Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

You'll need to create a new one. There is some documentation in the main help file (in the UMA folder) that talks about creating UMAMaterials from Materials. But generally, create a material, create a UMAMaterial, assign the material to the UMAMaterial, and then create a "Channel" for the texture you want to change on the material.

hopeful likes this.
  2. vonSchlank

vonSchlank

Hello, can i duplicate an existing, prevoiusly created UMA character runtime? Seems like simple instantiating is not the way.

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

Look at the "How to" scenes. They show how to load/save a character, and how to load it into a new prefab, and how to load one completely in code. But in short, you can instantiate a prefab, and load it from a save string.

4. vonSchlank

vonSchlank

Great, thanks, i'll give it a shot.

5. Clariesu

Clariesu

I found that my blendshapekey could not be called by DNA.I thought my shapekey was lost, but I found it in slot.

6. Artanic

Artanic

I seem to have a weird problem. I did all the parts and unified mesh correctly and the character is created and works perfectly in the editor. But when I build the weighting along the seams of the meshes are incorrect when moving as part of the animation.
    Mesh_Error.jpg
    Is there a particular option to fix that or is this something to do with the model itself? Weighting is the same on both parts and unified, only using 4 bones in the project options. Doesn't happen when testing the unified model itself either.

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Does your DynamicCharacterAvatar have the "Load Blendshapes" checked?

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

So, what is likely happened is that the weighting is off on the "split" vertexes. The Seams Mesh doesn't fix that. However, I have added a new feature in the next version to "weld" slot parts together. Basically, copying boneweights, normals and tangents from the matching vertex. It will be a while before that is ready though.

Artanic and hopeful like this.
  9. Clariesu

Clariesu

thank you.

10. illus

illus

Hi everyone. Forgive me if this is a dumb question. Does UMA work on mobile? I am trying to build it for Android and get a bunch of errors. It's due to all the portions of code in "if Unity_Editor" statements. Is there a way to get rid of them not by rewriting the whole library?

11. Clariesu

Clariesu

I tried to use UMARandomizer, but I found that it seems to have to add Wardrobe Assets, not just random the human DNA.

12. george_abashidze

george_abashidze

@Jaimi hi, I converted my project to URP and uma materials are all purple

EDIT: I upgraded materials and everything is ok excluding hair materials, they still purple

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  13. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA should work fine on mobile. I know of several android projects (including quest/quest 2) that use it.

Things in the "#if UNITY_EDITOR" blocks should not build at all, so I don't know what is going on there, beyond maybe there's a typos or something in the line?

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

Ok - I will look into it, it's probably something that can be changed with just an "if" somewhere.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

For the hair materials, you will need to manually find those materials, and change the shader. The SpeedTree8 shader is probably the best for URP.

16. Centripetal

Centripetal

I'm working on making a new "race" with the UMA 2 asset. I have the entire model rigged in Blender. It animations fine there, but I get the following error when I try to create a new UMA slot: My model has a root node. I did not see where to specifically set it in the Mecanim T-pose screen.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMA.UMAMeshData.FindRoot (UnityEngine.Transform rootBone, UnityEngine.Transform[] bones) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:591)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  17. FJF61

FJF61

Hi,Jaimi,I have two questions: 1. How to add fabric system to character's clothes? In the example I see a prefab with cloth, where can I output the character uma with cloth as Prefab? 2: In UMA, after the role is changed to Humanoid mode, the Bone of clothes, such as skirt and hair, cannot play animation. How can I solve this problem?

18. Centripetal

Centripetal

I replaced my rig with the UMA rig which works. My guess is that it expects the "Global" and "Position" armatures.

hopeful likes this.
  19. illus

illus

Is it possible to export UMA race from one project and import it during runtime into another?

20. Paul-van-der-Laan

Paul-van-der-Laan

Is this still the advised method to make an UMA character look at something? I tried the Gaze Target, Gaze Weight and Gaze Mode options but when I set the Gaze Weight to >0, I get a lot of warning messages each frame and I don't see the character change it's gaze in any way:

I moved the corresponding gaze code lines in UMAExpressionPlayer.cs to a newly created OnAnimatorIK method which solves the warning messages but still nothing happens.

Should these options work or are these not implemented?

Also, when I enable the Jaw, Neck and Head overrides in the Expression Player, I get warnings such as:
    The checkboxes also become unchecked when running in editor. However, when I recheck those checkboxes during play mode, I am able to adjust the Jaw, Neck and Head, despite the warnings. Am I doing something wrong which causes the checkboxes to be unchecked?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  21. arteria

arteria

Arteria3d turns 17years old this month, and as a thank you we would like to offer a one-off special on our UMA content. Within our UMA Store pages, there are over 70 Costume sets, that all work with the latest UMA and will continue to be updated throughout, along with new content added.

Today we would like to offer our whole catalog of UMA costumes for just $59.99, payable via the link below

To check out the UMA costumes that are part of this deal, please see the following link to the main UMA home page for our UMA catalog
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/collections/uma

Then use the below link to purchase all at $59,99
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/products/arteria3d-17th-birthday-uma-special

Thank you to Jaimi and this wonderful community for all support over the years

Steve

22. the-egg-man

the-egg-man

Hi All, Can anyone PLEASE help me with getting my custom clothing for UMA working. I'm using Blender and Unity. I've been following Secret Anoraks videos on youtube. I've created a mesh of a top for the female UMA, I've managed to get it into Unity however when I drag the Wardrobe recipe onto my UMA the mesh is really messed up, the only clue I could find is in the UMA FAQ pdf, which reckons it's a Weight issue

"When I import my model, it looks right in the scene, but when the slot is added to the avatar, parts of it stretch off the screen, or down to the floor! This is usually a problem with weighting – specifically, weighting to a bone that does not exist. Review your vertex weightings in your application. Typically, you would do a “transfer weights” in Blender, or in 3ds Max, you would do a Skin Wrap. This would pull the weights from the base model to the new outfit. (Typically you would also need to tidy up the weighting using weight painting)."

I did a Transfer Weights and Made sure the clothing mesh had a Armature pointed at the Female Rig, then exported to FBX with recommended settings. I've been through the vertex groups in Blender and removed any weight on any groups that don't have the word "Adjust" in them (as the youtube tuts. state these are the only groups UMA uses for deforming) I also tried reducing the weights I was keeping a bit, but that made no difference.

What Can I do to fix this??

I can't include the files I'm using due to size limitations. I'm not getting any errors.

Please, please, please can someone help me?
    upload_2021-8-30_20-15-20.png
    T-Shirt test mesh in blender.

upload_2021-8-30_20-16-51.png
    What the T-shirt looks like being "worn" by the UMA

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

Did you apply all transforms on the shirt before saving?

Some of the bones used for adjustments don't have "adjust" in the name. Only when the bone is a duplicate does it say that - Spine1Adjust and Spine1, for Example.

If you delete all the vertex groups, and then transfer the weights, it should be correct.

24. the-egg-man

the-egg-man

Hi Jaimi,

I did apply all Transforms (By pressing Ctrl+A and applying all transforms) on the shirt before saving. I tried doing as you suggested but the same issue happens. I've tried to export this so many times now, It seems like a weight issue, but I don't understand it, I even tried taking all the weights off all the bones and the mesh was REALLY messed up, stretching right to the floor, this makes me think it could be some bone that doesn't exist being weighted. (As the FAQ suggests) but I have no Idea how to find that.

I don't get why it looks fine in blender, moves fine with the armature, the mesh alone in the scene in unity looks fine, but when I turn it into a slot using the slot builder and then place in on the UMA it's messed up, guess it must be something happening / I am doing during the slot building process.

25. thedetective456

thedetective456

Hi,

I was working on an FPS project, is it possible to break hands from humanoid rig? Then I'll setup a script to rename every single hand bone to names corresponding to generic rig to make a system similar to animation retargeting (I bought an asset with generic animations :( )

Thanks

26. Clariesu

Clariesu

Prompt error:Unable to claim UMAMeshData global buffers!
    What should I do?

27. doukisan

doukisan

Hi! I have a question!

Is it possible to set up a piece of clothing that has generic bones for dynamic animation? The model's rig would remain humanoid, but it would have some extra bones for physics simulation

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

All I can say is if you copy the weights from the Mesh, use the correct export parameters as specified in the content creation doc, and you have the quality settings set to 4 or more bone weights, it should work.

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

Probably easiest to do in a modeler. But generally, yes, but a lot of work.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

There should be another error before this one, that caused the meshbuilder to fail. The next build would then get this error.

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes. See the boneytail slot for an example.

32. FJF61

FJF61

Hi,Jaimi,I have two questions: 1. How to add fabric system to character's clothes? In the example I see a prefab with cloth, where can I output the character uma with cloth as Prefab? 2: In UMA, after the role is changed to Humanoid mode, the Bone of clothes, such as skirt and hair, cannot play animation. How can I solve this problem?

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

1. The cloth settings are now on the UMARendererAsset, I believe. I think SA has a video on setting up cloth.
    2. Generally, bones for clothes & hair are driven by physics. But if you need to drive them with the animator, you would normally create a layer, and play them on that layer. Animations can break when doing this unless you have matched the hierarchy exactly (so Unity knows how to find the bones). You can fix broken animations by correcting the hierarchy in the animation itself. A tool comes with UMA to help with this.

34. acMacav

acMacav

Hello again everyone, I have two interesting UMA errors today that I was hoping to have your advice on. I'm currently following Secret Anorak's "Creating New Races" series for UMA, which can be found here, and I'm getting caught up on getting the new UMA races that I'm creating actually running in the scene.

My first model was created in Daz, but I made sure to check all the settings and information related to the rig to ensure that it would be as close to the rig that he used during the video and even the rig that is included in the UMA content creation kit via github, as far as keeping the bone names just to avoid any problems. After all was said and done and I created the appropriate slots and recipes for this custom race, I attempted to run it through the scene only to get this error:

While there is visual indication of it showing up, it seems the whole mesh is constrained around one bone:

My second model as a test, just to see if I was missing something or doing something wrong, I edited the unified male character from the UMA content creation kit blender project in a similar way to the video and set up his slots and recipes, only to find on run that I didn't have the results I was expecting. While there was no console error, he still appeared microscopic with his facial animations disproportionate and having no body mesh.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing since I feel like I've followed most of the steps correctly up to this point, I assume its something I'm not doing right or missing with regards to the skeleton.

35. thedetective456

thedetective456

Hey a few days ago I had problems setting up FPS with UMA, finally found a cool working way :
    Step 1 :Make a script to copy transform position and rotation, example :
    Code (CSharp):
    2. for(int i = 0; i < sources.Length; i++)
    3. {
    4.         if(i != 0 || i != 20)
    5.         {
    6.                  targets[i].position = sources[i].position;
    7.                   targets[i].rotation = sources[i].rotation;
    8.          }
    9. }
    Step 2 : Align UMA hand bones perfectly with FPS Hand bones, then duplicate UMA hand bone then parent it to respective hand bones under FPS arms

Step 3 : Assign duplicated arm bones as "sources" to the code and UMA hand bones as target

Step 4 : Here index "20" corresponds to "RightHand" bone and "0" to "LeftHand", these bones are controlled using IK, except every other finger bones are controlled by script.

Step 5 : watch your UMA boi work with every FPS Anims out there :)

Result :

Hope this helps ;)

umutozkan likes this.
  36. Jaimi

Jaimi

When you configured the Avatar (on the import model), you set it as Humanoid, and you assigned all the bones in the rig section?

37. VR_Junkie

VR_Junkie

Hello, have a specific use case question that I'm hoping I can get help with. I have a game object with an animator. I am using the Male_UnifiedAvatar as the avatar of the animator and a custom animator controller. As a child of that game object I have DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs script that spawns the UMA. Because the animator is not on the same level as the script the UMA never spawns. Is there a way for me to get this to work?

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

Typically, Animations contain the "path" of the items animated. You would need to place it at the same level, or update the paths in the animation.

39. Paul-van-der-Laan

Paul-van-der-Laan

Do you use a Blend file or FBX file in Unity? I also just followed the Secret Anorak video tutorials and when I use Blend files in Unity, everything looks ok (incl animation preview in unity) until I add the clothing recipe to my UMA character, which makes the custom clothing look completely weird. When I tried exporting to FBX (using the export settings as mentioned in the youtube video description), things look good.

I'm working with Blender 2.93.4 , Unity 2020.3.15f1 and UMA 2.12.

Jaimi likes this.
  40. virtualpaul

virtualpaul

Hi,

Thanks for creating UMA. It looks really good.

I am wondering if UMA is tied legally to Unity.

Is it ok to port UMA to another graphic engine and use this port in a commercial game (without Unity)?

I am not even sure if anything can be reused except the concept, models and some data perhaps.

Also wondering how I would phrase the credits depending on what I actually reused.

41. VR_Junkie

VR_Junkie

Hello, following the previous commenter I just wanted to say thanks for making UMA and putting in so much work. It is such a great tool and a lifesaver honestly.

Now to my question haha, I have a reference to the UMA renderer that is getting lost on start. I have keep avatar on and keep animator on. Not sure what to do and hoping for some assistance

hopeful likes this.
  42. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA is released under the MIT license. Feel free to do with it what you will, as long as the license is adhered to. You can add credits "Thanks to the UMA Team" or not, up to you! :)

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

The renderer can be destroyed during the build process, so it's best to use the CharacterUpdated event to get any information that might be changeable.

44. hopeful

hopeful

Let me just add @virtualpaul that changes to open source programming are often shared with the community, so if you want to make additions to the existing code base, consider making your own branch of UMA on Gituhub and contributing that way. :)

45. Bantichai

Bantichai

Is there anyway to get the latest version of UMA that is still compatible with Unity 2019.2.21?

If there is too, what version would that be?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  46. Jaimi

Jaimi

All versions of UMA are available on GITHUB.

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA

Change the branch to the release branch you want and download. Or if you need a UnityPackage, you can get it from the release pages here:

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases

47. Bantichai

Bantichai

48. hopeful

hopeful

You're sure the current version of UMA doesn't work with it? If you've tried the latest UMA and are getting errors, let us know. That might help us figure out which version of UMA to use.

49. Bantichai

Bantichai

I'm getting errors yeah, I mean on the Unity store it requires 2019.4.19 or higher. 2.11 gets errors, I'm currently on 2.10. I figured it was a permanent change with UAS phasing out older Unity versions. It would be nice to know what version I can use otherwise I gotta manually go through every build past 2.10.

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

I think 2.10.1 is the last one that supports pre-2019.4 unity.

hopeful likes this.