Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. renation23

renation23

Yes you are right, the bones are yellow and missing, but i couldn't find the animation retargeting tool
    I added the bone names under "Animated Bone Names" in the wardrobe slot, but i assume you mean something else

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

It should be on the UMA menu - "Animation Clip Target Renamer". I thought it was in 2.9, but it may be 2.10

hopeful likes this.
  3. xeye

xeye

Did the trick. Thanks again

hopeful likes this.
  4. Harekelas

Harekelas

Great news on 32 bit meshes, is this in the coming unity version or it's already there but not supported by UMA yet?

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Its aready supported in Unity (2017.3 i believe), just waiting on the 2.10 version of UMA now.

hopeful likes this.
  6. ledentsov

ledentsov

7. Harekelas

Harekelas

ok, great! I'll wait for the new UMA version then

8. DIOS_Gamesofa

DIOS_Gamesofa

I created a new Unity project(I'm using 2019.3.3f1) ,and used UMA 2.9.
    I run the Timeline Example. It worked fine in Editor and Android Platform,
    not included HTC Nexus9.
    But, when I used UMA 2.9 and 2019.2.4f1, It worked fine!!
    Anybody got an idea?

Attached Files:

9. gareth_untether

gareth_untether

I am importing a jacket that I have made in Blender.

Slot Builder outputs the overlay, recipe and slot. When I select the recipe I have an error dSlotLibrary (211) Unable to find: Jacket_F5.

In the tutorial by SecretAnorak when he uses the Slot Builder a mesh is placed in the new folder, but in the version I am using a mesh is not placed in the folder.

Annotation 2020-03-20 120410.png

10. customphase

customphase

I am experiencing in-editor memory leak issues on 2019.3 (HDRP 7.1.8) with latest UMA version from github. Am i the only one?

After first game run:
    upload_2020-3-20_18-57-34.png

After 9-th game run:
    upload_2020-3-20_18-58-34.png

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Which branch in Github?
    Are you using Addressables?
    Is this your code, or one of the sample applications?
    Have you used the memory profiler to see what is being loaded?

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

The newer version deletes the mesh. It is not used after the building process, and was just junking up your project.
    Drop the folder on the global library. that should resolve any not-found issues.

gareth_untether likes this.
  13. customphase

customphase

Was just about to delete that post. This was not related to UMA, but to HDRP itself, sorry. Upgrading to 7.2.1 fixed it.

hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  14. Jaimi

Jaimi

No idea, but sometimes stuff like this happens. Best to update to the latest 2019.3 version, and if that doesn't solve it, report it as a bug.

15. xeye

xeye

New issue with UMA - exporting FBX and getting the rigs to work properly. As mentioned earlier, I'm using @UnLogick 's FBX exporter which does do a wonderful job tackling exports of UMA files. I select the main UMA holder in the scene at Runtime, in FBX Exporter options I chose Skinned Mesh Options: Export T Pose and then Export Selected Object(s) as single FBX.

Exports fine, I can bring the model into say 3DS Max and the rigging is all connected as expected etc. Now the issue is this - if I try to immediately re-import that FBX into Unity, I set it's Rig to Humanoid (must be in that mode for Mixamo to work with it) and it gives me an error such as "Import Messages: Invalid Avatar Rig Configuration. Missing or invalid transform: Required human bone 'LeftLowerLeg' not found"

Some things to note -
    - if I export my UMA as just a generic naked guy with no extra recipes attached (my own wardrobe pieces), I don't get such errors.
    - I can tell my reimported UMA to use an Avatar Definition from a separately-exported FBX (such as above with no recipe of mine attached) and it doesn't give the error - but not sure that that will be cool with the pipeline we are using (the other dev doing Mixamo work)

I believe there are some notes about this elsewhere in this thread so I will keep digging. Also I see that there is a bit of discussion in other forums about this general problem, I am quite unfamiliar with rigging overall but will still keep trying to decipher in the meantime. If anyone has any input I would be very thankful!

16. Jaimi

Jaimi

Can you go into avatar configuration, and manually select the right bones?

17. xeye

xeye

Sadly no, the Configure button has a little X beside it - when you hit it, it just selects the Avatar.

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

The x means it can't automatically configure it, it should still let you into the config scene. Honestly, I don't know what is wrong here. Maybe the version of Unity you are using has a bug? I can try to look at it if you want to IM me a link to the fbx.

19. idwilson001

idwilson001

Hi, I am having my character swim in the sea. In one of the sea (Ocean Crest System) scripts, it tries to find the renderer on the character in order to clip out some of the shader sea effects on the character. I get the following error 'MissingComponentException: There is no 'Renderer' attached...'. The code that is creating this error is GetComponent<Renderer>(); Any idea how I get this to work with an UMA character? Many thanks.

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

The renderer is on a child of the UMA GameObject. Change the GetComponent into GetComponentInChildren.

hopeful likes this.
  21. idwilson001

idwilson001

Sorry, I should have worked that out myself. Many thanks.

22. xeye

xeye

here is a link to some dummy pants I made
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nzse3ktuwgw37x/dummyPants.FBX?dl=0

building off the unified male from the UMA source files.

Image 1 is what I see after I change the Anim Type to Humanoid

pants01.jpg

Image 2 is what I see after I hit the Configure button
    pants02.jpg

Image 3 is a basic screen of how things look in Max
    pants03.jpg

I just copied the Unified male and reduced him to a pair of pants, scaled and shelled them, then copied the pivot from the orig model, reset xforms, delete material. Modify/anim/skin wrap to the orig unified male, convert to skin, test that the binding is ok, then export all the bones w just the pants.

I am using Unity 2018.4.18f1. I also tested w 2017.4.38f1

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

OK - I thought you were importing a converted FBX, but you're actually making a slot.
    You don't need an avatar for a slot.
    I added the fbx to my test project, turned off "convert units" in the inspector. Then I built a slot from it (and made a temporary overlay).

Result - It works! Forgive my 1 minute attempt at texture.

canvas_pants.png

24. xeye

xeye

You got it to use Humanoid Anim type though? I hit Convert Units as well and it still gives me the error..
    EDIT - I am aware I don't need this for the slot. After this I'd export the full UMA and then re-import that as Humanoid, so the issue is still the same..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  25. Jaimi

Jaimi

I was able to set it to humanoid, and hit apply. It showed the error trying to auto create the avatar. I pushed the configure button and went into avatar configuration. Thats the point where i saw it was a partial mesh. I was using the latest unity 2018.4.

26. xeye

xeye

DUDE &*@#$&*@#^$!!!!
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/1426732/no-configure-avatar-option-on-failed-humanoid-avat.html

"Try to reset the layout to factory settings, that did it for me. To do that click on the Layout roll out in the upper right corner in the main editor."

making me absolutely insane. I really love unity but sometimes.. Anyway thank you for looking at that.

UnLogick, Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  27. skowronski

skowronski

Hi,

I'm currently trying to use VRIK by Final IK to control a UMA avatar. This works, however, I get some strange deformations in the mesh. After trying some mixamo animations with the UMA avatar, where I basically get the same deformations, I'm not sure, if this is normal?

Here are three screenshots, the first one shows the UMA avatar performing a climbing animation from mixamo. The second and third one one show a UMA avatar, trying to reach the sphere in front of him using VRIK.

climbing.png vrik.png 3.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  28. umutozkan

umutozkan

Not sure it's because of the IK asset you're using but it looks like either IK is moving bones that it shouldn't or max bone influence setting is lower than 4 (in quality settings if I remember right.)

hopeful likes this.
  29. skowronski

skowronski

I just checked it and the transform references are set correctly in the IK, bones are also set to 4..

If I change the transforms manually, it seems to me as though the shoulder rotation — if rotated to much — brings the mesh to deform like that.

30. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

More than likely your adjust bones are also playing the IK game.

hopeful likes this.
  31. skowronski

skowronski

Hi all,

I am currently trying to animate the fingers of the UMA. Here, I noticed that the rig of the UMA hand is different from most other humanoid models I've worked with, as the fingers have only three transforms with the first one being positioned somewhere around the palm and the last transform of each finger not reaching the tip at all.

However, for my purposes I'd need the transforms to be like (the turquoise dots being the transform positions) in the below screenshot. Is there a way to achieve that?

handrig.png

Edit: I solved it myself by looking again at other avatars: I've noticed that they just manually added the tip to the avatars and that the tips of the fingers are not really part of the rig. So I just added empty gameobjects as a child of the last bone, and moved them to the tip of the finger.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  32. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not sure what you needed, but glad you got it figured out.

Fwiw, the UMA rig looks almost exactly like your hand:

Attached Files:

33. skowronski

skowronski

Regarding your picture: How do you get to the transform of the tip? Using the high poly male, for example, the last transform of the index is "LeftHandFinger04_03", which is the distal bone but not the tip.

34. Jaimi

Jaimi

There is something wrong with your IK setup. It looks like it is moving bones, and not just rotating them. Generally, bones should only be rotated. A good arm-lift animation will include both the shoulder and the arm after it gets horizontal. For example:

Only rotating the arm:
    anm_armonly.png

This is rotating both the arm and the shoulder:
    anm-shoulderarm.png

The shoulder has limited rotations, and only starts when you get your arm horizontal.

Your IK solution will need to take all this into account.

hopeful likes this.
  35. Jaimi

Jaimi

That's just what it looks like in Blender, I did nothing special. It does look slightly off when looking at the transforms in the editor. I have no clue why that is, though.

hopeful likes this.
  36. magique

magique

@Jaimi Is there any guidance on how to use the Create in Code feature of the Simple Setup demo scene? I imported the latest UMA 2 into Unity 2019.3.4f1 and did not add or change anything to the setup. When I clothe a character and click the Create in Code button, it adds a UMADynamicCharactarAvatarWithExpressions(Clone) object to the scene. If I click on it, I can see there are some issues. See image below:

upload_2020-3-26_11-5-53.png

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

37. idwilson001

idwilson001

Hi, when my character swims underwater, his hair isn't affected by the underwater fog effect in the same way as his body and clothes. Is there any easy way to fix this? Many thanks.

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

Which version are you using? if you're using one of the alphas, there was an issue with the global library not able to access addressable items at runtime when called through the inspector. That's been fixed in the latest code awaiting moderation. You can get the absolute latest version here: https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/tree/Feature-210_prep

If you're meaning 2.9 - most likely thing is that it can't find the filename to load. This can be caused by rebuilding the global library, but leaving out the text files for the character it loads. To fix that, drop the folder "Assets\UMA\Examples\DynamicCharacterSystem Examples\Assets\Resources\CharacterRecipes" onto the global libray to index them.

I recommend not using that code as an example though. The new update contains some example scenes that construct things cleanly:

"How to Construct a DCA from scratch"
    "How to Construct and load a DCA from a prefab"

Those will show how to correctly construct UMAS in code. This required some changes/fixes to the system, so requires 210.

hopeful likes this.
  39. magique

magique

2.9 from the store.

I'll wait for the update then before using this.

40. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm guessing that this effect is some 3rd party shader issue - probably drawn over the scene. If so, the most likely issue is that the fog shader is drawn before transparent items. You can check the queue of the shader vs the hair shader, and make sure the hair draws first.

If it's standard unity fog, then I have no idea. The UMA hair is correctly fogged in all the scenes I've tried it with.

41. idwilson001

idwilson001

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at the shader queues and see if I can figure it out.

42. qpuilie

qpuilie

Hi,
    The normal problem caused by the DNA change.

I used UMA DNA to adjust the bone, because the position of the vertex has changed(affected by partial weight).Although it is affected by the translation and scaling of the adjust bone, but the direction of triangles is changed , the normal of the triangles should be changed.So the result of light and shade calculation does not change in those effected trangles.

I would appreciate it if you could help me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  43. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hello, UMA doesn't calculate vertex change Normals on the fly. (Not that it is a simple thing. Because the normal information is on the normal maps that are created on the default shape of the mesh. To be able to do that UMA would calculate the vertex change and apply it additively on the already existing Normal Map data) This has been discussed and it seems it requires some fundamental changes to how texture merging work right now.

Probably there won't be any change on this throughout UMA 2.x. But developers (Steering Group) are aware of this and I am hoping to see this feature on UMA 3 in the future.

That being said the next version of UMA will have a new Channel Type for UMA material which is "Detail Normal". This channel type merges the normal maps by applying them on top of previous normal maps. (Unlike current Normal map which kind of averages them).

So technically you can have a shader (and corresponding UMA Material) that has a Normal Map and a Detail Normal Map (like the standard shader). And set the UMA Material channel as "Detail Normal" for detail normal map on the material.

Then you can use the base Normal texture as how you use the normals regularly. And use the Detail normal channel for vertex normal changes (You'll need to prepare the detail Normal maps for vertex changes manually on a 3d program like ZBrush)

After you set the materials as such you can bind that Detail Normal Channel to a color DNA and use the same DNA name to change the bone pose and color DNA together.

I've been working on o3n UMA Female 3.0 and have been using this technique. Here is a video.

The first 10 seconds show "without" Detail Normal Maps. When bone pose changes vertices move but the direction of the vertices doesn't change (respects Normal Maps which is created for default shape of the body). After 00:00:10 video shows Detail Normal Maps channel in action. The textures in this channel are set up to have vertex change normal maps (pre-generated by 3d program) and bound to DNA that actually changes the bone pose. Resulting in "right" normals.

This does require some work when creating the stuff though.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    hopeful, kenamis and Jaimi like this.
  44. robybaggi

robybaggi

Hey there,

I've got a question regarding a problem I have with coloring my character's eyes (specifically the iris'). I hope I can describe it as detailed as possible:

I want my character to have an animated iris with a color gradient going from top to bottom. Therefore I created a shader graph in which I have two color properties (named _IrisColorTop and _IrisColorBottom) that get lerped using the UV's green channel/output (essentially lerping the colors vertically). In the UMA material I have to specify a texture else it doesn't seem to work. The thing is I have none in my shader graph material or rather I don't need one.

I was wondering what the right way to set something like this up is or if there's a workaround for all this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

The UMAMaterial currently requires at least one texture (that doubles as it's alpha mask when you don't supply one). But that doesn't mean it has to be drawn. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to set the material as a non-atlas texture, and supply a dummy alpha mask texture. But it seems just as easy to add a quick _MaintTex to your shader, and add that to your material.
    In good news, the 2.10 update allows you to map shared colors to material parameters, so your procedural eyes can be modified on the fly.

umutozkan and robybaggi like this.
  46. umutozkan

umutozkan

I actually have a WebGL build from a few weeks back. It's a work in progress so it's not the latest state but it shows the normal details for upper/lower fat DNA.

On the left o3n Female 3.0 (with Detail Normals)
    On the right o3n Female 2.0 (without Detail Normals)

http://static.o3n.org/demo/o3nmfuma3/

47. robybaggi

robybaggi

Thanks for the quick response! I followed your advice but I can't quite get it to work still. Maybe I'm missing something. The custom shader works and I can adjust the colors in the material inspector but ideally I would want to drive those two color values through UMA's shared color system so I have everything in one place. Maybe there's another solution I'm overlooking at the moment and maybe it's easier to drive those color values through the inspector anyway... I don't know.

Also, the 2.10 update sounds sweet! Any estimate on when it might be released?

48. dudedude123

dudedude123

I keep geting this error:
    'Camera' does not contain a definition for 'main'

49. hopeful

hopeful

What versions of Unity and UMA are you using?

50. Ahrazadam

Ahrazadam

Can someone help me? I am completely new to UMA and I want to integrate it my HDRP project. I'de import asset from asset store, and upgrade project materials to hdrp. Now uma is invisible. Could someone explain me what should I do step by step please ?