Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. virror

virror

Nice : )

2. hopeful

hopeful

Just curious, but does the high poly mesh give better detailing with the expressions? I'm not quite sure what is going on with the expressions - I'm happy to have them, of course! - but it seems they are a little off, and I wonder if it is a result of low polys in the face creating an imprecision issue. For example, the smile often seems too large, or a little cartoonish, and adjusting the width of the mouth doesn't seem to help.

3. virror

virror

Now thats a very interesting question!
    @ecurtz

4. ecurtz

ecurtz

They'd probably look a little better because of the extra polygons, but the main issue is likely just that I made them all and I'm a coder, not an artist. I'm currently working on a nice graphical editor for the bone poses used by the expression player, so somebody else with a better eye for animation should be able to improve them using that once it's complete.

UnLogick, hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  5. S1mon

S1mon

Hi,

I downloaded Uma 2 package and i want to use my microphone for lip synchronisation. I saw this video
    . But i didn't found "CM_UmaLiveMic" script in any unitypackage.
    Someone knows in which unitypackage i can find it?

Thanks

6. virror

virror

Did you ask the SALSA team? Since the mic part does not really have anything to do with UMA itself : )

7. S1mon

S1mon

it's right, sorry for my post.

8. http://crazyminnowstudio.com/posts/uma-lipsync-using-salsa-with-randomeyes/ and here search for the "Using SALSA and our live microphone input with UMA 2 characters" section.

Teila, S1mon and hopeful like this.
  9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Great - Just tried it. The overall topology is significantly better, especially for closeups. There is only one issue that I can see - that is, the finger bones seem to be weighted a little too loosely, so when the fingers bend, instead of being articulated, they are more of a curve than the older model. If it would be helpful, I can send some pictures.
    Thanks again for doing this, and preparing the folder structure. Really helpful.

hopeful likes this.
  10. umutozkan

umutozkan

I'll take a look at it. It could help if you do send some pictures.

I want to point out (again) that I am no artist (though I am investing a lot of time learning). I am reading / watching stuff on web and try to apply it to the best of my ability. It helps if some people use it and give feedback on the parts that I broke. :)

And @SecretAnorak , it would be great if you did some tutorials on adding extra adjustment bones. Btw is it possible to get two versions of the same mesh (i.e. one is morphed some way) and make an adjustment bone weighted for the change automatically without weighting the mesh by hand (am I asking for a magic wand)?

11. hopeful

hopeful

@umutozkan - Since you're going to revisit the fingers on your model, maybe you could also do a quick look into how the expressions work on your higher poly model versus the others? I'm curious.

@SecretAnorak - If you do make a tutorial on adding adjustment bones, I wonder if you could cover the case where you add a bone with a clothing slot, like ... maybe a bone to adjust the brim of a hat, to lengthen an elf ear, or to make a mesh beard longer.

IIRC, there is also a lack of a bone to make the shoulders wider / narrower, which would be an example of a body bone to add.

Jaimi likes this.
  12. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Hehe, looks like I have a lot on my plate. I'll do as many tutorials as I can in the time I've got.

@hopeful adjustment bones will most definitely be a future subject since they are where the real magic happens.

However, I'm waiting for the store release of the new version before I do anything. The beta version has changed so much (with improvements) over the last few months that even my most recent tutorials are now out of date. I need to re-record the basic training first since UMA is much more accessible now. Hopefully this should drop from the current ~17 videos (which peter out unsatisfactorily) down to single figures since everything is so much easier. After that, I intend to record a full depth content creation series expanding on the basic stuff you have already seen.

I'm currently frantically trying to learn blender to make the content creation series as accessible as possible. However, if it makes me lose any more hair I'll be going back to MAX lol.

Bear with me,..... hopefully all of your questions will be answered soon. :)

TeagansDad, hopeful and AGregori like this.
  13. AGregori

AGregori

@SecretAnorak your essential tutorials are pretty much the reason I picked up UMA2 again.

I semi-abandoned it around 2 years ago for more polished systems, but I see the error of my ways now, UMA is a gift that keeps giving. ;)

Jyrry and hopeful like this.
  14. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

You're not wrong there @Gregorik, polish is only skin deep. UMA is about to give people a whole lot more,......

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  15. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm doing the same! If it's any help, the very first thing I did was go into user preferences, and under "input", set presets to "3ds max", set the "Select With" to left, orbit to "Turntable" View navigation to "Walk", input t "Maya", and then added a hotkey "F" to focus the selected object (under 3d view, 3d view (global)) - view3d.view_selected.

Now I don't pull my hair out when I double click blender.

16. S1mon

S1mon

Hi,

I actually searching a possibility to add some expression.

Is there a way to add some bones to change the expression? Or a way to make expression more realistic.

thanks a lot

17. virror

virror

I dont think it will allow you to add bones, but it will making expressions using the current bones a lot easier.
    We are currently polishing up stuff for the new release, not far away now!

S1mon likes this.
  18. ecurtz

ecurtz

Are you talking about actual changes to the mesh and not just the rig? This would theoretically be possible if you had kept the selection exactly the same during all of your mesh changes, since that would mean it was a valid transform of the vertex data, however it would probably still be difficult to calculate, otherwise it would require multiple bones. In general this is one of those problems you see research papers on, so Maya or MAX might possibly have some version of it, but I'm not up to date on them.

umutozkan likes this.
  19. ecurtz

ecurtz

I strongly encourage anyone interested in the expression system to pick up a copy of Jason Osipa's Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right which the included poses are based on. The 2nd edition is fine and available quite inexpensively from Amazon or elsewhere.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey umutozkan. Nice job.

What's the difference between this and Fernando's High poly slots?

The current female face is higher poly attached to the default lower poly body (better for MMOs I assumed).

I didn't do up a full high poly as Fernando has that on the store. I figured I'd let him have the sales for it. If it's not updated for the latest UMA, then a newer one should probably be done.

I'll also be working on a more realistic female when/if I can find the time. I'd love to do an entirely new base mesh, but nothing current would be compatible with it.

hopeful likes this.
  21. virror

virror

I think Fernandos high poly slots are actual bodyscans that he bought?

22. virror

virror

Quick sneekpeek o whats to come very soon now . )

-DynamicCharacterAvatar - advanced avatar and clothing system
    --Loading from Asset Bundles and Resources
    --Asset bundle encryption
    --Parameterized DNA for Races
    --Placed UMA representation in Edit mode
    -Upgraded base avatars
    -Unity 5.5 compatibility
    -Improved custom inspectors for objects in Unity Editor
    -Expression editor
    -High poly slots compatible with low poly slots
    -Alpha Cutout system
    -Global texture scaler
    -Animator dont get rebuilt on UMA update
    -New scenes - New avatars, Networking, LOD
    -General speed up
    -Lots of general fixes

23. hopeful

hopeful

I'm going off memory, but aren't the high poly meshes by Fernando separate from the Athena and Dionysus bodyscan textures?

24. umutozkan

umutozkan

I didn't know about those high poly slots. If there is some high poly version of current mesh, there is no point for me to work on that. I couldn't get the weights on the fingers right as Jaimi pointed out anyway.

I am trying to create an UMA from the ManuelBastiani female right now. I'll share the results if I can get it done this time.

Jyrry likes this.
  25. virror

virror

Yeah, maybe your right, might only be the textures that are body scans. Was a while ago now : )

Also, we will include high poly slots in the new release of UMA, that also are compatible with the low poly slots, so you can do low poly body + high poly head as an example.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey Guys.

The High poly slots are actually slots (not scans) and I think FBX are included as well. The scans are a separate pack.

Slots are here:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14659

I made a high poly head for the low poly body for MMO type games. It's something commonly done for character modeling and MMOs. ie. something like Back desert will put most of their polys in the face and hair. Hair would be at 12k, similar amount for face and then a 5-6k body.

27. Teila

Teila

How about using the high polys along with the low polys as LOD's? That might work well.

Will, the only problem I had with the high poly heads is that they didn't work with some of your clothing as the necks were too short for the deeper necklines leaving holes. I did try to fix them but it turned out to be a big job due to moving vertices messed up the UVs and therefore the textures. I decided to leave it to you. :)

hopeful likes this.
  28. hopeful

hopeful

The thing with using the body meshes as LODs is that unless your characters are scantily clad, they won't be showing much of the body meshes anyway.

I think desktop games should just go ahead with using the high poly mesh, and mobile should use the lower poly one. And then for mesh LOD a dynamic mesh reducer like Simple LOD will have to be used.

(BTW, there is a folder in Uma right now called Simple LOD that has nothing to do with the plugin "Simple LOD," right? It's actually the built-in atlas LOD. If I have that right, maybe the folder name can be changed before publishing to the asset store.)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  29. Teila

Teila

I meant the heads. :)

We have had luck building something like SimpleLOD into our runtime builds. That way, we have LOD's built when the full character is built, which would include clothing.

30. virror

virror

I agree, that foldername should be changed

hopeful likes this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Weird. The new mid-poly head's vertices should be the exact same position as the low poly base mesh.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just imported the female base mesh body and the edges are fine:

upload_2017-3-3_13-19-53.png

33. Teila

Teila

I took pictures and posted them earlier in your thread. I have no idea why they don't work with some of your shirts, but they don't. :)

The problem is with the lower cut of the those shirts. They work fine with the regular head, but not with the mid-poly head.

34. Teila

Teila

Screen Shot 12-29-16 at 10.16 PM.PNG

See hole at the bottom of neck.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

The Mid-poly is the same as the low poly position, so it should work. Unless your using another high poly head. I also checked the animation. Works fine.

Blend file is attached. Export FBX 6.1 ascii

Attached Files:

36. Teila

Teila

I just won't use the high poly heads. I did try modifying it myself, but I don't really want to have to fix the UV stretching and retexture. There are no other mid-poly heads in UMA, so it had to be yours. :)

37. Femidko

Femidko

Good afternoon!

My question about dynamic character avatar loading from asset bundles. I created custom race with t-pose, one slot, overlay with simple recipe and without wardrobe slots, recipe. Put all in assets and built them. Then I opened an "UMA DCS Demo - Using Asset Bundles" and set it up for my race. I started the scene and got an error: "Unable to find: PlaceholderFace". If I set my custom recipe, I get an error "UMAResourceNotFoundException: dOverlayLibrary: Unable to find: InfightMale".
    Debugging showed that the DynamicOverlayLibrary.InstantiateOverlay does not wait for the download of the overlay asset bundle and throws an exception. Although the asset is found on a remote server and is loaded normally.

I would be grateful for the tip that I did wrong or what can be done without making changes to the UMA scripts.

Sorry for my English.

38. Teila

Teila

You will get more answers on the UMA thread than on Will's thread.

39. Teila

Teila

LOL, oops! I posted here earlier thinking this was Will's thread.

Deleted User and umutozkan like this.
  40. Teila

Teila

Trying to respond again. lol

Okay, are you using the UMA from the asset store? If so, I would wait a few days for the new one to be released on Github. We also have a Slack channel if you are interested in getting help there.

41. Jaimi

Jaimi

There was a version that didn't add the assets to the library by default. From the UMA menu, select "UMA Global Library", and then verify that your items are all checked in the "assets in build"

hopeful likes this.
  42. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Teila Everything's fine in the blend file. Attached if you want to try to export the FBX (might have been the more then one material bug. I re-assigned them).

http://willbgameart.com/?p=2873

Attached Files:

43. ecurtz

ecurtz

@justb @Teila - Do those shirt models have a little piece of body attached to fill the neck gap? - if it has a separate material that won't get included when converting the mesh into a slot.

44. Femidko

Femidko

No, I use last UMA for unity version 5.3 or above from Github.

Sorry, I rarely come here and do not understand what you mean about the Slack channel

Thank you. I have not tested it. I will check it. However, I checked everything assetbundles and their dependencies after the build. And I told that the overlay is loaded as needed, but the creation of DynamicCharacterAvatar does not expect to download Asset by DynamicOverlayLibrary

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  45. virror

virror

46. Teila

Teila

No, there is no body part attached to that shirt. It works fine with the regular heads so I don't know what the problem might be.

47. umutozkan

umutozkan

Do I need an invitation to get into the slack channel? I checked the link, found no apparent way to register for that channel.

48. virror

virror

Anyone who wants an invite to slack, just send me a pm with your email and i will add you : )

49. MakeGames2

MakeGames2

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who works on this and contributes! I'm enjoying playing around figuring stuff out in 2.1. Looks like it's coming along quite awesomely =)

Jyrry, kenamis and umutozkan like this.
  50. hopeful

hopeful

Much thanks, and happy to see this coming along! :)

Whenever it becomes possible to address it, please let us know about performance / baking of blendshapes. While I think I might have occasion for using dynamic blendshapes - to live-morph a character - probably most of the time I'd like to set them and forget them. Basically, have the blendshape setting in the recipe and that's it.