Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. leapp

leapp

how does the wardrobe recipe use the share color in base text recipe?

2. ELGReeN

ELGReeN

Actually:
    ClothProperties -> RendererAsset -> Slot

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

The shared colors are set on the character (on the DCA script). In some cases, the shared colors can be loaded from the base race recipe onto the character at initial build (if they're not already set), but you should consider the DCA as owning the colors.

When the character is built, a umaRecipe is created. Then the shared colors on all the recipes are updated with the colors that are on the character.

4. ScorphiusMultiplayer

ScorphiusMultiplayer

Hi,

I have created new UMA wardrobe Recipe (Female eyes) for HumanFemale and HumanFemaleDCS using the slot/overlay examples provided in UMA core, but Eyes do not update for HumanFemale races.
    Also, "Hiding/suppressing/Replacing" base slot has no effect for Female Eye recipes

Screenshot attached for your reference.

The Male recipes work perfectly.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Attached Files:

5. ScorphiusMultiplayer

ScorphiusMultiplayer

Hi ,
    Please ignore the post above.
    If I adjust the "rectangles" part of the Eye Recipe and use the option in the Global Library (Rebuild from project) then it works.
    Let me know if there is a better way.

Thanks. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  6. AwesomeJohn

AwesomeJohn

Hello,

I'm having an issue that I don't have any good idea for how to fix. When creating a new meshHideAsset in the editor, populating the SlotDataAsset with whichever part I need, and clicking Begin Editing, the resulting scene looks like this, with no visible edges:
    upload_2020-6-15_16-59-50.png
    Displaying Normals still works, as does using an occlusion slot (which shows all its polys as it should), but left-clicking anywhere in the scene or the hierarchy (except for the solid gray portion of the outlined torso) closes the scene instantly and boots me back out to my project's scene. Dragging a box-select across the torso crashes Unity completely.

Is this something anyone has seen before, or knows how to fix? I'm on UMA 2.10, Unity 2019.4.0f1, and am using HDRP.

Thank you

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

I have fixes for the Mesh Hide Asset editor coming in the next update. Until then, it's kind of painful, but you have to disable fog in the lighting inspector.

hopeful likes this.
  8. Freelandor

Freelandor

Hi,

I'm having an issue after switching to addressables in 2.10. Eyebrows and eyelashes aren't loading, and the textures appear to be low rez.

I followed the "Upgrading to 2.10 from a previous version" pdf so i'm not sure where it's all gone wrong. I tried it on a fresh project and ran into the same issue.

Using 2019.3.7f1.

Appreciate any assistance, thanks.

Attached Files:

9. qpuilie

qpuilie

Thank you!

10. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, what's the best practice to hide the character's head but keep its shadows on? I'm trying to make a slot to hide the character's head for first person view but need the shadows to not be headless

11. robybaggi

robybaggi

Hey there,

I've hunted through the Unity forum to see if somebody has had any experience with Animation Rigging but I couldn't find any relevant information for my problem.

So, I have this "Control Rig" Prefab which contains a bunch of GameObjects with constraint components from the Animation Rigging package. I simply made it a child of the UMA DCA then used the Bone Builder to get the bones that I reference in each constraint script but at runtime all of it is removed. Is there a guide on how to properly set this up?

Another thing that is unclear to me and didn't find any information for was the "Animated Bone Names" section. What is the purpose of those?

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

Is this in the editor, or in a build? If in a build, what is the platform? Your materials are bad for some reason. It's like they're set to the default (no normal maps, opaque).

I've tried this scene under addressables on 2019.3.14 without issue. I recommend to upgrade to 2019.4, as there were several bugs in the earlier version of 2019.3.

hopeful likes this.
  13. Jaimi

Jaimi

Take a look at the scene "UMA Demo - UMARendererAssets". This shows how to use UMARendererAssets to hide the head for the character, but still cast a shadow and see the head in a mirror.

jcrey225 and hopeful like this.
  14. Jaimi

Jaimi

Make sure your DCA is the correct race in your prefab. Also, Turn off skeleton rebuilding under race change options. It should not rebuild the skeleton then.

The Animated Bone Names are for the skeletal reduction features of the Power Tools. It stops them from being baked out.

robybaggi likes this.
  15. robybaggi

robybaggi

Thanks a bunch! I got it to work properly now thanks to your help!

For anyone wondering and scowering the Unity forums on how to properly integrate Animation Rigging in UMA, here's a quick little overview of the necessary settings:

- First, check out the official Unity Animation Rigging wiki to get familiar with the concepts and how to properly set up your constraints: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.animation.rigging@0.2/manual/index.html
    - Select your DynamicCharacterAvatar (DCA) in the scene, go to the Bone Builder and hit generate (leave the settings as they are).
    - Create your constraints and reference the freshly created bones.
    EDIT 18/06/2020: Make sure the first few root bones (Root, Global, Position or whatever you have) are facing the right direction. I would advise using the Bone Renderer script that comes with the Animation Rigging package to see your bones. It's easier to work this way.
    - Now parent the prefab that contains all your constraints and make it a child of your DCA.
    - In your constraints, set the bone references.
    - Add a Rig Builder script to the root of your DCA and reference your Rig constraints in it.
    - Now, and most important of all, make sure Rebuild Skeleton (under Race Change Options as Jaimi mentioned) and Keep Avatar (under advanced options) are unchecked. For some weird reason, my model was turned sideways and some other rotations were all whack when I left the last one checked.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    jcrey225 and Jaimi like this.
  16. Freelandor

Freelandor

Thanks for your help. Updating to 2019.4 fixed the issue.

The issue was occuring in the editor.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  17. arteria

arteria

We have just released an update to our Medieval Scribe Costume. Now features an LOD version, plus Cloth Physics on the Tabbard!

Pack can be purchased from the Arteria3d Webstore, and soon the Asset Store too.

To purchase from Arteria3d, please use the below link. We also have a 50% sale on all our UMA Assets at the moment too.

https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/products/scribe-for-uma

jcrey225 and Jaimi like this.
  18. arteria

arteria

jcrey225, Firlefanz73 and Jaimi like this.
  19. ksc_3899

ksc_3899

I want to add some additional animations to my UMA. Like jump animations and stuff. Also, I how do I add a weapon to my UMA?? Can anyone help me please?? @Jaimi

20. arteria

arteria

UMA is already set up with unity's mecanim system, so its ready to take external animations that can be imported via FBX. So long as the rig of these is a standard Biped, you would just then setup the rig with your animations in unity, which takes a few minutes. These animations can then be used on your UMA.

Weapons are added via attaching to the hand bone, or can be pre rigged to the hand bone and created as a slot.

Hope this helps

21. ksc_3899

ksc_3899

That definitely gives a good lead for me to start looking @arteria. Thanks a lot for it.

I have not worked with Unity's mecanim system until now. I have tried adding animations from Mixamo and it gave some weird output. Any other platform from where I could get some FBX animations for UMAs?

22. arteria

arteria

The ones from Mixamo should work fine, what was the 'wierd' output?

23. ksc_3899

ksc_3899

The bones don't seem to have been properly mapped. Once I import it into Unity and see the animation, it's not the same as in Mixamo. Most probably looks like caused to misalignment of bones.

24. arteria

arteria

You must setup the animations yourself, with targetting, if you have just imported the FBX of the animation

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

When exporting the animation, be sure to choose "fbx (for unity)" and pose should remain "T-Pose".

As well, when using UMA, make sure the race you are using has the T-Pose on the racedata set to the "Mecanim friendly" version. This is the default for Humanmale and Humanfemale in 2.10. But earlier version or other races are probably set to the non-mecanim version, which makes the character duck-walk.

When importing the animation, you may need to adjust the rig in the editor. Every animation will vary somewhat.

26. Bucee

Bucee

Hey thanks for the help earlier, I got UMA up and running again. However, in the 2020 beta I've been seeing the pink "Not Set" texture applied to the entire body of UMA avatars in my project (both male and female). Everything looks fine when pressing the "Play" button the first time, but subsequently starting any new "Play" sessions will generate the error: "MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Material' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it." The UMA avatar body textures will also be pink at this stage.

The error points to a line in the TextureMerge.cs file: "textureMergeRect.mat.shader = dataShader;"

Saving any .cs file and triggering the recompiler causes everything to go back to normal for one "Play" session. From what I can gather, UMA is relying on the temporary atlas textures and destroying them in between "Play" sessions, then trying to refer back to those that have been destroyed. I've checked the tutorials but I can't find out how to change these functions.

This problem persisted even after I switched to URP (LWRP) and ran the UMA conversion as well as the conversion for the rest of the project.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  27. girlinorbit

girlinorbit

I have successfully created a new race using Fuse, but when I go to add it to a custom wardrobe recipe as a compatible race, it doesn't show up. Any idea why?

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

This sounds like a bug in the addressables that I fixed in the dev branch. Are you using Addressables? If so, you can get the fix here:

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/tree/develop

If you are not using Addressables, I'll need more information on how to duplicate it. But this sounds like the addressables caching bug.

hopeful likes this.
  29. Jaimi

Jaimi

Did you add your race to the Global Library? Did you give it a "Race Name" in the inspector?

30. girlinorbit

girlinorbit

Yes, it is in the Global Library and it does have a name in the inspector. I can use it in a scene and it works just fine.

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

You are on 2.10?

And more information on "does not show up" - when you click on the box, you do not see it in the list? If you drop your race on the drop area, it doesn't add it?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  32. Jaimi

Jaimi

2.10.1 Bugfix RC is available here: https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/v2.10.1.RC1

Added some super-cheap serialization with compression options, and specific functions to load/save them. This uses an "Avatar Definition" that can also be manually generated if needed. On average, this is 88% smaller than the previous string. See the How To load and save sample scenes.
    • avatarString = Avatar.GetAvatarDefinitionString(true);
    • compressedString = Avatar.GetAvatarDefinition(true).ToCompressedString();
    • Avatar.LoadAvatarDefinition(avatarString);
    • AvatarDefinition adf = AvatarDefinition.FromCompressedString(compressedString);
    • Avatar.LoadAvatarDefinition(adf);
      Note: The avatar must be rebuild using Avatar.BuildCharacter(false) after loading, it is not automatic.
    Fixed asmdef files when addressables active
    Fixed bug when addressables is on and recipes are cached with invalid values.
    Fixed delay unloading avatars
    Updated Animation Clip Retargetting utility to be easier to use
    Added AnimatorStateSaved and AnimatorStateRestored events
    Fix for sizing atlas textures when down-sampling individual channels.
    Various build time fixes for asset bundles.
    Fixed overlay inspector for 2019.3
    Added ability to recalculate groups if a recipe is made resources-only
    Fix for Mesh Hide Asset editor scene in HDRP
    Fix some edit-time only code in build.
    Moved example scripts out of legacy folders
    Fixed blendshape baking with negative values
    Fixed wardrobe collection editor under 2019.3
    Mesh Hide Assets - added support for submeshes other than 0.
    Fixed GUID issues with loading asset bundles manually at build time
    Some minor performance improvements when building characters with a lot of slots and overlays
    Fixed looping bug in global library editor when addressables enabled
    Cleaned up index on build
    Removed textures from group build (they were included with the overlays already)

hopeful likes this.
  33. girlinorbit

girlinorbit

I am using 2.10

I get the list of races and my race is in global library. I tried removing and readding it to the global library and it didn't change anything.

34. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you gett8ng any warnings or errors in the console? Does your race have a dna converter controller, and us it in the library? Does it have a base race recipe, and des that have the sna generated on it?

Grasping at straws here, not sure what is going on.

35. girlinorbit

girlinorbit

I backed up, re-imported UMA, and started over, and that fixed it. Guess it was just me. I got used to the old Global Library in previous projects and it is hard to change to this one, especially when it comes to deleting things.

Thanks so much for all your help! I really appreciate it! I was pulling my hair out to make this work.

hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  36. Jaimi

Jaimi

Do you have any suggestions for improvement on the global library?

37. girlinorbit

girlinorbit

An option to delete the assets without dragging them in, like a right click menu or something would make things easier.

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

All the way to the right should be a "x" that let's you delete the items individually (next to the inspect button). Also, you can select the checkboxes and use the menu option to delete all checked items. Maybe I should put the x at front, as a lot of people miss it because they don't notice the scroll bar.

hopeful likes this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

You're going a great job, Jaimi! I think moving the X makes sense.

40. alan4998

alan4998

I had the same issue, personally i had the enter playmode options enabled and it disappeared when i disabled it.

41. ericflorio

ericflorio

Hey guys!
    I'd like to add bones to the nostrils of the default male race. I already did it in the blender file I found in the ContentPack. However, I don't know how to update it in Unity. I watched the Secret Anorak tutorials on creating new races, but I don't know how to modify an existing one. Which files do I have to change? Can I just modify the race, or do I need to create a new race for that?
    Thanks in advance!

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

The process is the same. Export the head with the armature. Build a slot. Name it the same as the old slot and overwrite it.

43. XMaster96

XMaster96

I have a quite exotic problem. I need a UMA with a mesh Collider. I am aware about the performance impact this means, but I don't care.

Thanks for the help in advance, I appreciate it.

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can add your own collider if you want. Just be sure to remove the "Capsule Collider" recipe.

If you are looking for something that changes every frame, you would need to bake the mesh, and then use that.

If you are looking for something a little simpler, the Physics recipes add colliders/hitboxes for you.

If you are looking for something raycasting skinned meshes, you might "Super Raycast".

hopeful likes this.
  45. XMaster96

XMaster96

Thanks for the quick answer.
    I mainly want mesh precise Reycarsts. Super Raycast would be an easy solution but I have to perform over 920K Raycarsts per frame and Super Raycast seems to be 400x slower than unity raycast what is then even to slow for my standers. So I guess that I have to go with the mesh bake option.
    I unfortunately have no Idea how to bake a UMA mesh.

46. Jaimi

Jaimi

I doubt you will get any kind of performance with 920k raycasts per frame. That's simply an absolute ton of work on the CPU. To bake the mesh, you would get the skinned mesh renderers, and call the BakeMesh function on them. That's going to be pretty heavy, allocating the buffer, copying it all over, etc.

47. AmandaAlavi

AmandaAlavi

Hello!
    I currently have a problem with Suppress Wardrobe Slots, where if I pick a slot, it auto adds another category that I do not want added. Even if I deselect that category it also deselects the other one. I can edit the file with notepad and remove it and it works, but it reloads it if I ever press the Recipe file again. And really, it's just not attainable to keep editing every recipe outside of Unity.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  48. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes - this was a problem with the control used when you have more than 32 slots. This is fixed in the latest version of UMA. What version are you on?

49. AmandaAlavi

AmandaAlavi

I have version 2.9. What version are you up at now?

50. hopeful

hopeful

Jaimi likes this.