Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello,

So how does this work with, daz 3d?

2. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not sure if anyone is using it with DAZ, but I suppose importing and UMA-fying a DAZ model would be like creating a new race.

3. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

4. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Yea thats not working in needs to be able to work with morphs.....

5. ecurtz

ecurtz

If you need DAZ characters there are assets in the store for doing that, but UMA works differently.

6. Ironwolf21

Ironwolf21

7. UnLogick

UnLogick

Stop looking at the abandoned beta site and look at the UMA wiki.
    http://uma.unity3d.com

8. hopeful

hopeful

Say, UnLogick, any progress lately on your UMA projects?

9. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

It's possible to use my own materials with uma? And if it's possible, how correct use my textures and shaders. Especially normal bummap (with import type Normal).

10. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Hey Fernando or maybe someoneelse knows an answer,

i created a MaleCapSlot like described in the Slot-Tut. Now my problem is that the Cap is much smaler than displayed in blender. Do i have to change export-settongs or what is the problem?

11. UnLogick

UnLogick

I've been on vacation and moving to a new apartment so naturally stuff slowed down. But I'm picking up the pace now, I decided to add some nice eye candy to the Power Rigger but that should still hit the store "soon (tm)".

To use your own shaders/materials, set the SlotData.materialSample to a material with the right shader and static variables. Set the SlotData.textureNameList to the textures that you want the overlays to control. Make sure the overlays have the same number of textures as the textureNameList, setting an overlay texture to null is allowed on all but overlay 0 (base texture)

12. vlames

vlames

yeah, I've done it before with a toon material, if you click on a slot asset you can see the material being used

13. vlames

vlames

if you click on the fbx you can change the scale factor, it's probably on 0.01

14. MarcoMeter

MarcoMeter

Hey guys,

did someone try the Speecher package 3.0.1 for lip sync?

Developer's video showing Speecher with UMA

I don't like the result shown in this video. Could anybody share his or her opinion for using Speecher with UMA?

15. UnLogick

UnLogick

I agree it doesn't look very good. I think the devs should try to add a smoothed curve on top of the output from Speecher, it looks way too noisy and jittery.

This is not an UMA problem, it's an audio to lip motion calibration issue.

16. MarcoMeter

MarcoMeter

I might consider to get Speecher. Would someone recommend another package or approach for lip synchronisation?

17. UnLogick

UnLogick

New tutorial on content creation targeted specifically at new props for the existing base meshes

hopeful likes this.
  18. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Thx. That was the problem. But now i have another problem. In Blender the downside of the cap is displayed, but in Unity u cant see it anymore.

In Blender: Capproblem Blender.jpg

In Unity:
    Capproblem Unity.jpg

The normals are set in the right way. Maybe its a problem with the UMA-Shader?
    I´ve set the color in the RandomSet as random black to white, to have variations. A texture or overlay isnt set yet.

19. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

I want to make an briefcaseslot next. Therefore i got to bind that case to an handjoint in blender. Is it able to export the right positioned Rig + Slot (Case), while the bones position is differing to the standard t-pose or is that pose an requirement for teh slots to work?

20. UnLogick

UnLogick

In Blender and most other 3D tools each triangle is rendered on both sides, but this essentially cost more, so Unity and other optimized game engines only render one side of each triangle. Flipping the triangle in blender and reexporting is the fastest way to solve this.

21. vlames

vlames

go in to blender and select the faces that are invisible in unity, then press W and then F (or click flip face or something). as far as the briefcase goes, I would just drag it into the handbone but I don't think that answers your question

22. Cloud Weaver

Cloud Weaver

Hi, I have been creating a lot of clothing models is marvelous designer, exporting them as .obj, importing them to blender, adding an armature modifier to the clothing mesh, transferring the weights from the unified mesh to the clothing mesh, then exporting as .fbx to Unity. Inside unity I am changing the import settings on the fbx for the scale and selecting to not import materials.

The texture for the clothing mesh was created with a UV unwrap and bake inside blender. All other materials were then removed and a new one with the UV as the texture was created. It maps correctly in blender and Unity when materials are imported with it.

The problem appears to be that mesh for the slot is never generated properly using the material builder in UMA, so the overlay is just applied to to the uma base mesh. Does anyone have any insight as to why this is happening? The clothing mesh that is incorrectly generated is the "shape" I've shown in the Assets>Slots>Shape in the image below.

UMA_Help.jpg

Edit:
    I appear to have it generating the mesh for the slot now, but the overlay is still applied of the UMA base mesh and the clothing mesh is still not visible. In the second image I also tested the location/rotation of the clothing mesh with the UMA base, both at location/rotation 0,0,0

UMA_Help02.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  23. Cloud Weaver

Cloud Weaver

As far as I know you must export your model + rig from blender with the skeleton in its original position. A quote from the UMA wiki says "it's fine to move and scale the UMA skeleton rig to allow you to paint vertex weights. But before you export you must return the skeleton to it's original position and orientation!."

For your application it seems that creating an animation or using an inverse kinematics solution might be better for positioning a hand+briefcase.

24. goat

goat

Good job on the cap.

25. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

I found strange behavior of rendering UMA avatar. In editor all is fine, but in build rendering is wrong. I try all combinations of RenderingPath and ColorSpace and result always the same. I try default BumpedSpecular and skin shader from here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gritty-realistic-skin-shader.131626/. With BumpedSpecular avatar looks like no bump on it. With skin shader result is here:
    Editor Build

The only difference between editor and build I found on tangents of model. Here comparison screenshots with debugTangents shader.
    Here is editor screenshot with

and build screenshot

Please help

26. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Hey Cloud Weaver ur work looks very nice. Is it able that u share ur slots with us? I´ll share my accessoires with u too. So we´ll have a great variety of clothing.

Ur problem:
    It looks like if the mesh of ur overall is too small, so i would try to make it bigger in blender or don´t us the torsoSlot in Unity. I had that same problem with the cap and made it bigger -> then it worked.

27. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Do you have the same problem when using the UMA standard shaders?
    Unity usually handle Unpacking the normals in different ways depending if you´re building for mobile. UMA shaders force the same standard Unpacking proccess, to guarantee the additional channels on normal maps are not lost.
    From the first images, it also looks like yo´re not providing the correct textures/channels for those other shaders you´re working with, resulting on the incorrect light calculation.

28. Cloud Weaver

Cloud Weaver

I've figured out most of my problem(s). The mesh generation errors were due to not applying the location/rotation/scale in blender. Second issue was that my not-so-great script was only applying the overlay to the avatar and I never included the slotdata so the mesh it was meant for wasn't included. I'll have questions on this later, but for testing now I'm just editing uma data at runtime manually (adding the slot and overlay) and saving the data for serialized characters.

That mesh was a single-faced shirt mesh made in ~5 minutes for testing my issue. It is high poly, all triangles, and a general mess. The other clothing I am modeling is for someone's project where I don't know my permissions to share it atm. Most/all of it is wwi-interwar military themed and I don't know how useful it would be for general projects. I can ask, and I also have some side project meshes I can convert. I work mostly from real life sewing patterns, so if you have anything you'd like me to make for the community, including a sewing pattern would make things easier

To give you an idea of what I generally make: here are some current meshes in marvelous designer: M36 Field blouse, m43 cfield cap, 60th rifles pre-1908 jacket. UMA assets.jpg
    On a side note:The female base mesh's...assets are a little problematic for modeling male-patterned military uniforms without adding some serious cuts and/or darts to the pattern. The cloth like to kinda just hang there otherwise unless belted.

ecurtz and hopeful like this.
  29. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

Yes, with default UMA shader the same problem. I make buil for PC.

30. Stickworm

Stickworm

Hi all I appreciate this is a tread about UMA specifically and not the other accompanying plugins but I thought you might have some insight and I'm not getting responses from the other publishers.

If I run the UMA demo scenes themselves they seem fine.

If I run the DEMO scene in the UMA Helper pack I'm spammed with: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

If I run UMA Wizard initially things seem fine but then when I try to return to a character I've created in the case of the female only the hair meshes remain, and in the case of the troll only the legs remain the others have vanished. If I try to add my own mesh, I get xml errors and have to reinport the Wizard package to get it to run again.

I'm up for trying other plugins but I don't want to keep buying them if they're not going to work. Ideally I'd not use plugins at all but I'm finding out how UMA actually works to be slow going presently.

Does anyone have any clue why I'm running into these issues?

Cheers

31. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe when Unity 4.6 comes out a more fully featured in-game character editor can be added to the basic UMA code.

32. Cloud Weaver

Cloud Weaver

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    This means you are most likely missing the slot data or overlay data, in the slot and overlay libraries respectively, for something you are trying to add to the UMA at runtime. They aren't defined so they can't be generated.

To add these, click under UMA>OverlayLibray in your scene's hierarchy. Click the little circles next to the empty overlays (they say 'None (OverlayData)' and unity will find all potential overlay data for you to use. Add all the ones you want to use (probably all of them) to separate little box/field thingies, then hit the 'update list' button. Go to UMA>SlotLIbrary and do the same thing with slot data. Picture below for reference:

how_to_library.jpg

I think this has something to do with the overlay and slot 'dictionaries' that are compiled in the .dlls. These might be out of date? with the way the slots and overlays have been renamed since the beta/whenever. The data(s) are no longer automatically populated into the overlay and slot libraries as a result. This part is just a guess and someone more UMA-savvy should answer it.

33. Cloud Weaver

Cloud Weaver

Also, I have been messing around modelling some general-purpose clothing for uma avatars. Right now I think I'm going to do a mesh hoodie/jumper, mesh pair of jeans, and overlays for the feet for a pair of socks. I'd make these available under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) and post them here or in a separate thread. I'll probably include a high and low poly .obj, a low poly .fbx UV and normal mapped, and the slot/overlay assets for each of these. At the least I'll give low and high poly .obj fitted to the UMA base mesh. I'd really like to get some better prototyping assets out there to use with UMA beyond the old ones that come with UMA.

Pictured "Vidya Gaems/Vivian James" hoodie/jumper I'm working on. The UV mapping is giving me a headache atm though. Vivian_James_hoodie_WIP.jpg

As an addition to that I was wondering is anyone wants to work on a sorta of unofficial 'extra free assets' pack for UMA to expand the default free clothing options. If you're worried about commercial use/abuse you could just (CC BY-NC 4.0) it.

FernandoRibeiro, UnLogick and hopeful like this.
  34. Stickworm

Stickworm

Hey Cloud Weaver thanks for your reply you were quite right. UMA Wizard still seems totally broken but the helper pack works now which is great. Much appreciated.

35. UnLogick

UnLogick

Then this is exactly the right place to bring it up! This thread is being watched by many active UMA users including Fernando and me.

The UMA Steering Group have the power to remove UMA assets from the asset store if they're no longer being kept up to date. We have not exercised this power yet but expect that it will eventually become necessary.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  36. UnLogick

UnLogick

Sounds really good man, I hope some more people get into this. Pm me with your skype id and I'll contribute UMA tech support.

I'm in the process of writing the Content Publishing Guidelines, they're not final or approved yet but they'll give you a clue to what you expect. Some stuff about Folder structure and other technicalities.
    http://uma.unity3d.com/wiki/index.php/Content_Publishing_Guidelines

A note about license is that the asset store only supports one license (that does not allow Attribution or NonCommercial!). So while I acknowledge the fear of commercial exploitation your license will prevent your content from coming to the asset store. The asset store have one license to keep it simple: if you got it off the asset store then it's always free to use for commercial purposes without attribution!

Also keep in mind that as soon as you make it NonCommercial and people start to contribute there is no real turning back! In theory you can go back and find all contributors and have them recontribute their contribution under another license but it's practically impossible. And you've cut off the majority of the UMA community, the people I talk to is certainly primarily making commercial applications, and making it NC makes it only useful for previews and demos. I know it's a turn off but you should consider going for CC BY or CC BY-SA, this will still keep you off the asset store but it will allow the entire community to use your work, and you'll get credit rather than money.

Regardless of what you choose for licensing you have my full support!

hopeful likes this.
  37. adventurefan

adventurefan

I wouldn't worry since over-accessorizing is pretty standard for game characters.

http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/assassinpirate.jpg

:D

Anyway I might be working on new UMA content this week.

Depends if I don't have any other work. I'll keep you guys posted soon.

38. ecurtz

ecurtz

It would be fantastic to see more collaboration on the artistic/asset side since most of the core group so far is developers (except for Fernando, who seems to do everything). I did try Marvelous Designer a bit, without making much headway. I've attached an avatar for the UMA female with alignment points, but somebody who knows the program might be able to do a better version in a few minutes.

Attached Files:

39. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

hopeful likes this.
  40. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    To be sincere, I would recommend you to sell the assets =) You´re doing high quality content, that´s exactly what the community needs.

41. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

Yes, with default UMA shader the same problem. I make buil for PC.
    Can anybody help?

42. hopeful

hopeful

The UMA community does need more clothing options, and selling is certainly one way to go about it, but maybe there's more than one approach.

Perhaps there could be an "UMA Community Closet" asset in the store that has a free collection of UMA-compatible clothing (overlays, slots, races, accessories, whatever). The idea with the community closet is that those who download the collection would be encouraged to "pay it forward" by donating one or more of their own UMA clothing items to the closet.

43. Centripetal

Centripetal

I am trying to create my on base model for UMA. I followed the race tutorial video as much as possible however I'm still getting an error in the altered version of HumanFemaleDNAConverterBehaviour (CustomFemaleDNAConverterBehavior) at line 753 where it cannot find the "Global" bone using UMASkeleton.StringToHash("Global"). I used the UMA skeleton found in the blender file in the Content pack. I assigned the skeleton to the mesh and it does animate in Unity using Mecanim system. I assigned all the animation bones in the UMAData component, and assigned the root to the UMA Root field. I also ran the UMAProcessBones.dll on the UMAData component to populate the tempBoneData with no errors. I visibly see the bone named "Global" in the hierarchy window. Any suggestions on why it cannot find the Global bone? I appreciate any suggestions.

44. Stickworm

Stickworm

Hi

I've had a go at converting some old models over to work with UMA, I've adjusted the mesh so that it fits the base mesh and brought it in, only issue is that it doesn't fit the base mesh perfectly so that on generation the skin shows through. How would you go about deactivating the skin mesh when this slot is active? I guess the same thing would be needed with clothing which would normal alter the body shape, like with a corset you'd still want to be able to effect it's shape with the sliders but the underlying body curve would also be different.

45. ecurtz

ecurtz

Removing hidden geometry is not currently supported, but is "on the roadmap". Everyone agrees it would be nice, but as far as I know nobody has committed to doing the code.

46. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

What you can do is to remove slots that would be occluded, and even separate body parts in more pieces, so you can have more combinations.
    Take a look on the male Jeans, when avatar is wearing it, usually the legs slot is not included.

47. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

What version of Unity are you using?
    Do you have Unity PRO?
    The same problem happens on a clean UMA project, on UMACrowd scene?

48. Hard target

Hard target

What is the difference between pro features for uma and basic features?

49. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Using PRO, we can take advantage of RenderTextures to generate the atlas, there´s a huge performance gain in this case.

50. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

Unity PRO 4.5.1f3
    Yes, on clean UMA project the same problem. I'm using UMA 1.2.1