Search Unity

uMech - Total Mecha Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RedBiltong, Nov 8, 2014.

?

What Should uMech Focus on?

1. More AAA mecha models

2. More advanced uMech system (script base)

3. Mobile friendly version

4. Performance optimization

5. Balanced development (models, system and optimization)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

uMech - Total Mecha Kit
    Avandgarde Mecha/Robot Physics & Models

What is uMech?
    uMech is a total package for developing realistic mecha in your game with Unity 3D. That includes
    • inner skeleton base (shown in the screenshot above)
    • modular armor variants
    • modular weapon variants
    • pneumatic joint simulator (C# script)
    • diesel engine simulator (C# script) and effects
    • 2k~4k textures of diffuse, spec/gloss, normal, AO and height (Unity4, Skyshop, Unity5 compatible)
    What can I do with uMech?
    uMech is really a high quality Mecha kit with scripts that will make your life easier, that means FPS/TPS (eg TitanFall) are natively supported with scripts that allows you to simply choose from available control scripts. That also means, IK driven animations and weapons system (and effects).
    Included Texture Maps?
    • Diffuse Map - 4k
    • Diffuse Map(RGB) + Gloss(A) - 4k
    • Specular Map(RGB) + Gloss(A) - 4k
    • Normal Map - 4k
    • Height Map - 2k~4k
    • Occulusion Map - 2k~4k
    • Metalness Map + Roughness(A) - not sure about this one about its neccessity
    uMech Updates?
    Initial release on the Unity Asset Store will feature the Striker model (shown below) and soon will be followed by an update with additional models. uMech will keep expanding the library so that there are many available Mechas.
    Preview Download?
    Download a standalone model preview >> HERE <<
    Download a quick third person game made with uMech >> HERE << (version 0.5)
    Download a quick third person game made with uMech for OSX >> HERE << (version 0.3)

Unity5 Screenshots

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. imtrobin

imtrobin

Is demo supposed to be movable?

3. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Unfortunately no, and this was to prevent any abuse of the demo materials. I uploaded a stanalone build as a demo instead of the conventional web player because this asset is really focused on bringing high quality graphics and I did not want to showcase it with limited features that webplayer is. Nevertheless, the full package is almost ready and I will make sure to release high quality videos.

The final package will have IKs and other nifty stuff to have a mecha running around in your project very soon.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  4. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Just uploaded more screenshots and standalone preview for download. Enjoy

5. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Uploaded a 90% textured version with Unity5 beta13.

Let me know what you guys think. I think I will submit to the asset store very soon.

6. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

Bit confused, is this supposed to be a kit for Titanfall like Mech combat?

Some clarification would be great!

7. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Most definitely, uMech is really meant to be a universal solution. It will be suitable for FPS/TPS uses although given its high level of detail and degree of quality, it may not be the most suitable kit for games that will have birds eye view like RTSs.

I will be uploading a preview version soon that will show how the movements of the mechas will work.

8. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Do not use any beta version to put something on the store... just an advice

9. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Are you talking about the Unity beta or the asset's status? Hope you can clear it up. Thanks.

10. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Just don't use a beta version of unity to upload an asset to the store. That's what I meant.

11. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Thanks for the heads up! I will probably use 4.6 to upload along with textures needed for Unity5

12. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

sure, it just sucks that you prepared all your PBR materials already when unity 5 isn't released yet... At least it's already done and ready for an update when 5 is released. Cool Mechas by the way.

13. eridani

eridani

Is this more of a model package or will it be a fully featured FPS/TPS movement/combat system featuring mechas?

If it's just barebones in that department, will it be compatible with FPS kits like UFPS? Thank you

14. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

It depends on what barebones is for you, but the kit will have ready made scripts in addition to have the mecha function by simply drag and dropping.

As for uFPS compatibility, I am not totally sure as I've never used one before, but I don't see how it wouldn't after some tweaks. Alternatively, you could wait for the next preview update which will feature locomotion and weapons control. I am a firm believer that seeing it with your own eyes is better than thousand words :)

Hope this helps.

15. eridani

eridani

Cool thanks, I will wait for the demo!

16. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

but given that Unity5 beta is quite stable and that there are Unity4 PBR solutions, it probably isn't going to be much of a problem...or at least I think it is. But I could be wrong...

Thanks for letting me know though, Asset Store for me is something that I am not too familiar with...

17. hopeful

hopeful

With free PBR from Lux, and Lux seemingly compatible with U5 PBR, it's hard to see where the problem would be.

18. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

same here, although rosor's got a point about Betas at the moment. I am not even sure if Unity Asset Store will accept Beta uploads.

19. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

wasn't aware of this compatibility. But the most important thing being the fact that it'd make more sense to create the asset with a currently released version of unity and not a beta one. ( more customers, plus the fact that unity asset store highly recommend not to do that)

Edit: you can upload to the store with beta versions... simply avoid to do it. Or mention that you can provide a unity 5.x version of it through your website after verifying the invoice #

20. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

hmm..didn't know that the store highly recommends not to do so...
    Thanks for sharing that. I had no idea about that. I guess I will upload with 4.6 with bumpspec shaders but with textures that will work with the PBR systems too.

So that will be

Diffuse Map
    Diffuse Map(RGB) + Gloss(A)
    Specular Map(RGB) + Gloss(A)
    Normal Map
    Height Map
    Occulusion Map
    Metalness Map + Roughness(A) - not sure about this one about its neccessity at this moment

and the users can use whatever suits their need. I suppose this will be the best for those who'd like to use the standard Unity4 shaders, PBR(Skyshop, Lux etc) and Unity5 Standard Shaders.

hopeful likes this.
  21. eridani

eridani

Will you have armored versions? Right now your mech looks like the Matrix APU. Would be cool to have external armor like earlier versions of the Matrix APU:

apu.jpg apu00.png

22. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

yes! and yes the striker was inspired by the APU and Avatar's AMP suit! and yes there will be armor attachments although at this stage, I aim to finish the inner skeleton first.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    eridani likes this.
  23. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Primary Weapon for Striker (WIP)

randomperson42 likes this.
  24. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Primary Weapon for Striker Attached to the body

25. eridani

eridani

Looks really cool. Hope you include some lightweight mobile versions

26. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Probably not given that uMech is really meant to be for standalone builds and for those who want graphical fidelity on their projects.

I am planning to work on some LODs once there are more mechs available on the package and maybe the lowest LOD can be used for mobile purposes but otherwise, I don't currently plan to have it optimized for mobile platforms. Sorry

27. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Screenshot of IK limbs and foot placement
    FPS Cockpit view (the actual cockpit is not done yet)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  28. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Just Uploaded Third Person Game made with uMech. Check it out. Download link at top

Note: the sample game does have issues such as hopping - I will fix it on the next update.

29. RoTru

RoTru

Unfortunately my mac can't unzip these... would need the exe (seriously worried about file size at 30mb??) looks vewy vewy interesting though. Very curious about movement.

30. RoTru

RoTru

nevermind downloaded an unzipper, then realized the exe is formatted for PC... why not just use the web player in drop box like all the other asset store producers? o_O

31. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

It's a little complicated but to keep it short, I mainly worked on this on Unity5 beta which makes Webplayers compiled with mine not compatible with others. I will definitely port it back to Unity4 before submitting to the Asset Store, but until then, I would like to work on Unity5 as I will ship a zipped version of it in the the package as well.

I also have the WebGL option but that disables MSAA (unless I am mistaken) which brings back to the issue of show casing high quality assets. Let me know if anyone knows how to have WebGL with MSAA.

32. eridani

eridani

Looks really cool. Can you also add an option for regular FPS controls? (left/right controls strafing inside of turning, up/down controls moving forward/backward relative to current camera facing)

33. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Definitely, the script will let you choose between TPS/FPS with a simple boolean. I will have FPS version available as soon as the cockpit is ready for showcasing.

34. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I will be keeping my eyes on this :)

EDIT: Just curious will the Asset allow individual components or areas of the mech to be damaged or even Destroyed?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  35. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Yes, uMech was designed with that in mind, and that means each component will have some sort of active physics component to some degree (eg missile hit on arm will trigger some physics/script driven action - not mecanim or pre animated piece) also, I will provide damaged models of parts that can be destroyed (arm, guns, legs etc) and uMech will handle this with scripts...

I am also planning to include denting but that is on my future wishlist and not on the initial release. I will keep posting to keep you in the loop.

36. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

I've just uploaded an OSX build. let me know how it goes.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  37. eridani

eridani

I don't mean TPS vs FPS... control-wise, right now left/right turns the mech, I'd rather have left/right strafe, even in TPS view, and up/down move forward relative to the camera, not relative to the legs. Hope that makes sense!

38. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Definitely, the standard WASD control option is definitely included as a given. Sorry about the confusion :)

eridani likes this.
  39. RoTru

RoTru

Wow! Thanks, the move forward is a little wonky but it's nice to have a controller that allows for torso movement, sweet! Digging it so far!

RedBiltong likes this.
  40. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

I've ironed out most of that wonky stuff now, and that means no more bunny hopping. I am working on custom inspectors like the ones found in uFPS, I figured people liked that.

Although at this stage I am not too sure if it is worth it as it has taken me more than a day...on the plus side, it is really clean looking and very easy to play around with :)

Let me know what you think, here is a quick snippet.

hopeful, RoTru and eridani like this.
  41. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Foot placement and body control almost done, now the mech falls off the edge and can climb stairs :)

hopeful likes this.
  42. RoTru

RoTru

Nice, any idea if the controller will be able to handle terrain?

43. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Looks like it can handle Unity Terrain just fine, except that now I realize that I will have to add more script to account for uneven foot placement. I am working on adding the ankle adjustment now...

btw, the green and white cubes are part of the aiming system, which basically allows the player to add free aiming - move the arms only instead of the turret or the whole body.

Striker is now crouched on a hilltop, looking backward (turret) and the arms aiming at the green box with the free aiming system :) Hope you like it.

RoTru likes this.
  44. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

45. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

foot placement 90% done.

RoTru and HeadClot88 like this.
  46. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I like what I see so far :D

Keep up the awesome work - Cannot wait to buy this :)

Also how much will this cost?

47. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

I have a fixed priced in mind but haven't really decided yet. I will probably finalize it before submission :)

Feel free to let me know what you think though. This is my first time at Asset Store so I am pretty clueless about sales figures :)

48. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Foot Placement 99% done - moving onto step length calibrations...

49. RedBiltong

RedBiltong

Just uploaded a new version preview (v0.5) with terrain and foot placement, there are still some issues with walking, mostly calibration correction and limit handling but in its casual sense, it is quite capable of what uMech will do. Enjoy.

50. hopeful

hopeful

I haven't sold assets, so someone who has done that could possibly advise you better. But I've been heavily browsing the store for over a year now, and what I've observed is that having a product out at a fairly low introductory price (like in the $5-10 range, or more if it's an expensive item) helps get the product out to the first few customers who then need to be urged to write reviews for the store. (Some sellers even introduce their products for free for a few days, but I think it is better if at least a little money is spent on the item, so that the first customers feel like they have some skin in the game and are more likely to write reviews.) Then the price can go up to wherever seems reasonable (or even slightly excessive). Periodically afterward (like once or twice a year) there can be a 50% off sale that lasts a few days. And, as you probably know, getting featured in the Unity 24-hour sale gives huge exposure and leads to more purchases and hopefully more rave reviews. So submit the product to Unity for the sale once you feel certain all major bugs are worked out. Keep in mind it typically takes several months after submission for a product to get featured in the 24-hour sale ... if it ever gets picked up.

In addition, I believe each product entry in the asset store should preferably have the following features:
    • several pictures (in good, clear lighting) illustrating the product in a variety of ways
    • a video demonstration (to show off the PBR, level of detail, and animations)
    • a webdemo (esp. to show off animations and maybe important functional details like IK on terrain)
    • a link to a Unity forum page where the product is profiled and prospective buyers can ask questions (like, "has this been optimized for mobile?") and also offer feedback and suggestions
    I know the above list probably seems pretty obvious, but a large number of products in the store omit one or more of them, and then sit there for years with no reviews and presumably very few purchases.

I think this mech model is looking pretty solid, and it could be the beginning of a good showing for you in the store.