Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. FJF61

FJF61

Hello.
    Last time I asked how to keep the bone rotating by itself, and you told me that in Race Data,by unchecking “Fixup rotations”.

After I did this, I ran it and found that the character was lying on the ground, the animation was wrong, and the character models were twisted together.Is there a better way to deal with this problem?

soumilrathi likes this.
  2. userVl

userVl

Hello,
    Could anyone add/link a full example of how to add cloth physics to a clothing item, for example the hoodie included in the example. I cannot manage to replicate the setup of the robe.

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

You have to do the entire race this way from scratch.

If you are just making clothing for the existing models, please see the sample files for 3dsmax, and follow that example.

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/content-pack/tree/master/ContentPack_1.1.0.1/MAX

4. Clariesu

Clariesu

I would like to know whether the material can be saved even if UMA I remove this script.

5. Vire7777

Vire7777

I m really sorry Jaimi but what are these videos (300 series, 200 series) you are talking about ?
    The only ones i know are from Secret anorak https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjIhCVu3eN5qLAX7H9Uo6jg
    I m trying to search but i can t find nothing else.

Also why arent you using the LOD for polygons ? I mean the textures are easy to implement thanks the the LOD script and i did it, but i think less triangles is also less memory loss, don t you think so ? or is it negligeable ?

an other question is, where can i change the mesh of a specific slot object ?
    like i have my object (les t say an axe). i create a less polygon one. how can i duplicate this object and then only change the mesh ? i see where are the textures (axe_overlay.asset) but i can t find where to replace the mesh by an other one

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

The videos are numbered (like university classes) - the playlists are here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/SecretAnorak/playlists

Less triangles is less memory, but it's not nearly as big a problem as texture memory usage.
    The LOD system is documented in the documentation in the "UMA Simple LOD" section. The documentation is in the UMA folder. It works off slot names --- Axe_LOD0, Axe_LOD1, etc.

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can save the textures using the context menu. Or you can convert the entire UMA (including textures and materials) to a non-UMA prefab using the "Prefab Maker" in the UMA menu.

Clariesu likes this.
  8. Clariesu

Clariesu

Have you posted a tutorial about UMA LOD, and I'm sorry I didn't find it.

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

No, but there is a section in the documention (in the UMA folder).

10. arteria

arteria

hopeful, TonyLi and Firlefanz73 like this.
  11. mahdiii

mahdiii

We use Uma for characters in our game (Shooting game)
    There are 30 characters in the game. Each character has three textures (Normal+Albedo+Specular)
    The textures are render texture
    Total memory = 30*3*5.3= 477 mb
    How can I reduce it?
    Some character textures like below are 512*2048 instead of 512*1024.
    Also, how can I reduce size of normal and specular textures separately?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  12. ABB13

ABB13

Hi, I'm having some troubles creating a new wardrobeslot.
    When I click "create slot" it shows me this error message:

ArgumentException: Path: ****/Shoes3_Skinned.prefab, does not exist
    UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.LoadPrefabContents (System.String assetPath) (at <b76552deb4624e46abeeb45b48b7f62d>:0)

P.S. I'm following this tutorial:

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

Code (csharp):
    2.             var skinnedResult = PrefabUtility.SaveAsPrefabAsset(newObject, SkinnedName);
    That's inside a Unity call, so I'm not sure what is going on there. It's like the saving is failing, for some reason. Have you checked all the permissions, etc?

14. ABB13

ABB13

ty for your reply.
    Sorry but How can I check if I had permissions and etc?

P.S. I found out a strange problem, when I try to open texture channel of any slots it opens and closes too fast without giving me time or the possibility to change anything.

UMA Recipe Editor created an UMAEditorContext to enable editing. This will auto delete once you have finished editing your recipe or you add the UMA_DCS prefab to this scene.
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)

I'm using Unity 2020.2.7f1

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  15. Jaimi

Jaimi

The open/close bug is a bug in the current unity versions. I believe it is fixed in the alpha. But I've worked around it in the develop branch on github if you don't want to wait for Unity to deliver an update.

When I say permissions - I'm referring to folder permissions. Is that the problem? I do not know. But for some reason, it believes that a skinned mesh renderer is there, but it can't save it.

ABB13 likes this.
  16. Jaimi

Jaimi

Do you get an error message or warning in the console?

17. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

I know that it is possible to have melee items(like a sword) integrated into UMA.
    But what about something like a bow where I still need access to the bow string?

18. Orbatrix

Orbatrix

Hello, guys. I'm facing the following issue:
    I'm building an application with which the user can take a photo of her/him-self and then it will build an UMA with a face that has to seems like to the user's one. When the photo is taken, an image processing algorithm calculates the facial landmarks points of the user and then, using the euclidean distance formula, I get some values such as mouth width, nose width, eye spacing etc, always relative to the user face.
    Now I wonder: how can I properly convert these values into UMA's DNA values, in order to create an avatar with facial features as much as possible similar to the user?
    Besides, is there a connection between exact body measurements, such those mentioned above (but also height, shoe size, etc) and the DNA values?

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

You would need to make an animation layer to drive the bones, and IK the hand to the string.
    But I recommend just using the provided tools to mount/dismount the weapon.

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

There is no correlation between DNA values and actual measurements. You will need to measure the changes, and make some sort of lookup or formula.

Orbatrix likes this.
  21. Orbatrix

Orbatrix

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, Jaimi! I'll work on that formula.
    Cheers!

Jaimi likes this.
  22. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

OK thanks for the info.
    Where can I find more information about the tools your are referring to?

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

There is a sample scene "MountingObjectsExampleScene" that shows the different ways to mount objects

24. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hello,

I use UMA for various character types in an FPS shooter. Passive Civilians, Friends and Enemies...All AI characters behaviors are controlled by my AI character Controller .

All works fine except one single issue that as a long shot I am asking here in case anyone might be able to help...

Here is the issue. I attach a weapon to a UMA...all works fine. Enemies will attack and shoot as they should. When they fire a weapon all is well except the "Weapon Fire Sound" range is not great enough so unless extremely close the player cannot hear the fire sound....

Anyone know if this may be related to a UMA sound range limitation or Not? If an enemy NPC Character is not an UMA then their Fire Sound plays at the correct indicated "Attack Shoot" range" as it should.

Hope that makes some sense. Thank you :)

Edit Update : OK I have sorted this now. As all of my Characters use my own system to instantiate a Muzzle Flash for weapons when fired (so an NPC can have any weapon with any associated shoot weapon effects) for UMA NPC Characters I have created Individual Muzzle Flash for each weapon and attached the Fire Sound to that. Works fine and fixed the issue.

Regards

Peter

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  25. hopeful

hopeful

There's nothing in UMA that should be affecting audio. It seems very likely this is some super simple thing with your audio source, mixer, and listener settings that you're overlooking. Keep looking at it and experimenting, and hopefully it will become obvious.

26. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi hopeful,

Thanks for the reply. Fixed the issue now as described above.

I have another issue if anyone can help?

As I have a game with a great deal of content and complexity and a lot of in game Characters, as with numerous other content I have to control wherever possible the amount of complexity and content in a given area and or view at any one time. i.e. in open worlds or Cities there's a massive amount of detail/content to handle at any one time. At the moment I am working in a 6 story building with around 70 rooms with a lot of detail and characters too inside. UMA characters abound :) Outside there is a City and its full of detail and much dynamic content which can be seen through the windows (glass). 6 stories up you can see a big world :)

Much of the content is "Zoned" and activated and deactivated as needed. 6 story building contents are activated and deactivated as one moves through the Floor levels up and down via a lift.....

I also activate and Deactivate the UMA Characters inside the building - but UMA is not really happy with Activation and Deactivation and returns a console error message relating to deleting objects (rather than activation/deactivation)...

The game still runs fine and ignores the console error message so I guess I could ignore it but could do without it. I understand one can load UMA content from folders though I need to have them unloaded (loaded/unloaded) and the the function repeated if necessary...thus I use activate and deactivate so content is displayed or not repeatedly as and when needed. Not sure that standard Unity activation/deactivation script actually deletes anything? I cant find "delete" in script.

Not sure if there's an easy solution?

No worries :)

Kind regards

Peter

27. waseku

waseku

Any way to make part of the body shadows only(hands, head)? for FPS full body awareness. Recipe hands hiding the real hands with some transparent overlay or something?

EDIT: looking for it 2 days found it 10 minutes after i post question :). I have to make additional slots with hands and assign ShadowOnlyRenderer on the slot

28. imjusthere

imjusthere

I'm getting a pink uma when I run my game. The materials aren't pink until I run the game. Then they get changed back into standard shaders for some reason.

If I go find the materials and check them they are set to use URP shaders. I've done the UMA>SRP>Convert to URP and EDIT>Render Pipeline>URP>Upgrade project materials to URP. What am I missing here?

29. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure how you are activating / deactivating, but generally it is wise to enable / disable the rendering component on the object as opposed to disabling the whole object. That way it can still respond to any AI type features without causing the GPU to render it.

Since a built UMA is just another skinned mesh, if you turn off the rendering component, it should be okay and ready to render again when you turn it back on.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

Lol, it happens to me too.

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

Several things can be wrong. If you are using addressables, and forgot to rebuild the addressable bundles after converting the materials, you will get this. Otherwise, the shaders are not being found for some reason.

32. arteria

arteria

33. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi hopeful,

That's an idea.

Thanks

Peter

34. Orbatrix

Orbatrix

Good morning, is there a way to get the height of a UMA? Let me clarify: are there two points of a UMA avatar, a top one and a bottom one, that if I calculate the euclidean distance of these two game objects, I get a some sort of height?

35. imjusthere

imjusthere

Yes I am using addressables. I built it to the device and the materials work properly. It's only in play mode that the materials are broken. Does that make any sense? Unfortunately I am testing in play mode most of the time and using the link cable.

36. Jaimi

Jaimi

Not really. You could get the position of the "RightToeBase" and the position of the "RightEyebrowUp", but you'll still be only "close" to the top of the head, and depending on scaling could be inaccurate to extrapolate from there.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Not sure... You might try changing the setting of "Strip UMAMaterials" in the preferences. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what is going on... Magenta materials indicate a shader is not found, or can't compile. Might be a caching issue.

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

All - UMA 2.12 RC1 is released here:

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/v2.12.rc1

What's new

Major changes
    • 10x increase in speed copying RenderTextures to Texture2D when using modern graphics API (DX11/12, PS4, OpenGL 4.3, OpenGL ES 3.1, Metal, etc.). This will free up enormous amounts of video RAM.
    • Added option (on by default) to slim down scene saved files that have UMA editor-time generated characters in them.
    • You can now add "Override DNA" to Wardrobe Recipes. These will be applied instead of the existing DNA.
    • You can now target specific races on slots in wardrobe recipes (in the tags dropdown).
    • If you edit a wardrobe item, recipe, slot, overlay or race, any edit time UMAs that use those will be regenerated, and any instantiated ones in the cache will be released so the Index will pick up the new versions immediately.
    • UMARandomizer will now allow you to set null slots, and weight them (so you have a chance of not adding anything)
    • Plugin system to add your own UI pieces into the recipe editor (IUMARecipePlugin)
    Additional changes and fixes
    • Ability to select items in the project from the Global LIbrary items menu.
    • Removed the T-Pose layer that was missing the animation mask.
    • Updated documentation on events, new slot builder features
    • Better logic when cleaning up the rig in the editor (only on race change, and only if "rebuild skeleton" is checked)
    • Moved some items out of examples that should have been in the core folders.
    • Fixed materials that were stripped when you rebuild addressable groups.
    • New option on shared colors to force update the shared color from the recipes (on the property block)
    • The Clear button in a wardrobe recipe will now ask "are you sure". Select cancel if you are not.
    • Cloth self-collision properties added to UMAClothProperties
    • Option to recalculate tangents in slot builder

umutozkan and hopeful like this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

Even in games that I've played, height seems tricky. The way I've seen it done is to have the character stand next to a height scale, so you can see what the height is as you mod the leg length, add a hat, etc.

Orbatrix and Jaimi like this.
  40. Orbatrix

Orbatrix

Thanks everyone for the reply. Yes, the height scale idea sounds really good. I think I'll try that!

Cheers!

41. Jaimi

Jaimi

All - UMA 2.12 RC2 is released here:

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/v2.12.rc2

In addition to several minor bug fixes, this adds:

Experimental support for multiple bone chains in UMAJiggleBone

Experimental support for saving and restoring regular mounted items between builds. To use, add the "UMAIgnore" tag to the object and turn the option on in the generator.

New menuitem in Global Library to apply selected races to selected wardrobe items.

When creating a prefab using the prefab maker, UMA will now detect detail normal maps, and will also mark all normal maps as normal maps in the import settings, so you don't get the "normal map" dialog.

Fixed issue in addressables caused by out of order calling of events and actions in new addressable library

hopeful likes this.
  42. ABB13

ABB13

I fixed the open/close bug updating unity to a newest version, but now everytime I play my first scene (where there is no UMA character) it shows me this error multiple times:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMA.Editors.CharacterBaseEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Buddy/UMA/Core/Editor/Scripts/CharacterBaseEditor.cs:1885)
    UMA.Editors.RecipeEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Buddy/UMA/Core/Editor/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/RecipeEditor.cs:79)

43. brendenguy

brendenguy

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a solution as of yet. I am trying to figure out how to hide specific UMA body parts programmatically. My player controller allows for switching between first person and third person modes and the head is getting in the way of the camera in FPS mode. I saw some posts referencing the UMARenderer examples for how to do this, but that example scene is broken for me (I'm using URP) and it doesn't make much sense to me anyway.

Is there some documentation available somewhere for how exactly to do this? If so, would someone please link me to it? Thanks.

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

That's in the overlay section of the editor. I'm not really sure what happened when you upgraded, but it's likely that your UMA_GLIB prefab in the scene is messed up. You might try to replace it with the prefab from the "Getting Started" folder.

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

There isn't a step by step on how to do this. But take a look at the UMADynamicCharacterAvatar. It has a "DCA Renderer Manager" on it. That has a set of "Render Elements". The example only has one "Render Element".

A Render Element says to take the slots and wardrobe items that are specified (in the "Slot Assets" and the "Wardrobe Slots"), and break out a separate renderer for each "Renderer Asset", and draw those in those renderers.

So in this case, the Head/Eyes/Inner Mouth, and any equipped helmet, are NOT drawn on the main renderer. Instead, UMA will generate two new SkinnedMeshRenderers, and assign these to those renderers. The "MirrorLayerRendererAsset" sets one of the renderers to render only in the mirror layer. The ShadowOnlyRendererAsset sets the other new renderer to render only in the shadow pass.

So you get three SkinnedMeshRenderers - one without the head, which draws a shadow and mirror. And one with the head, which draws on the mirror, and one with the head that only casts shadows.

46. Orbatrix

Orbatrix

Hello, guys
    I have an overlay as wardrobe recipe that is the face I want for my UMA.
    Now I wonder: is there a way to access the color of this overlay, as RGB value? My goal is to set the skin of the UMA with the same RGB value of this face overlay, in order to make that that this face looks like a natural part of the avatar as much as possible.

47. Sybaris

Sybaris

Hi everybody,

I downloaded the asset "Fantasy Garment for UMA" (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/clothing/fantasy-garment-for-uma-159469) from the asset store but all the characters in the demo only wear underwear. Whenever I try to use something from this asset, it doesn't seem to work. (Mostly the error message says that the "slot data" can't be found.)
    Any idea what I have to do to make this work?
    It seems as if the package has to be initialized somehow...?
    Thanks in advance!

48. hopeful

hopeful

Use the sampler tool that comes with the color picker?

I get the impression you'll need to do some work in GIMP / Photoshop tho.

49. Orbatrix

Orbatrix

Well, I need to to this programmatically, because the overlay is created at runtime and so has to be "colored" the UMA skin.

50. hopeful

hopeful

I think I understand. It sounds difficult. If you get it solved, it might help other UMA users in a similar situation.