Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Vikings2015 likes this.
  2. KospY

KospY

Well, first I need to set the head part of an UMA character in a different layer. My game have body awarness and I'm using a mirror, so I need the head to be shown only on the mirror camera.
    Also, I want to apply a physic cloth effect on a "cape" slot, no sure if it can be done with UMA.

3. UnLogick

UnLogick

You'll be happy to learn that Secret Anorak lured me into adding Cloth support for UMA. Of course you can't have cloth without also saying multiple renderers so naturally I had to add that too. You can find it in the Cloth branch on the github repo. It's of course based on the Unity53 branch.

Basically you can now set a checkbox on the UMAMaterial saying it needs a seperate renderer. It will still respect the atlas/no atlas setting. That should take care of your mirror thing.

On top of that the Slot Creator will now look for a Cloth component and grab the per vertex cloth settings and add them to the generated slots. Combine that with creating an UMA Cloth Properties asset for the Cloth fields and link that from your UMAMaterial. It makes sense to tie the cloth to the UMAMaterial as it's linked to one renderer and one Cloth setting. You still need to set up the Cloth colliders, I can't do everything for you. ;)

Enjoy.

4. virror

virror

Early preview:

5. KospY

KospY

Fantastic :)
    However I get some compilation errors on UMAClothProperties, I'm using unity 5.5 and the cloth component have changed, some float and bool get mixed... seem to be a unity bug. I commented the lines for now...
    Also I didn't find a way to separate renderer. I don't have any checkbox on UMAMaterial? I tried to apply an UMAClothProperties but it didn't seem to do anything, I must miss something...

At last, it seem complicated just for separating renderer (need to change multiple uma materials for mouth, eye, hair...). An option to create a renderer (with is own gameobject) for each recipe loaded will be nice :) (so I can create a recipe for body, and one for head).

6. UnLogick

UnLogick

I believe Secret Anorak mentioned this as well, I'm using 5.4.2 so we'll have to consider how to make this properly work both on 5.3 and 5.5 with the same assets.

Your idea with multiple recipes goes against the inner workings of UMA. While we use multiple recipes in several places we always combine them before we build, so it's merely a convenience for those who wish that workflow. Also it would require you to write special cases for clothes (cloth) and armor (non-cloth) and generally end up more complicated. The selected approach is actually much less code and very nicely data driven. I hope that once we have a good tutorial it will be more transparent.

upload_2016-12-4_13-24-0.png

As you can see all I added is the Cloth Properties and the Require Seperate Renderer fields on the UMAMaterial. Yes this means that you need to create an extra UMAMaterial for cloth and if you want to use cloth for hair you'll need an extra one for that too... But this also means that if you have a full set of clothing they can combine textures into an atlas and become one drawcall (assuming they have identical UMAMaterials and such Cloth Properties). This is the same limitations as the Cloth component itself as well as the rest of UMA so I consider this a perfect fit.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    TeagansDad likes this.
  7. KospY

KospY

Sorry, I didn't get the last commit from github, I now have the checkbox to separate renderer :)
    I understand that it's technically more simple to use UMAMaterial to seperate renderer, but from my point of view I didn't see the benefit of it. However, I do not know UMA pretty well so I maybe not using it correctly.

So my main goal is to put the head of the player in another layer (cloth is not a priority for me), I made a copy of the UMAMaterial and modified all head slots (Head, Ears, Eyes, Headeye, innermouth, mouth and nose) and all overlays to this new UMAMaterial. I'm using the asset "UMA MB1 FB1 Rogue Refit", and slots all share the same UMAMaterial "UMA_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic".
    When I hit play it doesn't work and I get errors message: "Bone influences do not match bones."
    I restarted the process and did it step by step. First, I separated the eye slot and it worked, after that I added the innermouth (linked to the same umamaterial) and again the same error message. I tried some other things and it seem that It only work if I set a different UMAmaterial for EACH slot. Can you tell me if it's normal?

PS : My editor freeze when I click on a recipe that is using a slot /overlay that is not in the UMA library. Not sure but it seem like an infinite loop in a script. My only way is to kill Unity process and restart.

8. UnLogick

UnLogick

It should be possible to create an UMAMaterial for the head and change all the head related slots and overlays to use this.

If this isn't working then that's a bug and I would appreciate a clean repro project.

9. docwes

docwes

Can someone anyone post what the UMAData class looks like. I can't find it anywhere and its referenced all over uma integration code i'm using. I just need to see what this class looks like and i havent found an api or anything discussing this. Thanks for all the help in advance its very very needed.

10. virror

virror

Assets\Standard Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\UMAData.cs

docwes likes this.
  11. docwes

docwes

Hi Virror. Thanks for the response. I will reimport and look there again.

12. KospY

KospY

Ok I created a new unity project, and I can confirm is not working.
    I can send the project to you but my internet speed is really slow so that will be difficult for me.
    Anyway its really simple to reproduce:
    1. Create a new unity project
    2. Import the UMA cloth branch
    3. Open scene "Scene01 - Crowd - PBR 1"
    4. Disable "UMACrowd" component
    5. Create a new gameobject and attach an uma dynamic avatar component
    6. Set the component and use the recipe "malebase"
    7. Copy and rename the UMAMaterial "UMA_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic", check separate renderer
    8. Set "InnerMouth" overlay and "UMA_Human_Male_InnerMouth_Slot" slot to this new UMAMaterial
    9. Test... It work and it create two renderers!
    10. Now set "EyeOverlay"/"EyeOverlayAdjust" overlay and "UMA_Human_Male_Eyes_Slot" to the same new UMAMaterial
    11. Test... It doesn't work :( (errors msg:"Bone influences do not match bones.")
    12. If you repeat step 7 for eye (clone again another UMAMaterial), it work however. So it seem to work only with one UMAMaterial per slot.
    I'm using Unity 5.5.0f3.
    Hope it help!

13. Krazeecain

Krazeecain

So... the wiki has been down for several days now. Is that coming back any time soon, or is there another source of information for this package? (aside from the videos)

EDIT: Nevermind, all I had to do was read the last page before this, derp. This is a pretty S***ty situation, if Unity's blessing has dried up, is there any point investing time into this? I was planning on making and releasing content designed for UMA 2 on the asset store (content that I'll have to make for my game anyways) but now I'm worried that this project will die a week after I release something lol.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  14. virror

virror

Unity only invested in UMA for the first version which was ages ago, after that is has always been a community driven effort and is very much in active development and has a lot of users making everything from simple games to MMOs. If you are thinking about working with UMA you are free to join our slack channel : )

hopeful and TeagansDad like this.
  15. Krazeecain

Krazeecain

I see, the affiliation is a little confusing to me. I have no idea what a slack channel is but I'll gladly join up. :p I just need to figure out how to make content for UMA somehow...

I have one important question before I can fully invest myself in this, is it possible to replace the whole body mesh and texture UMA uses? I haven't seen any examples of this being done yet. I'd like to replace it with an anime-style mesh/texture, and make a whole line of clothing/armor/accessories designed to work in tandem with that body.

16. virror

virror

Of course you can : )
    Be aware though, that replacing the body makes it incompatible with all existing clothing, but thats kind of expected : )
    You can join us here: uma-community.slack.com

17. justtime

justtime

Hi! When i can register to join slack channel?

18. virror

virror

Send me a pm with your email and i will send you an invite.

19. xardasgothic

xardasgothic

Hi,
    I have a problem with skeleton animations in UMA 2.

I'm trying to add to default "Human_Male" race character which contains regular skeleton animations on existing bones (e.g. right hand movement) and new bones. In this case it's bow object with some animations.

I have a slot created based on model which was made in blender. This model contains complete rig for male character from "Content Pack" and three new bones called "Bow_01", "Bow_02" and "Bow_03".

Import settings:
    - AnimationType: Humanoid
    - AvatarDefinition: Create From This Model (configuration done manually with exacly the same transforms as for standard "Male_Unified" model)

- Animation import mask settings
    SceletonProblem_AnimationsImport.PNG

I have added that slot to the character's recipe. Slot seems to work correctly, mesh contains "Bow" model and additional bones are added to hierarchy in proper places, but Animator can't recognize that bones and shows missing transforms.

SceletonProblem.PNG

Interesting thing about it's when i'm trying to use that animation with Bow Avatar on "Male_Unified" model with manually added those bow transforms to it's hierarchy without using UMA all animations are working correctly.

I have tried probably all different model import settings and ended up with nothing.
    I would be very happy if you could tell me what am I doing wrong ;).

20. KospY

KospY

I tried to look at the documentation but I didn't find anything related to ragdoll.
    What is the best practice to implement ragdoll on UMA characters? Normally I use the unity ragdoll wizard and adjust the collider manually but with UMA the character is created during runtime so I can't do that.
    Do I need to add all rigidbodies and colliders from code?

21. MrG

MrG

That, right there, is what I was expecting from the start.
    • Base male/female models with multiple LOD's
    • Mecanim Humanoid rigged with a default idle
    • Compatible with IK systems like FinalIK
    • Design-time sliders and color selectors
    • Design-time race / ethnic preset selector that can be extended from shared "recipes"
    • Design-time and run-time load / merge / export of "recipes" in a DB friendly format like XML
    • Run-time sliders and color selectors that can be disabled or range limited
    • Body part slots of arrays of clothes referenced from Resources
    • Color selectors so a clothing item can have color(s) changed at design- and run-time
    • Run-time ability to pull in clothes from web or stream from game server
    • Run-time Rag doll generation with dismemberment
    • Community library of "recipes"
    • Store for artists to sell royalty-free non-exclusive clothes and offer custom services.
    For client-server multiplayer, I'd envision shipping the base model only with the client, and streaming / downloading recipes and clothes assets as needed when encountered in-game. For character creation, give player a UI with genre suitable presets and a few sliders for limited customization of the preset, and wardrobe selections. Whenever they encounter another actor in-game the client would instantiate the base model and call the server for the recipe and clothes assets on demand, caching them for future encounters, and unloading them whenever practical.

Addendum: To douse the flame-throwers, I'd gladly pay for such a solution, I expect nothing for free, and I'd buy plenty of clothes too. That's what I thought UMA was supposed to be, it's what I thought Unity envisioned when they sponsored it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  22. virror

virror

There are a lot of improvements on its way, Ragdoll support, Cloth support and streaming content using asset bundles are some of the new stuff.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    hopeful and TeagansDad like this.
  23. umutozkan

umutozkan

UMA is compatible with IK systems, the only problem is, UMA not being available in scene at design time. AnyIK has a way of setting up UMA without the need of the model be available. Take a look at the video.

Disclaimer: AnyIK is my asset :)

24. hopeful

hopeful

Also on IK issues ... while I haven't used it, FinalIK has setup script for using UMA.

treshold likes this.
  25. silentneedle

silentneedle

@UnLogick Many thanks for adding clothing support, this was really a big deal breaker. Now the last missing part would be keeping blend shapes when generating slots.

p.s. Is there any way to donate you?

26. Jaimi

Jaimi

Wow, lost this thread in my notices somehow.

Most of what you ask for is available in the new version on GIT. There is an LOD sample (though it doesn't swap the model, you would have to do that with the high poly model yourself). There is a default idle. It's compatible with FinalIK (the package is on the new wiki). There are design time sliders, and color selectors (on the avatar). Using DCS (built into the new Unity) it has a design time race preset selector, that can be extended. DCS also has design time load and export of recipes, though merging is only at runtime currently, and it's in a friendly format (.json). We have helpers (and sample code) for runtime sliders, color selections, etc. Wardrobe pieces that are composed of recipes (multiple slots and overlays as you wish, with overridable colors) -- including body parts if you wish, and all loadable from Resources AND asset bundles. Shared colors that can be set at design or runtime. Ability to pull clothes from asset bundles downloaded from the web or on your drive.

Basically, everything you want, except for the community library of recipes are in the new UMA when you use DCS.

("DCS" is the new Dynamic Character System built into the new UMA - it lets you define character races and clothing, and provides all the extra functions you would need for an RPG or MMO, including the ability to add to the system dynamically through downloading asset bundles -- all in just a few lines of code for you. It includes several scenes to help understand the new system as well. With this code, you can even repurpose avatars on the fly, switching their races and clothing, etc.)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    umutozkan and TeagansDad like this.
  27. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi Jaimi will the UMA asset on the store be updated? Or do we have to use the git? Main post in this thread does have a link to wiki which is not working for me (giving 503) and no link to git repository btw, it would be nice to have that in the official thread.

28. silentneedle

silentneedle

@Jaimi

You mean UMA aren't you? I haven't read anything about DCS as a native Unity module.

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes, corrected.

30. MrG

MrG

I googled for an hour trying to find out about DCS.

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

It will be there at some point. We're trying to finalize the new release. It has a lot of new features and content, so it's taking longer than we all thought. The earlier wiki was hosted by Unity, and kept going down, so it's been moved to a new site. Maybe we need to start a new thread for the next version with new links, etc.

hopeful, TeagansDad and umutozkan like this.
  32. hopeful

hopeful

A new thread would be great. :)

33. John-Silver-Long

John-Silver-Long

I wonder if this also remove parts of the mesh or just makes it invisable, at moment i use a bounds sytem with layers to test 1 vertex of each face against the bounds with certain layers and rebuilt triangles based on that.

34. markashburner

markashburner

When I try save my UMA at runtime I get this error compiling. I am also using it in conjunction with Crazy Minnow Studios Salsa to get realistic eye and mouth movements.

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Type,UMA.UMADnaBase].Add (System.Type key, UMA.UMADnaBase value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404)
    UMA.UMAData+UMARecipe.AddDna (UMA.UMADnaBase dna) (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:328)
    CrazyMinnow.SALSA.UMA.CM_UmaBasic.Save () (at Assets/Media/Crazy Minnow Studio/Third Party Support/UMA 2/CM_UmaBasic.cs:1287)
    CrazyMinnow.SALSA.UMA.CM_UmaBasic.Update () (at Assets/Media/Crazy Minnow Studio/Third Party Support/UMA 2/CM_UmaBasic.cs:508)

The code I have written is from watching the SecretAnorak tutorials found here.

This is the code I have

void Save()
    {
    umaDynamicAvatar.umaData.umaRecipe.AddDna(umaDna);

//Generate UMA String
    UMATextRecipe recipe = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<UMATextRecipe>();
    recipe.Save(umaDynamicAvatar.umaData.umaRecipe, umaDynamicAvatar.context);
    SaveString = recipe.recipeString;
    Destroy(recipe);

//Save string to text file
    string fileName = "Assets/PlayerCharacter.txt";
    StreamWriter stream = File.CreateText(fileName);
    stream.WriteLine(SaveString);
    stream.Close();
    }

void Load()
    {
    //Load string from text file
    string fileName = "Assets/PlayerCharacter.txt";
    StreamReader stream = File.OpenText(fileName);
    SaveString = stream.ReadLine();
    stream.Close();

//Regenerate UMA using string
    UMATextRecipe recipe = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<UMATextRecipe>();
    recipe.recipeString = SaveString;
    umaDynamicAvatar.Load(recipe);
    Destroy(recipe);
    }

But it keeps coming up with this error when I try to save myUMA as a txt file.

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.

I am using Unity 5.4.3f1

Can someone please help?

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

Does this happen when you save the UMA from the menu item?

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

When can we expect the release of 2.1 or the new UMA with all those sweet features? ^^
    And how does this compare to Morph 3D? Can I use UMA and make my own clothes instead of buying packs? Buying packs/clothes is useless for releasing a game because everyone could buy the same and you are limited on their selection.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not sure when the official release will be (couple of things still need to be finished). But you can get it as is from the repository on git. You can make your own clothes for it as well. Secretanorak has some videos that show it in detail. Lot of upgrades coming, including upgraded avatars, etc.
    Compared to morph3d? Not really sure. Easier to use I think (especially if you use the new avatar system), performance is likely better as well, as it combines textures and meshes on the fly. I'm sure there are some tradeoffs, so try both out, they've been working hard too. :)

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

I read some YouTube comments where someone associated with UMA (I guess) wrote it will come maybe before christmas / before the end of this year. What will UMA 2.1 or whatever it will be called exactly include? Everything new and ease of use (without needing to code or atleast newbie friendly)? I need to start a new project with new characters and thats why I am asking that.

(I dont know how to use repositories or git etc)

39. UnLogick

UnLogick

It only makes it invisible, however my power tools 2.1 beta have the functionality to make the mask into a triangle mask and discard the triangles.

40. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can someone please explain the high poly slots to me?
    Are the high poly slots something different then a high poly model?
    Do Uma 2.1 still support high poly slots?

I thought i can add my own model in Blender and make a Uma out of it.
    So if i use a low poly model i can use more characters at the same time and if i use a high poly model i should use less models at the same time at the screen but can use them for example at the moment when the player want to customize the character so he can see a better object.

Now with high poly slots i am irritated or does it mean the same?

Oh and another question.
    Can i use different shader on the same Uma 2.1 object?
    I mean a pbr skin shader (maybe becouse of a little translucent), a starndard pbr shader for cloth and a special shader for the eyes? Is there a tutorial on how to make/use that?

41. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'll try to remember all the new features, if I forget some, someone feel free to correct me.

• Upgraded avatars (thanks to Will B!)
    • Unity 5.5 compatibility
    • Cloth system
    • Loading from Asset Bundles and Resources
    • DynamicCharacterAvatar - full avatar & clothing system with race specific wardrobe slots and base race definitions (including DNA and Overlays)
    • Simple LOD system
    • Alpha Cutout system
    • Global texture scaler
    • Parameterized DNA for Races
    • On they fly update of avatar, no longer disturbs skeleton/animation
    • New scenes - New avatars, Networking, LOD
    • General speed up.
    • Lots of general fixes.
    So in general, it's more solid, more performant, easier to use, and nicer looking.

:)

tequyla, Deleted User and hopeful like this.
  42. virror

virror

@RandAlThor Yes, you can use whatever base model you like, high or low poly does not matter.
    But be aware that if you use any other base than the one shipping with UMA, most content on the store will most likely not work very well.
    And yes, you can sue as many shaders as you want, just assign the ones you want for each slot.

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

The high poly slots are still supported, and it means the base mesh (male and female human) can use these, and look smoother. It's the same as saying "high poly model", but the model is constructed for you from the slots at runtime.

You can create a separate race that uses the high poly slots, and use that at design time, or during cutscenes. So yes, you can still do this.

Yes you can. The material is set on the slot and overlay. When you have different materials, a different submesh is created for that material.

Will has release a skin shader pack of body overlays you can purchase, or you can set them up yourself. The eyes already use a different material, if I'm remembering correctly.

So yes, you can do exactly what you want. All you have to do is setup the separate materials. You assign materials to UMA slots and overlays by creating a "UMAMaterial", assigning your material to that, and then assigning the new UMAMaterial to the slots and overlays you want to use it.

Deleted User likes this.
  44. hopeful

hopeful

The new UMA looks like a super, super update! :D

I would like to hear more about the alpha cutout / transparency system, esp. about mask making. If it's not automated in some way, I'm sure there's going to be a request for a video tutorial on how to make them.

Also, I see that in Unity 5.6 they are adding a 3rd spine bone (upper chest) to mecanim, which is great. Will this impact UMA in any way?

45. virror

virror

I doubt that it will have any direct effect, im sure it can be omitted without any issues. I doubt UMA will get updated to support that extra bone though, since that will make it 5.6+ only. Maybe in the future : )

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Holy smokes... thats a huge update :)
    Nice nice nice! I think you should call it 3.0 instead of 2.1 ^^

47. hopeful

hopeful

Someone might start thinking in advance of adding this bone, and maybe adding new sizing bones, if any are needed. I don't know what the exact timeline will be, but it won't be all that long before 5.6 is here. ;)

I also agree about moving UMA to 3.0 version.

48. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you @virror and @Jaimi

I understand most of what you wrote but the high poly slots.

Does it matter if i use a low poly slot or high poly slot?
    Can i use a low poly slot with a high poly character i made in Blender (just for conversion, i make my character in zbrush, 3dcoat and another 3D prg.) and will the result be the same as if i use use a low poly char. with a high poly slot?

I would read more about the slots by myself but can not find the sites where i can find the help or documentation.

Maybe the question is wrong :)
    What would be the right way to use my char. if i want the option to use a high poly version for customization and also in game for the player character but more mid range (to maybe low poly in an lod version) poly char. for npc´s ?

Should i buy the high poly slots from Fernando?

49. virror

virror

A slot is made using a specific base mesh as a "base" to make sure it will have a good fit. So using a slot with a mesh that it was not made for might make it look bad, like things poking through or overlays not being in the correct place. What exactly is your use case?

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

I need to know what you mean by "character". Are you creating a full character, completely replacing the base human meshes that come with UMA?