Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

To use the Expression Player, you would need to put the "UMAExpressionPlayer" object on your UMA. You can drive this component with the animator to do various animations. The documentation is in the UMA folder, but alas, my documentation skills are not very good, so feel free to help out. :)

2. drakedane

drakedane

Jaimi, looks like you confirmed what I just discovered! Before checking back here, I remembered that Secret Anorak is a great UMA resource, and his Expression Player video made me realize that I had not actually tried using the UMA Expression Player. I had only attached and tried using the Expression Player component. Didn't even know there was an UMA Expression Player, until I had finished my original post!

Anyway, after adding the UMA Expression Player, when I use the sliders, while the game is running, now, I DO see the character's face changing! And looks like there is only one slider needed to open and close the mouth. Don't need any lip synching, so should be able to put together simple code to make this slider do what I want (assuming I can reference it in my script)!

As usual, thank you, sir!

Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  3. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA 2.13 Alpha 2 is now available here. This is an alpha release for testing, but seems pretty solid right now.

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/2.13a2

Changes:

Alpha 2 New
    You can now load/save Avatar Definition from the DynamicCharacterAvatar in the inspector at runtime.
    DNA Converters can now have a "post apply" action.
    Several blendshape bugfixes
    added editable property to force rebind the animator at build time.
    Fixed drag/drop of mesh hide assets
    Fixed submeshes in Mesh Hide Asset editor
    Added "Show Help" on UMAMaterial Editor, so you can see what all the different types are.
    Reworked "hide" on DCA, so it does not use Update. (less overhead)
    Added "Recreate Avatar on Race change" option.
    Added "AddressableBuildPending" function so you can see if a build is waiting on addressables.
    Added new UMAMaterial type "Use existing textures". This sets the textures to the existing textures, and does not generate an atlas. To compositing, you will need to use special shaders. Extra overlays are passed to the shader appending the overlay number in the chain (example, if you have 2 overlays that set _MainTex, then the second one will set "_MainTex1". Shaders are not included for compositing.
    Changed "DNA Applied" events to call at the very end of the DNA process.
    Small speedup in blendshape application when not all vertex data is sent.

From Alpha 1
    Lots of bug fixes - Too many to list
    On Generator - added ability to force rebuild all characters at edit time.
    On DCA - added button to rebuild current character
    On DCA - Added buttons to pull up the current race, and the current base race recipe
    Photobooth can now turn on/off mannekin, make clothes double sided (URP/HDRP required for that)
    Slots can now contain objects
    Objects on slots can get events through IUMAEventHookup to setup the object
    Override textures on overlays
    Override vertexes on slots
    Override bones on T-Poses
    Switch to Native methods to set triangles on mesh building
    Slot builder can strip parts of bone names when they get renamed spuriously (looking at you, Maya)
    New UMAMaterial type: Use Existing Material
    Drag and Drop mesh hide assets
    Minor fixes to SimpleLOD, Twistbones
    Mass add mesh hide assets in Global Library window
    Select overlays by material in Global library window
    Weld functionality in Slot Inspector - fixes seams without seams mesh
    Lots of little buttons to make life easier in the editors
    Decal Editor (broken - in progress)

hopeful likes this.
  4. Kultie

Kultie

I have a issue with UMA addressables in my project.
    Basically all my addressables's operations seem to be blocked by the UMAAssetIndexer.LoadLabelList call till it's complete, any Idea how to resolve this. It's take 10~20 seconds on editor and 45~60 seconds on mobile.

5. GameDesignerMaximum

GameDesignerMaximum

Thanks for the answer! I forgot to leave a comment about my success. I do not know what I did in the end, it does not matter, everything works. An asset can be difficult at the beginning of the journey, but the more you work with it and understand some nuances, the clearer and more transparent everything becomes. I am delighted with the work done, it is an indispensable tool! Amazing! Thank you for the fact that I can use it for free.
    I want to ask a question about crowd optimization. I didn't quite understand, if I used a crowd of the same character with one single mesh and one texture, would it be the same as with UMA? Or does UMA reduce the number of draw calls for the crowd?

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

LoadLabelList is an Asynchronous call - it should schedule the data load, and then return without any waiting. An AsyncOperation is returned that then sends an event when the data load is complete. But the code is not waiting on the event.

If it's taking a long time, then the problem is somewhere in the addressables system. Are you trying to download from the web? Is the DNS lookup taking a long time? Is it maybe downloading the catalog from a server?

7. Kultie

Kultie

Thanks for reploy.

It is asynchronous everything is working as expected, my problem is when the LoadLabelList is running, using the addressable's event log, I saw that other operation is waiting for the LoadLabelList to finish.

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

So the AsyncOperation that was spawned by LoadLabelList is waiting for completion. It shouldn't be locking up your app though, as it does not await it - instead, it just returns, and rebuilds the character when the data has loaded.
    The reason for the delay is that Unity has to load the items, into memory, and when they are on a remote server (if they are) then it has to download them and cache them, and then load them.
    Have you made any changes to the UMA_SharedItems group? It should be set to pack all assets separately. This limits the things that have to be downloaded and loaded. You can precache items from remote sources also - using DownloadDependenciesAsync.

var op = Addressables.DownloadDependenciesAsync(Labels, Addressables.MergeMode.Union, false);

Probably the thing that takes the longest to load are the textures. Make sure your textures are reduced as much as possible while still retaining visual clarity. If your generator is set to reduce textures by 2 (initial scale factor), then there is no reason to have full size
    But 20 seconds seems excessive. Usually I see 1-2 seconds for remote items.

Kultie likes this.
  9. Jaimi

Jaimi

By default, UMA would not reduce the drawcalls for the crowd. Each character would be one drawcall in that case. To draw a crowd using the minimum draw calls would require to setup the UMA differently - using "Tinted Texture" type, and not compositing. In addition, you would need to use URP/HDRP and turn on the SRP batcher.

10. jungsob

jungsob

I have a question.
    Recently, I made slot data and applied material using UMA.
    I want to make a slot using one mesh and multiple material,
    rather than joining material or splitting meshes in blender.
    Could you guide me?

11. Abhiwan_Pawan

Abhiwan_Pawan

Hi Guys,
    I'm wondering, How to access the thumbnail image of the Wardrobe recipe?
    Any help is appreciated in advance.

Attached Files:

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

Just make it however you want in blender. Burn your textures to PBR textures using one of several plugins, and the build the slots. If you have more than one material on an object, then multiple slots will be generated. You'll need to add both of those to a recipe if you want both of them to display.

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

The wardrobe recipe has an list of "WardrobeRecipeThumb" items. This contains the thumbnails for that item, by race.

14. GameDesignerMaximum

GameDesignerMaximum

I'm in trouble again. It was fine for a while, I was making my wardrobe. But from some point on, mistakes started. The character worked every other time. When creating a new dynamic avatar, the character completely stops working. No matter how I do T-pose again, it doesn't work anymore. I recorded a video about it.
    I dare to assume that the character could have broken down in the process of creating things. Because I noticed that everything could break if at least something was wrong. Let's say some fields in some components are not filled in... Or maybe it's from the fact that I edited the character grid while creating clothes. But first I edited the grid for any object of clothing, then I created a slot for them. If something is broken in my slots or anywhere else, it remains only to do it all over again. With a large wardrobe, it can take a lot of time. And, I'm afraid that something might go wrong again

15. solarstreamtechnology

solarstreamtechnology

I have been using UMA addressable and there is a few seconds of delay to load the UMA character.

I wanted to add a loading or transition screen while the UMA is still loading.

Is there any public method in UMA that I can check when the loading is completed?

16. el_rufio

el_rufio

Is it possible to play animations for animated props added to the UMA character as a Wardrobe Item that have additional joints beyond it's existing hierarchy, (such as a ponytail, long coat, tail etc...)

I have seen Secret Anorak's jiggle script:

I don't know if this is the same as getting one merged hierarchy to play two sets of animation data (main character anim , selectable prop anim). Any pointers to an UMA setup tutorial or script that adds the animation to the existing UMA would be really helpful, thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  17. yale3d

yale3d

When i build a character with high heels, the heel is lifted as expected, but when i change shoes to a flat soled shoe and rebuild character, it won't change bact. Is it supposed to work this way, or is there something i need to do in addition?

18. thedetective456

thedetective456

Hey, how do you sync custom skins in a multiplayer game?

For example : Think i make a skin trading platform, where people buy cosmetics. Now I have custom cosmetics in one guy's device, if he starts playing the game how can I make it so other players can see it?
    Note : Most probably those skins will be asset bundles I guess... I don't want everyone to have a copy of this skin as the game download size may increase significantly

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

The error seems to be in the human description - that is, it can't generate a mecanim avatar. Usually this is due to the bones not being mapped correctly in the Avatar configuration. I wouldn't think this would cause you to regenerate everything.

also - I see you do not have a UMA_GLIB in your scene, and it is generating the old editor context. I recommend to update to the latest UMA alpha 2.13, and to put a UMA_GLIB in your scene.

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

CharacterUpdated is called when the character has finished generation.

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes, it is possible to animate additional bones. The jiggle scripts use procedural animation, but you can layer on animations using the Animator also. However, the hierarchy is normally different, so if you created the animation from a model instead of a prefab, then you will have to fix the animation using the animation target renamer included with UMA, to fix the hierarchy in the animation. (the hierarchy must match as generated).

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

How are you raising the heels? I would assume with a bone pose DNA attached to the shoes? If so, removing the shoes and rebuilding should take care of it. How are you changing the pose?

hopeful likes this.
  23. Jaimi

Jaimi

So, custom skins are something that is complicated. Alpha 2.13 has a new feature that allows you to "override" textures in an overlay for a character (to put a custom shirt on, for example). Unfortunately, there is no network magic though. You have to identify that a custom texture would be in use, and you would need to load it an apply it. This is not a simple change, but I am aware of several customers that are doing this, so it is doable.

hopeful likes this.
  24. jungsob

jungsob

Thanks for your reply.

As you said, several slots and one overlay were created.

To apply the recipe, shouldn't the overlay number be similar to the slot number?

Do I have to create overlays?

25. thedetective456

thedetective456

Is there any way to load these custom textures?

26. yale3d

yale3d

The wardrobe in question is part of the o3n Modern Clothing pack, not our making, but as far as i understand it, each wardrobe slot has a DNAConverterController that takes care of the pose change. Like this:
    upload_2022-5-10_11-1-33.png

27. harison1

harison1

Wenn ich ein Video mounte, fehlen mir ständig verschiedene Sounds für das Overlay. Ich habe die Seite depositphotos gefunden, wo alle Sounds sind

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

The purpose of the slot builder is to create slots. If you have more than one slot created, it may (or may not) need additional overlays. You'll need to decide that and create them if needed. The overlay the slot builder creates (if you check the box) is just a place holder that will need to be filled out.

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

At the bottom of the DCA in the advanced section, try turning on "Always rebuild skeleton".

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

My German is very poor, but Google says you are talking about sounds and video files. This doesn't have anything to do with UMA, please post a thread in the "Getting started" section for general Unity help.

32. yale3d

yale3d

Yep, it solved the problem. Great, thank you, i really appreciate your help! :)

hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  33. drakedane

drakedane

Recently, I updated my Mac OS & Unity Editor, in order to update UMA to 2.12. And, since doing those updates, I sometimes experience a major UMA crash that I can't explain. So decided to attach a couple of screenshots.

First screenshot shows errors logged in console, when I try running my game.
    NullRefs.jpg

Second screenshot shows sample of what I see, when I inspect my UMA characters in the Editor.
    UMACharScript.jpg

In the past, I would normally and simply reboot Unity, and that would fix the issue. But, when this issue happened late last night, rebooting Unity did NOT solve the issue. So I tried restarting my computer, which also failed. Therefore, before going to sleep, I tried to reimport UMA into Unity, which took a while.

This morning, when I woke up and checked, after rebooting Unity, UMA characters still won't load! Going to try to shut down and reboot Mac (since I only tried a reboot, last night). At this point, I am not sure if this issue is purely an UMA issue or if it is maybe something caused by one of the other Updates. So I am trying everything!

I also notice that Visual Studio for Mac can be updated. So might try updating VS, since the crashing seems to be in terms of UMA scripts, components. Think that might help??

In the meantime, thought I would report issue here, just in case this is a known issue that has a known fix.

In case it matters, since I didn't think I would need it, I DID NOT install "Addressables", when I updated to 2.12. As noted above, most of the time, UMA works fine, so assumed it was OK that I didn't install "Addressables". But let me know, if you think that might resolve this issue! Thanks in advance!

FYI, Mac OS was upgraded to Montery (12.3.1) and Unity Editor was updated to 2020.3. Visual Studio for Mac is version 7.5. But, again, looks like at least one update available.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  34. Jaimi

Jaimi

It looks like your index is corrupted. It should have prompted you to rebuild it when you installed UMA. Anyway, open the global library, and from the file menu (on the global library window) try running "Rebuild from project".
    Also, make sure you have UMA_GLIB in your scene from the getting started folder.

35. drakedane

drakedane

As usual, thanks so much for reply. I will try what you suggest. HOWEVER, I thought I read something during UMA update about UMA_GLIB being for the Addressables version of UMA 2.1. I have continued to use UMA_DCS. So guess I am wondering if I should switch that out or are you suggesting that I can have BOTH of these in my scene?

36. drakedane

drakedane

Jaimi,

Very excited to report that your suggestion seemed to fix things! Haven't tried running game yet, but everything now looks back to normal on my UMA characters, so expect they will probably load properly now. However, I will continue to wait for your reply about UMA_GLIB, since I am wondering if maybe that will stop this from happening in the future. Again, this has happened several times now. So I am glad to have a better solution, but wondering if there is a way to prevent this from continuing to happen. UMA_GLIB, maybe??

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Any UMA_DCS needs to be removed. It has the old components on it, and they are slower, and prone to issues with the newest UMA. They are replaced by the UMA_GLIB component.

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

Since I'm not sure what is happening to break things, I can't say for sure what will fix it. However, I can say that use of UMA_DCS is discouraged. The components on it are not up to date, and don't work well with the current UMA. There are cases where some people might want to use it, so I haven't removed them, but they are few and far between.

39. drakedane

drakedane

Got it! Thank you, sir! But still need some clarification: I should use one or the other, but not both in the scene, correct? And is it OK to use UMA_GLIB without Addressables? Thanks again!

UPDATE: In one of my scenes, I deleted UMA_DCS & added UMA_GLB, which was renamed to "UMAEditorContext", which I thought was odd & is likely the main clue to what's going on.

Anyway, when I clicked on the first UMA, I noticed that the Context ref was already pointing to the new GLB (actually "UMAEditorContext", in the scene), which was fine. It was only the Generator ref that was missing. I was able to select and fill ref with new "GLB" (UMAEditorContext) prefab. But, when I clicked on the next UMA, to do the same, the "UMAEditorContext" game object in the Hierarchy disappeared!

Various other, similar issues, as I attempted to work this out. So clearly something wrong with the prefab, since it doesn't get added to the scene as "UMA_GLB". Almost like the Editor thinks that is only a prefab for the "UMA Global Context" component, even though it is accepted as a reference for the "UMA Generator" component.

Will try to resolve on my own or will go back to using UMA_DCS. I might try using that same "Rebuild option" you gave me earlier. But, of course, I am definitely wondering, now, if I need to install Addressables to use UMA_GLB. Please, let me know! Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  40. Jaimi

Jaimi

You should only ever use UMA_GLIB. UMA_GLIB works both with and without addressables.

41. drakedane

drakedane

Thanks for that clarification! Didn't see your reply, before I posted my last update! Hopefully you will be able to assist. Maybe there is some proper way to switch over, if I have been using DCS?

EDIT: Just realized that I missed another reply from you, where you clearly indicated that DCS should be removed. So, so far, doing everything right. So, since addressables not required, hoping that rebuild option will work to get me switched over to using GLB, instead of DCS prefab!

42. thedetective456

thedetective456

43. drakedane

drakedane

Jaimi -

Copying this, here, in case you didn't realize I had updated earlier post to which you had already replied. I successfully switched back to using DCS, but would love to switchover to GLB, if you are suggesting that is the best way to go! Anyway, will check in later, for reply! Thanks in advance! Here's the update from yesterday:

UPDATE: In one of my scenes, I deleted UMA_DCS & added UMA_GLB, which was renamed to "UMAEditorContext", which I thought was odd & is likely the main clue to what's going on.

Anyway, when I clicked on the first UMA, I noticed that the Context ref was already pointing to the new GLB (actually "UMAEditorContext", in the scene), which was fine. It was only the Generator ref that was missing. I was able to select and fill ref with new "GLB" (UMAEditorContext) prefab. But, when I clicked on the next UMA, to do the same, the "UMAEditorContext" game object in the Hierarchy disappeared!

Various other, similar issues, as I attempted to work this out. So clearly something wrong with the prefab, since it doesn't get added to the scene as "UMA_GLB". Almost like the Editor thinks that is only a prefab for the "UMA Global Context" component, even though it is accepted as a reference for the "UMA Generator" component.

Will try to resolve on my own or will go back to using UMA_DCS. I might try using that same "Rebuild option" you gave me earlier. But, of course, I am definitely wondering, now, if I need to install Addressables to use UMA_GLB. Please, let me know! Thanks in advance!

BTW, since I had already performed rebuild project and project reimport, didn't think that doing either of these again would fix UMA_GLB issue. And couldn't think of anything else to do, so, again, decided to switch back to DCS.

44. GameDesignerMaximum

GameDesignerMaximum

Thanks! It worked. Thanks for the handy little buttons)

So far, from the problems of the alpha version, what I have found is that I get an error when I put clothes on a character in non-game mode. Once the character disappeared when updating clothes.
    Error:
    Failed to dispose Editor Wrapper.
    Unity Editor.EditorWrapper:Finalize ()

I also get errors when creating and loading presets:
    EndLayoutGroup: The initial layout group must be called first.
    the unity engine.Location:The final horizontal ()

Another problem. I wanted to use the UMARandomAvatar script. The Randomizer configs in the project for example work in the demoscene, but they don't work in the inspector. Something is broken in Inspector Editor. If you create your own Randomizer, then there is only a choice of race, there are no other settings. Error when starting the game:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMA.UM A Random Avatar.Randomize (UMA.Character System.DynamicCharacterAvatar Avatar) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/UMARandomAvatar.cs:167)

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  45. Jaimi

Jaimi

There is a sample scene that shows the cloth setup. Basically follow the old wiki, but put the cloth settings on the rendererasset.

46. Jaimi

Jaimi

Well, switching back to UMA_DCS should have given you the same as UMA_GLIB, as I replaced the old prefab with a copy of that. The dangerous ones are the old UMA_DCS that are saved in the scenes.

You can definitely use the new ones without addressables.

You mention the editor context. That was a bug in earlier versions - it would keep thinking all copies of prefab are an editor context, even if it wasn't. This is fixed in 2.13 alpha version, and recommend to upgrade to it.

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

The editor errors you are seeing are usually a symptom of a different problem-probably something not found, or a reference missing somewhere. It should have a previous error that can give more information.

Thanks for the report on the umarandomavatar. I will check it out.

You may want to rebuild the global library from your project just to be sure that everything is up to date.

48. qpuilie

qpuilie

Hi,
    I encountered a phenomenon, when I set the value of DNA to 0.5, it did not take effect, but forcibly changed to 0.5019608, which caused some bones to be incorrectly positioned.
    Step: change Base Recipe's DNA value to 0.5,and click other assets to make inspector change,and then reclick base recipe,it will be force changed.
    Then I looked up the source code, and found the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. bDnaSettings[ii].value * (1f / 255f);
    Is there any way to fix it?
    Thanks!

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

The text recipes and DynamicDNA save the value as a byte, and can't be easily changed. But, the difference between 0.5 and 0.5019608 is very small. is this your own DNA? If so, what are you doing that 0.0019608 is causing a noticeable shift?
    Anyway, it should be possible to save that as a short, or even an int or float. You'd need to change the serialization, and make sure the old stored values can deserialize correctly to the new datatype.

50. drakedane

drakedane

UPDATE 2:
    Here are the results, after changing Rect values to 0 for Underwear.

In Editor:
    Gear_Normal.jpg
    On iPad:
    Gear_Issue.jpg
    So looks like that is NOT the solution! BUT looks like I am at least seeing something indicating the underwear, which I wasn't seeing before. So maybe one of the other attempts to solve may have helped? Will normally reset Rect values on underwear to see what happens, but now no way to get back to the original values, since fields only go to 100!

==========

UPDATE 1:
    Assuming overlay issue, I inspected many different overlays. And I DID discover something different on the underwear overlay in question that I didn't see on any of the other overlays. Not sure if this explains why underwear stopped displaying on iPad, but seems like an obvious issue with this overlay and hard to believe this is just a coincidence; but will leave that up to you!

These are the values I see in the Rect fields of the underwear overlay:
    UnderwearOverlay.jpg
    But on literally every other overlay I inspect I see these values:
    ShirtOverlay.jpg
    When I changed values on underwear to 0, interestingly, the 4 sliders popped up. And that's when I discovered that the sliders only slide to 100, suggesting that the original values would have been out of range. Unfortunately, I will have to wait for next build and install to iPad to find out whether or not updating the underwear overlay has fixed the problem or not. But thought I would do this update, in the meantime!

BTW, I discovered that, even after updating the overlay's Rect values directly, I still had to manually update the values on the three "Full Outfit" Wardrobe Recipes that use this overlay. Is that expected behavior? Or should Recipes that use a given overlay be automatically updated, if the overlay is updated in some way?

==========

ORIGINAL POST:
    At some point in the last three days, one part of a "Full Outfit" Wardrobe Recipe stopped displaying on iPad (overlay "FemaleUnderwear01" in Female Torso slot)! In Unity Editor (Mac), wardrobe displays as intended. Issue is only on the iPad, which brings me to my first question:

1. Is there anything in Unity's Quality Settings that might affect the display of an overlay? I have been adjusting certain Quality Settings, over the last days, trying to address FPS issue that is likely a point lights issue.

2. Your suggestion to fix my UMA Quality issue on iPad was to set Skin Weights to Unlimited or to 4 Bones, if that was the best option. I used Unlimited (which worked) and never tried using 4 Bones. But now I am wondering if there is any difference between these two options, in terms of "overhead". If more "expensive" to use "Unlimited", I would prefer to try using "4 Bones" instead. So plz let me know!

3. If wardrobe issue was not caused by any of my tweaking to Quality Settings, do you have any ideas or suggestions to fix this? I am considering re-building project, including Text Assets; but seems like assets should be OK, since wardrobe works as expected in the Editor.

I should note that there are three different versions of this Wardrobe Recipe in my game. The only difference between these three is color & glossiness. And the problem exists in all three versions (no underwear displaying, but the rest of the outfit displaying as intended). So seems like this is an overlay issue, rather than a wardrobe recipe issue, and it seems to be limited to the iPad.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: May 17, 2022