Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Archania

Archania

i have the uma helper pack and the power tools already. But thanks, will see what damage I can do with creating the interface and all. But if they would help streamline it, all the better.

2. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Please take a look on manual pdf and the video tutorials for an in depth explanation of those topics.
    Considering performance you´re getting with 50 avatars, I would try reducing the atlas size by half, it´s more probable that you´re reaching the memory usage limit than polycount limitation.
    About aditional content, all available UMA assets are listed here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/uma
    Cheers

3. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

You can both follow the UMA werewolf race video tutorials if you plan having an entire new race or create an Slot that uses the base rig + additional bones. I didn´t tested this feature for a long time now, but It should work on both AssetStore and Git versions of UMA.

4. hopeful

hopeful

When will the store version of UMA get updated, by the way? Just curious, as if I remember correctly, it was going to get updated to 1.2 in May. Is there something that still needs to be done with the Git version first?

5. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

All AssetStore UMA uploads so far had been made by Joen (UnLogick) but he is super busy, so I´ll probably take responsibility for the following updates.
    I got back from a two weeks travel and was organizing myself and work but I´ll start a count down to the update on following days.
    We usually give one week before updating so that other devs with content on AssetStore can work on their own updates if required.
    If anyone have bug reports from what we have on GIT let me know, I´ll also consider including the functionality to swap the DLL with source code provided by @cyby89.

Cheers,
    Fernando R.

6. hopeful

hopeful

Sounds great! Having the full source code available sounds so much more secure in terms of investing in an UMA work flow.

Maybe the straight source can be kept on Git in the future, and if Unity still prefers the DLL it could be processed that way for the asset store?

7. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

The problem on changing the default from DLL is that there are projects already under development that depends on the DLL structure and not everyone would be willing to migrate to full source code.

8. Teh_Creatorer

Teh_Creatorer

Hello

Thank you for answering, but unfortunately it didn’t resolve the issue.

I have tried following the werewolf race tutorial to the letter at least five times with poor results. In two parts I can’t follow exactly was the rig importing due to different bone structure. I followed the tutorial and I encountered the error I had earlier when trying to create slot:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: key

System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Transform].TryGetValue (UnityEngine.Transform key, UnityEngine.Transform& value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:588)

UMA.SkinnedMeshAligner.RecursiveFindBoneInHierarchy (UnityEngine.Transform bone, UnityEngine.Transform hierarchyRoot, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 boneMap)

UMA.SkinnedMeshAligner.RecursiveFindBoneInHierarchy (UnityEngine.Transform bone, UnityEngine.Transform hierarchyRoot, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 boneMap)

UMA.SkinnedMeshAligner.FindBoneIndexInHierarchy (UnityEngine.Transform bone, UnityEngine.Transform hierarchyRoot, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 boneMap, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 boneIndexes)

UMA.SkinnedMeshAligner.AlignBindPose (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer template, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer data)

UMAEditor.UMATextureImporterUtil.CreateSlotData (System.String slotFolder, System.String assetFolder, System.String assetName, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer mesh, UnityEngine.Material material, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer prefabMesh)

UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow.CreateSlot_Internal ()

UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow.CreateSlot ()

UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow.OnGUI ()

System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

In Unity console, the error is proceeded by:

“Processing...

UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)

UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow:OnGUI()

UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()”

“Slot Mesh: Dress_Sofia_SC_Whole

UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object, Object)

UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow:CreateSlot_Internal()

UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow:CreateSlot()

UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow:OnGUI()

UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()”

I liked the tutorial, but it is missing one thing in my opinion. It does not explain how to import custom rigs that don’t follow Humanoid rig to the letter. Werewolf has different bone placement, but essentially it uses same skeleton as UMA male. Our Idea is to use UMA female as base and add bones to it to simulate dress and long hair. Basic UMA Female rigging did not produce good looking results.

How I did the race:

I rigged extra bones to female rig from the hips. I also used IK for the dress bones and also added IK to hands and legs. I have tried the tutorial by importing the rig with Humanoid and Generic rigging in Unity. I also tried making avatar mask to include all the bones, but I suppose that has nothing to do with this issue. When I imported the rig with humanoid settings I checked the configuration. It showed the extra bones in listing and when selected, their location with gismo. Unfortunately the bones themselves weren’t visible in the main window.

I used process bones script and it seemed to recognize the additional bones. When processing the animated bones I added the list size by 20 due to dress and IK bones. I dragged and dropped the bones to the list.

Then I followed the tutorial up to the moment of creating slots. Then the fore mentioned error occurred.

If anyone has advice how to make this work, I would be happy.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  9. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Just to be sure, you plan on animating manually the extra bones, or use physics simulation on them?
    Joen tested including wings with a lot of extra bones, and managed to get them animated, so both are possible.
    As soon I have some free time, I´ll try including an separated tail slot for werewolf with additional bones, I´ll post the results here as soon it´s done.

10. Teh_Creatorer

Teh_Creatorer

Hello Fernando

I’m trying to manually animate the bones in blender and importing the animations. Problem is the slot creation. To best of my knowledge I’m following the tutorial. I’m not sure that I'm importing the rig correctly. The animations aren't the issue, because I've already tested to import alternative animations for default female rig.

Thank you for taking the time to look in to this issue. You can probably see that I'm new in to this. I'm more of a 3d modeler than a programmer.

11. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

Hello Fernando!
    Whole character now packed into atlas, including clothes. It's not good for me, because clothes must have different material/shader on it. It is possible to turn off atlasing for some/all clothes?

Edit: Find in wiki
    "When a UMA character is being built all the meshes are evaluated, those which share shaders will be merged into a single sub mesh "
    I try to assing to MaleJeans (in demo) different material with different shader (Bumped Specular). It create separate submesh, but normal map not assigned to material.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  12. DavidGe

DavidGe

Hello Fernando!
    I just finished your Werewolf tutorial for making new races. I just started to make one from my tree like race. (In my game I have 9 races) so I still have a lot of work to do. Most are based on humanoid models. But what I not really get, is it also possible to create UMA races for non humanoid models to? And when possible, will there be a tutorial about that to? Or can you point me in the direction what to do and how to start one?

I think UMA is really cool! It has solved my problem for making players models customized.

Keep up the good work, and TY for this wonderful product.
    David

13. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there! UMA shaders require some specific changes, please take a look on manual and on the example provided shaders.

14. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there David!
    Right now UMA is limited to humanoid avatars. Joen managed to implement an integration with Mecanim generic rig (GIT version already include those changes), that makes it possible to work with different rig structures but I probably won´t be able to study that any time soon and as there´s no documentation on that area, it will require extra time to understand how it works and the pipeline required.

15. amayyudan

amayyudan

Hi hopeful,
    Thanks for the advice, but Mega-Fiers is not free of charge, and I would like to rely exclusively on free assets in Unity 3D while developing the game. Practically, UMA contains all functionality that I need, and non-standard functionality/extensions can be added relatively easily (I think the implementation of the werewolf race is a good
    example). From my point of view, 2 extensions of the original UMA functionality should be implemented:

1. Self-deformation of soft body parts: this could be achieved by using the Cloth functionality for the bones(?) of the soft body parts. The calculation of the deformation should take place before the calculation of the final skin mesh in each frame.
    2. Deformation of the soft body parts by external forces: In my opinion, the OnCollision event should trigger the following procedure: at first, analysis of the skin mesh which part of it is affected by the external force (e.g. another UMA avatar or another limb of the own avatar). If the "intersection point" belongs to a soft body part under the skin, then its deformation should be calculated and then the recalculation of the skin mesh should take place.

From a programmer's point of view, none of the above tasks seem too problematic (although I don't know yet the code background very well - a confirmation from an experienced Unity 3D and UMA user would be great).

16. hopeful

hopeful

Well ... that sounds like quite the project to me ... definitely beyond my abilities! If you ever get it working, please submit your solution to the UMA group so it can be added to the community resources.

I don't know if this would work, but you might be able to replace body parts in the UMA model with skinned meshes that have embedded regions of springy reactivity. Like on the torso, there might be an additional "flex" mesh under the abdomen and breast area (but not ribs, back, or shoulders) in addition to any "jiggle" bone. Aside from better simulating female anatomy, a flex mesh approach could also more realistically render an overweight person, or possibly athletic muscle movement on the buttocks, thigh and upper arm. It might even help with facial expressions and deformation of anatomy as a person is struck with a physics force (like a punch to the jaw).

Probably you'd want to take an approach like Dynamic Bone, and have the elasticity apply to the flex mesh bones.

Having skinned meshes that can elastically deform according to physics forces sounds wonderful. :)

17. DavidGe

DavidGe

I think your tutorial is OK Fernando, but wood it not be better to have a good step by step written tutorial? On some point in time, tutorials became video. I believe that is a good extra. But a written tutorial is a lot more easy to follow. Most parts and steps done in the tutorial I had to rewind up to 5 times just to see what you where doing. I even had to restart a few times.
    At the moment I am writing every step down, in order to get a more easy way of doing it. Maybe I am not the only one who find video tutorials difficult to follow?

David

Teila likes this.
  18. daeuk

daeuk

how do i change(or remove) the locomotion script added (automatically) on the generated character?
    i wanted to use my own controller.

19. Steinwolfe

Steinwolfe

Fernando, firstly thanks to you, and Joen for superb work! This is so excellent. And thanks to Caitlyn too for supporting.

One question - sorry if this is already addressed elsewhere but many pages of different threads. Is there somewhere that explains the technical side (at least an overview) of the code?

For example - I wonder how you manage the scaling (I understand from the videos that some bones are used for scaling, some for posing, etc) but how is this managed within the code? Seems conceptually very clever.

20. hopeful

hopeful

Some of the oldest UMA Youtube videos show off a bit of the code. I'm not sure specifically what you are looking for or where it might show up in the series, but probably all of this will be to some degree instructive.

Steinwolfe likes this.
  21. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Take a look here, at ~5:10

22. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey =)
    Please take a look here, at ~7:30, in this case I´m working on the werewolf tutorial, but the concept applies for the male/female.

Steinwolfe likes this.
  23. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I actually played with dynamic bones for quite a while, back the first days working with UMA. I don´t personally recommend SkinnedMeshCloth or cloth for what you need.
    Take a look on the jiggleBone script included on the project, this script was written by:

// Name: Jiggle Bone v.1.0
    // Author: Michael Cook (Fishypants)
    // Date: 9-25-2011
    // License: Free to use. Any credit would be nice :)

Cheers

24. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Btw guys. this weekend I´ll be uploading the UMA Git version to the AssetStore. The only change I might be able to do to the source code until then is including @cyby89 replace Uma.dll with source code solution.

Edit: I won´t be able to use the Unity 4.5 FindAssets() as we still wan´t to keep UMA as 4.3.1, I´ll be able to include his RenderTexture Fix in the following days.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    hopeful likes this.
  25. Steinwolfe

Steinwolfe

Thank you both! Very useful. I begin to understand o_O

26. Alk Studios

Alk Studios

Hello all,
    Today we have released a character creator plugin for unity based on UMA.

More information can be found on our thread Here.

27. dred

dred

Hello, I have a same question, and I look this video few times and don't see\heard answer. Can you please create a simple, step-by-step instructions how can I remove\add scripts\components to automatically added on the generated character? Thanks!

28. daeuk

daeuk

hi dred,

i was able to find it in the prefab named uma_human_male if i remember correctly.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    dred likes this.
  29. dred

dred

Oh, Thanks!!! You save my time!

30. vlames

vlames

hey, so I was trying to make a really basic custom slot but when I use the MaterialBuilder like in the video I get this error
    ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name: key
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Transform].TryGetValue (UnityEngine.Transform key, UnityEngine.Transform& value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:588)
    UMA.SkinnedMeshAligner.FindBoneIndexInHierarchy (UnityEngine.Transform bone, UnityEngine.Transform hierarchyRoot, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 boneMap, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 boneIndexes)
    UMA.SkinnedMeshAligner.AlignBindPose (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer template, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer data)
    UMAEditor.UMATextureImporterUtil.CreateSlotData (System.String slotFolder, System.String assetFolder, System.String assetName, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer mesh, UnityEngine.Material material, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer prefabMesh)
    UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow.CreateSlot_Internal ()
    UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow.CreateSlot ()
    UMAEditor.UmaTexturePrepareWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

I think it is because the slotmesh is a child of the rig but if I don't do this it wo'nt be a skinned mesh and I cant put it in the slot mesh skinnedmeshrenderer

I also have no idea what that errormessage says so a reply would be great

thanks

31. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Are you using the armature modifier on the mesh, when working on blender?
    Cheers

32. vlames

vlames

I don't know but it works now, thanks :D

33. vlames

vlames

Ok so appearently I didnt fix it, it just magically worked so I still have the same problem. This is what I do:

I select the ring, I add the armature modifier, choose the male armature, paint the weights, select both the armature and the ring in object mode, select export to FBX and click export selected and uncheck baked animation (im using blender 2.71) when I put it into unity and select the ring object, it says that its a normal mesh renderer not a skinned mesh renderer so I cant use it

Does anyone see what im doing wrong, it only becomes a skinned mesh renderer when i set the ringobject to be a child of the armature but then I get an error message when i try to make a slot out of it

Thanks

34. tomi-trescak

tomi-trescak

Hello! Does anyone know of any Unity system compatible with UMA that can make my characters talk? Thanks!

35. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Keep an eye on what ecurtz is doing, here´s his post:

36. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

btw, UMA 1.2 is already available at AssetStore :D
    I plan uploading a new version in the next two weeks with some extra adjusts, but wanted to keep my promise of getting it uploaded this weekend.
    Cheers

37. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I´ve also had some time to work on infinite realities´ Aphrodite scan, here´s a fast preview of it integrated with UMA base mesh and rendered in zbrush.
    Both feet and hands data were not 100% so I had to fallback to traditional sculpting and texturing in those areas. I´ll probably just be able to work on it again next weekend.

hopeful likes this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

Already downloaded, thanks! :)

39. jzela

jzela

Great news, Thanks!

40. ecurtz

ecurtz

There are a couple of very minor bugs in the 1.2 version that prevent you from building for Mac/PC standalone (and probably other targets.)

I'll try to get Fernando or Joen to update the store version, but the fixes are simple.

PowerToolsIntergration.cs needs #if UNITY_EDITOR <original code goes here> #endif around
    using UnityEditor
    and
    go.transform.position = SceneView.lastActiveSceneView.pivot - newVector3(0,1,0);

UMAAssetCollection.cs line 49 should be
    #if UNITY_EDITOR
    rather than
    #if !UNITY_EDITOR

41. Archania

Archania

Thanks for the info.

42. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Thanks a lot Eli!
    I´m uploading the changes you´ve made right away!
    Sorry for those bugs guys! We´ve been using the Git version for a couple months and in consequence I didn´t worried testing the build as well.

43. divas1980

divas1980

hi , i m new for this nice tool.

I created a new race and following the video tutorials have come to the setting of the slots and overlays.
    I put the overlay only on his arms to try. But when I click play I always comes out this message:

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary `2 [UnityEngine.Transform, UnityEngine.Transform]. Add (UnityEngine.Transform key, UnityEngine.Transform value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBase.SkeletonModifier (UMA.UMAData umaData, UnityEngine.SkeletonBone [] & bones)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBase.CreateHumanDescription (UMA.UMAData umaData, UMA.UmaTPose umaTPose)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBase.CreateAvatar (UMA.UMAData umaData, UMA.UmaTPose umaTPose)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBase.CreateAnimator (UMA.UMAData umaData, UMA.UmaTPose umaTPose, UnityEngine.RuntimeAnimatorController controller, applyRootMotion Boolean, Boolean animatePhysics, AnimatorCullingMode cullingMode)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBase.UpdateAvatar (UMA.UMAData umaData)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.UpdateUMABody (UMA.UMAData umaData)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.HandleDirtyUpdate (UMA.UMAData date)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate ()
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Update ()

What do you mean?

i add two image with my setup e my procedure if there is any error...

tk to all!

img2.jpg img1.jpg

44. ecurtz

ecurtz

My guess from that error is that you have two bones in your rig with the same name, e.g. both upper arm bones are named "UpperArm" rather than "UpperArm_L" and "UpperArm_R" that wouldn't matter for the TPose but would break avatar generation.

45. hopeful

hopeful

46. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

great news =)

47. Jake-The-Dog

Jake-The-Dog

how to change color of skin and eyes directly on character(like height, head size and else)?

48. divas1980

divas1980

tk for the reply!

I had forgotten to set the bones nell'UmaData (script) in the prefab. Now it seems to work, I say seems because when I start it freeze unity without leaving any message.

When I open the project, I have to set always the prefab in the race panel (UMA Race)

What can it be?

49. hopeful

hopeful

There are several solutions for this. One is to download the free asset called UMA Helper. Assuming it still works (with the new version of UMA), you should be able to make these changes and perhaps see how it is done in code.

50. Jake-The-Dog

Jake-The-Dog

i need color change be avalible inside scene, not just before start scene.
    it didn't helped.(

vlames likes this.