Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

Sorry - I honestly don't know, you would have to check with them. Maybe just putting that the female base model is MIT in the description is good enough?

2. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Did some searching and found this:

Copyright <YEAR> <COPYRIGHT HOLDER>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

But I do not want my clothing subject to the MIT licence.

Suggestions welcome, on the correct format to upload a .blend file to sketchfab that includes the MIT licenced male or famale uma base meshs.

I am not thinking of selling, just displaying my clothing on the UMA. Maybe thats ok??

3. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Finally got a decent render: https://ibb.co/svv51Dt

Though it would be better if you could view in sketchfab.

4. mick129

mick129

I am completely new to UMA's logic but before I start speeding more time on it I would like to know if it is possible to use custom shaders on the characters?

If no, is it possible to give the UMA characters a more cel-shaded or stylized look with the current shader?

Thank you! :)

Edit: found the answer while browsing into the forum and the answer seems that yes I can use a custom shader, which is great !

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  5. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can always use and sell whatever you make with the UMA models. The only thing you can't do is claim ownership of the base race models, they fall under the MIT license. You don't need to distribute the MIT license with anything except source code, and only the original source (models/code) fall under the license. It's very permissive, go crazy, upload stuff, have fun.

I only suggest that to follow the letter of the license, if you distribute the base, unmodified female race, then you need to include a disclaimer that that particular model/texture is under the MIT license. Your stuff is never under that license, unless you choose it to be. If you're only displaying stuff, then again, you don't need to include the license.

This license is here just to prevent someone else from claiming ownership of the source. That's all.

hopeful and colpolstudios like this.
  6. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

This might be helpful:

mick129 and Jaimi like this.
  7. mick129

mick129

Thanks, I was currently watching the tutorial serie 101 :)

8. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

9. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Hi, I am having issues with the uma material.

Uma_mat_diffuse_normal_specular when I run the scene I have to change these elements.

normal strength 0.61

spec highlights and reflections both off.

If I do not change all of the clothing is very shinny.

Here is a screen sot of the clothing with the changes in unity:

https://ibb.co/zrwcNgH

I cant at the moment figure out how to make these changes apply to the uma material asset. I can only do it at runtime.

possibly I need to create a new material in a similar fashion if I wanted a cartoon shader?

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

Select the UMAMaterial, and then double click the material to it uses as a template. Then you can adjust any parameters in there you want, and it will be applied to everything that uses it. Typically this is a problem with the texture channels though -- usually the alpha channel in the normal map, I think.
    Of course, you can create your own material and UMAMaterial, and it will work just fine.

11. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

id rather create my textures correclty, can I simply add alpha when creating my normal map in blender?

In the end, I had no choice but to follow the tutorial but make my own material. however, I updated all of my textures to add the alpha layer. This time I only needed to adjust two aspects "smoothness" now at 0.062 and no emission.

I also updated elements within the head scarf to allow for hair :)

in order to gain control of the normal, I had to select a normal texture and add only this to the new material.

As per instructions on the video, I left the others blank. According to the video tutorial, these elements will be over_written by the overlay slot.

But when I added a normal map texture, I just picked a random one, I had the ability to adjust the scale used.

This extra step gave me contol in regard to the normal map settings.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  12. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA 2.11 Alpha 2 is released.

Minimum Unity version is now 2019.4 (due to skin weight support)

UMA 2.11 is a major update. This includes the following major features:

• in-editor customization and generation of UMAs, and a preset system.
    • Easy prefab creation.
    • Support for more than 4 skin weights per bone.
    • Rotation and scaling of additional overlays in recipes.
    • Improved performance of generating UMA characters
    • Wildcard slots to match overlays to slots based on tags and races.
    • Backup and restore of Global Library
    • New events when items are equipped/unequpped.
    The full list of changes, and a .unitypackage for install, is available here:

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/v2.11.a2.0

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    P_Jong, Alic, umutozkan and 3 others like this.
  13. mick129

mick129

I'm starting my character creation using UMA and I am more than satisfied, this is amazing!

I manage to change mostly everything I want but is there a list of string somewhere I could use? I'm currently guessing most of them and it take a certain amount of time.
    The only one I could not manage to find is how to change the colors of the eyes.

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

There is a shared color "Eyes" - to change a shared color, call avatar.SetColor("colorname", theColor);
    There are several versions of SetColor that give you more control when you are creating your own races. But that will work for the built-in race.

15. mick129

mick129

That was fast, thanks!

Jaimi likes this.
  16. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Hi, just a quick update on my own progress with UMA and creating clothing.

The shawl is single-sided this was a design choice :)

P_Jong likes this.
  17. Jaimi

Jaimi

Looking good!

On the shawl, that's an easy fix in blender if you're interested. Just go into edit mode, face selection, select the faces, use mesh/duplicate, and then mesh/normals/flip. Re-export and rebuild the slot.

hopeful and colpolstudios like this.
  18. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

This lady is depicted as an old, for my needs. She is a npc and you will never get close enough to see this.

Me, just being picky.

I dont need those extra details so, I dont have them.

She is not a key character in what im developing, but like a real person, she has a part to play with her own personality.

I have in my mind how each character should be, hope that makes sense?

With each small step, I without any formal training am getting much closer to my dream.

UMA, is at the heart of my developement, I just wish I found it much earilier.

Thank you so much for your time and effort with all that you do.

umutozkan likes this.
  19. Jaimi

Jaimi

hopeful likes this.
  20. arteria

arteria

UMA Sale on today on the Arteria3d site -- Over 70% Discount through the next 24 hours only.
    Any customer who purchases ten costumes will receive a costume item for Uma created for them

https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/collections/uma

TonyLi and Jaimi like this.
  21. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Jaimi, I use a separate unity project when creating my new Uma clothing content.

I use a separate folder within my assets directory, this is outside of the Uma folder.

I am unsure of the correct way to export the unity package and what things. I actually need to include for the export.

I also plan on using DK_UMA at a later point an I'm unsure if my new content would be upgraded to this format, do have any information on this? Its a bit confusing, and Im unsure of the correct setup.

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

I keep everything I want together in a single folder, and then export that folder. You have to be sure to turn off the checkbox "include dependencies" because that will mess everything up. You will need any "SlotDataAsset", "OverlayDataAsset", Textures, and any wardrobe recipes. If you created any specific UMAMaterials, you will need that also.

I've actually never used DK_UMA. I know some people do because it has integrations for other products, but I just don't have any experience with it.

colpolstudios likes this.
  23. hh3000

hh3000

Hi all,
    I'm new to UMA and I'm looking for male and female outfits from the Victorian era, 1860's.I'm prepared to pay for custom work. Also is it possible to make anthropomorphic characters using UMA ? Like hares or rabbits.

24. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Arteria3d is your best option :)

There is a horse

But no download.

I am creating clothing but it's for my own specific needs 1916 Dublin.

arteria likes this.
  25. arteria

arteria

I would be glad to offer my services here.

26. arteria

arteria

Really appreciate your support here.

27. arteria

arteria

New Release for UMA 'Jane & John' FREE BaseRace

upload_2020-11-18_17-15-54.png

Bronze Age Male & Female Costume Pack.

The 'Bronze Age Male & Female Costume Pack ' costume is designed the 'FREE' 'JANE & John' Avatar that you can download free from the Asset store for use with UMA in unity.

Pack Contains:

• Male Costume
    • Cloak
    • BodyWrap
    • Shoes
    • Belt
    • Leggings
    • Female Costume
    • Skirt
    • Bracelets
    The pack can be purchased for $18.99 from Arteria3d
    Visit page below

https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/collections/uma/products/bronze-age-male-female-for-uma-jane-john

28. arteria

arteria

New Release today, this time the start of our 'Victorian Era' Costume Sets.

The 'UMA Victorian Costume Pack ' costume is designed using the 'FREE' 'JANE & John' Avatar that you can download free from the Asset store for use with UMA in unity.

Pack Contains:

• Male Costume
    • Hat
    • Jacket with Shirt & Tie
    • Trousers
    • Shoes
    • Female Costume
    • Dress
    • Hat
    • Feather Accessory for Hat
    • Jewel Accessory
    Pack can be purchased from the Arteria3d Website -

https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/collections/uma/products/uma-victorian-lady-gent

29. hh3000

hh3000

30. leapp

leapp

can i adjust the order of Diffuse Texture decal order?

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

Overlays are applied to the character in the order of the slots on the race.

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA 2.11 Alpha 3.1 released

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/v2.11.a31

Whats new in 2.11

New minimum Unity version 2019.4

Alpha 3.1
    Several bugfixes with skeleton building fixed.

Alpha 3
    New faster build method without coroutines ("No coroutines" on generator).
    Skeleton is now removed during racechange in generator, not build process.
    Can now specify bones to keep when building slots. (for mount points, etc)
    On UMAMountedItem, will not set an ignore layer on itself, so it doesn't get deleted in some cases
    New normal detail map merge method (works with URP/HDRP)
    Slot builder can now auto-name slots based on materials
    Numerous bug fixes on skeleton updates
    Please note: to see speed gains, you must build your application. They may not be evident in the editor.

Alpha 2.1 (Bugfix Update)
    Fixed bone cleanup at edit-time generation (was not needed and caused reference issues in scripts).
    Fixed UMAMountedItem so it would not create new mountpoints every time the editor started up.
    Fixed "Add All" DNA button not doing anything
    Fixed Color DNA not applying correctly after the first time in editor
    Fixed some possible null refs in Physics Avatar
    Fixed some possible null refs in UMASkeleton

Alpha 2
    Added scaling to UMAMountedItem
    Forearm Twist slot script will now let you set the names of the bones
    Fixed issue in randomizer that would cause it to break
    Added support for more than 4 boneweights. Can now use as many boneweights as you like.
    Reworked the SkinnedMeshCombiner to use the new boneweights, resulting in a speed improvement in release build.
    Added ability to transform (scale and rotate) an overlay in a recipe.
    Fixed error in build when edit-time UMA's were used in scene.

Alpha 1
    DynamicCharacterAvatar
    UMA characters are now visible at edit time (can be disabled)
    Made an edit time DNA editor, combined with colors and wardrobe under "customization".

Added UpdateBounds() function.
    Added load/save preset in the editor.
    Default colors are now white/black for the various colors on the race.
    New events: WardrobeAdded and WardrobeRemoved.

UMAMountedItem
    New object to make mounting simpler. Add this to an object you want to make mountable. Specify the bone you want to attach it to, and any offset/rotation. Will automatically attach and process, and survive rebuilds.

SlotData
    New: Wildcard slots. This is a type of utility slots that can be added to recipes, which allows you to place overlays onto slots (or other overlays) based on tag. So you can place an
    overlay onto a "Torso" without knowing the actual slot ID, just the tag. This allows you to reuse recipes for slots that have the same UV coordinates.

Slotbuilder
    Made blender slot rotation fixup optional.

Global Library
    Functions (and menu items) to backup and restore the Global Library.
    Made the Build Preprocessor optional (off by default)

Misc
    Fixed some possible warnings during overlay generation.
    Fixed race loading in editor so it does not need to instantiate the race to get slots
    Lot of minor issues where assumptions were made in code that occasionally weren't true.
    URP conversion option will convert hair to use Speedtree8 shader

DCARendererManager
    Added option EnableRenderers to turn on/off the renderer manager for toggling between first and third person.

33. arteria

arteria

New Arteria3d Release

Second release in our 'Bronze Age Series'

The 'Bronze Age Male & Female Costume Pack 'B' ' costume is designed for the 'FREE' 'JANE & John' Avatar that you can download free from the Asset store.

Pack Contains:

• Male & Female Costume
    • Cloak
    • BodyWrap
    • Belt
    • Shoes
    Pack can be purchased from Arteria3d, and will soon be available on the Asset Store

Pack Link to Purchase at just $19.99
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/col...of-bronze-age-male-female-b-for-uma-jane-john

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Gervais60 likes this.
  34. prawinb

prawinb

Hi, I am creating character prefab by using UMA in runtime and saving it. But, in UMA renderer object, I am not able to save Material property properly. I know there is UMA power tool available for creating character prefab. But without using UMA power tool, is there any way to create character prefab. Please help.

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

in 2.10 (and earlier), you need to save it to a character file - there's a walkthrough here:

http://umadocs.secretanorak.com/doku.php?id=knowledgebase:creating_a_customizable_prefab

in 2.11+ (on the way), you just drag it into a folder like normal.

hopeful likes this.
  36. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, I'm trying to use transparent overlays to add eyebrows to my character's face, but I found that the eyebrow overlays are badly blended (using cutout method) on the character's face, I wonder if there is a way to use alpha blending according to overlay's alpha channel to add new textures/pixels on the original base texture?
    If so, any suggestions on where should I add a new shader for the texture atlas generation? I know how to perform an alpha blending pixel calculation, but don't know how UMA uses the shaders, will need some suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Any overlay added on top of an existing overlay will blend either according to the alpha channel of the overlay itself, or the alpha channel of the alpha mask if one exists (the alpha mask is a seperate field under "additional parameters"). They don't ever use cutout blending. My guess would be the resolution of the texture is lower than what you expect, either because the "initial scale factor" is not 1, or your textures are being downscaled due to running out of space on the atlas.
    In some cases, it is best to create a slot that floats "just above" the face, and put your overlays on that. UMA ships with a slot like this for eyebrows, so you can just create overlays for it, and use that if you use the example races.

38. marwood82

marwood82

is there somewhere that has a bunch of set poses for hands that works with uma?
    ive been messing about with a test project but im very new to unity animations ive got some decent results with mixamo so far. however i want to set the finger positions of an uma depending on button presses from oculus touch controllers.
    i figure transitioning between different set poses makes sense as this needs to work multiplayer with photon
    so does anyone know if there are any hand poses available? open hand, pointing, fist, thumbs up etc? and where to find them?

39. Jaimi

Jaimi

There are some on the asset store:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/animations/handy-poses-120734#description

40. marwood82

marwood82

Jaimi likes this.
  41. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Sometimes it takes me a little longer than others to get to a point to try something revolutionary out.

I have started to use the Polyphemus asset, I would ideally like to use this asset in my development.

However, I require some help.

How do I actually set up my Uma within the scene?

42. fabrykasoftu

fabrykasoftu

Hi UMA community,

I'm trying to convert the existing 3d model to create my first UMA recipe.

In Blender it looks fine, it's rigged with UMA, I've applied basic animation following 201 series, weights seem to be there.
    upload_2020-12-6_14-9-37.png

I'm importing Blender file into Unity.
    When I drag and drop boots straight into Unity it still looks ok
    upload_2020-12-6_14-12-37.png

But when I try to use it with UMA, I'm experiencing some strange deformations like so:

upload_2020-12-6_14-13-50.png

I'm using:
    Blender 2.91
    Unity 2020.1.14f with URP
    UMA latest from develop branch

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?

43. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Most likely cause is unapplied scale or rotation, double check it in blender just in case.

Oh your using the latest develop branch of UMA. Its important to note: Develop Branch

Id use the standard UMA 2 version as its verified and works!

44. fabrykasoftu

fabrykasoftu

Tried that,

I believe I've applied scale and rotation to every mesh

upload_2020-12-6_17-8-16.png

I've tried both, official UMA 2 from Asset store and one from Develop Branch

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

Please follow the export parameters as outlined in the content creation document in the UMA folder.

fabrykasoftu likes this.
  46. fabrykasoftu

fabrykasoftu

This actually works.
    I followed all parameters for Blender 2.8 from content creation document in UMA folder and once exported as FBX I can see my UMA recipe as expected.

Thank you @Jaimi

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    hopeful, colpolstudios and Jaimi like this.
  47. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Ive been trying to figure some things out myself and have got to this point.

1. use the UMA_GLIB
    2. use the HumanMaleLegacy avatar
    3. use the Uma experession player.
    4. use the script.

If I use the HumanMaleLegacy avatar. I can assign the Uma experession player. When tried for different version I could not do this.

I have to play the scene, then I can pause, and place the UMARenderer into its required slot.

Once I do this and clear the console there are no reported new errors.

In order to use the Polyphemus asset, I think ill need to use the Uma model within the https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA as it will have the required blendshapes.

Go through the process of building the required blend shapes so that the Polyphemus asset can use them.

I am not a coder, but it seems that the "bakedMesh = new Mesh" so I do not to put anything into this slot within the script?

If someone has had sucess implementing this system with the Polyphemus asset I would be most gratful of your help and input.

many thanks

48. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA 2.11 Alpha 4 is released

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/v2.11.a4

In addition to all the previous cool stuff, this version contains:

Made it possible to have Overlays with no texture channels (these overlays can be modified with material property blocks).
    Added Material Property Blocks to Overlay Colors (shared colors). Now you can set floats, vectors, ints, colors, matrixes, etc.
    Added ability to change color channel length on shared colors in recipe editor.
    Reworked the bone cleaner to make it more robust
    Added filters to colors in DCA customizer section

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    hopeful and umutozkan like this.
  49. Zante

Zante

It's been a while since I did this. The idea is that the script I posted requires a skinned mesh renderer that doesn't get generated until UMA puts the character together in runtime/play mode. After running the project, drag the script on to the object with the skinned mesh renderer created by UMA. Once that's done, you will have blendshapes you can use to animate the character using a more normal workflow.

If you have facial animations from something like Polyphemus, the blendshapes in my script need to be mapped so they match the ones used in the animation you've recorded (rename etc).

I have a modified version of the script I posted for working specifically with FaceWare. I never posted this because I didn't get the opportunity to refine it beyond what the videos show.

As shown in the videos, I have the FaceWare skinned mesh/head in the same scene as my UMA character. In that particular workflow, all my modified/enhanced script does is map the blendshape values being played by the FaceWare head on to my fake blendshapes for the UMA character.

How far are you along with things? - I can try to help. Are blendshapes being generated for your UMA character?

50. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, I found my unity always gets stuck for dozens of seconds when ever I try to inspect a recipe. Any ideas why this can happen?