Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'll definitely be writing a "getting started" doc. As for the text file - are you talking about the UMAResourcesIndex? That has to be in resources so that it gets bundled with your game when you build it. You shouldn't have to do anything with it at all.
    In theory, you should be safe to completely ignore the UMA folder now, and just create your own set of folders outside of UMA, with your projects data in it. We did this so new UMA updates can be super easy - you just wipe out the old folder and put the new one in.

TeagansDad likes this.
  2. Teila

Teila

Yep, exactly.

3. hopeful

hopeful

When you build your UMAs in the scene, you have to have a library in the hierarchy that contains all of the slots and overlays you're going to use. Maybe the correct head slot is in the library you're using in scene1, but missing from the library in scene2?

The recipe is just a list of things to look up in the library when making an UMA. So if something is referenced (like a head, sunglasses, boots, etc.) in the recipe, the generating program looks in the library for the source (mesh or texture), and if it doesn't find it there, it can't display it.

4. silentneedle

silentneedle

@UnLogick Today I've added your cloth branch to our project. I discovered the new uma cloth properties which can get linked in the uma materials. Maybe you could explain it a little bit, what is the intended workflow if I would like to add clothing support to e.g. an cloak?

5. Teila

Teila

6. hopeful

hopeful

I was getting that same error, so I downloaded a more recent version, the Folder Restructure one. Now I get a similar but different error:

Slot 'FemaleFace' and Overlay 'FemaleEyebrow01' don't have the same UMA Material
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)​

There's also errors under duplicated slots and overlays in the UMA Resources Index:

M_Eyebrow_Slot is in both Content and Resources,

and

Eye Overlay - nonReflective and Eye Overlay, the first in Content and the second in Resources (apparently it thinks these are the same due to failure to parse the "-" correctly).​

Under Recipe Fragments, FemaleBase and FemaleBase2, it says "(?)dOverlayLibrary: Unable to find: FemaleHead01".

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Ok - thanks, I'll take a look at these. Sometime fixing things for one scene ends up breaking something somewhere else. :(

What scene are you getting the error in?

8. Teila

Teila

Ugh. Obviously more issues with the slots and overlays. I would check your FemaleFace slot and your FemaleEyebrow01 and make sure they are the same materials.

And yes, I know there are duplicates. I had nothing to do with that folder restructure and am not fond of it. As I told someone else, as soon as it is released, I will go through it and share my own restructure if folks want it.

I am working on terrain now so don't have UMA up, but see if checking the materials help.

As for the duplicates, you want them to be in the Resources folder so that they index so I would delete them out of content. After you delete them, clear and redo the index. I am not sure the ones in the content folder would be a problem though since only the resources are auto applied. Remember, you no longer have to put them in the libraries.

9. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

With some of those duplicate assets things, I think you will find they will go away if you manually go into the UMAResourcesIndex component and click 'Create/Update Index'. Looks the index data file that is distributed has not been properly updated after our folder RE Restructure yesterday :). It will automatically update now, though, but us distributing an out of date file is giving the wrong starting data. Apologies

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Also make sure you guys have the version from today as we re-did the folder structure again last night

11. kenamis

kenamis

Disclaimer, the cloth branch is still a work in progress.

So first, when building your slot. Put the cloth component on your mesh and edit it's constraints to your liking. Then create the slot and the constraints will be added in the slot asset's data.

You'll need to create a Cloth Properties asset, it should be in the right click menu and you can set up your cloth settings there. If you are using unity 5 you'll need to comment out some of the parameters there are messed up on unity's side. There are 3 of them, i can't look them up atm. By commenting them out the component will just use it's default values.

Then create another UMA Material and select "separate renderer" and link your cloth properties to it.

There is no easy way to add colliders to the system yet. Also, you can not have more than one cloth slot on an uma on the same renderer yet (The fixes haven't been pushed yet).

silentneedle likes this.
  12. Jaimi

Jaimi

I've checked in fixes for the FemaleEyebrow01 overlay, and removed the FemaleBase and FemaleBase2 recipe fragments (the scene now uses the current human female base recipe).

Teila likes this.
  13. hopeful

hopeful

Cool! :)

I've downloaded the most recent version that I see, which doesn't have your commit yet for some reason. So I still have those errors.

The errors on the UMA Resources Index were indeed fixed when I clicked on the update button.

Teila likes this.
  14. Jaimi

Jaimi

Git is showing update 12 minutes ago for me - not sure what is going on.

Can you check this asset - see if it is using the "UMA_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic" material?

UMAProject/Assets/UMA/Resources/UMA/HumanFemale/Overlays/Hair/FemaleEyebrow01.asset

15. hopeful

hopeful

It's finally showing up for me. I was refreshing it over and over. Didn't help. Just had to wait for it to trickle through. ;)

It says the commit was made an hour ago, but I've picked up commits the last few days within less than ten minutes of them being posted, so I don't know what's going on.

Anyway, downloading now. If there is any problem, I'll let you know.

Teila likes this.
  16. kt5881

kt5881

Thank you. the problem is solved! just that my co worker had added the hair slot on to my male wardrobe recipe!! the Hide Slot function was the cause of the problem

hopeful and Teila like this.
  17. hopeful

hopeful

@Jaimi - Everything seems to be working fairly well so far! I've not delved into everything yet, just running the main scenes.

There is an error that can pop up on the networking scene. (UMAResourceNotFoundException: OverlayLibrary: Unable to find: FemaleUnderwear02.)

One thing ... is there a setting to fix wobbly shadows on the characters?

EDIT: Okay, I'm figuring it out. There's two conventional solutions: 1) reduce camera far clipping plane by quite a bit, and 2) reduce shadow distance under Quality to something around 100.

EDIT2: Probably a better solution is the Screen Space Shadows asset. Haven't tried it, but it sounds like the right tool for the job.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  18. kt5881

kt5881

Hello guys I am back again!

I've used the Grounder FBBIK for my UMA character to have her feet fully attached to the ground. However as my co-workers were collaborating on our project guess some recipes and meshes changed and now the frontal portion of the character's feet is angled slightly above the ground. The animation that the avatar plays is completely normal and I am having a hard time figuring out the cause and the solution. refer to the pictures bellow for a more thorough understanding.

P.S would adjusting the slots and overlays be a solution via blender be a solution? If so I plan to try it out using free blender with secret anorak's tutorial in youtube.

Attached Files:

19. silentneedle

silentneedle

Thanks Kenamis, that it's possible to drop Prefabs into the slot builder is new to me, was that always possible? If not the "Drag meshes here" text should definitely get an update. :p

20. UnLogick

UnLogick

@Teila and others. Relax, I'm right here... just moved to a new apartment and was too busy painting. :)

@silentneedle there was a bug in the cloth branch that @kenamis has been investigating, he wrote a quick fix for it and hopefully I'll have time this weekend to take a look at his work and either merge it straight or do a more thorough refactor based on his work.

Deleted User, hopeful and Teila like this.
  21. Teila

Teila

Just trying to get your attention. ;)

Deleted User likes this.
  22. Jaimi

Jaimi

In pre-5.5, the best solution was to push the near plane out as far as you can (even tiny changes have a lot more affect than big changes in the far plane). However they changed the way shadows work in 5.5, so I have no clue anymore.

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

Not likely anything in the slots, those haven't changed. My guess would be the avatar definition, or the animations.

24. kt5881

kt5881

Hello guys. In my project there is a main menu scene where the user can customize the character. Besides the menu scene there are several stage scenes where the user can roam around. Is there a way to save the customized data (DNA DATA) from the main scene and apply it to other scenes? I am using Playmaker for scripting and I am just stuck on this issue.

25. kt5881

kt5881

For Clothing I just made couple wardrobe recipes and applied to my character and clothing is not part of the customization , However if i get some help getting the customized DNA data from scene to scene i believe customizing clothing would be a piece of cake. Please I beg for your support!

26. virror

virror

Yes, there is a built in save system for saving UMAs as either strings or assets. Check out the UMA save menu for example on how to do it. Its just requires like 4 lines of code or something.

27. ecurtz

ecurtz

That's really more of a Playmaker issue, which I haven't used, but it sounds like you can make global objects in Playmaker that persist between scenes. http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=2051.0

28. hopeful

hopeful

Periodically I've chased this shadow issue around, trying multiple cameras and this and that. I tried changing the near plane first thing, but I couldn't see any change at all, and I don't know why. Maybe I overlooked some other setting that would have a bearing on it. (?)

I want to go with one camera, and I think I can get what I want - nicely detailed closeup shadows, while still keeping massive distant shadows - if I use a screen space shadows plugin. There's the one from sonicether, and there is another shadow tech plugin that is the early phases that currently doesn't work for direct lighting, but will eventually, and they also plan to make a souped up screen space shadows plugin. So I'm going to wait a bit on that, see what happens, and try to get other stuff working in my project.

Many of us face similar issues in development, so I'm sure eventually someone here will have experience with this type of solution (screen space shadows for character details) and be able to share how well it works.

29. malkere

malkere

have you ever tried using two camera, one with a very short range, another that excludes the short range but reaches out further? I haven't tried it for shadows, but it is a recommended practice in the Unity Learn section to help deal with near plane issues... uhh... what's it called... depth fighting or something like that =o

30. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, but the shadows would break on that boundary line between the cameras. It looked awful from that perspective.

31. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

Request for expert user of UMA: Is possible to post on youtube a tutorial for using UMA + MECANIM with willb gameart ? ( i suggest willb because he sale lot of uma parts).

This would be very appreciated.

+++

32. Teila

Teila

I have some on our Watre Games Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRTtfayUndnnxU8TtUNhDUg

I do not show how to set up mecanim though but it is the same as with any characters you might use. I have a lot of Willb's stuff on the videos. I also show how to set up recipes for Will's stuff.

TeagansDad likes this.
  33. virror

virror

As Teila says, there is no specific setup needed for mecanim, it "just works" as long as you have a proper animation controller attached.

34. malkere

malkere

So... Do overlays work with the current build? I just downloaded it and still can't get Underwear01 to show up... or maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm in 5.5 using the current git 53 build (update 7 days ago). I can see the underwear on, but then again using the script as is (I typed as I watched) from SecretAnorok's videos I'm now noticing that the underwear is ending up on the body...?

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void CreateMale () {
    2.         //grab a reference to uma recipe
    3.         var umaRecipe = umaDynamicAvatar.umaData.umaRecipe;
    4.         umaRecipe.SetRace(raceLibrary.GetRace("HumanMale"));
    6.         SetSlot(0, "MaleEyes");
    7.         AddOverlay(0, "EyeOverlay", Color.white);
    9.         SetSlot(1, "MaleInnerMouth");
    10.         AddOverlay(1, "InnerMouth", Color.white);
    12.         SetSlot(2, "MaleFace");
    13.         AddOverlay(2, "MaleHead02", Color.white);
    15.         SetSlot(3, "MaleTorso");
    16.         AddOverlay(3, "MaleBody02", Color.white);
    18.         SetSlot(4, "MaleHands");
    19.         LinkOverlay(4, 3); //body skin shared across body parts
    21.         SetSlot(5, "MaleLegs");
    22.         LinkOverlay(5, 3);
    24.         SetSlot(6, "MaleFeet");
    25.         LinkOverlay(6, 3);
    27.         AddOverlay(5, "MaleUnderwear01", Color.white);
    28.         AddOverlay(2, "MaleEyebrow01", Color.black);
    29.     }
    This ends up sharing the underwear across the torso, hand, legs, and feet. I can see a white patch that shows up just below the neck of the torso, but no change to the legs. I'll go through that part of the videos again... maybe I'm missing something... I change the link to specifically AddOverlay(5, "MaleBody02", Color.white); after which the MaleUnderwear01 gets added on top of that, and I can then see it properly on the legs slot of the UMA, but it still doesn't render at all.

1. Is the current build still unable to render the underwear slot in 5.5?
    2. Is linking the overlays like that correct? Seems incorrect the way it was showing the underwear on the torso slot, then listing it on all the linked slots (hand/legs/feet)?
    Thanks

35. Rinzlo

Rinzlo

so no new updates to UMA 2 on the asset store. just curious as to when an error free version for 5.5 will be up?

36. treshold

treshold

what if you compress your textures on overlay -slot? I had similar problem with underwear, and I don't understand why underwear shows up correctly when textures are compressed but when full res, it shows up incorrectly just a little patch below neck of the torso

37. malkere

malkere

@treshold what compression are you using? It doesn't seem to make any difference for me =[ Thanks for the suggestion though

38. UnLogick

UnLogick

We're working on uma 2.1, you can grab it from github at
    https://github.com/huika/uma/tree/unity53

TeagansDad likes this.
  39. virror

virror

We discovered something that needs a bit of a rewrite, so the team is working hard on that atm, as soon as thats done hopefully we are good to go.

hopeful and TeagansDad like this.
  40. Rinzlo

Rinzlo

41. treshold

treshold

23789o9
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough - I meant what if you reduce your texture quality by 1 for example from Overlay library- here is screenshot from inspector view.

Attached Files:

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

The base texture sizes increased in this version. (from 1024x1024, they are now 2048x2048). So the old underwear is still the old resolution. To make them work, you need to edit the overlay to increase the virtual size (probably just need to double the x,y,w,h).

There should be a correctly sized overlay in there somewhere - we've cleaned up duplicates in the "FolderRestructure" branch, but it's not ready for primetime.

hopeful likes this.
  44. malkere

malkere

@treshold I wasn't sure what the buttons do I clicked "Resolution +" first and it reduced the resolution twice, which did show the underwear, but produced a black artifact on the neck. I then went back down 2 to 0 reductions but couldn't get that to work =o

I was just assuming everything was broken because I couldn't get that to work though, I'm finding other stuff does work so I'll work with I've got till 2.1. Thank @Jaimi

I was actually planning on buying WillB's starter pack... that's what I've been holding off on. Is that working on the 53 branch? I'll try anyway XD

edit: I reimported 53 over the starter pack install and the errors are gone, testing now..

edit: working fine =D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    treshold likes this.
  45. UnLogick

UnLogick

That fork was merged right? Can't you close it?

46. Rakinare

Rakinare

I am currently thinking about if I wanna use UMA or not. The system itself seem to be really interesting but I completely dislike the models.

Are the models customizable? And how would I go if I wanna add custom armor to the models?

47. Teila

Teila

You can easily add your own models now. To add clothing, to your own models,you have to cut up the bodies (watch Secret Anorak's race videos) and make clothing for your model. Same is true of the current models although there are some custom clothing available for them on the asset store.

Secret Anorak also has videos on making custom content.

Rakinare likes this.
  48. Rakinare

Rakinare

Nice, thanks alot for the quick answer! That's just what I needed :) Not sure how I didn't find that myself :eek:

Teila likes this.
  49. Teila

Teila

Another thing to remember, textures can really have a huge impact on the models. If you watch my Twitch video at Watre Games Youtube channel, you will see how great the default models look with better textures. I used Will's textures which now come with UMA as well as some of his other textures. During the Twitch someone commented that they looked so much better than the old UMA's. :) Might want to take a look since these will use Will's fabulous clothing. I have some other videos up too, short ones with just Will's outfits on the models. I also use an SSS shader on the skin which I think really helps. There is also a video of a city using UMA with ICE and I was able to get 70+ UMAs in the scene.

TeagansDad, UnLogick, malkere and 2 others like this.
  50. Rakinare

Rakinare

Nice, thanks for the info! They look quite good indeed! We are most likely going into a cartoon direction with our game tho, so we kinda have to do our own stuff :p But UMA itself really helps processing all that stuff!

Teila likes this.