Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

I only have one type of gun at the moment and it still will not shoot.

Weapons use a "Handler" I created my own ones naming each one differently R_handler, L_handler.

Still not shooting :(

I have contacted invector and awaiting there reply.

Naturally, I will share any information.

2. taoleaf

taoleaf

How do I fix Hair shaders for URP (universal render pipeline)?

Everything else I've converted according to instructions. I've found materials like "UMA_Mesh_Hair_DoubleSided.mat" with Shader set to "UMA/Hair Fade Cutout", which renders as pink in URP. What do I need to do to make this material work with URP?

Thank you!

3. hopeful

hopeful

I don't know what you're dealing with, but be sure to check child objects as well. Also, it's only a problem when you attempt to rebuild the character. So if you assigned everything in editor to a "bone builder" and then go to customize at runtime, that will count as an attempt to rebuild.

4. Tom163

Tom163

Exactly what I was looking for. I'll be happy to test and give feedback.

colpolstudios likes this.
  5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Unfortunately, the hair shaders are multi-pass and URP and HDRP do not support multi-pass through the shader editor.
    The easiest thing to do is to simply use the Lit shader instead. You don't get the benefit of the nicely fading hair ends, but it's not really that bad if you have anti-aliasing turned on. You'll need to change the shader on the material, and the UMAMaterial will need to be adjusted to use the correct texture names for the channel.
    Going forward, I will try to make some shaders for hair. We may end up needing to do a manual "multi-pass", which means, create two different slots for the same hair mesh, and make one cutout, and one alpha fade.

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Thanks. I'm hoping to have an alpha soon. There are a couple of features I'm in the middle of writing that need to be complete first.

7. Magic-Thor

Magic-Thor

Thank you, Jaimi, for your great support and work! :)

8. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

sorry for the late reply.
    The guns or weapons are created, they are not attached within the editor.
    It's strange I have tried importing the free bodyguard and he works perfectly.
    I have used UMA with another asset "third person cover shooter" and I had to manually change all of the names on the hitboxes that it used.
    That asset can shoot by the way.
    I cant see where the issue truly lies, it is just the actual action of shooting the projecticle or raycast that is causing the issue, maybe?

9. hopeful

hopeful

For the demo scenes, UMA's default behavior is to create a capsule collider for the character. This keeps the characters from falling through the floor in the demo scenes.

However, if you accidentally leave that collider on (it's the default), that capsule collider can have unpredictable results when used with another character controller that isn't expecting the additional collider. So if you haven't yet, tell UMA you don't want the default character collider.

Aside from the runtime building, the default collider, and the dictionary rule (no duplicate game object names) ... a UMA character should be identical to a normal character model.

10. Magic-Thor

Magic-Thor

Dear community,
    unfortunately I cannot search for words like "UMA", "FPS"... directly in forum (less than 4 chars), so I have to ask here ...

I want to create an UMA 2 character and play with it in a First Person Shooter, via Opsive - Ultimata Character Controller and PUN for Multiplayer...

I need arms, and when I have arms I have arms and a head too many...
    Any ideas, what is the best way to proceed?

Thanks and best regards
    Thor :)

11. Swindger

Swindger

Sorry for asking something - maybe - stupid or obvious, but absolutely noob and beginner here, and searching got no results that could help me. ...
    Recently I started a new project using Unity3D 2020.1.9f and UMA 2.10.1 and this time I decided to use the Universal Render Pipeline. While I managed to switch any content from defferent assets to URP my UMA remaint purple with a "Not Set" all over. I searched for the materials and what I found had URP set, and this purple "not set" texture on it. So what did I do wrong, and where do I find a solution for it?

12. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Thank you so much for your time.

So if you haven't yet, tell UMA you don't want the default character collider. How do I do this?

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

Remove the "Capsule Collider" recipe from the "Additional Utility Recipes"

hopeful likes this.
  14. Jaimi

Jaimi

You need to update the UMAMaterials. There is a menu option to do this for you on the UMA menu. You'll need to find a suitable replacement for the hair shader.

Swindger likes this.
  15. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can use the "UMA Renderer Asset" to control what is visible in different situations. Take a look at the sample scene for it. It turns off the head for first person view, but leaves it on for shadows and reflections.

Magic-Thor likes this.
  16. Hjeldnes

Hjeldnes

Hello!
    I tried first checking the wiki, but was not able to find the right answers, so I try here :)
    1. What's the recommended setup when you have a character that does not need any kind of atlas generation? I would like to use the slots to turn elements on and off, but keep the textures as they are. It looks like the slots must have an overlay + it must have at least one texture channel?

2. When I have multiple characters that are _exactly_ the same, are new atlases generated for each one? According to the memoryprofiler it looked like they all generated a unique rendertarget.

17. Buka

Buka

Hi, does anyone else have this issue and not able to see slots and dna of the avatar?

There is big space bellow but not showing DNA and Slots at all (shows in game but not in editor)
    Also this library is not displaying properly, says 0 but there are things there:

@Jaimi

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  18. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

I did not have the Capsule Collider recipe, but thanks anyway.
    I'm stumped. Has anyone else tried adding a UMA to the invector asset with shooting and got it to work?

hopeful likes this.
  19. Jaimi

Jaimi

Typically, the DNA issue is because the base race recipe doesn't have the DNA added to it. You can check this by selecting the base race recipe for the race, and then pulling it up in the inspector. It should allow you to add the DNA.

On the global library, the ResX column shows the items that are forced into resources. The Addressables column shows the items that are in addressable bundles. The Keep column shows the items that are marked "keep" (meaning, don't delete these even if they are orphans). There isn't a total items column.

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

1. Currently, there must be at least one texture channel. I plan to fix this, but have not had time. To do what you want, you need to create a Material and UMAMaterial for each texture set, with a different name, and then fill in the textures like normal in the material. You'll need to supply one texture to a channel that will get overwritten... For now the best solution is to supply a small non-affecting texture (like a black texture to emissive, etc). It can be tiny.

2. Yes - textures are built from overlays, The idea being that there are multiple layers, with different colors colorizing them (adding metallic, stripes, etc). There is a non-atlas flag, but right now that just makes it not accumulate textures onto an atlas, it will still generate a texture (but it can be small, and you can tell the channel to "convert rendertexture" to move it out of video RAM).

This is something that I am currently working on, but have no good solution for at the moment.

21. hassan_zahed

hassan_zahed

Hi guys, I added UMA to my project but unfortunately it has an ugly face and unnormal breast, I don't know how I can fix it. I tried to remove UMA Package completely and imported it again but it didn't work, also, this problem exists in the other scenes even UMA's samples. An interesting thing is that if I create new project there will not be any problem.
    In my opinion, maybe loading a race by default causes this problem.
    What do you think?

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

Most likely the problem is your quality settings. Make sure you have the skin weights set to 4 bones per vertex in all quality levels.

23. Swindger

Swindger

Thank you very, very much! I've searched almost everywhere, but I never looked into the UMA menu! Never used it
    ... my bad!

BTW: Now the shape of the breasts of the female UMA are distoted like shown in post #9419. Will look there for a solution there (skin weights) ...

24. hassan_zahed

hassan_zahed

Thank you for your reply, but I don't think so.
    please, look at the picture.
    Annotation 2020-10-19 213511.png

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

That is exactly what happens when your skin weights are wrong. This has happened to many people, and extremely similar pictures are here in this very thread. Please modify your skin weight settings in your quality levels, and make sure they are all set to 4. The UMA default models absolutely require 4. Sometimes it's called "Skin weights" and sometimes "Bone Weights", and maybe something else depending on the Unity version.

blendweights.png

Magic-Thor and hassan_zahed like this.
  26. Hjeldnes

Hjeldnes

@Jaimi

Thank you so much for the response, it's anyway good to know if there are things I have missed, or if the features are not there yet. I did test the non-atlas option, and it then kept multiple materials even if they wer the same. But, I can probably go with the approach of using atlas and then referencing one of the smaller textures.

So, in the case where I have the multiple characters. Lets say I have 15 characters that look the same, and they all are made up from the same parts which each have they own materials. So, I would like here to create an atlas, so the characters only have 1 material with 1 large atlas. Will "convert rendertexture" create 1 texture that all these identical characters can share, or will there still be 1 texture per character. Also, when exactly does this conversion take place? At startup?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  27. Jaimi

Jaimi

I think if you use the one-texture solution, you will need to use "non-atlas", so you can use only a single material (with the textures preset). When using atlas, you end up with the possibility of the texture UV being recalculated in some situations.
    The rendertexture conversion happens when the UMA is generated. So keep your texture tiny to introduce minimal overhead of reading from video RAM.

28. Hjeldnes

Hjeldnes

So, in the case where I have 10+ characters that are identical but have multiple slots and materials, then I suppose we must balance the need for drawcall reduction + higher vram use(because each character will generate its own atlas), vs having shared textures for all, but multiple materials & drawcalls for each of those characters.
    Thanks again for the help!

Kjetil

29. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe you can generate one character using UMA, and simply clone it? That way they are all using the original material. I haven't had occasion to do that personally yet, but it sounds like it would work.

30. hopeful

hopeful

I'm stumped too. Those are all of the things I've run into with using character controllers. Usually there's a clue in error messages, behavior, or something in the game object hierarchy (like something referencing pistol instead of l_pistol). Now that we've exhausted the conventional wisdom, what's left is detective work.

It's also possible it's not directly related to UMA, but something you have going on in your own project. If you have other assets and things going on in your project (your game), one way to try to narrow it down is to create a new project with just Invector and UMA in it, and see if you can create a working character.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  31. hassan_zahed

hassan_zahed

Wow, it's correct.
    Thank you so much.

hopeful likes this.
  32. Magic-Thor

Magic-Thor

Thank you, Jaimi, for your great support and work, again! :)
    1st I searched at assetstore and found nothing... I didn't know that this great "thing" already is integrated at UMA... Thanks !!! Now my kids want to try Mixamo; but later I want back to UMA... :)

Jaimi likes this.
  33. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

I must say you have been extremely helpful.

I have purchased DK UMA asset.

The developer has assured me that it works with invector with the ability to shoot.

I wanted this asset anyway so having it solves my issue.

Thank you so much for your time.

34. Swindger

Swindger

Anyone an idea why suddenly the "global libary" does not open anymore. Waited, restarted project ... nothing. Deleted UMA and reimportet it ... didn't help. Every other funktion in the menue seems to be OK, just the "global library" window doesn't open. No error mesage.
    Made a new porject and inported UMA there and everything is fine. But in the project I'm working on ... nothing.

35. jeijei

jeijei

I've got a question, is there any way we can skip TextureProcessProCoroutine and just not make that atlas, let each mesh be it's own renderer+material? because the ReadPixels calls in here are really blocking my project right now.
    Alternatively, is there a way to replace ReadPixels with something like Graphics.CopyTexture?

36. Jaimi

Jaimi

Maybe it's docked somewhere? If not, reset your layout to clear up the windows.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can turn off the "copy rendertexture" option on the Generator and that will avoid the stall. I'm working to move the rendertexture copy to separate component that will not cause a stall, this will be in the next version.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    hopeful likes this.
  38. wpc020

wpc020

sorry, can you explain where the copy rendertexture option is in detail? not finding it in the library
    edit: yea, i think you mean convert rendertexture, in the generator
    we had it disabled in the generator but apparently some of our wardrobe items had it ticked in their material

Jaimi likes this.
  39. Jaimi

Jaimi

Oh, sorry - I mean on the generator, on the uma_glib prefab. I'll fix the text.

40. nicholasgallimore

nicholasgallimore

Hello, we are having issues with using UMA and O3N on Android. Our scene has just the UMA_DCS prefab with default values and an O3N prefab o3nMaleDynamicCharacterAvatar.prefab (https://assetstore.unity.com/packag.../o3n-male-and-female-uma-races-102187#content) that was added to the index in the global library. I have gone over every line of the logs (unfiltered) in Android and after about 20 seconds of the scene loading it just closes the app and calls the KILL WINDOW command. No exceptions are thrown. I believe it calls the KILL WINDOW command because Android determined that the application is not responding. My best guess: it's taking too long to generate the character. In the Unity editor our scene loads fine; however, the Android tablets we are testing on are not the greatest. But we have been using other non UMA characters in the past so I think it's possible to use UMA. Is this likely a performance problem? If so, are there any settings we can adjust to make it not take 20+ seconds to load the scene thus crashing the Android app?

Also I want to be clear that we are not doing dynamic character generation. There is no character creation feature in the app, we just have pre-selected characters and are just trying to get them to show up in the Android app with a particular T-Shirt from the O3N package. We have been successful using the default UMA characters. This is only an issue when using the O3N race characters.

41. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm guessing you are on 2.9 or earlier of UMA. It's possible that the issue is either:

1. Unity loading the global library. When it does this, it has to load every asset in the library into memory.
    2. Loading the app and generating the atlas textures is running your application out of memory.
    3. You have modified the generator to generate enormous amounts of UMAS at once.
    4. Some resource is missing, and your app is getting an unhandled exception.

For #3 - Review your generator settings, and limit the number of iterations that the generator runs in one frame. And make sure that "process all pending" is not checked.
    For #4 - Hook up the debugger, and get the console messages, and make sure it is not #3.

For the others, the answer is a combination of:

1. Switch to UMA 2.10.1, and move to addressables and UMA_GLIB (instead of UMA_DCS). In this model, the library does not preload everything from resources. Instead, items are demand-loaded as needed. (and unloaded from memory when not needed).
    2. Go through your assets, and make sure your textures are sized the minimum for what is needed, and that you remove duplicates (Multiple black textures for metallic everywhere, etc). Economize everywhere you can.
    3. Review your generator settings. If your "initial scale factor" is set to 2, then your textures are ALWAYS being downsampled 50% on each dimension. You should change that to 1, and then manually change your textures to half size. Limit the number of UMAS made concurrently by turning off "process all pending" and lower the iterations. Look at the atlas size, and make sure it makes sense. "Fit atlas" should be checked. Only generate mipmaps if needed (a lot of times, not needed on mobile, especially if you are *not* converting render textures.) Only convert rendertextures if needed.

42. nicholasgallimore

nicholasgallimore

Thanks I will give it a try. Please notice I edited my original post to include a bit more information.

43. HighKeys

HighKeys

Hi there,

i'm getting errors with umadynamicavatar.setactiveRace but just in Build, in editor it runs fine..

I tried to add the build references but i cant find the button anymore in the global library (i has a new look since i worked last time with uma).

May someone can help?

https://gyazo.com/93a41b60ea30796e59adb19777e718d3

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

Need more information:

What version of UMA?
    What platform?
    Are you using Addressables?

(Build references are automatically added during a build now unless you have your own build scripts)

45. HighKeys

HighKeys

Actual from Assetstore, i think its 2.10

I added adressables packaged and run the generator at the global lib.

edit:

ok after updateing to Adressables im gettin this errors

https://gyazo.com/37f5536bd40c76fa2bb2bbef6ce7fc46

edit2: how could i downgrade to non adressables again?

edit3:

ok successfully downgraded to DCS non Adressables.

Back to the root error, i builded the uma assets but didnt helped.

46. arteria

arteria

Today, i would like to give a free costume to the UMA community, for 24 hours only.

The Barbarian -

Simply visit the product page below, and use the link on the page to download the pack

This pack now features 2 LOD versions too!

Product Page to Free download:

https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/collections/uma/products/barbarian

HighKeys, Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  47. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you sure you didn't download an experimental branch? It looks like your materials were stripped? Material stripping is something I am working on in the current dev branch, and is not complete.

Anyway, for the missing RaceData, make sure you have loaded it into the global library - it will work in the editor if you forget that, but not work in the build.

HighKeys likes this.
  48. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Could you possibly provide some more information on the steps within your workflow?
    Why did you need to delete all of the bones?

How do we use the UMABlendShapeExpressions script do have a tutorial?

possibly this may be of interest to you is a blender addon "cloth weaver"
    https://clothweaver.com/
    I created a t-shirt and pants for a UMA.
    https://ibb.co/crTbDc5
    If I use UMA to create a character and export it, who owns the result?

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

On the license issue - UMA itself (including base human models) is released under the MIT license. It's not a viral license like the GPL. In short, you own your changes, but not the base code or base models themselves. The only requirement is if you distribute the code, that you distribute the MIT license along with it, so people know that portion of code is free. Unlike GPL, it does not require you to make your changes available.

The text is as follows:

The MIT License (MIT)
    Copyright (c) 2013 Fernando Ribeiro
    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of
    this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in
    the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to
    use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of
    the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so,
    subject to the following conditions:
    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
    copies or substantial portions of the Software.
    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS
    FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR
    COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER
    IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
    CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

colpolstudios likes this.
  50. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Hi, so what about the use of a generated uma in games?
    I would be using the sofware in this case and if I publish then that is also covered.
    So what is the correct way to use a uma within game development?

Would adding a credit screen with the The MIT License (MIT) be enough?