Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. kat97

kat97

Hello Jaimi, thank you for replying,
    When saying "prefab maker" do you mean this https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/prefab-maker-42929? If so I afraid it will not work as I use Unity 2021.3.11.
    1) I created the UMA and made a prefab, then I used the "convert to FBX prefab variant" but all I got is the result in the image below in which the texture and all the details are missed.
    upload_2024-2-2_13-14-39.png
    2) I also used the Unity FBX exporter to the game object and I got the avatar but all the customizations (height, leg length etc.) and material (eg clothes colors, skin color) are missed as well as shown in the image below:
    upload_2024-2-2_13-10-47.png
    Thank you for your help!

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, that is all UMA 1.X stuff, I haven't looked at that in ages. You can't call ApplyDNA before the character has done several things, but I don't think you need to anyway, that automatically happens during the build process.

So the main thing is why isn't the DNA applying... Does it work if you adjust the DNA in the UMAData at runtime?

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

On the UMA menu, there is a prefab maker, that allows you to generate a non-UMA prefab that you can then convert to an FBX. Is it perfect? Not really. But it does generate a skinned FBX that might take some finagling to get correct in Blender.

4. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I guess
    Hi Jaimi,

I think I'll have to use the newer classes now. Should I use the "DynamicCharacterAvatar" then? There a so many examples...

I want to set race by script, DNA (values) by script and then maybe in some cases an elf ear slot and of course cloth slot and overlays. And the DNA sliders are of course very nice.
    Or what component and what sample would you recommend? Thanks and have a nice weekend!

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah - DynamicCharacterAvatar is the easiest to use. It lets you setup the wardrobe, and then define the wardrobe items the player wears and manages all that for you. All of WillB's stuff should be setup for that.

To start - look at all the "How to" scenes. For example, "How to load and save a DCA to a string" and "How to use a slider to control DNA".

hopeful and Firlefanz73 like this.
  6. Radivarig

Radivarig

@Jaimi would you convert the discord server to community and generate a permanent link please?

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

No problem - it's already a community server. :)

The UMA About Box has a permanent link also: https://discord.com/invite/KdteVKd

Did I miss one somewhere?

Radivarig likes this.
  8. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

I am having a problem setting an AnimationController in the animator my my prefab that's working with DynamicCharckterAvatar.

If I set it via script it seems to be ignored.

Animator.runtimeAnimatorController = AnimatorControllerJump;

If I set it in editor to the existing ones I get an error message:
    upload_2024-2-11_18-3-20.png

If I set it in editor but in the "Default Animation Controller" above, then it works, but I do need
    at least two different animation controllers, maybe more.

How do I set it or where do I need to "allow" it? Latest UMA the "UMA-Feature 13" latest GitHub branch, Unity 20232.9.

Thanks a lot :)

9. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Solved! Got it working by clicking that warning button, then removing that default anim controller, now I can set via script :)

Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  10. kat97

kat97

Hello again, I managed to save the fbx using the UMA prefab maker and the Unity FBXExporter. Now I come up with two questions:
    1. The exported fbx has all the materials clothes, colors etc, but I am still missing the changes made in UMA Data script when I import it in Blender. At first it looks like image 1, when I delete the bones it looks like image 2. Is there a way to solve this? (When I import the fbx in Unity it usually keeps the UMA Data changes) upload_2024-2-14_16-25-48.png upload_2024-2-14_16-28-4.png
    2. I want to save the character via script when a save button is clicked, so that the players will have the ability to customize their characters and save them locally (fbx) to their pcs. I managed to do it on Unity game mode (convert the uma to a prefab and then save the prefab as fbx ), but when I am building the game it ends up with this error [The type or namespace name 'Editors' does not exist in the namespace 'UMA' (are you missing an assembly reference?)] and the game cannot be built. Is there a way to solve this?
    Thank you in advance

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

1. You might try doing the following. Turning OFF the "runtime DNA" in the prefab maker. and also setting up the import parameters to look like the export parameters. The Mesh shape is modified by all the boneposes and bone DNA, so what you are seeing is the character without modifications. You need to get the rig working to see it correctly.
    2. Sorry - Editors namespace is only available in the editor. This is not a runtime function.

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hey All - just wanted to post some progress on this thread. Here is the new customization sample coming with the next UMA update. It's all configurable - use your own prefabs, setup your own set of starter clothes, setup the colors you want, etc. This is still using the older meshes, but with the new shaders and some temporary textures. This is all work in progress, so you know what that means (will change, might not work), but you can get it on the Feature-13 branch with all the latest code. Or you can test the webgl version on my site (warning: slow) here: www.aztica.com/uma

Attached Files:

Lurking-Ninja, kat97, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  13. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hey Jaimi,

will test it in a few days, thanks for the info and all the work :)

Jaimi likes this.
  14. Teila

Teila

I have to ask this again, will the clothes we already have from will or custom ones work with the new UMA?

15. Teila

Teila

I have to ask this again, will the clothes we already have from will or custom ones work with the new UMA?
    I would be happy to contribute, but I have to make sure the models are not so changed that my models for my game or the asset store will still work. I understand minor changes. I have hundreds of clothing pieces made by my team.

16. Jaimi

Jaimi

The character above is the old character. He will be getting new overlays to make him nicer looking. The older characters will remain in UMA.
    The new characters use the same rig, but have different geometry. The majority of clothing will work as-is with them. The only thing that might be an issue would be any overlays that are applied directly to the body (not certain at this time). I am considering changing the UV layout for the character so it has more texture space for the face (something DOS suggested years ago, and I foolishly didn't do).
    Since the new character has different geometry, any "Mesh Hide Assets" for the new character would need to be recreated. There is an export option in the current system that allows to export occlusion to a texture, and then import that. I plan on automating that process for the new characters (find an old one, export the occlusion, generate a new Mesh Hide Asset) and doing this automatically.

hopeful, Firlefanz73 and Teila like this.
  17. Teila

Teila

Thanks Jamie! The hippies were so worried. lol

Anyway, I will send something to the fund as soon as I can. Thank you.

Jaimi likes this.
  18. Jaimi

Jaimi

I appreciate it, but it's not mandatory so don't worry about it.

Here's a peek at the work in progress of the new character heads:

wip.png

Lurking-Ninja and Firlefanz73 like this.
  19. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Looks very good :)

Jaimi likes this.
  20. hopeful

hopeful

Is this an opportunity to go for a unisex race model that can be adjusted with a checkbox to be male or female? It would be helpful to fit slots to one model and have it capable of applying to both.

We could use wardrobe rules to differentiate which slots go together.

BTW, it wouldn't need to be a forced thing. You could still have separate races for male and female and it would still work, so there would be backward compatibility.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  21. Generalreb

Generalreb

Hello,

When I add a bunch of races to a recipe, on some it will "link" together seemingly unrelated slots on the Hide Slots menu.

For example I'm trying to hide leg slot, and it will have MaleLegs(HumanMale, HumanMaleDCS, M_Zombie3, Zomb4) from WillBs zombie asset, and when I check mark it, it also checks off M_Zombie1 HANDS for no apparent reason.

Unchecking Hands, also then unchecks Legs.

The ones it happens on are not contained in the same slot as the others. So like Zomb 3& 4 are in the list with HumanMale on legs, but Zomb1 has it's own separate slots for legs and hands apart from the HumanMale and others that are sharing a slot.

That's making me think that it's something to do with the slots?

This also happens with some other races I purchased. I tested it on example recipes that came in the UMA folder and it happens too (I was thinking maybe it was the recipes that came with clothing asset slot/overlay setup or something at first). I tried looking at the slots and overlays and I just can't figure it out.

I don't know how hands and legs slots could get tied together like that. Another one that was happening was legs and head. They are separate meshes.

Any ideas?

So if I can't figure it out then maybe I'm either going to need to make extra mesh hides, or maybe I can copy the recipes that it happens on and have one for Human/elf/whatever and then Zombie1 has it's own recipe standalone.

Thanks for all you do, UMA is great!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  22. UnityDevMe55

UnityDevMe55

What is the best way to change the texture of a clothing mesh at runtime? For example for a tshirt changing just the texture. I've seen tutorials on how to change a color, recipe or an entire mesh but not this. Would appreciate some help

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

Maybe? This is a lot harder than it sounds, and it has mostly to do with the shape of breasts. Making a bone based morph that looks good for both male/female is tough - but not undoable, just harder than it sounds. I made a quick pass at this the other day, thinking the same thing. The current bone weights/structure just aren't there for it. i would need to reweight the chest area, which could cause issues with existing characters.

But I think I have a good compromise for now - I'm looking into adding in a translation layer for the slots that will let you transform and generate a new set of base vertexes for a slot based on a bone pose, and cache and use those for a specific rig. This allows me to change the male rig so it matches the female rig, and makes refitting slots between races much easier. I hadn't planned to originally, but this would also allow me to create a male-female translation pose, which could automatically translate many male clothes to fit female -- not in all cases, especially with things that are very form fitting or revealing, but probably most rigid outfits (armor, etc. ). As well, we could add a new race that doesn't care about compatibility with older slots, and do this, and the translation would cover most of that also.

hopeful likes this.
  24. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is due to an issue with the control used in that version. It only supports up to 32 items. This is solved in the latest version using a different method to specify hidden slots.

But a simpler way to fix it is to switch from hiding slots, and move to hiding by tag. You can set the tag on slots in the base race recipe on the slot, and different slots can all use the same tag. So each "legs" slot could have a "legs" tag, regardless of slot name, and then you simply hide by the "legs" tag.

I'm not sure exactly when this went in place, but it has been some time. You may need to upgrade your UMA to the one on github. We are still waiting on the upgraded textures to release a new version on the asset store.

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

To change a texture on an existing slot, you create a wardrobe recipe with the existing slot, and put a different overlay on it. You can either switch out the wardrobe recipe for the new one. Or you can add it to a different wardrobe slot and add it - the duplicate mesh will be merged out, and the two overlays will be layered over each other.

UnityDevMe55 likes this.
  26. Generalreb

Generalreb

Awesome thanks for the help Jaimi.

I'm using 2.12 from the asset store.

I'll try to update from github, assuming I'm missing out on other fixes/features too. I'm a bit scared to do it but I'll use a backup lol.

27. hopeful

hopeful

That sounds like a good idea. It might even help us reach a solution for stretched textures on models with exaggerated proportions ...?

28. UnityDevMe55

UnityDevMe55

Has anyone tried to use the latest UMA with Game Creator 2 at all? If so I'd be curious if the Inventory 2 module of this can be used like a character customizer to enable/switch different recipes etc. I haven't been able to find anything on this except for the old game creator.

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

I haven't, but it shouldn't be tough if you can associate a recipe name with an item. You could then look up the item and equip it when applied.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

Lurking-Ninja and hopeful like this.
  31. UnityDevMe55

UnityDevMe55

Ok I'll try this out.

I have another question regarding hats and hair. Is there a tutorial/guide on how to set up a hat or hair model to work with a UMA2 character? I understand clothing is more complex since it needs to follow the bending of the character bones, but hats and hair usually just sit attached to the head. Do hats and hair need to be rigged or can they just be static models for them to work with UMA?

32. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hey Jaimi,

my suggestion for that UMA collider script. like this one, to only change the rigidbody properties if it is really a new one and there isn't one already on the users prefab:

Original
    upload_2024-3-30_10-40-2.png

My changes:
    upload_2024-3-30_10-44-16.png

I searched a long time why my prefab had rotation freezed... I already have a rigidbody and set up on my own prefab. I would change that, also for other uma collider scripts too the same way.

Just a suggestion of course. Happy easter :)

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

They should be rigged also, so they follow head/body modifications. Every hair will be different - something that wraps around the body will be much more complex than a short bob.

UnityDevMe55 likes this.
  34. Jaimi

Jaimi

Looks good - will be changed in the next upload. Happy easter!

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  35. Jaimi

Jaimi

I have modified the script to include the following options:

Code (csharp):
    2.         public bool overrideMass = false;
    3.         public bool overrideConstraints = false;
    4.         public bool overrideDimensions = true;
    OverrideMass and OverrideConstraints will be FALSE by default, so if a rigidbody exists, then the constraints and mass will not change. However, if these are set to true, then they will be set to the calculated values on each build.
    I've also added overrideDimensions (set to TRUE by default). When this is on, the current behavior will be the default - ie, it will override the capsule/box collider dimensions with the calculated values. You can disable this by setting that to false.

Firlefanz73 and hopeful like this.
  36. KaraanNannda

KaraanNannda

Hey UMA experts !
    I have an issue with UMA and GIT, Every time i push a change to my UMA repo , others who pull from the same repo get an error " asset import failed for an unsupported asset type". This usually happens with slots. Is there a GIT config that i should be using ? Am sure something is off in the GIT , well i could be wrong , i should not be "sure" Thanks for all you help in advance.
    PS : GIT LFS , LONGPATHS etc are enabled. in git congit.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

I would first check these:

• Download the corrupted slot and compare it to your known good one. If it is different, then something in the checkin process is broken. When you build a slot, you can choose to force it to be binary encoded (loads faster and is smaller). It's possible your repo thinks this is a text file for some reason, as converting CR/LF pairs. You can either turn the binary off (and tell Unity to serialize everything as text), or figure out what is causing it in GIT.
    • Maybe you are on a later version of Unity than the other person, and the asset json format changed between versions. If so, the only answer there is to get all on the same version, and make sure both of you are using the same asset db version (if it's selectable in that version).

38. AmandaAlavi

AmandaAlavi

Hello Jaimi,
    Me and my team use UMA, but we haven't updated for a long while now.
    So I just wanted to know if its now possible to "bake a character" in runtime on iOS and Android now and not just in unity on PC?

Ty for the help

39. Jaimi

Jaimi

Baking a mesh is no different than building it. You can build a character at runtime on IOS and Android. This creates a Skinned Mesh in memory. You can bake an UMA in the editor to a prefab (this makes it not-customizable). You can bake Blendshapes at runtime. What are you wanting to do?

40. GrosCorps

GrosCorps

Hey, sorry it took me a while before keeping investigating on it, but I finally found an explanation, I identified that it was because those users had their computer region settings in German Switzerland (float format being 1'000'000,00) and other countries had similar issues. So I checked and in the UMAMaterialPropertyBlock the parsing of the color properties depends on the region settings of the player when the writing of the color properties is done accordingly to the dev's region settings (I'm using US).

So I added CultureInfo.InvariantCulture to the parsing and the writing to make it region independant

I created a pull request as a hotfix : https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/pull/432

(It's my first time trying to contribute to a project, I tried to follow the guidelines but i didn't really know if I had to do a PR on dev or master and let you merge, or do 2 different PR.)

Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  41. Jaimi

Jaimi

Thank you! All contributions like this are definitely welcome. I added your fixes to my work in progress, since there were additional changes to that file in my work in progress. In the future, it's best create pull requests on the develop branch, makes it easier to merge altogether.

hopeful and GrosCorps like this.
  42. GrosCorps

GrosCorps

Great thank you, noted for next time ;)

Jaimi likes this.
  43. Prefab

Prefab

Hi, has anyone had success with using one of the skinned mesh lod systems on the asset store, with UMA? I am thinking of using the o3N John/Jane asset since it's the only UMA base character with built in race and age. But these models are quite high poly and come with no lods. My question is then how would the lod system integrate with UMA? For example if I generate the lods beforehand, at runtime if a player adjusts some of the morphs etc would UMA update the geometry of all the lods or only the one in use? There are some lod systems on UAS that support runtime lod generation but I'm not confident I could pull off the scripting required.

44. Duffer123

Duffer123

Stupid question - but where have all the Will B and many other UMA assets gone - they are no longer on the Unity Asset Store - can I get them anywhere else now?

45. JeffG

JeffG

WillB quit making assets and shut down his store.

Duffer123 likes this.
  46. Duffer123

Duffer123

Sad to hear - I had most of them - was having a bit of an UMA renaissance myself, and went looking...

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

You might try asking on the discord. I've not used anything except the built in LOD system.

48. hopeful

hopeful

You may find that you don't need character mesh LOD. Don't assume you'll need it.

If you end up needing it, by that time you'll probably have a better idea of what approach to take to handle it. Two options, I suppose, would be to either A) do LOD at runtime after your character is built using UMA, or B) in the editor make a low poly version of the John/Jane body and use it as an optional body for generating in UMA.

49. tredpro

tredpro

upload_2024-6-5_4-42-37.png

what causes this issue
    when adding clothing the uma character model lays down and breaks and how do i fix it? i added the mask. and this happens. remove the mask it goes back to normal. its not all clothing just some. i havent used uma in forever and i had the issue before but i dont remember how i fixed it lol

this is the error

Mesh.SetBoneWeights() failed: Expected 61344 bone weights (sum of the elements in bonesPerVertex) but got 15450.
    UnityEngine.Mesh:SetBoneWeights (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1<byte>,Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1<UnityEngine.BoneWeight1>)
    UMA.UMAMeshData:SetBoneWeightsFromMeshData (UnityEngine.Mesh) (at E:/TredFilmHDRP/Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:765)
    UMA.UMAMeshData:ApplySharedBuffers (UnityEngine.Mesh) (at E:/TredFilmHDRP/Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:950)
    UMA.UMAMeshData:ApplyDataToUnityMesh (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer,UMA.UMASkeleton) (at E:/TredFilmHDRP/Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:638)
    UMA.UMADefaultMeshCombiner:UpdateUMAMesh (bool,UMA.UMAData,int) (at E:/TredFilmHDRP/Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMADefaultMeshCombiner.cs:170)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:UpdateUMAMesh (bool) (at E:/TredFilmHDRP/Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:484)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:GenerateSingleUMA (UMA.UMAData,bool) (at E:/TredFilmHDRP/Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:313)
    UMA.CharacterSystem.Editors.DynamicCharacterAvatarEditor:<OnInspectorGUI>g__GenerateSingleUMA|20_1 (bool) (at E:/TredFilmHDRP/Assets/UMA/Core/Editor/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/DynamicCharacterAvatarEditor.cs:779)
    UMA.CharacterSystem.Editors.DynamicCharacterAvatarEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at E:/TredFilmHDRP/Assets/UMA/Core/Editor/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/DynamicCharacterAvatarEditor.cs:261)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

and

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: _unity_self
    UnityEditorInternal.ReorderableList.get_isOverMaxMultiEditLimit () (at <5e6ebaa7d75c4d5399dc81ecead6b43f>:0)
    UnityEditorInternal.ReorderableList.CacheIfNeeded () (at <5e6ebaa7d75c4d5399dc81ecead6b43f>:0)
    UnityEditorInternal.ReorderableList.GetListElementHeight () (at <5e6ebaa7d75c4d5399dc81ecead6b43f>:0)
    UnityEditorInternal.ReorderableList.DoLayoutList () (at <5e6ebaa7d75c4d5399dc81ecead6b43f>:0)
    UMA.Editors.SlotDataAssetInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  50. Jaimi

Jaimi

Is your clothing high poly? If so, did you turn on 32 but buffers in UMA preferences?