt the nav mesh, and it quit working. Removing the model - so going back to the default demo scene - caused it to work again. Basically it's only working as designed in the demo scene.

I would expect it to only work on 'selectable' objects - mobs, NPCs, interactive props, and the nav mesh - not on any surface with a collider. In the one image it's on the side of the tower, which is just a static environment model.

It was just another example of how the icon wasn't showing regardless of mob state. I was trying to be thorough in testing before calling it a bug.

Do you think a line of sight check might be a better solution than physics? It would still have the problem of shooting through objects sometimes, but it would be better and hopefully not have very much overhead.

I did notice that, and I suppose the user could modify that display as they need.

I don't know enough about the UI yet to know how it handles window priority, I was simply assuming that if a window got focus, it could be set to move to the front. I would also expect that the Popup would open in front and lock focus until dismissed, but again, I don't know the UI system that well.

Ok.

For example, the Player is fighting two mobs. The one currently targeted dies, the Player selects the second and accidentally presses the Power attack button instead of the Normal attack. If the Power attack is on cool down, nothing happens, they have to press the Normal attack. If an attack skill is not available, it seems like a good option would be to trigger the Normal attack instead. Again, I suppose the user could modify that behavior as they need.