Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

Edit the UMAMaterials. Update the shader texture names. _MainTex becomes _BaseMap, I believe. Fix the other shader texture names as well. For more information, this has been answered in the thread before.

2. Ahrazadam

Ahrazadam

Thanks for quick response, I've downloaded a uma hd folder from github, Then import the material from it. With the Race updater tool, I update MaleDCs materials with new one. Now Character seems ok. Did I do right thing or should I reimport uma and do what you say?

Secondly, When I import uma, it began to take more time to start the game when I click the play button, is it about uma, hdrp or me ?

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, that will work fine.
    The more information in the global library, the longer it takes to load. But if you only have the default stuff, it shouldn't be noticeable. If you import everything available (some people have) it might take like 30 seconds to load. Fortunately for those people the new addressable stuff in 2.10 demand loads items (and unloads them) as needed.
    If you only have default stuff, and it's taking a long time to load, be sure you have included the new race in the library, as the old one would search the assetdatabase for races if they're not found.

4. dudedude123

dudedude123

2019.2.0f.1

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Main is a field on the Unity camera object. Most likely answer is that you have a different class named "Camera" in your application. If this is your class, I would suggest renaming it. Or at least putting it in it's own namespace.

hopeful likes this.
  6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hi,
    Just starting to learn the latest UMA and have some questions.
    I know about the videos from Secret Anorak and others but where can i find the latest written documentation for UMA 2.9 so that i can work with it.
    I want to use the universal render pipeline and hope to find a doc with all the informations i need. I searched for UMA things and found a lot of sites and things but do not know wich one is the latest.

Also i have some other questions.

Can i use UMA also to let players select how old a character is by a slider that controll not only a map for wrinkles but a morphed form of the object?

Can i also use then three other morphed objects so that the player can choose if he wants to look more normal or fat or muscular?

If i use more morphed versions of the player object, will that cost performance when the player has his own player objects then saved?

I read somewhere that it is possible to save then the player object to a prefab, will that saved object then be a new object without all the morphmaps or will everything that was used to build the new player be inside the prefab and so it be a bigger file then it should be?

Also, i hope that i can use UMA for some village people and hope that i do not have to use the prefab way for them becouse i hope so save a lot of space. So if i read correctly i will get something like a unique seed for the player objects.
    Can i use these seed like infos to then generate all the npc´s for a little village for example?

Maybe i have some thoughts that do not work so how would you recomend to do many village people and save some space that i will use if i save all of them to prefabs, Jaimi?

7. hopeful

hopeful

UMA is a framework for generating unique variations of base characters. It's been around since 2013, so there have been quite a few changes over the years. But, in general, there's a lot of carryover from one version to the next.

UMA uses base models called "races." So you may have a male human "race" and a female human "race."

Historically, most of the variations have been accomplished using adjustment bones to change the length of limbs and facial features, and the ability to change out slots (meshes) and overlays (textures). Different slots are used to change body parts and clothing, and each slot may have numerous overlays.

In the last year or so, the ability to handle blendshapes has been added to the system, but they're not part of the default race models.

So when you say you want a slider for how old a character is, that's not built into the system. But you could implement that yourself. Nothing in UMA is going to stop you.

As for having characters that look normal, fat, or muscular, you should try the free UMA package and familiarize yourself with the demo scenes. The default models provided with UMA allow a variety of deformations. Depending on the look you want, you might want to go with the free UMA models provided by o3n. UMA's default is more of the typical athletic / heroic type featured in games, while the o3n models are more naturalistic. In fact, you can use both, but be aware from the start that any slots - like clothing slots - you add to your game must be specifically designed for use with a single base race model. There's no built-in crossover for, say, male based clothing to female. And if you use other base models, like the o3n, you must configure clothing specifically for them.

There's no performance penalty for using adjustment bones to configure characters, though of course, any change means the character must be regenerated. But that happens quickly.

Blendshapes can be different. I believe you can bake or "freeze" the blendshape, and this will remove performance penalties. However, if you keep the blendshape active for the possibility of continuous morphing, there is a penalty in Unity for doing so. Basically, you keep the active blendshapes at a minimum, and bake whenever possible.

If you want to keep an UMA character you've created in the editor as a typical skinned mesh character, you can bake it to prefab. The ability to do this used to require the separate UMA Power Tools, and I'm not sure what the status is there. Once it is baked to prefab, it can no longer be altered within UMA. It is a standard Unity model.

If you want to make a bunch of random village people - like policemen, cowboys, workers with hardhats, and Native Americans - you set the parameters for random generation, and then you can make as many as you like at runtime.

I think the random generation is deterministic, but I'm not sure. That's a good question. I don't think it's set up to take a particular seed and then generate the same characters, say, over a network. That would be a good feature.

I'm not a member of the UMA steering committee, so I may have some of that wrong, but I think I kept within the bounds of what I know. :)

twobob, umutozkan and RandAlThor like this.
  8. michaelday008

michaelday008

9. arteria

arteria

Today Arteria3d would like to offer any UMA user, Two free Costumes from our Librar. Simply visit our UMA Section via the link below, choose your two costumes, email arteria3d@live.co.uk with your choices and we will provide you with links for your 2 selections
    Please choose 2 costumes from our 'single' pack costume packs.

Arteria3d UMA Collection:
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/collections/uma

We are also offering a special offer too, to access our entire UMA Collection of just under 80 costumes for $99
    Link Below:
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/products/uma-access-to-all-current-costumes

To purchase this, please vistit the link below

michaelday008, Jaimi and Firlefanz73 like this.
  10. Jaimi

Jaimi

In addition to what hopeful said

The latest documentation is in the UMA folder in the download. But UMA has a lot of pieces, you may not find what you need. If not, post here or on the slack or discord.

Yes. This is done by adding wrinkle maps. You would need to add these. But for an example of how to fade the maps over the base using DNA, look at the "Elf Or Alien" DNA -- it fades between two different texture sets.

Yes.

The only difference in speed will be when you add new outfits. These can of course use more resources.

You can save the UMA to a prefab, and it will not take more space:

http://umadocs.secretanorak.com/doku.php?id=knowledgebase:creating_a_customizable_prefab

It will have to generate it at runtime like any other UMA. if you want a pregenerated mesh, you can do that with the power tools. At that point, it is just a mesh, and no longer a UMA.

You can create a "villager" character, and save it to a string. Then load that string as many times as you want on a UMA. You can make it a prefab as well, and place it as many times as you want. It won't take up any more space.

The general idea of the character system, was that you would save character files by name. Then create a prefab with the character name in the appropriate field. You could then instantiate or place that prefab as needed -- see the customizable tutorial above. These character files contain the string that is loaded (so you can either save to a string if you want to keep everything in a database, for example). These files take only a few K. You could of course use your specfic setup to greatly reduce the size if a few K is too large - by using numbers for everything, creating lookup tables, etc.

RandAlThor and hopeful like this.
  11. V0odo0

V0odo0

I'm trying to change base head slot overlay from code.

Code (CSharp):
    1. avatar.umaData.GetSlot(headSlotId).SetOverlay(0, newFaceOverlay);
    Аfter calling BuildCharacter it reverts back to default base race recipe. What I'm doing wrong?

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

BuildCharacter rebuilds the recipe. You shouldn't modify the umaData manually if you are using a DCA.

For something like changing the face overlay, you should instead create a new face recipe, and then swap that out. There is an example of this included with UMA ("old face" and "Troll Face"). Old face swaps out the overlay. Troll Face changes the bone pose.

When you create a recipe to add an overlay to a slot, you include the existing slot in the recipe. During the build process, the duplicate slots are discarded, and the overlays added to the existing slot.

V0odo0 likes this.
  13. arie1994

arie1994

hello,
    I'm trying to create textures for new clothing in substance painter, and I'm confused about the export setting.
    What channel's (RGBA) should I use in albedo and metallicGlossMap?

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA can use any shaders, but most UMAMaterials are set to use the Standard Shader.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameters.html

Generally, Albedo contains the texture (+alpha if there is transparency)
    Metallic contains Metal and Smoothness. (Metal in Red, Smoothness in Alpha).

15. luckie12

luckie12

Hey guys,

Whenever i select the
    UMADynamicCharacterAvatar
    in my asset folders, inside UMA/Getting Started,
    it freezes my unity and pushes my RAM usage to 100%... I restarted unity like 4 times, restarted my pc once, reimported UMA, reimported ALL assets, but nothing seems to work, it just instantly freezes my Unity, then my PC and i have to close it through taskmanager... kinda annoying because i really want to use it :(

16. hopeful

hopeful

Anyone trying to help you with this will need to know what version of Unity you're using and what version of UMA.

17. luckie12

luckie12

Dang, my bad! I typed that in a rush haha

Im using
    Unity 2019.3.6f1
    And the latest version of UMA from the Asset Store

Mind saying, that it did work the first time, then i had to delete the hierarchy objects for a sec, and when i tried to place them in the scene again, well, stuff above happens

18. JeffG

JeffG

Anyone else getting error with Salsa Lipsync Studio? After you try to change wardrobe recipes, the character goes into a T-Pose and throws the error.

AvatarBuilder 'UMADynamicCharacterAvatar': Transform 'Head' parent 'Head_FixedAxis' must be included in the HumanDescription Skeleton

(Using UMA 2.9, Unity 2018.4.18)

If someone fixed this...can you share?

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

There's a discussion on this here, though I have not seen the issue. Are you using the latest Salsa 2 with the one-click?

https://forum.unity.com/threads/sal...id-control-system.242135/page-33#post-5184056

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not sure what has happened. If you try a brand new scene, drop the UMA_DCS prefab in the scene, does it work?

21. JeffG

JeffG

Yes I got the latest and greatest. Same exact issue that gentleman has (I sent him an email asking if he solved it...no response yet) Wasn't that happy with Crazy's response

I currently have it (salsa) removed from my main character. Thinking about removing it from my NPC's until they fix it. If the problem is in their one click I may be able to solve it. If it is in the core...then it will have to wait for them.

I have other issues to solve, so I can wait, but if someone else had fixed it....then easy peasy.

22. luckie12

luckie12

No, it sadly doesnt. So i went to github and downloaded the latest version on there, and looks like this works.

Im using URP (LWRP) but when i upgrade project materials i get this kind of character

And yes, i did follow the tutorials, i watched them on forehand but even watching them while im doing this, it just shows Not Set, i cant find the male skin texture?

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you using the version from Feature-210_Prep? That is the absolute latest. It's waiting to be merged into develop. If you switch to the UMA_GLIB prefab, and add addressables support, that lowers the resources used dramatically.

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/tree/Feature-210_prep

As well, you can run the menu item to convert the UMAMaterials to URP

But basically, your issue is the texture keyword for the albedo texture changed from _MainTex to _BaseMap, and the UMAMaterials have to be adjusted to know that.

24. luckie12

luckie12

Im on

MA-2.10.a3

Is there somewhere that shows me how to change those settings?

EDIT: i just found some scriptable objects, but those channels are indeed _MainTex, but when i change it to _BaseMap it says the shaders dont have any variable named like that

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

Alpha 3 is not as robust as Feature-210_Prep (it will be the RC as soon as it's merged).

Only materials that have been converted will need to be updated - those that use the standard shader. The rest are not compatible and will need to be replaced with the standard shader versions.

26. luckie12

luckie12

So if i just use the Feature 210 one,
    and then run the menu item to convert the UMAMaterials to URP, im basicly done?

EDIT:

That works, converting them by the UMA menu, thanks a bunch ♥

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  27. umutozkan

umutozkan

I may be being naive but it looks to me normals and stuff is right just albedo missing.
    As far as I remember the URP standard lit shader's keyword for main texture is not _MainTex (maybe _Color I don't remember really I guess they changed it a couple times). Did you setup your UMA material to use that keyword?

28. luckie12

luckie12

I already got it working by using the UMA menu and convert to URP haha

Im yet back with another weird issue, i never touch the DynamicCharacterAvatar, but i keep getting this now when i start my game
    upload_2020-4-2_20-44-11.png

weird part is, when i check my raceData, it now keeps saying HumanMale (not available) while i found it just in my assets? I havent even touched the DCA :(

and yes i tried reimporting haha

Attached Files:

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

It can't find the race in the library. I'm assuming you're using the UMA_GLIB prefab, is that correct? (You should for the 2.10 release). So go into the global library, and make sure your race is there. Inspect it, and make sure the base race recipe is set, and is also in the library.

luckie12 likes this.
  30. luckie12

luckie12

I wasnt, i was on UMA_DCS

I got the GLIB now but this is the only thing in there

upload_2020-4-2_21-8-4.png

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, that is correct. It doesn't need all the other libraries. It directly used the global library for storage.

kellyariddell likes this.
  32. luckie12

luckie12

Thats cool, but i still cant find the base recipe thingy

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

Start from here:

To open the global library go to UMA/Global Library Window

34. luckie12

luckie12

Its this,

upload_2020-4-2_21-14-32.png

Just saying, its all DEFAULT so i never made any own races ^_^

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

OK - your global library index is empty!
    Simplest thing to do is add everything back into it. From the file menu on the global library, use "Rebuild from project".

Why it is empty? I have no clue. It's stored in \UMA\InternalDataStore\InGame\Resources\AssetIndexer.asset
    So something bad has happened to that file.
    Anyway, rebuilding will fix it.

kellyariddell and luckie12 like this.
  36. luckie12

luckie12

Weird stuff, but that fixed it, thanks! :D

37. ina

ina

Has anyone used UMA at runtime with ARKit3 Human Body Segmentation 3D?

38. arteria

arteria

Arteria3d's Sci Marine, updated for the latest UMA. Many cosmetic improovements too.

The 'Sci Marine ' costume is designed for Unity 5 UMA 2.5& above.

All costume items scale and deform precisely so you can vary the size of your characters proportions

Pack Contains:

• 5 Slots
    • 5 Overlays
    • 5 Wardrobe Recipes
    SLOTS Included & Overlays & Wardrobe Elements for:

• Helmet
    • Torso Armour
    • Arm Armour
    • Leg Armour
    • Boots
    Unity 5 Materials
    • Albedo
    • Spec/Metal
    • Normal Map
    • AO
    Pack can be purchased for $27 via the link below
    Thanks to Jaimi and the UMA team for continued support too.

Product Page:
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/products/scifi-marine-for-unity-uma2

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Jaimi likes this.
  39. michaelday008

michaelday008

This was such a generous offer!

I have featured your armor in 2 YouTube livestreams showing how to import and use it with AnyRPG:
    Knight G for Unity UMA 2.5 and above:

Assassin/Thief for UMA:

I have also added you to the 'A Lost Soul' in game credits, linked to your channel from the AnyRPG featured channels (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-SiqAyRXR6eijPggFhFG2g) and added the armor to the AnyRPG sources page at https://www.anyrpg.org/sources/armor/.

Thanks so much for these awesome looking packages.

arteria and Jaimi like this.
  40. dudedude123

dudedude123

How do I fix this?

41. hopeful

hopeful

You have some overlapping colliders that are causing them to shoot away?

42. arteria

arteria

And thank you too for your very kind and welcome support. Glad I could help you out. Really love what your doing with your project

43. dudedude123

dudedude123

Just one collider

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

It looks like you added one at design time. Make sure you don't add an additional one using the collider recipe (look under "additional utility recipes")

hopeful likes this.
  45. arteria

arteria

Today Arteria3d release the second costume this week in our SciFi series
    "Assault Troop"

The 'Sci Assault Troop ' costume is designed for Unity 5 UMA 2.5 Character system..

All costume items scale and deform precisely so you can vary the size of your characters proportions

Pack Contains:

• 6 Slots
    • 6 Overlays
    • 6 Wardrobe Recipes
    SLOTS Included & Overlays & Wardrobe Elements for:

• Helmet
    • Torso Armour
    • Arm Armour
    • Leg Armour
    • Boots
    • Full Body UnderSuit
    Pack can be purchased for $27 from the following Arteria3d web link
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/products/sci-assault-troop-for-unity-uma[/iurl]

TonyLi and Jaimi like this.
  46. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Universal Render Pipe solution?

Apologies, but I'm looking for a solution to this:
    I need to merge the UMA kit into a URP project. Seems like a few of you may have solved this issue, but after looking into it, I came to the conclusion I should ask around here about if anyone has a converted project already done.

I don't mind solving the issue, but I also dislike reinventing the wheel.

I'm currently pulling the git, and trying to look at the 210, but so far not finding the menu item mentioned above for moving the project over.

Anyone here already created a solution?

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

210 has support built in. The menu item is UMA/SRP/Convert to URP.
    Run this after you have converted your materials.
    Also, some items do not convert - like the hair. You will need to use a different shader.

48. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Yeah, I did pull the git, set to the 210 version (which seems to be the latest), and copied it into a URP unity project.

Never saw a Top menu -> UMA -> SRP entry at all. Am i missing something?

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

Is your project compiling?

50. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

I'm responding in the discord too, but here so it does not look like I'm ignoring you.

Yup. It compiles. All purple, but it works just fine.