Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's not ready yet, but will be "soon".

2. bdb400

bdb400

Does anyone know if UMA 3 is being developed?

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

I am finishing up UMA 2.13 at the moment. What feature are you waiting for?

4. bdb400

bdb400

Good to know. I'm working on cloth physics currently and was wondering if Obi Cloth, Magica Cloth or Cloth Dynamics would ever be supported, as the built in cloth system is missing some important features. If not I would like to implement it myself if possible/not to hard . Thank you for the quick reply!

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Those will not be integrated in the next version. If you do implement it yourself, I would be happy to try to integrate your changes into UMA.

bdb400 likes this.
  6. bdb400

bdb400

Thank you for replying, I'm glad to hear Uma is still being updated!

7. vonSchlank

vonSchlank

Hello,
    I add a gameObject, add DynamicCharacterAvatar on it, set race to, well, anything, but let's say "HumanFemale" and it starts flooding the console with errors.
    Assertion failed on expression: 'material.sharedMaterialData->smallMaterialIndex != 0'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

I cannot create a single basic character without getting these errors.
    Unity 2021,.02.16f1
    Will this be addressed in the next update? And when will it get released?
    Thanks!

8. VR_Junkie

VR_Junkie

Another question, when I have keep avatar selected the uma keeps the avatar generated. The issue I am having is if I turn that uma on and off, it destroys the avatar that was previously generated even if keep avatar is on. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

9. UnityMagoo

UnityMagoo

Hello. I seriously looked high and low and I'm not finding any step by step UMA tutorials. I'm finding a bunch of high level "this is how it works" but no steps that help me understand why my character disappears when I drag a wardrobe recipe in. Help :)

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

If your character disappears when you drag something in, then the build process broke. There should be an error in the console.
    By far the most likely reason is that the items in the recipe are not in the library. So first step is to open the global library window, and tell it to rebuild.

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Well, no, not really. I can add that at some point, but then you run the risk of items not being cleaned up (but I guess GC will get it at some point anyway).
    For now though, you can hide the character without destroying it if you want. there is a field on the avatar to hide it.

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

This was introduced in 2021 of unity. there is a workaround:

13. UnityMagoo

UnityMagoo

That was it. Thanks

Jaimi likes this.
  14. UnityMagoo

UnityMagoo

Is there any official UMA documentation? Where are thing detailed, things like the global library and all its ins and outs?

15. vonSchlank

vonSchlank

Great, thank you!

16. hopeful

hopeful

The most practical "documentation" is the examples area in the UMA package. There's some small amount of written documentation at the wiki, and some video tutorials on YouTube, but these generally don't keep pace with the updates and may not track modest changes. The examples do keep pace, though.

There's a Discord community where you can ask questions, and you'll of course see a lot of other people's questions and answers.

17. UnityMagoo

UnityMagoo

Thank you again

Jaimi likes this.
  18. VR_Junkie

VR_Junkie

Hey, not exactly an UMA question but I was trying to find an answer to this and saw your question from 10 years ago haha. There is a Unity asset called polybrush that allows you to paint planes like terrains. I am trying to save a polybrush created plane as a material. I want it as a material so I can material swap in runtime through the plane (instead of swapping out the polybrush plane). Do you know how to save a material to the project folder?

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

Basically you just call the "CreateAsset" function on the AssetDatabase, and then tell it to save the assets:

AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(newMaterial, pathincludingfilename);
    AssetDatabase.SaveAssets();

20. lge_kymin

lge_kymin

Hello!
    I created two assets (hair, shirt) using UMA's slot builder.
    The bones and bone weights of both assets were created using UMA_female_rig(F_Base 2.0_Hair, F_Base 2.0_Torso).

Used on their own, they worked well with other given assets as well.
    upload_2022-4-7_9-3-44.png

However, meshes only had problems when the two assets worked together.
    upload_2022-4-7_9-4-35.png

The error message was "Mesh.SetBoneWeights() failed: The size of the bonesPerVertex argument must match the size of Mesh.vertices (65534) or zero but was 66970."
    "Failed setting triangles. Some indices are referencing out of bounds vertices. IndexCount: 264411, VertexCount: 65534"

Please give your opinion!

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

Your meshes have a lot of vertexes. You can enable 32 bit buffer support to allow this in the UMA preferences.

22. lge_kymin

lge_kymin

Thank you!! it works very well!!

Jaimi likes this.
  23. drakedane

drakedane

Not sure about the right terminology, so will try taking and uploading picture later, to show what I mean, but, on iPad, my UMA characters do NOT look the way they do on my Mac desktop. That is: They look a LOT better on Mac desktop than on iPad. Is this a known issue? Should I NOT expect the same quality on iPad?

24. drakedane

drakedane

Assuming File Upload works, you should see two different examples of the UMA rendering issue I reported earlier. And, now that I am able to do a side by side comparison, it seems like the issue is only or mainly with the lips, jaws and cheeks. Think everything else either looks the same or is close enough. While waiting for reply, will try to review forum and documentation for anything that might help. Thx in advance, if anyone has any suggestions!

25. drakedane

drakedane

26. drakedane

drakedane

27. Jaimi

Jaimi

This looks like Quality Settings. Make sure your all the quality settings for the ipad target have the "Skin Weights" set to unlimited (or 4 if unlimited is not an option).

28. drakedane

drakedane

Thanks for reply! But, to be honest, not sure where to find the settings you're referring to; but will keep checking and let you know what happens! Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  29. drakedane

drakedane

Searched Forum and found this:
    So I am going to assume you are referring to Unity setting; not UMA specific setting, when you talk about "Quality Settings". So checking that out next!

30. drakedane

drakedane

Found the the "Skin Weights" settings you referred to; and adjusted as you suggest. But will take some time before I will be able to check out the results on iPad. Fingers crossed! Thanks again, for reply!

31. drakedane

drakedane

Looks like I still have same issues with those same body parts (mouth width, jaw size, jaw position & lip size - think this is where we see the quality issues). I will try playing around with other settings later, but, in the meantime, wondering if there is anything else I might want to address, to ensure UMA's are rendered on iPad as they are on Mac Desktop! Anyway, thanks again, sir, for your assistance! You are the best!

32. sshimji

sshimji

Hello.
    Is there default height of uma characters? Is it 2 meters tall??
    I'd like to make the new race data without any DNA Converters, but when I import the new character, it makes to me 2 meters tall character although it has actually 1 meters tall.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  33. drakedane

drakedane

Sorry, Jaimi! Looks like I didn't properly implement Quality Settings update! I updated one of the Quality profiles, but not the one that was set for iOS! From what I can tell, as usual, you were correct! After updating the Quality Settings used for iOS, looks like I am getting same UMA quality on iPad that I see on Mac! So thank you so much!

I have ignored this issue for a long time, since it was only "cosmetic"; but really hoped I would eventually be able to resolve it. Only recently got a chance to check it out. And, thanks to you, turns out the fix was quick and easy! So thanks again!

hopeful likes this.
  34. Jaimi

Jaimi

You're welcome, glad you got it going.

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

The default characters are close to two meters tall. Without DNA converters, they would be exactly two meters (you set the scale on the converter controller).

36. sshimji

sshimji

I'd like to make the other size default character... Can I change the default height?

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Sure - go to the racedata, find the converter controller, and update the height to whatever you want.

38. Jeff_JungPyo

Jeff_JungPyo

After I set renderer asset of cloth slot to "ClothUmaRendererAsset", I confirmed that the renderer of the cloth is separated.
    However, when I save or play the unity project, the physics cloth settings I added to the cloth inspector are lost.
    What's the my problem?

How do I separate the renderer for the top and bottom clothes?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  39. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is there a place to keep track of update in the assets?

40. ss0cratess

ss0cratess

Hello everyone!
    I just started using UMA, created my character using the Dynamic Character Avatar and assigned him a Default Animation Controller.
    My question is:
    How do I change states in my character's animator from Standing to SitDown?

My character is an NPC that stands up when the player enters a trigger around him and I used a simple script:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Animator NPCAnim;
    3.     private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    4.     {
    5.         if (other.tag=="Player")
    6.         {
    7.             NPCAnim.SetBool("StandUp", true);
    9.         }
    10.     }
    But I can't assign his animator in this script (probably because it's added in run-time).
    Thank you, and sorry if this has been posted before, I'm currently looking through the thread.

41. Jaimi

Jaimi

You'll need to use GetComponent<> to get the Animator.

var Animator = gameObject.GetComponent<Animator>();

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

You added them to the RendererAsset, and saved?

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

What are you wanting to keep track of? DNA, Colors, Wardrobe?

44. Jeff_JungPyo

Jeff_JungPyo

1. make new recipe and slot for cloth & set renderer asset
    1650506076825.png
    2. add wardrobe cloth recipe
    1650506075180.png
    3. add cloth physics in cloth inspector
    1650506073695.png
    4. Disappear cloth physics of inspector after play or save

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  45. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is expected. You shouldn't create your own cloth object. Instead, let UMA do it.

The slot that will be "cloth" needs to have a UMARendererAsset attached - see 'ClothRobeSimulated_Slot' for an example (in this case, it's 'ClothUMARendererAsset'). This will have a "Cloth Properties" field on it. In the sample, this is 'UMAClothPropertiesExample'. That asset lets you set the cloth properties.

hopeful likes this.
  46. Jaimi

Jaimi

Gervais60 and hopeful like this.
  47. francescoStrada

francescoStrada

Hello community!

I have been using UMA for quite some time and I am very happy with the potential it has offered me. For the project I am currently working on, I will be loading in the environment concurrently (i.e., as seen by the user) a relatively large amount of avatars, between 50 and 100. In my latest tests, I am seeing some hiccups in the framerate as the number of avatars increases from the initial 10 to the maximum (50-100). For this reason, I am writing here to ask which are the best practices you know of for optimizing the use of UMA when a lot of avatars are needed. Thanks very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Francesco

48. GameDesignerMaximum

GameDesignerMaximum

Hello!
    I'm trying to turn these characters into UMA. I did everything according to video tutorials. The hierarchy and the names of the bones are correct (screen). I made a T-pose, slots and everything else and added it to the global library, just like in the video tutorial. But when choosing a race in UMADynamicCharacterAvatar I get an error:
    AvatarBuilder 'UMADynamicCharacterAvatar': Transform 'LeftUpLeg' is not an ancestor of 'calf_l'
    There are no bones with the name calf_l in my character. I see that it is created automatically. Maybe I need to do some special hierarchy of bones and their names for UMA?
    I don't understand what's going on. I would be very happy to solve the problem and use UMA!

49. drakedane

drakedane

I see a lot of posts about Expression Player, but can't seem to find any documentation. Until now, I have ignored the fact that all of my early attempts (years ago) to use this feature have failed, since I never had any need for it. But, for the first time, I would like to have a character's mouth open & close, while playing a talking animation to provide hand gesturing. Blinking might be nice, since that appears to be an option, but not necessary. Anyway, don't see anything about this in the UMA Documentation PDF I have, and don't think there is any better documentation anywhere else, or is there??

If I only add Expression Player to UMA, sliders definitely don't seem to do anything (while game running and using my preferred Controller). So, based on some posts I saw, I chose Locomotion with Head Controller and added Expression Player (while game still running), and I saw sliders going crazy, but don't think I am seeing anything reflected on the character's face.

Looks like you should be able to "Save To Clip". So maybe you "record expressions", somehow, and then play back the clip later??

BTW, I see some other components with "Expression" or "Expression Player". Do I have to add additional components to get this to work? Oddly, I also just discovered that there is an Expression Player component and an UMA Expression Player, which appear to have same Editor options! Until now, I have only tried using "Expression Player". Maybe I should be using the other one??

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

There's no special hierarchy besides the root/global/position, which you already have. So the problem is somewhere else.
    Did you import your mesh as a humanoid, and setup the avatar in the mecanim avatar configuration? Did you create the T-Pose after the avatar was created? Did you assign the new T-Pose to your race?
    There is something broken here. If it's complaining about bones that are not found, that is usually in the T-Pose asset.