Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Bantichai

Bantichai

Ya you right, I just checked too so for future reference 2.10.1 is the latest version prior to 2019.4 being a requirement.

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

I recall only minor issues upgrading from 2019.2 to 2019.4. I recommend to upgrade if possible.

hopeful likes this.
  3. Nutue

Nutue

Hello,
    So let's say I have two blendshapes, one of them is fat other one is more muscular. According to what I know is I should add two different wardrobe items for both of my blendshapes but I also wanted to let players decide to stay on 0,4 value like if we say 1 is muscular and 0 is fat, what I mean is they could have stay on a little bit muscular but more fat or vice versa. The thing that I'm not sure about is do UMA is capable of to fit my wardrobe item to 0,4 value of my blendshape? Or is it have to be 0 or 1?
    I will appreciate any help, thank you.

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

You will not need two different wardrobe items. You will need one wardrobe item that has both blendshapes. Any value for both blendshapes are supported.

Nutue likes this.
  5. Nutue

Nutue

Oh, I get it now. Thank you very much for your quick reply.

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Note: You don't have to use Blendshapes. They're easier if you have just a few blendshapes, and a few wardrobe items, but if you start to get more of both, you might consider using bone deformations instead.

Nutue likes this.
  7. laoshi3

laoshi3

Hey! Thanks for that great asset, we rea about to use it for hachathon game.
    Tho I've been seeing that UMA ingame character editor but their current page seems dead. Does it still supports UMA or it's out of date?

Jaimi likes this.
  8. Jaimi

Jaimi

There are several sample scenes to work with - it's not too complicated to make a character creator with UMA, but of course everyone's needs are different.

9. arteria

arteria

As a thank you for the recent interest in Arteria's UMA products, for two days I would like to offer a 60% discount on all UMA products. To view our range, please visit the Arteria UMA Collection below

Thank you to the UMA team too, for continued support

https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/collections/uma

hopeful likes this.
  10. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hello all. I'm just curious... when creating a totally new race for UMA 2, do we still need to have the global and position bone? I'm asking because I saw a 3 year old video about needing it. But when I checked the UMA wiki it doesn't mention needing the "global" and "position" bones.

I'd just like to know before I go into blender modifying all my rigs lol.

11. arie1994

arie1994

I scale limbs and neck to zero of normal characters to hide for firs person or fake dismemberment, but uma doesn't let me.Is there a way to do it anyway ?

12. OfficialSiem

OfficialSiem

Thanks for making such an awesome asset! How are you? I hope as the pandemic subsides, your troubles will too.

Currently, I'm wondering how I could solve my freshly imported FBX's issue. I've skipped around Secret Anorak's 301 series, and saw how different the UI is.

In your own way, could you tell me where my model's issue is (as in, would I need to name a bone specifically Root)?

Also, if I'm stuck in the future, where can I go for UMA documentation? It looks like the Wiki I have (UMAWiki (secretanorak.com)) is a bit dated, but perhaps there's another link to newer documents?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMA.UMAMeshData.FindRoot (UnityEngine.Transform rootBone, UnityEngine.Transform[] bones) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:591)
    UMA.UMAMeshData.UpdateBones (UnityEngine.Transform rootBone, UnityEngine.Transform[] bones) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:533)
    UMA.UMAMeshData.RetrieveDataFromUnityMesh (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer renderer) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:423)
    UMA.SlotDataAsset.UpdateMeshData (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer meshRenderer, System.String rootBoneName) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/SlotDataAsset.cs:281)
    UMA.Editors.UMASlotProcessingUtil.CreateSlotData (System.String slotFolder, System.String assetFolder, System.String assetName, System.String slotName, System.Boolean nameByMaterial, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer slotMesh, UMA.UMAMaterial material, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer seamsMesh, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] KeepList, System.String rootBone, System.Boolean binarySerialization, System.Boolean calcTangents) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Editor/Scripts/UMASlotProcessingUtil.cs:249)
    UMA.Editors.UmaSlotBuilderWindow.CreateSlot_Internal () (at Assets/UMA/Core/Editor/Scripts/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:383)
    UMA.Editors.UmaSlotBuilderWindow.CreateSlot () (at Assets/UMA/Core/Editor/Scripts/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:326)
    UMA.Editors.UmaSlotBuilderWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/UMA/Core/Editor/Scripts/UmaSlotBuilderWindow.cs:212)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at <5ad584e208e14caaa9e6b2e6027e9204>:0)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at <5ad584e208e14caaa9e6b2e6027e9204>:0)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at <5ad584e208e14caaa9e6b2e6027e9204>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.SendEventToIMGUIRaw (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, System.Boolean canAffectFocus, System.Boolean verifyBounds) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.SendEventToIMGUI (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, System.Boolean canAffectFocus, System.Boolean verifyBounds) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.CallbackEventHandler.HandleEventAtTargetPhase (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.MouseCaptureDispatchingStrategy.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ApplyDispatchingStrategies (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, System.Boolean imguiEventIsInitiallyUsed) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEventQueue () (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.OpenGate () (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcherGate.Dispose () (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.UnityEngine.UIElements.IUIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr, System.Boolean& eventHandled) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIEventRegistration.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIEventRegistration+<>c.<.cctor>b__1_2 (System.Int32 i, System.IntPtr ptr) (at <08270fb28ecf479b927dcf4fe817bc07>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr, System.Boolean& result) (at <00a477ed1abf4030be646c3244bd3667>:0)

Attached Files:

13. andrew210

andrew210

I'm having some trouble with Addressables when i switch build target to Android, specifically:

- Create empty game object
    - Add Dynamic Character Avatar
    - See error of "Recipe Data has not been generated" in "UMA Data"

This can be remedied by:

- Changing build target away from android (iOS and PC tested)
    - Deleting Addressables

Is this a known issue / has someone had this problem before? My current plan of action:

- try to fix the bug myself
    - failing that: convert it so it works with asset bundles instead of Addressables

Edit: After a few hours of hacking at this, it appeared to be happening because UMAGeneratorBuiltIn was firing GenerateSingleUma() before slot data was being initialised

I've done a hacky solution of checking whether the UMAData IsValid before considering to run GenerateSingleUma().

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  14. hecali_aj

hecali_aj

Hello! Is there any way to apply the changes done in the DNA while in runtime without calling "BuildCharacter"? I was wondering why is it so slow if it's done through code but it's quite fast when using the sliders in the editor.

The way that I change the DNA values is to just do:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. dna["weight"].Set(value);
    Granted, I'm calling it almost every frame because I want the transition to look smooth, and I'm also changing about 50+ DNA values, but it's lagging since I have to call BuildCharacter() every time to apply the changes.
    Can anyone guide me to the best approach for this?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  15. hopeful

hopeful

Looks like questions are piling up here. If you have access to the Discord server, you might get answers there.

I've never invited anyone to a Discord before, but maybe this link will work: https://discord.gg/FSgPhJ6R

(Link valid for 7 days after this posting.)

andrew210 and hecali_aj like this.
  16. ChrisTian16WAs

ChrisTian16WAs

I'm having a issues with Uma unity says its missing a template folder in the script folder

17. hopeful

hopeful

Probably someone is going to need more information, like your Unity version, UMA version (latest?), and what the missing file is (error message).

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

Ouch! I'm not getting notifications again. I must have missed one. Discord is definitely the fastest way to get support.

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

You still need these bones. In addition, the mesh should not be a child of the rig.

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

You should break those out into a separate renderer using the UMARendererAsset. Then you can enable/disable the specific renderer as needed. There is a sample scene that shows how to do this - turn off the head for first person view, but turned on for shadows/reflections.

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

This error happens when the mesh is a child of the armature. This causes the root to be the mesh instead of a "root" bone (that is automatically generated).

The documentation is in the UMA folder.

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

BuildCharacter does a lot more than adjust DNA - it's best to avoid it unless you need to recreate the character.

In your case, you need to call "ForceUpdate(true);" to just apply the DNA. That will be much quicker.

hopeful likes this.
  23. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Hi,

I am using the UMA Random Avatar script and after the character is generated, I call a method using the event provided (Random Avatar Generated GameObject, GameObject). The script looks at the generated race so I can do certain things. I need the race (sex) so I can build out some other things for that NPC. Sometimes they are male, sometimes female.

umaava.GetComponent<DynamicCharacterAvatar>().activeRace.racedata.name

The problem is this appears to not always be populated yet when this event is called. I assumed this would be set and ready after character generation.

I even tried moving this code to the actual prefab on its CharacterCreated event and is still an issue there (sometimes).

24. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

After looking at the code, I can see the randomize function in UMARandomAvatar does not happen till after that event is invoked which explains it, but not sure why CharacterCreated does not always work. It seems like CharacterCreated intermittently does not get invoked at all?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  25. Jaimi

Jaimi

The UMARandomAvatar should generate a "RandomAvatarGenerated" event, that will give you the game object for the character. From there you would need to hook into the "CharacterUpdated' event. CharacterCreated is only called once, so if you pool characters, you will miss it. CharacterUpdated is called every time (even the first time).

26. Jaimi

Jaimi

When pulling the raceData from the ActiveRace, you should use the "data" property - that will populate the raceData if it doesn't exist. But if you are just looking for the name - use activeRace.name, that will avoid the issue altogether.

27. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Thanks!!

28. dreamhst7

dreamhst7

Hi,

I can't create clothes for my cowboy. I followed the instructions on youtube:
    UMA 201 - Part 3a: Preparing Pre-Rigged Clothing
    UMA 201 - Part 3b: Vertex Wrangling
    UMA 201 - Part 4: Rigging Clothing Models
    UMA 201 - Part 5: Converting Clothing Models

The final view from blender (I tried to create only the trousers and the shoes)
    Cowboy_blender.PNG

That the result in Unity:
    Cowboy_unity.PNG
    What am I doing wrong?

29. dreamhst7

dreamhst7

I found the answer! Thanks! This was due to the axis settings.

hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  30. duartedd

duartedd

Anyone know how to add equipping items to the UMADCA ? It sounds like I
    ...create a bone rig and add it to the hand if its one handed each (sword and shield) what would i do if its 2 handed?
    one large bone rig connecting the hands ?

then i need to script it by adding removing respectively?

and another thing.... how does one grab the a 2d version of the models to make an icon slot of it ? when i drag and drop the item into the scene it doesnt display the actual looking gear - it looks more unrendered and doesnt seem to have the right textures or something. Anyone know how to get those textures on the prefab so that the items look the same with the slot/recipe?

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

While you could certainly make slots/recipes and equip them like wardrobe items, you don't have to go to all that trouble.

You can just check the box on the generator "Save/Restore ignored items", and then put the UMAIgnore TAG on anything, and mount it. There is a helper component "UMAMountedItem" included.

See the "MountingObjectsExampleScene" scene. The top two buttons on the right use the UMAMountedItem.

If you use UMAMountedItem and the checkbox above, then the mounted item will survive complete rig rebuilds.

32. duartedd

duartedd

Awesome thanks alot! that's perfect - then i can just figure out how to do the 2 handed hold.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to do slot icons for the 3d item?
    I found a 3d to 2d screenshot converter so my best thought is to make everything except for the item i am capture and thatll be turned into a 2d shot of the scene which will just be like the boots or something

if anyone knows a magic button /script though that will just take the model and add the textures like how the recipe does or something i can use that - or if there is a better way?

33. iPodder2

iPodder2

Hey folks, having a strange issue with the female characters in UMA2. It only happens on some projects too! There's some graphical glitches in the chest area.
    upload_2021-10-25_19-2-11.png
    If you look at the wireframe there is also clearly a protrusion that shouldn't be there:
    upload_2021-10-25_19-2-54.png
    On the Human Girl race, it is concave, which is also quite strange. Very possible that the other races also have subtle deformities, but this is the only one I've found so far. Adjusting the appropriate DNA doesn't do anything, the protrusions shrink/grow in proportion.

Steps to reproduce:
    • Create a new Universal Render Pipeline project
    • Import UMA2 as usual from the Package Manager.
    • Create a Dynamic Character Avatar from the right click menu. At this point, the textures haven't been upgraded, but you can already see the deformities.
    • Upgrade the textures to URP as usual.
    Repeating these steps on a project that was created as a "3D" non-URP project first and then upgraded to URP does not produce any issues. Checking the Female_Unified.fbx and mesh look fine. I'm guessing something else (blendshapes?) weren't imported properly, but in neither case did I fiddle with the import settings after import.

34. Ozziefire

Ozziefire

Got this UI bug in latest version from Unity store. It happens every 2nd or 3rd time I change something in the wardrobe part.
    Is there a UMA Discord somewhere?

Attached Files:

35. codingSince666

codingSince666

Hi im new, following the vids from your site, why am constantly getting error
    after dragging UMADynamicCharacterAvatar to the scene?
    Unity 2021.2.0f1

36. codingSince666

codingSince666

i also tested 2021.1.0 and 2020.3.0 which is an LTS, i got bugs in both of them, and errors with nulls, as i follow through the tutorial

do i have to use 2017 to be compatible with this asset? whats the lastest compatible version?

37. Thufir21

Thufir21

Hello. I'm running into a problem with a wardrobe recipe I'm setting up for multiple races.

I've create 4 custom races (all with custom meshes) that should all be able to share the same wardrobes.
    I've assigned all 4 races to be Compatible Races in the wardrobe recipe.
    When I create a wardrobe recipe for Shoes, then tell it to Hide Base Slot(s): Feet - the recipe will select other random base slots like Mouth, Head, etc.

However, if I only assign 2 Compatible Races to the recipe - everything works as expected. It's only when I assign 3 or more Compatible Races to the recipe that this problem occurs.

I've even tried opening the wardrobe recipe file in Visual Studio, deleted any unwanted base slots, and saved. But the recipe will remain unchanged.

I'm currently on 2021.2

Any advice?

Thank you.

38. hopeful

hopeful

You should be fine with a LTS version.

39. hopeful

hopeful

UMA Discord link (valid for 7 days): https://discord.gg/CP8KF7cF

Ozziefire likes this.
  40. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is caused by using a quality setting that does not have enough skinweights. Make sure that is set to at least 4. ie - it should be 4 or unlimited.

41. Jaimi

Jaimi

I have not seen this before. Can you post a callstack?

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

When the system first starts up, it should ask you to rebuild the library. Some people close that or say no. If you do that, or it never asked for some reason, be sure to open the global library window,and run the option to rebuild it from the file menu.

43. SUUNE

SUUNE

Hello.
    I'm using UMA simple LOD. Slot swapping working but... when slot get swapped then animation stutter - kinda like it goes back couple frames.
    Any idea how to fix it ?

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you sure it's just not taking a frame or two and missing an animation?
    You might try turning on "keep avatar" and "keep animator controller".

If you want to dig into the code, UMAGeneratorBase is responsible for saving and restoring the Animator State - "SaveAnimatorState" and "RestoreAnimatorState".

45. chrsjwilliams

chrsjwilliams

Hello all,

Would there be a reason why the Global Library would empty itself? We are currently in development and every so often we would have to drag in the indexable assets to add them to the index again.

46. Jaimi

Jaimi

There are times when the library needs to rebuild it's trees - it does this by flattening itself out to a list, and then recreating itself from that list. I've tried to catch every error that can happen during that process in 2.12, but it seems I may have missed one. Usually the problem is that something has been added to the library, and then the asset itself is deleted, and the library is unable to reference it's instantiated copy on the AssetItem, and this causes the rebuild process to break, but not always.

So the simplest thing is to only keep the items that you need in your project. And then choose the option to "Rebuild from project" - which will clear the library and add all indexable items to the library. This should clear up anything that is null.
    If you prefer not to do this, you can run the repair option on the file menu as well.

47. Nutue

Nutue

Hey, currently I'm having a similar issue:

-Add Skeleton DNA Converter to Dynamic DNA Converter Controller.
    -Click any other asset, game object, or just unselect the DDNAConverterController.
    -Select Dynamic Dna Converter Controller again.
    -Crash

I'm using Unity 2021.1.4f1 with HDRP. I followed this tutorial of Secret Anorak and I'm not sure if the tutorial is outdated and I should do something else to prevent the crash. I would appreciate any help to prevent this crash so I can keep working with UMA.

48. cratica

cratica

Great asset. I'm trying to do something specific with it but cannot find a way to do this and cannot find a forum with technical questions. Maybe someone on here can help? Or at least tell me where to ask such a question? Basically, I want to have control over the "complexion/smooth" wardrobe asset. This is the wardrobe item that makes the torso smooth rather than a muscled tone. Since this is just a texture swap or overlay, not sure how it's done but I would like to be able to fade the smoothness out in code so that I can control how toned the characters ab is. So start with smooth skin loaded, then in code, be able to adjust the opacity layer and show through to the toned/athletic texture. Hopefully that makes sense. If anyone knows how I can do this, I would appreciate it. Thx in advance

49. TonyLi

TonyLi

Jaimi likes this.
  50. Jaimi

Jaimi

You would do this with "color dna" and use it to fade the alpha of the color and Normal channels. It's a bit complex to setup. Requires having both overlays on the skin, and adjusting the alpha using shared colors. There is a sample DNA doing this exact thing though - look at the "elf or alien" DNA, on the DNA converter example race.

cratica and hopeful like this.