Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. UnLogick

UnLogick

The problem with that extension has always been the ui, it's fairly complicated to use. I know how I want to redesign the ui but I simply don't have time to do it. I have a full time day job at a game studio and the development of uma and my extensions is a hobby where the priorities are based on a day to day interest. So keep talking about the quadrupedal and you just might spark my interest and get me to complete it. :)

If you have a project in dire need of it, the tech side does work and you're welcome to pm me. But I simply will not release this ui to the asset store and receive a hailstorm of 1-2 star reviews (which the current ui rightly deserves!).

TeagansDad and neoshaman like this.
  2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@virror @hopeful
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will have a look at the 53 branch.

I am not sure where a actual dk uma thread is and thought i read here some posts of them in this thread, that is the reason i ask here.

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

@UnLogick

I don't need it right now, but thanks I'll contact you when the time come lol

4. UnLogick

UnLogick

I've just released my first non uma package! Still I know several people have requested the feature to export fbx files from UMA.

Unity Fbx Exporter - windows only!
    Price: 100$ on the asset store

The Unity Fbx Exporter is an easy to use powerful fbx exporter that will allow you to export models and even scenes from Unity. It works on both skinned meshes and regular static meshes.

The resulting fbx files has been successfully tested with the following tools.
    • Maya and Maya LT
    • 3d Studio Max
    • Blender
    • Poser Pro
    • Unity
    It works on any mesh not just uma characters!

I will of course integrate it with the UMA Power Tools to produce a one click solution that will give you both fbx files and texture exports from an uma character similar to how the create prefab functionality works.

For more information please take a look at it's dedicated forum thread.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    boysenberry, Ruby-Roid and LacunaCorp like this.
  5. GameNative

GameNative

Having an issue with PBR, I don't think it was always an issue.

When I load a recipe the player loads with garbage PBR values and looks all shiny.
    The moment I examine the material in the inspector it corrects itself.

6. hopeful

hopeful

Just to give a bit more info to whoever might be helping you ... what versions of Unity and UMA are you using?

7. GameNative

GameNative

UMA 2, one from the asset store. (I did try the GitHub version, same issue)
    Unity 5.3.5f1

8. virror

virror

Did you try the latest 53 branch from github? Its the one we recommend and has a lot of various fixes. No idea if it will solve this issue though.

9. UnLogick

UnLogick

This is a known bug in Unity!

The material is missing some shader keywords! And the only code Unity provide to set these shader keywords are hidden away inside the inspector in the editor.

It is important that the uma reference material has textures in the same channels and that you select the material in the inspector. This will make Unity set the shader keyword, and then they will be copied to the end material when uma duplicates the reference material and it will end up working.

10. GameNative

GameNative

Thanks,

Got it resolved both of you were right. In the 53 branch there were some updated PBR materials that I believe caused the overall fix.

hopeful likes this.
  11. UnLogick

UnLogick

Quite a few people have experienced that one... it's trivial to fix, now that we figured out what caused it. :)

12. TalhaDX

TalhaDX

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to incorporate eye, skin, and hair color changing into the character customization example scene # 5.

Slider does not work properly, because no event is assigned to it. None of these things seem to exist in the asset, and no documentation refers to any of these. There is no example on how to change the color of anything, either.

The skin tone, hair, and facial hair selection sliders, along with the color selectors for these do not work. Please share how can i fix it

13. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

FYI: If you are using unity 5.5 (the beta) there is a small change that affects UMA as well. The profiler has been moved according to te changelog: "Profiler: Profiler class moved from UnityEngine namespace to UnityEngine.Profiling"

Edit: also the SkeletonBone.transformModified has been deprecated :)

Also a question, what is the difference between the various branches from the main? DynamicCS, unity53, DynamicCSBeta?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  14. virror

virror

unity53 is the current dev branch and the recommended to use for now as thats where all the bugfixes and new features are. The others are just feature branches that different devs are using. As soon as we are ready to deploy next update, unity53 will be merged into master.

15. UnLogick

UnLogick

I don't think anyone will be sad to see that go, I never figured out what it did... :)

Feel free to fork Unity53 branch and add stuff like
    #if UNITY_5_5
    using UnityEngine.Profiling;
    #endif
    Then just make a pull request and we'll get it merged in.

16. br20o0ly

br20o0ly

how to edit 3d object in blender if i import it as an fbx it will bring me an error says "ASCII FBX are not supported"

17. br20o0ly

br20o0ly

no one know

18. hopeful

hopeful

I had to search Google, but I think what you're looking for maybe is this: http://blenderfbx.render.jp/home

19. br20o0ly

br20o0ly

i tried it before and doesn't work

i tried it today in 3d max and it's work on 3d max.

20. UnLogick

UnLogick

@br20o0ly try exporting them from 3d max, then they'll be in binary fbx and you can import them to blender. The fbx files are old blender ascii fbx exports, that blender no longer supports.

21. Lapius

Lapius

Wiki link is down. Can't get help from documentation. Tryed to update from 1.x version, and now synchronisation does not work. Thanks a lot for nothing...

22. UnLogick

UnLogick

@Lapius try watching Secret Anorak's tutorials, they're excellent documentation

hopeful and Teila like this.
  23. br20o0ly

br20o0ly

how i can edit the base mesh of uma?

24. hopeful

hopeful

Aside from the UMA Unity package, there are UMA art folders on Github. Maybe you haven't seen these?

It sounds like you need the Content Pack.

https://github.com/huika/UMA-Extrafiles

25. SammmZ

SammmZ

Hey! I'm precisely following the Secret Anorak's tutorial on creating content and have a problem with making a slots with trancparency. When i'm using a UMALegacy material - trancparency is ignored (you can check the screenshot: the black parts on mask model and how the texture actually look). But when i'm using the UMALegacyTransparent material I got an error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Overlay 'MaskDS001' doesn't have the right number of channels
    Where am I wrong, what should I do?

26. UnLogick

UnLogick

The number of textures on the overlay asset must match the number of channels on the UMAMaterial, so you need to resize the array add some base textures. I guess that error message only makes sense when you're deep into the uma source.

27. SammmZ

SammmZ

So, there is no easy way to make a transparent material on the slot? Something like "make exactly as usual slot/overlay but add the _newchannel at the somescript.cs"? Wiki is dead, maybe there is some other places with documentation available?

28. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

I upgraded to Unity 5.5.0b8 and now UMA-2 is broken i get this error

Skeletobone.transformmodified obsolete!!!

29. virror

virror

Well, its beta so things will break.
    Please use the 53 branch, this issue has been fixed there.

hopeful likes this.
  30. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

awesome, thanks, where are the branches located, sorry i know nothing about it, i got it from asset store a long time ago.

31. virror

virror

32. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

So Skeletonbone.transformmodified was removed by Unity? I wonder why they would do that suddenly?I had my own personal modifications to UMA, now i have to redo it all if i go to version 53 branch, im starting to hate programming, every day somebody changes something and force me to redo everything!!

33. Lacvapps13

Lacvapps13

Hello I am working on the 53 branch and I was wondering if anyone has had success with cloth simulation for hair in an uma slot. Also I PM'd you @UnLogick k about joining the Slack channel.

34. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes there is - You create a UMAMaterial, create the channels (texture slots) for it, and assign a Material to it. Then on the overlay, you assign the UMA Material, and provide the textures for each channel.

By default, there should be a cutout UMA Material already "UMA_Cutout_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic" - it uses the Standard Shader. If you need "transparent" instead of cutout, just duplicate the material, change it to "transparent". Duplicate the UMAMaterial, and have it use the new Material you just made. And then assign that to the overlay - it will be built into a new atlas (since the material is different).

35. SammmZ

SammmZ

Oh, I see. I don't know why, but my uma package by default use UMA/bumped_specular shader. It have only RGB channel for diffuse and don't have any alpha information.

36. SammmZ

SammmZ

I get it. The Secret Anorak's tutorial use the legacy UMA 2 and you are referencing to the PBR version. Anyway, thanks. Now I see where I need to gigging in.

37. LacunaCorp

LacunaCorp

Anybody ran into a build-only issue where UMAs are invisible? Everything is working perfectly in the editor, but in any build I do the UMA generates (clearly, no errors, as the camera controller is able to lock on to the body and moves into position) but it totally invisible. The ref is obviously there as I can rotate in the creation scene and the camera follows the uma, it's just not being rendered. This happens in singleplayer and multiplayer. I've also checked the execution order- UMAGenerator is preloaded at -20121.

If you have the faintest idea of what might be causing this, please do let me know.

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

How are you creating your character? Did you set up slot libraries/overlay libraries, or are you using your own code? If you're using your own code, are they in resources so they are there at run time? Are you getting any messages in the player log?

39. LacunaCorp

LacunaCorp

Thanks for the reply, yeah we're just using the standard slot and overlay libraries, there are some changes to work with our clothing and perform some calculations but there has never been an issue with this. It was working the last time I checked in a build, probably about a week ago, and fine over the network. But now it's just totally invisible.

There was one change- the animation controller, which I'm about to test. I figure that maybe it's down to that, since before this was happening there was no controller assigned at in creation, only the T-Pose. It's working fine in the editor but that's the only change to the system I can think of. Will report back soon with results.

EDIT: Just as I expected, no difference. We are not interacting with the system externally in any way other than we did before, in other words I can see literally no change from the setup since it was last working to now.

40. LacunaCorp

LacunaCorp

Fixed it.

Pro tip- if you switch to DX12 for testing then don't forget that you did so.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    UnLogick and hopeful like this.
  41. Chris-Crafty

Chris-Crafty

Hello everyone, thanks for the great work you are doing on UMA! I've built a whole game ecosystem around it by now, with sophisticated character editor, multiple fantasy races you can create (male and female of course) and all the (humanoid) characters in my fantasy RPG are UMAs.

Now I've run into some strange issues with UMA. I'm currently on the "master" branch of UMA plus Ribeiros "PBR" assets. Maybe these problems are solved in branch unity 53, I'm happy to upgrade if this resolves them:

1) In builds (and only there, unfortunately), there is sometimes an error with constructing the Avatar:
    Code (csharp):
    1. AvatarBuilder 'char_female_villager4': Transform 'Global' parent 'Root' must be included in the HumanDescription Skeleton
    . I have no idea what goes wrong there, most of the time it works fine, sometimes the above happens.

2) Also only in builds, and also only sporadically, the generated Texture atlas (which I'm reducing to 2048² because I want 30+ UMAs to run around my scene(s)) is all black - or at least it is rendered all black, which I have learned can also be a PBR-too-metallic-problem. Strangest thing is, sometimes it only happens to parts of the atlas. See the screenshot to illustrate the issue.

Hope you can help me out there :).

screnshot_blackavatar.png

42. Teila

Teila

Working on some tests with Will's clothes and his SSS updates to his face pack. I am pretty happy with the results.

I alternate between putting these here and on Will's thread so the UMA guys get credit for the cool characters and Will for his clothes! So check his thread if you want to see more examples.

43. PerunCreative

PerunCreative

Hi, I would like to ask about the cutout overlay workflow. I have shoes where part of the feet is coming out. So I would like to mask it out, but I didn't figure it out how to do it properly. If I share the same overlay between body, hands and feet do I have to create 3x different overlays with different alpha mask, but the same diffuse, normal and specular colors? Is there a way how to mask out some body part, but without the need having 3 times the same texture in the atlas?

44. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hey Chris

Looks super good, please post more screenshots... even screenshots without bugs are welcome. :D

Issue #1
    I'm almost certain that this issue has been resolved in the unity53 branch. (UMA 2.1)

Issue #2
    I'm almost certain that you're running out of gpu memory, uma uses render textures and when you request a render texture from unity that there is no gpu memory for unity still gives you something that in most ways acts like a render texture, except the result isn't there as you can see.

I suggest looking at the LOD scene in the unity53 branch, it shows a very simple technique that re-generates the atlas based on distance. And unless all 30 characters are super close to the camera at the same time this results in dramatic gpu memory improvements. Please note that this technique works in uma 1+2 as well, we just never added a demo showing it. (Aside from my Power Tools which contains a deeper and more complex lod system which also uses this.)

hopeful likes this.
  45. Sorn

Sorn

Can't figure out how to extract T-Pose correctly. Have done it in the past, but I'm missing a crucial step here.

EDIT: Figured it out but I might leave this here for other newbies to find an easy answer :)
    1. Open UMA/Content/Humanoid/FBX/Female/Female_Unified with Rig -> Configure
    1.1: New Folders are:
    UMA/Content/UMA_Core/HumanMale/Fbx/
    UMA/Content/UMA_Core/HumanFemale/Fbx/
    2. I'd duplicate the existing one before you modify it, you can just reimport it but it's faster to have your own copy around.
    2. Adjust something therein, probably avoid messing with anything with 'adjust' in the name
    3. Hit apply -> Done
    4. Select the Unified prefab that you adjusted in the Project viewer.
    5. UMA -> Extract T-Pose (pull down menu at top)
    6. Humanoid/Races/Human Female
    7. change TPose variable to the TPose you extracted, it will probably have the same name as the default, but be in an assets/Tpose folder instead

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    runningbird and Teila like this.
  46. Teila

Teila

This should probably go on the Wiki!

runningbird and hopeful like this.
  47. justtime

justtime

Hello! Is it possible to cut off model limbs in runtime? Implies that i will prepare parts in modelling software and then need somehow adjust UMA for that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  48. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes, if you prepare the model before hand by making all the different slots. for example, the base UMA models already come with separate hands.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    justtime likes this.
  49. alecie

alecie

Can you use legacy animations and PBR materials?

How do you import custom animations to UMA 2?

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can definitely use PBR materials. You can use any materials you want, actually. As for legacy animations, it should be possible in theory. But why? Using an AnimatorController is way easier, and does all the hard work for you. And you can put your legacy animations in them - you just have to create the avatars for them.

As to how to import custom animations - you don't. You just assign the AnimatorController that you've created to it. Add your animations to that.