Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Hmm,... looks like escape codes are being stripped for security in your php script. You can either serialize your uma a different way or use a non secure routine in PHP when saving your UMA.

Alternativley, if you don't feel comfortable with PHP you can write a dirty little routine to change all "\" on your string to something that wont get stripped like "~" before upload. You would need an opposite routine to correct them again on download.

Hope that helps.

hopeful likes this.
  2. Subtellite

Subtellite

Thanks, gonna try something like that. Problem is I'm not using PHP, I'm using Mysql from unity directly. I plan later on transfering it to server and clients would read from server and not have mysql direct connection.

Also one question for SecretAnorak =)
    Since I have:
    public UMAGenerator generator;
    public SlotLibrary slotLibrary;
    public OverlayLibrary overlayLibrary;
    public RaceLibrary raceLibrary;
    in "MyUMA"
    and player would spawn from prefab after networking instantiate, what kind of solution is there to attach UMAKit's SlotLibrary, UMAGenerator to generator, slotLibrary in my UMA at runtime spawn. Since they are not GameObjects I have no idea how to do this yet...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  3. dudedude123

dudedude123

I had exported a .fbx model to unity but it won't let me make a slot of it

4. Honour-Demon

Honour-Demon

Hi all. I'm pretty new to UMA and was hoping I could get a few Q's answered here seeing as I'm not really getting the information I need from google searches.

Main Topic: Blender To UMA.
    1. Do i have to create Slots {Compatible Meshes} for Armor, Gear, etc.{None Deform-able/rigid Objects}?
    2. If so what would the Pipeline be like? Which Content blend file am I using? SLtoUMA or UMA_Blender?
    3. Must I export the whole Race along with rig and the new mesh? What exactly am I meant to export?
    4. If any available, could some one please link a tutorial that is Blender specific? {I'm really only looking for the specific parts around exporting from Blender, and what exactly I'm exporting}. The information available is rather bleak.
    5. Are there similarities to SecretAnorak's "max pipeline" Content Creation Tutorial that Will help?
    6. Can I use Sculptris as a suitable replacement for ZBrush if it would be a better option? {Fernandos Tutorials would be more relevant then, I guess?}
    My limitations and Relevant Experience:
    1. Not an 3D artist or modeller with some if not little experience with blender for anything beyond simple structures {Buildings} and furnishings.
    2. Currently Following SecretAnorak's 'A Practical Guide To UMA' Series and just finished part 11. His content creation Series seems to focus on the max pipeline?
    3. I started watching Fernando's Tutorials, but his stuff seems to be out dated.
    @SecretAnorak :Your tuts are Epic and well Crafted btw :). I already have an Idea about using Enum's and casting them as strings or int's for cataloging slots and overlays :), maybe something that would make the Unity Editor and run-time side of things way more palatable :), well for me in any way. Sry for the un-relatedness.

SecretAnorak likes this.
  5. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure if you have located Fernando's UMA videos, but there are a few that go over slot creation in UMA.

In the SLtoUMA bit, the "SL" part refers to Second Life. I'm not sure if anybody really uses that any more, and I wouldn't think there would be much help for you in that area.

My impression is that Blender to UMA is the easiest way to go, if you don't mind learning how to use Blender.

Honour-Demon likes this.
  6. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Hi there, if I understand correctly, then simply shove the following code into the Start() method of your UMAMaker script.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. generator = GameObject.Find("UMAGenerator").GetComponent<UMAGenerator>();
    2. slotLibraray = GameObject.Find("SlotLibrary").GetComponent<SlotLibrary>();
    3. overlayLibrary = GameObject.Find("OverlayLibrary").GetComponent<OverlayLibrary>();
    4. raceLibrary = GameObject.Find("RaceLibrary").GetComponent<RaceLibrary>();
    This will find all the relevant necessary components in any scene (as long as you haven't renamed them). You could, of course, mess around with static classes and whatnot if you wanted to be ultra efficient, but this is a nice easy catch all.

7. Honour-Demon

Honour-Demon

Thanks @hopeful for your Reply :).

I have in the mean time bin trying to to use blender and decided to try and get a simple mesh imported. The mesh works great and all but I seem to be having problems with the rig. When I attach the slot my UMA goes all wacky :S

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Edit: Updated PB link.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. Honour-Demon

Honour-Demon

LOL. I got it to work. :) I was exporting as FBX - binary and that seems to be the biggest prob.

Realized this after digging in the wiki some more: Link To UMA Wiki
    To be honest, I don't know how I overlooked this :/, sry.

The Black thing is just a divided and shaped plane {TestHat :?}, at least it works now. Man this had me going for the last 5 days :D.

Any how. Any one getting stuck with more or less the same prob can just look at that Link. And remember to only export the new mesh and the UMA_Male_Rig objects, Other wise there will still be issues with the rig.

More Experienced peeps can probably do a lot more but if I get the pipeline down I'll gladly Post about it. Concerning that, is there a general Forum, web page/site where I can do a more in depth tutorial? Would any one be interested? "This will be for blender with the main focus on exporting and importing."

Chow.

Edit: Misleading Grammar. Added some q's. :?
    Edit: Updated PB Links.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    hopeful likes this.
  9. Honour-Demon

Honour-Demon

Hey @dudedude123 . Could you possibly expand on what exactly you did? What modeling software you used? etc.

As it stands now your being rather vague.

But if it will help, Look at @SecretAnorak 's Profile and follow the Links to his tutorials There {Profile Link for your conveniance}. Please Just keep in mind that his Tutorial uses 3DS-Max with the content creation Tutorial.

Any how. I hope you find what you need, and if not try here again. Maybe just give more information :D. I myself may not be able to help you but it will help many frequenting this thread to be able to give advice or information that you need.

{Hmm - I think I'm posting here way to much.}

Later :D

10. hopeful

hopeful

My impression is that people are always asking for more info / more examples on how to use all the features of UMA. Probably a good place to add info would be on the wiki you referenced earlier, though I suppose another route would be to amend the PDF docs that come with the UMA download.

EDIT: And another option would be to publish one or more videos. Secret Anorak has some great videos out there, but I'll bet there are a few other things about UMA that remain to be covered.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  11. davebutlerenator2

davebutlerenator2

Hey Everyone,

I'm having a UMA-related performance issue. When I spawn many UMA objects into the scene at once (around 100), I notice a significant performance hit in the Aminators.Update and MeshSkinning.Update functions. These two functions combined take up around 11.5ms for 100 UMA objects, but only 8ms for 100 non-UMA objects with a comparable number of tris. Is there any way to reduce the performance hit when using many UMA objects?

Thanks,
    David

12. hopeful

hopeful

The first thing that comes to mind is maybe the difference is the extra sizing bones in UMA ...? If so, there should be a way to bake them out and re-test.

13. Moerk75

Moerk75

UMA power tool maybe? ;D

14. davebutlerenator2

davebutlerenator2

Interesting thought, I'll look into it. Thanks guys.

15. kikkina

kikkina

Hi all, I need your help.....
    I 'm using your plugin UMA and I would connect the avatar with Kinect controller . I created a DynamicAvatar , but the avatar follows only the central position as a rigid block . I can connect it to a controller kinect? If I use Male_separetedAvatar with kinect is ok!

16. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

I have no idea how your kinect plugin works, but I am certain your problems are arising from the fact that UMA's do not exist until a few cycles into runtime. This causes problems with many plugins and controllers as they assign animations or connect to a bone structure before runtime. Your first port of call is working out how to swap Non-UMA characters at runtime with your Kinect plugin. Once you have that mastered it should be nice and easy to assign an UMA instead of a fixed model. You may need to hook into the Character creation callbacks to do this successfully.

Have a look at this episode to find out how to detect when an UMA has been fully generated:

UnLogick and hopeful like this.
  17. seanrod

seanrod

Is anyone using UMA in Unity 5 productions these days?

18. UnLogick

UnLogick

Just a quick heads up, for purposes like messing with the animation controller and stuff like that you actually want to use the OnCharacterUpdated event as that is fired everytime the character is built and rebuilt, the constructed is only fired the first time. This doesn't matter for props they will stay there while uma updates.

hopeful and SecretAnorak like this.
  19. seanrod

seanrod

I'm using Unity 5.3. I can't seem to import the "ContentLegacy.unitypackage" SecretAnorak graciously provided. Is there a different way to get the UMA Male in a test scene so I can continue with SecretAnorak's tutorials? The UMA Wiki seems to be out of date.

20. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Hi there seanrod,
    I'm guessing you're talking about the pack for the content creation tutorial. I've just imported it into 5.3.4 and it works fine. It's just a couple of scripts and a premade scene to let you manually add slots and overlays, nothing magical. You could go the long way round and build it yourself by following my first series, but I'm guessing that's 3 hours of your life, you'd like to keep.

Here's a fresh copy, try again ;)

Attached Files:

21. UnLogick

UnLogick

After popular demand we're adding a Slack Team for the uma-community, all members can invite new members, so just give a shout out if you want an invite.

22. sean3Dmonkey

sean3Dmonkey

Thank you so much SecretAnorack. I would also like to learn the "long way round." I feel it will help me understand the tools better. I really do appreciate the "short cut", too. Ha ha.

Thank you for making all the video tutorials, too. If i may ask, you have so many informative tutorials, which videos will show me the long way round?

23. sean3Dmonkey

sean3Dmonkey

I would like an invite. Thank you for providing this.

24. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Count me in boss.

Your ticket to hours and hours of fun starts here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkDHFObfS19wRJ9vvaDTwCe-zRPv9jI25

Hope that helps

25. UnLogick

UnLogick

You need to give me an email to sign up, you can just pm me with the one you wish to use for slack. If you have an existing slack account just send me that one.

26. sean3Dmonkey

sean3Dmonkey

What is a Slack account?

27. sean3Dmonkey

sean3Dmonkey

28. virror

virror

Just pm him your email, that's easiest : )

29. Udin89

Udin89

Hello, I have interest in these UMA system. But unfortunately there's no anime style option for the head.
    Actually, I have a lot of 'anime-style' head like this :

Can I change the head and using it for the bodies?

30. hopeful

hopeful

A head is just a slot. The question for you is, I think, do you also want a matching anime style body?

You can do any style of body / clothes you want. The art provided with UMA is just to get you started, so you can see how the system works, and you've got something to demo with. It also provides a standard that enables people to make clothing for the asset store.

31. Teila

Teila

Udin, you might want to try Fuse. It is free and has lovely anime heads and bodies. There are several styles of heads and you can use sliders to change the faces. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, though, Adobe has made some changes so maybe not as great as before but worth a try.

hopeful likes this.
  32. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Moerk75, UnLogick and hopeful like this.
  33. seanrod

seanrod

SecretAnorack scene is working out great, Anorack! Thanks, bro.

SecretAnorak likes this.
  34. seanrod

seanrod

I can not see a Pants_Slot asset in my Slots>Pants folder after I press "Create Slot" in the Slot Builder UI.

Everything worked out fine when I made the slot for the Hat.

I have tried duplicating the FBX and trying the process over again, but I still do not see the Pants_Slot asset in my Pants folder. Has anyone encountered this issue?
    This is the process I used.

Code (CSharp):
    1. //
    2. A. Select the prop in the "Scene Project" tab.
    3. B. Go up to UMA in the Main Menu.
    4.     1. Select "Slot Builder"
    5.     2. find the "Slot Mesh" channel in the interface.  You will then open up the Prop in the Model folder, select the geometry skinned to the rig, and drag the geometry into the "Slot Mesh" channel. Dragging the skinned mesh from the Scene Hierarchy to the Slot Mesh does not seem to work; better to drag from the Models folder. If you select the wrong asset don't worry, the geometry is the only asset the "Slot Mesh" channel will accept.
    6. C. Select a UMA Material.
    7.    1. Press the radio button and select UMA Legacy.
    8. D. Drag in the Slot folder you created into the "Slot Destination Folder" channel.
    9. E. Enter an "Element Name" to match the Prop name.
    10.    1. This is the name the prop will have in the Slots folder.
    11.    2. You should probably re-use this name for the Element name in the texture process.
    12. F. Press the "Create Slot" Button.
    13.    1. Then close the "Slot Builder" window; the window is no longer needed.
    14. G. To verify everything worked, go to the "Scene Project" tab and open up the" Slot" folder and see if the Prop has a child in its hierarchy that has the "(prop name)_Slot."
    15. H. Put your "Prop Slot" into the "Slot Library" so all your characters can wear the prop.
    16.    1. In the scene hierarchy tab, click on the "Slot Library"
    17.        a. In the Inspector, you will see a box called "Drag Slots Here"
    18.    2. In the "Scene Project" tab, open up your prop and look at its children.  Find the child called "(prop name)_Slot" and drag it over to the "Drag Slots Here" in the Inspector.
    19.        a. Scroll down to the bottom of the Inspector and you will see your prop added to the Inspector.
    20.    3. You will need to go to the code and make sure the assets have been added so your characters can wear the props.
    21.        a. Hit save on the script and press play on Unity; you will see your prop on the test character.    
    22.    4. Test out the "Size" tools so you can see the prop scale with the body part it is assigned to.
    23.        a. Select the character in the "Scene Hierarchy" tab (make sure play is still on) and go to the Inspector.  Scroll down to the head channel and slide the "Size" slider around to see the prop scale with the head. (if you wanted to see a hat prop scale with the head)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  35. seanrod

seanrod

I rebuilt the pants, exported them, the ran through the process in Unity and I can not figure out why the Pants_Slot are not in my Slots>Pants folder.
    If I make a test hat with a new name, export it, and run through the Unity process, I can see the new hat on the UMA avatar.

Could there be a corruption in an Slot Library preventing me from seeing the pants?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  36. seanrod

seanrod

Sent you a message through Facebook with my email address.

37. UnLogick

UnLogick

Good luck with that, I plan to check my facebook account around september for the annual school reunion. Pm on this forum please.

38. seanrod

seanrod

Ok, my email address is sean3Dmonkey@hotmail.com

39. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I watched the following video and it told me to come here. I kind of figured it out on my own though for UMA 2, except there's a huge texture issue when I apply it to my character (live at least).

I followed the tutorial SLtoUMA textures and I got the starlight texture transferred over to my project flawlessly, except when I apply the OverlayDataAsset to the character (I do it while in the editor playtesting the game in case that's the issue), some parts are black and it doesn't seem to be set right. I go into the character and go into slots and replace the FemaleBody and FemaleFace. I attached all screenshots just to show you what I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z19bjc6aykydpmo/AAAK_xyQIHCIgSMoXbiJM8eMa?dl=0

40. Teila

Teila

That is a really old video. Are you using UMA2? That is different. Try Secret Anorak's videos instead.

41. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Yes I did, and okay thanks I'll take a look at that. I just hope I don't have to go through that texture stuff again :p I don't mind importing it again though.

42. seanrod

seanrod

I still do not understand why the pants will not export a Pant_Slot from the Slot Builder.
    If I export shorts from the same Maya file and run it through the Slot builder, I can see a Shorts_Slot in my Slots>Shorts folder.

Has anyone come across this issue? Do the pants have to be skinned to specific bone adjustments?

43. seanrod

seanrod

Figured it out, I was having problems with Unity 5.3. The pants export the Pants_Slot in Unity 5.2.2.

hopeful likes this.
  44. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, I'm sure that will be useful for many people.

Still seem to be having issues myself though, the body doesn't look right, face works pretty good though.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=882EF7B44808FEEB!2765&authkey=!AHt2e-zkqBB-qLc&v=3&ithint=photo,png

Edit: Ignore the missing underwear, it's mad that my character is 2048x2048 but it's only 1024,1024.

45. seanrod

seanrod

No problem, JesseJarvis. I always try to share.

I'm having issues trying to see my pant mesh on the Male avatars in the crowd. After doing my process, the leg's skin and the pants do not render; the legs and pants in the crowd are invisible.

This is the process I'm using:

A. Make sure your mesh is in the Slot Library.

B. Select the UMACrowd in the Hierarchy.

___1. Go the Inspector and open up the Random Pool.

______a. This will show you the male and female models that will appear in the crowd.

___2. If you change the "Size" from 2 to 1, you will see the female mesh went away and you will only see the male mesh.

______a.You need to replace this HumanMale asset with a new Random Sets asset to see your clothing item you created.

______b. Select the Male mesh in the Element 0 channel.

______c. This will highlight the HumanMale in the RandomSets folder.

_______d. Duplicate the HumanMale and you will see "HumanMale 1."

_______e. Rename the "HumanMale 1" to "HumanMale_Clothing."

_______ f. Drag the "HumanMale_Clothing" and replace the "HumanMale" in the Element 0 channel.

___3. Go back and select the "HumanMale_Clothing" in the RandomSets folder.

_______a. Open the "Data" and "Slot Elements" drop down and you will see a list of Elements from "Element 0" - "Element 14."

_______b. Each one of these elements is a potential slot for a clothing mesh you want to attach to the player.

___1. Open up each one and under the "Possible Slot" drop down, you will see what body part the slot is assigned to. For example Element 0 is Male Eyes, Element 1 is Male Face, and Element 2 is Male Torso.

_______a. So, if you want to see pants on the feet you would open up Element 5.

___1. Replace the current pants Slot ID with your pants Slot Name.

___2. To find the Slot Name of your pants, open up the asset in the Slots folder, look at the child assets, and find the asset that has the "(clothing name)_Slot." Click on that file and look in the Inspector for Slot Name channel. The name in this channel is the name you want to copy.

C. The Crowd scene should still be selected, press Play and you should see your pants on half of the crowd.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  46. silentneedle

silentneedle

I'm currently looking for someone who transfers the uma rig to a custom character, of course the job is paid. Please PM me with references/portfolio and your hourly/daily rate if you're interested.

47. frankmat

frankmat

Hi,

Has anyone been able to get UMA working on a multiplayer network?

48. virror

virror

Yeah, many are using UMA for mmos and other multiplayer games. You just have to send the saved recipe string over the network and recreate your uma locally on each client.

49. frankmat

frankmat

Ok great thank you. I have been going around in circles trying to figure out how to get it done... and nothing is working.

I mean when do you add the prefab to the NetworkManager? Do you autocreate the player? or have to code it to make it join after it is create etc.

I can't seem to find a single tutorial on it. :(

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  50. virror

virror

I just put an empty GameObject as the player spawn with a script on it.
    This script is checking if its the local player, and if it is, its sends a command with its recipie that in turn send a rpc to all clients to create the UMA using this recipe. Then of course i have to do a lot of setting up the player adding player controllers and stuff, but its working well.

frankmat and hopeful like this.