Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

OHHH KKKKKK... finally getting somewhere!! So to add the metallic texture you'd need to plug it in after the overlay is created (because am I not right that the UMA tool/MATERIAL BUILDER CREATE OVERLAY needs to be updated? Or has it been upgraded recently?)

2. ecurtz

ecurtz

You don't need to use the Material Builder to make overlays unless you're using the legacy shader, you can just use the menu item Assets | Create | Overlay Data Asset and fill in the data by hand. Or start with one using the right material and duplicate it. IMO the Material Builder window should probably be split between overlays and slots, but it didn't happen in 2.0.

Dreamaster likes this.
  3. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Hi Eli,

Thanks for creating an example script, that's definately something we could use to work from lol, but I am getting these errors.

example for slot asset.png

Is this for UMA 2.0?

4. ecurtz

ecurtz

Yes. I assume everyone starting a new project would want to use UMA 2, there's no reason to use the old stuff unless you have something in progress you're worried about breaking.

In UMA 1 the slotName is in the SlotData rather than inside the SlotData.asset, and you'll have to directly add the slot into the array rather than using UMARecipe.MergeSlot().

Richardm1985 likes this.
  5. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Oh great, sorry I do have UMA 2.0 but wasn't sure on how to fix the errors. I assume I need to add the "asset" member into the SlotData.cs script?

Edit:
    This particular problem solved thanks to Eli I was using UMA 1.2.2!

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  6. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Anyone able to please point me in the right direction in creating slot data in UMA 2.0? Is it still with MaterialBuilder? Because the steps:

Step 5 - Set up UMA SlotData (Meshes)[edit]
    Using the Material Builder is essential for meshes! There is no easier way to say it, without this window you have no chance in hell of creating a valid SlotData short of being a UMA guru!

1. Set the "Element Name" field to whatever you want your SlotData to be called.
    2. Set the "Race Prefab SkinnedMesh" to "Assets/UMA/UMA_Project/Models/Male/MaleUnified/UMA_Human_Male" or "Assets/UMA/UMA_Project/Models/Female/FemaleUnified/UMA_Human_Female"
    3. Set the "Slot Mesh SkinnedMeshRender" to ýour mesh.
    4. Set the "Material Sample", if you want the mesh to use UMA shaders you set it to "Assets/UMA/UMA_Assets/MaterialSamples/UMABaseShaderSample" otherwise you set it to a material of your choice using the shaders and settings of your choice!
    Don't seem valid anymore

Dreamaster likes this.
  7. UnLogick

UnLogick

Well the text needs some editing, but it's even more valid... there is no way in hell I could create a SlotDataAsset without the Material Builder.

Dreamaster and Richardm1985 like this.
  8. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Thanks Joen! I got your message also, I updated the Wiki site to reflect your response.

boysenberry likes this.
  9. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

I still can't create an Overlay using materialbuilder in UMA 2.0.

I have three textures, diffuse, normal, specular. I drag into the box in MaterialBuilder and they all go into their allocated spots. I click on "Create Overlay" and I get the error listed below:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMAEditor.UMATextureImporterUtil.ConvertDefaultAssets_DiffuseAlpha_Normal_Specular (System.String diffuseAlpha, System.String normal, System.String specular, System.String assetFolder, System.String assetName, System.String textureFolder, UnityEngine.Shader shader) (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UMATextureImporterUtil.cs:47)
    UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow.CreateTexture () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UmaTexturePrepareWindow.cs:264)
    UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UmaTexturePrepareWindow.cs:108)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Also a copy of all three of my textures are created into my chosen overlay folder, except they are of an unknown type and when I select any one of them I get this following error:

ArgumentException: May only be called in OnPostProcessTexture
    UnityEditor.TextureImporterInspector+PlatformSetting.Sync () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/TextureImporterInspector.cs:702)
    UnityEditor.TextureImporterInspector+PlatformSetting..ctor (System.String name, BuildTarget target, UnityEditor.TextureImporterInspector inspector) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/TextureImporterInspector.cs:614)
    UnityEditor.TextureImporterInspector.BuildTargetList () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/TextureImporterInspector.cs:2100)
    UnityEditor.TextureImporterInspector.ResetValues () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/TextureImporterInspector.cs:2135)
    UnityEditor.AssetImporterInspector.Awake () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/AssetImporterInspector.cs:100)

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep I'm receiving the same errors as Richardm1985. All textures are the same size, compression etc. Overlays show up as blank unrecognized icons.

I'm also receiving another error on play. Fem head and body textures don't show. I'm using scene 06 recipe. All the slots and overlays are in the recipe. The Outfit is using a Standard shader material not UMA Legacy/UMAbase shader sample.( The head, body, etc, is still using the default Legacy material.)

ScreenHunter_354 May. 07 10.56.jpg

ScreenHunter_356 May. 07 11.17.jpg

11. ecurtz

ecurtz

Pushed a fix for the overlay generation thing. It was the previously mentioned modified version of WriteAllBytes required for the WebPlayer build. Changed it to only use System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes() in editor code where it's available regardless of deployment target.

12. ecurtz

ecurtz

All of the overlays on those slots are using the same material and have the same number of textures defined?

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

New try. Different scene.

Using Scene 01 Crowd:

Using a random set.

New slot was created with UMA 2.0.

Slot material is UMALegacy. It's Using the default FemaleBody01 overlay (to test).

I receive the following error:

ScreenHunter_358 May. 07 12.23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ecurtz

For Scene 06

The Slots for the outfit were using the same material (F_Poor 1 Legacy) . The Slots for Head, body etc, are using the UMALegacy Material.

Legacy Material (correct texture order)
    ScreenHunter_360 May. 07 12.35.jpg
    Overlay
    ScreenHunter_359 May. 07 12.34.jpg

Material:

ScreenHunter_361 May. 07 12.35.jpg

15. ecurtz

ecurtz

Line 209 in the FemaleDNAConverter was for the forearm twist bone, which I assume your new torso slot isn't using. The latest github code has been changed to ignore missing bones rather than error on them, so this will be fixed in 2.0.1 or if you grab the latest code.

16. ecurtz

ecurtz

If you define 9 texture channels in your UMAMaterial it's going to expect your overlay to have 9 textures defined as well. You should only define the channels in the material your overlays will actually be setting, the rest will use the default values from the Unity material sample. Also if you're using the standard shader the _BumpMap channel type should be set to indicate it's a normal map. I posted a screenshot of the UMAMaterial the demos use for the standard shader on the previous page, it only uses three of the possible textures.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Torso is using the forearm twist bone:

ScreenHunter_363 May. 07 12.47.jpg ScreenHunter_364 May. 07 12.48.jpg

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ecurtz Thanks for the replies.

I've tried only 4 textures in the UMA Material and it made the model show up black. Might have been the normal map setting. Will try that out and let you know.

19. boysenberry

boysenberry

I want to thank everyone who is posting their issues with UMA 2. I haven't been able to dig in yet and have been watching this thread to see how everyone is fairing. Glad there are some people willing to get a few arrows in their butts. I want to especially thank Richard for getting some of this priceless information into the wiki, super useful!
    I am looking forward to digging in and doing the same myself in short order.
    I imagine the way to keep abreast of the updates is to just grab the UMA 2 git repo, right?
    Also, how to official releases happen? I would preferably work with released version in my production project at least.

Richardm1985 likes this.
  20. ecurtz

ecurtz

Actually I have another potential cause. The Unity Material reference used by the UMAMaterial seems to require that the textures you'll be using be defined on the sample. They'll all get replaced, so it doesn't matter which samples you use, but there can be issues if they are empty.

21. ecurtz

ecurtz

There's discussion about whether an update is needed/ready on the Skype group and then Fernando or Joen (in practice Joen for 2.0 stuff) submits the update to the store. Caitlyn has it fast-tracked so they don't need to wait for review before the new version goes live.

boysenberry likes this.
  22. Suraia

Suraia

Hello,

I'm sorry to bother you guys again. I've been working on a makehuman model to try and create my own models to use with UMA. After a long fight with the weight painting and the bones I was looking at the werewolf tutorial to create a new race when I saw UMA 2 was out.

Now I'm trying to continue my attempt to make my own races in UMA 2 but I saw things have changed from the werewolf tutorials which were made for UMA1.

After copying and changing the prefab, creating slots and overlays and starting a randomset I tried to run the program to see what happened and this error pops up.

Since the tutorials are so different from the new UMA 2 I have absolutely no idea what's going on or how I can fix this to continue.

I guess it may have something to do with the randomset I started.

The code the error is referring to is:

this.colorData = new OverlayColorData(asset.material.channels.Length);

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

23. ecurtz

ecurtz

My guess based on where you're getting the error is that your Female_Eyes_Slot doesn't have the material set, but that's just a guess.

24. hopeful

hopeful

BTW, the UMA update is already out. :)

25. ecurtz

ecurtz

Yeah, 2.0.1 should have fixes for most of what has been reported so far (as far as actual bugs go).

26. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

I updated to UMA 2.0.1, my 3 textures (diffuse, normal, spec) all work fine with the material builder and so does my slot. The slots and overlay are created with success.

issue mat builder.png

Here is the slot and overlay properties of both newly created items:

issue slot and overlay.png

Here is the current settings for my UMA Material and Unity Material.

issue shader and mat.png

So I decided to create a slot for the male:

issue male slots.png

My issue occurs now.

- I used a modified version of your file, I called "SwapMaleShirt", but I want to add a helmet to my UMA's head using Scene 03 - Serialized, like you had with your file "SwapFemaleShirt". I think my issue is because I am "swapping out" and not "adding"?

I keep getting this error:

---------------------
    Slot 'MaleFace' and Overlay 'Thracian Helmet' doesn't have the same uma material
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UMA.SlotData:Validate() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/SlotData.cs:229)
    UMA.UMARecipe:Validate() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:277)
    UMA.UMAData:Validate() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:155)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:HandleDirtyUpdate(UMAData) (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:88)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:OnDirtyUpdate() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:138)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Update() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:73)
    ---------------------

I am a noob when it comes to scripting with UMA. Are you able to notice where I have gone wrong (file is attached)?

Attached Files:

27. ecurtz

ecurtz

The issue is that there are two different versions of the female shirt - one of which has a slot with a mesh and one of which is just an overlay over the torso. You're trying to add some sort of overlay to the head when you remove the helmet, but you have no equivalent to the female shirt overlay, you just want to remove the helmet slot. You shouldn't be calling headSlot.AddOverlay() or headSlot.RemoveOverlay() because you aren't changing the head.

28. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Thanks Eli! I got my UMA to generate wearing the helmet and by clicking the button I get to remove it. How would I re-add it? Through debugging I discovered I would remove the helmet from the slot and a "Null Slot" would exist where the helmet was (and a bunch of other null slots are also available). How would I tell my code that I want any of those "Null Slots" to now create my helmet?

I tried a number of ways. Was I on the right track with (disregard the name of the variable as I have yet to change your names):

shirtSlot = umaContext.slotLibrary.InstantiateSlot("Thracian Helmet");
    shirtSlot.AddOverlay(umaContext.overlayLibrary.InstantiateOverlay("Thracian Helmet", new Color(0.2f, 0.2f, 0.7f, 1f)));

29. BaxtardWorm

BaxtardWorm

Excuse or seen any examples of character animation but how it happens I have to have the FBX file to make animation a type jump and swim how I can create them with uma or there are other roads thanks

30. UnLogick

UnLogick

You can make them with ANY humanoid character. Unity supports retargeting.

31. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Hey @darkrurik,

Animating a character in Unity isn't something unique to UMA or different to the mainstream way of creating animations. You need to attach a component called "Animator Controller" which will allow you to work with Mecanim, it's a huge topic in itself, so I have attached a tutorial on how to accomplish animating a character in Unity. The skills you gain, you can use for UMA or ANY character you wish to.

Here is a tutorial offered by Unity, it's part 12 of 13, watch it to get an understanding of how animating in Unity works and then watch from part 1. It's designed for beginners so hopefully it will help you lots.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/bringing-your-character-to-life-in-unity

Good luck with it!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    boysenberry likes this.
  32. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

@darkrurik

To create your own animations...I am not sure but my future pipeline involves using PS4 eye + IpiSoft/Motion Builder:

http://www.renderosity.com/ipi-desktop-motion-capture-indies-got-moves-cms-16634

http://renderdigimania.com/blog/affordable-mocap-for-animators/

Or you could just purchase your animations. Props Animations are good OR download the free Mocap Library/Unity Raw Files.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5330

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19991

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10214

boysenberry likes this.
  33. BaxtardWorm

BaxtardWorm

but these libraries do I move my uma

34. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Yes, they move ANY "humanoid" character. UMA or not. Please watch Unity's tutorials for beginners on animations/animator as it will help you understand HOW to use those libraries or any you create to start moving your character about.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/animation

If you want to do animations using frame by frame method, you can use Blender a free software.

https://www.blender.org/
    https://vimeo.com/77608976
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Books/GameKit_2/10.Character_Animation

35. BaxtardWorm

BaxtardWorm

It is already the view that Quida then insert the locomotion in a position to jump and my uma jumps right excuse the stupid question but and correct

36. BaxtardWorm

BaxtardWorm

I thank you so much I finally solved hehe

37. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Locomotion is a script that just moves your character forward. You don't want that. You wanna create your own animator component onto the UMA.

Have you watched ANY video? Seriously watch Unity's videos and you will understand everything you need to.

38. ecurtz

ecurtz

Record the index when you first find it or add it and put the new slot back into that index in the array instead of using MergeSlot(). The reason it allows nulls at all is that people wanted to be able to have specific indices for various items to make it easy to keep track of.

39. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

I decided to search how the UMA was created with its overlays and slots and found what I needed in the UMAData script.

umaData.SetSlot(10, shirtSlot);

At the push of a button I was able to take the helmet off and put it back on.

I'll add to the wiki my method on how to create the item from 3ds Max (as Lane's tutorial is now outdated when it comes to the Unity side of things), to creating the slot and overlay in Unity to putting on a custom script.

Thanks guys for all your help, it took almost a week but eventually we got there lol :)

boysenberry likes this.
  40. UnLogick

UnLogick

Glad to hear you got everything working nicely.

And thanks for updating the wiki, I really appreciate it, although it's still missing the point about the UMAMaterials which is super important.

Unfortunately we broke half of your docs already with the new 2.0.1 content creation windows. The docs are still largely correct but now there is a Legacy Material Builder and a separate Slot Builder. Also we renamed some of the fields to properly match what they actually do.

41. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

42. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

I've found a bug with the way UMA saves out meshes.

I've tried repeating my method and I keep getting the below two errors.

I know it's implying that I've already creating this slot, but I haven't I've done it to 5 other slots (2 head, 1 legs, 2 wrists) and only one of my helmet worked.

I've checked the saved location in my explorer and there is no previous assets saved (other than my helmet)? I have nothing in my slots folder but my helmet, so the other 4 slots should work.

---------------------
    Couldn't add object to asset file because the Mesh 'Greek Greaves' is already an asset at 'Assets/Richards files/Armour/Legs/Greek Greaves.FBX'!
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:CreateAsset(Object, String)
    UMAEditor.UMASlotProcessingUtil:CreateSlotData(String, String, String, SkinnedMeshRenderer, UMAMaterial, SkinnedMeshRenderer) (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UMASlotProcessingUtil.cs:52)
    UMAEditor.UmaSlotBuilderWindow:CreateSlot_Internal() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:124)
    UMAEditor.UmaSlotBuilderWindow:CreateSlot() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:94)
    UMAEditor.UmaSlotBuilderWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:71)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    -------------------------

------------------------
    UnityException: Creating asset at path Assets/Richards files/Slots/Greek Greaves 2/Greek Greaves 2.asset failed.
    UMAEditor.UMASlotProcessingUtil.CreateSlotData (System.String slotFolder, System.String assetFolder, System.String assetName, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer mesh, UMA.UMAMaterial material, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer prefabMesh) (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UMASlotProcessingUtil.cs:52)
    UMAEditor.UmaSlotBuilderWindow.CreateSlot_Internal () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:124)
    UMAEditor.UmaSlotBuilderWindow.CreateSlot () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:94)
    UMAEditor.UmaSlotBuilderWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:71)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    ----------------------

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  43. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hmm, this might actually explain the data corruption I saw in the old uma 1x prefabs... looks like we need to clone a mesh somewhere.

Richardm1985 likes this.
  44. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

45. Suraia

Suraia

Hi,

I redid all my materials after I had upgraded my UMA 2 to the latest version. It seems like I am yet again one step further as when I run the program I do see white meshes being generated. I clearly need to tweak the weight paintings but it's something.

It is rather clear however that my textures aren't showing. This is the error I get now.

I think it has something to do with the atlas, as the code it's referring too is:
    atlas.material.SetTexture(slotData.asset.material.channels[j].materialPropertyName, fragment.baseTexture[j]);

Can anyone help me fix this please,
    Thanks in advance.

46. ecurtz

ecurtz

One of your overlays is missing a texture. What UMAMaterial are you using?

We're trying to add some more sanity checking in various places so you'll get a more informative error message for cases like this.

Richardm1985 and hopeful like this.
  47. Suraia

Suraia

At the moment I'm using the UMALegacy material. I haven't really played around with the new material stuff yet from Unity5 to try and make my own materials.

48. ecurtz

ecurtz

I don't like the color of that normal map for the legacy shader, but a bad normal map shouldn't be causing that error. Is it only one slot or are there multiple?

49. Suraia

Suraia

I have separated the mesh for future variation so it's multiple slots.

50. ecurtz

ecurtz

I'd say it's time for some good old fashioned Debug.Log() action to figure out which slot it doesn't like. PM me if you want some advice about where to start. Once we know what it's unhappy about we can detect it in the future and put up a useful error message.