Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Arkade

Arkade

Um, hi, not been using UMA for ages but wanted to recommend it to some peeps and noticed the Wiki link seems broken (from Asset Store). See it mentioned above. (in case different) I'm getting uma.unity3d.com fail with:

What's the status on this? Raised with UT? (sorry if I didn't skim back far enough.)

Thx

p.s. (EDIT) Amused/confused to see searching still finds all the results!?! e.g. https://unity3d.com/search?gq=UMA

2. virror

virror

Yeah, its been broken for quite some time and Unity does not seem to care one bit. So we are in a process of finding/creating a replacement at the moment. Will probably take a while though.

3. alecie

alecie

Is it possibile to optimize UMA to render minimum 200 UMAs at once, or ideally 1000? I'm getting 30fps just with crowd scene and was wondering what makes it so slow.

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

This depends on a lot of things. There are several ways to get better performance. To start with, you can decrease texture sizes. You can change the number of Blend Weights in the quality settings. You can introduce LOD's into the system and bake out the unneeded bones (like with the UMA power tools). If you need even more speed, you can create your own models and textures that have less polygons and bones. Etc. But for 1000 Avatars? That's a lot. You may need to pursue even more drastic measures, regardless of what you want. What could you possibly need 1000 avatars on the screen at the same time for?

5. alecie

alecie

Realtime battles like in mount&blade

6. alecie

alecie

Good idea for UMA devs would be saving finished UMA as a prefab while getting rid of all the bones that are used for customization.

It is unlikely you will need to modify UMA when you have finished its look already.

7. UnLogick

UnLogick

I did that, it's called uma power tools and it's a third party package on the asset store. It took a lot of hours to make that, the math and optimizations was hardly trivial.

But even power tools can't give you thousands without lod meshes. I think the highest I've tested on my dev (non-gamer) machine is 700 uma chars, and then I was taking a serious framerate hit. Both on the gpu but also on the skinning/animation side. This was with lod but still at so high ql that it looked damn near perfect.

8. Lapius

Lapius

what wiki? Its down...
    upload_2016-11-2_9-7-31.png

Also I want to update from uma 1.x to uma 2.x, but the wiki is down and I don't know how to correctly do it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  9. virror

virror

We are working on it. Might take a while though.

10. alecie

alecie

Too pricey for me... In fact i cant afford anything atm...

11. virror

virror

Then i guess you just have to make your own solution.
    Even if you have LOD and all that, you would still run into issues because you need to animate all those chars which is costly.

12. alecie

alecie

How do games like total war do their multitude of characters?

13. virror

virror

14. justtime

justtime

Is it possible to make prefab for UMA character ? I need to add ragdoll, a lot of scripts to player object, adjust tags etc.

15. Teila

Teila

Yeah, sorry about that. We are discussing what to do about it. :) Any suggestions?

16. hopeful

hopeful

17. UnLogick

UnLogick

The only way of making a prefab from a UMA character is also to breaks the uma connection of that character, so afterwards you can't customize it again.

We're slowly moving towards a world where it will be possible to have a uma character at design time, and have it be customizable still.

justtime, TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  18. Jaimi

Jaimi

If you use a DynamicAvatar, or a DynamicCharacterAvatar (which derives from DynamicAvatar), then you don't need to have a prefab to add scripts. You can do several things - You can create recipes that contain scripts that update your avatar - In scene02, look at the Troll dynamicAvatar (under UMA in the hierarchy). in the "UMA Additional Recipes" property, it adds two special recipes that modify the character. Or you could add code a script to the avatar itself, and have the "CharacterCreated" event call a function on the script when your character is ready, and have it programmatically update it.

justtime and TeagansDad like this.
  19. justtime

justtime

It looks like very very painfull process actually (if you have enormous properties to set up).

20. virror

virror

What you can do, is to create an empty GO that you put a UMA spawner script on. This GO will then become your character and you can put whatever scripts and whatnot on it.

TeagansDad likes this.
  21. virror

virror

TeagansDad, Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  22. Chris-Crafty

Chris-Crafty

Thanks for your reply Unlogick,
    will do, but you can have a look at the steam page, too ;). http://store.steampowered.com/app/288860
    I tried the latest Version, but it had VERY bad effects. Using humans, I got completely reflective PBR characters (I think metalness and 1 and Smoothness 1), anyways, they were almost completely black. Moreover, I have some custom races, and one of them was just a big pile of triangles, nothing even closely resembling a character. Others weren't so bad, but still, PBR overlays didn't really work. Is there an "upgrade guide" somewhere from "Assetstore UMA 2" to "UMA unity53"?
    I experimented there and for some reason I still don't understand, the PBR-shaded stuff is completely unaffected by my "color" ambient light. Everything "oldstyle" shaded is affected normally while the PBR characters (and Speedtrees) remain dark, only lit by the single directional light (sun). This might be because I turned off Precomputed Realtime GI and Baked GI, but even with PRGI on, the characters remained rather dark. Maybe I needed light probes, I don't know, I'm still getting the hang of the new lighting system. I turned out using Legacy Deferred camera, because it finally got the characters affected by ambient.
    I already own your Power Tools (love the prefab export), but wasn't able to use the LOD system yet :).

23. JMOStudios

JMOStudios

Where can I get a link for a high poly uma model (both genders) to use as a base to make clothes? I want to use it in Marvelous Designer but the model is so small. Also if I model clothes in MD will I have to model for every morph size or can it adjust with the model?

24. UnLogick

UnLogick

You can find the source meshes in
    https://github.com/huika/UMA-Extrafiles

We do not use morphs, so you don't have to make multiple scales. Just rig the clothes to the base mesh rig and you're done, due to the wonders of skinning your clothes will be resized together with the base mesh.

25. JMOStudios

JMOStudios

Thanks so much! That is great news! I was hoping to find the Build Volume and Arrangement point files used in Fernando's tutorial for Marvelous Designer. I did add some myself but if there is a better one I would like to use it. Anyway, I am so excited to get started making my own clothes. :D

26. Teila

Teila

Fernando's tutorials are rather old but they will get you started. There are no other tutorials for making clothes although, you can use the ones from Secret Anorak's videos to show you how to rig and skin the clothes to the UMA rig. Search for his YouTube videos. Good luck! I hope you will show us your results. I am planning to do the same thing eventually. :)

treshold likes this.
  27. Lapius

Lapius

Are you a maker? I need help to make uma on VR. how to spawn player and make him moove then you move in VR? i think i need to make uma generated prefab a child of VR prefab. i use htc vive.

28. Teila

Teila

I know very little about VR. Sorry. I suggest you join the UMA Slac channel if you need help.

29. virror

virror

@Lapius You want to have full body awareness in your game?
    If thats the case, it wont work well, and not because of UMA. You just dont have enough tracked points to make it look good. Only have tracked hands and/or arms can work really well though. I would recommend FinalIK, but there are other IK solutions out there as well that are cheaper but quite as good.
    I also suggest that you join the Slack channel, pm me if you want to join.

30. Velo222

Velo222

I'm having trouble with all of my UMA characters having their mouths open (jaws open). Does anyone have any information on this, or a possible fix.

I think I'm using a slightly older version of UMA, but I'm not sure?

***Edit: Nevermind, I think the UMA Dna setting of "mandibleSize" actually fixes this for me. Perhaps my "mandibleSize" was too large lol.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  31. KospY

KospY

Does it possible to generate a character with some separated mesh for different slot ?
    My goal is to apply different layers for some slot, however the character is always generated with only one mesh.

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

You'll need to use different UMAMaterials for the slots/overlays that you want to be separate.

33. hopeful

hopeful

As noted in many areas across the forums, the default setting in mecanim for jaw is "open." It's not an UMA thing, but a mecanim thing.

34. KospY

KospY

Just tried it but it do not separate mesh. It just apply two materials to the same skinned mesh renderer.

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

It creates two meshes that are managed by the Mesh object attached to the SkinnedMeshRenderer. What are you looking to do that requires two different SkinnedMeshRenderers?

36. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  37. virror

virror

We are working hard on getting it out : )

hopeful likes this.
  38. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

the UMA manager DK UMA 2 is already working with UMA 2.1, so a version will be available at the release of the UMA 2.1 package. For now the users of UMA 2.1 have to modify the DK scripts to make it compatible, but an information is available.

Keep going the good work guys ;)

39. hopeful

hopeful

At some point someone (UnLogick, I think) mentioned that UMA might get an automatic masking system to protect against poke-through. Is this in development yet, or is it just a good intention? :)

40. UnLogick

UnLogick

The masking system is complete in uma 2.1, however it is not automatic, you need to draw a mask and create a mask overlay and add that to the recipe.

hopeful likes this.
  41. hopeful

hopeful

So ... no actual magic involved? ;)

Looking forward to all the new stuff! :)

42. EricVenn

EricVenn

We are preparing an asset for large crowds, specially army crowds. It's possible to have more 3000 animated characters in a scene at the same time, with only a small fps loss. We are using a mix of techniques to optimize the draw calls, and random animation for natural smooth look. If you can wait three weeks, we are waiting for the asset store review. Our studio is called Captoonz.

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

Do you have a UMA sample that ships with the asset?

44. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

since Unity 5.5 is not beta anymore I just downloaded it.

Now I cannot compile anymoer, I get around 200 Errors because of deprecated methods in uma it seems.

Is there a uma 2 Version for unity 5.5 somewhere now?
    I just visited Jaimi's github but it Looks older. And the wiki seems to be off...

Thanks a lot!

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hey Firlefanz, you need to get the Unity53 branch to get the latest code. Also, it's not actually my Github, I think it's Joens and Fernandos! :)

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  46. virror

virror

47. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Great!

Downloaded the 53 and compiled with Unity 5.5. All samples work perfect, no Problems!
    Copied the scripts to my game. No Compiler Errors. Seems to work perfect.

Thanks a lot guys, great Job :D

hopeful likes this.
  48. Vikings2015

Vikings2015

I've downloaded Unity 5.5 and updated to UMA 53 but am getting some compile errors because I think my UMA Power Tools is not up-to-date. Does anyone know where I can get the latest version? I'm getting a lot of "The type of namespace 'UMALODConversionEntry' could not be found...". Thanks!

49. Teila

Teila

5.5 was just released and the asset developers will need time to make any changes needed and find any bugs caused by the new release.

I recommend you send an email to the developer, which you can find on the asset store. He may or may not send you a copy of the update when he has it done after you send the invoice number.

Or, you could give him a couple of weeks to update and submit to the store, which is really what you should do. Developers do not get the release before you do so need time to update the assets.

hopeful and TeagansDad like this.
  50. Vikings2015

Vikings2015

Thank you - I tried emailing the Dev but there was no response so not sure if the email was wrong or he's just busy. There was another thread that said he had a new version available that works with uma 2.1 but I can't reach him to get it so was hoping someone might know. I guess I will just wait a few weeks - thanks

EDIT: The developer got in touch with me and has been great - thanks!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016