Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. xerokwan

xerokwan

By the way, I cannot find the method you said "UMAAssetIndexer.Instance.LoadLabelList({list of labels})" in the UMAAssetIndexer.cs script. I have downloaded the latest version from both asset store and github, still can't find LoadLabelList(). Am I overlooked or do anything wrong? Please help.

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is in the 2.10 update. A release candidate should be available in the next few days. I'll post here when it is ready.

umutozkan likes this.
  3. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Is anybody using UMA in their game? Can you post links to your game so we can see UMA in action?

4. pdinklag

pdinklag

Sadly, that's not entirely true. The HairFadeCutout shaders are surface shaders and thus inherently incompatible to URP. For this reason, I cannot get any hair to work in URP. I would try and solve this but I don't know what these shaders are actually doing? What exactly are they needed for as opposed to the Standard shader?

EDIT: Using URP's Lit shader with Alpha cutout seems to work fine here; UMA's own shaders don't seem to be needed at all.

Furthermore, Unity's Material.color property doesn't work for URP, because that property changes the "_Color" shader property, while the correct property in URP is "_BaseColor". This will cause tinted textures (e.g. eyelashes) to fail. I could solve this by changing the following in TextureProcessPROCoroutine.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  // atlas.material.color = fragment.baseColor; // not working in URP
    2. atlas.material.SetColor("_BaseColor", fragment.baseColor); //  
    UMA should probably try and probe for the correct shader property here, like so:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(atlas.material.HasProperty("_BaseColor"))
    2. {
    3.     // URP
    4.     atlas.material.SetColor("_BaseColor", fragment.baseColor);
    5. }
    6. else
    7. {
    8.     // Legacy
    9.     atlas.material.color = fragment.baseColor;
    10. }
    I don't know anything about HDRP, but I suppose it's the same for that.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Thanks.

The HairFadeCutout shaders are an improvement over an AlphaCutout shader because they have a fade effect that the cutout doesn't have, so the ends of the hair are finer. in addition, the hair does a proper "double-sided" render, so you get a fuller look. Here's an example of the two different shaders.

The HairFadeCutout is on the left. The standard cutout is on the right.

HairShaders.png

I wasn't aware that anyone was using the "tinted textures" option, since you can drive that with shared colors with the "Texture" channel type, but I'll go ahead and fix it since apparently at least 1 person is. :)

hopeful likes this.
  6. umutozkan

umutozkan

Just wanted to chime in and point out another way to make materials compatible with URP.
    You can add a shader graph, set keywords exactly as the shader UMA material is using. It's fairly simple to create URP lit shader that is receiving keywords that UMA material is mapped to.

Then all you need to do is change the unity material that UMA material has to the shader graph you created. Then it works. You can work around that hardcoded _Color keyword this way I believe.

Something like this. (Apparently I don't have the _Color keyword setup here and I use an additional detail normal map along with a custom function to merge it with normal map. But you get the idea.)
    shadergraph.png

hopeful likes this.
  7. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Hello Im using UMA in my android game for teens, but the UMA characters look like adults, is there a way to make them look like teenagers?

Thanks

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

For younger teens, decrease the body size a bit, decrease upper muscle and lower weight. Decrease belly. Increase head size a bit, etc. You'll probably want to use the non-muscle version of the male textures also.

teen.png

Something like that.

9. pdinklag

pdinklag

I'm not really using it, the default female eyelashes are. ;)

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

Oh, that is kind of funny, I never realized that. That would pretty much make it so they had to load onto a separate atlas.

hopeful likes this.
  11. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Thanks but it doesnt look like a teen, it still looks like an adult, teens look like those of the kids in the pokemon shows or regular anime, it doesnt look like the UMA characters at all. Maybe there is a UMA teen package?

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not aware of any anime-style teen models for UMA.

13. MGDA

MGDA

Hello, Amidst the huge amount of UMA Material (101s - 202s & 303s dont teach you this on secretanorak although get close) is there any demo/tutorial on importing FBXs purchased from Assett Store into Unity? The Secret Anorak on with Adobe Fuse, blenders version change makes seperating the meshes into different (eye/hair/body) not possible. You only end up with the main FBX exported from blender and you cannot allocate the slots correctly.

A simplified FBX into UMA is desperately needed. All we have learn is how to change hair, male, female, clothes etc. from existing supplied UMAs which is good, but not great for purchasing items on Unity Assett Store and importing them into your game.

195 pages of thread explains how hard it is to get the right info!

14. hopeful

hopeful

This is a long thread, but it did start in 2013. ;)

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can purchase premade UMA items from the Unity Asset store. After you get them, drop the folder onto the 'drop pad' on the global library, and they should work. The items have to be UMA compatible (someone has created the slots/overlays/recipes, etc).

If you see Non-UMA stuff on the Asset Store, you will need to import it into a modeller like Blender, and fit it to the races. The SecretAnorak 200 series videos will show the process for fitting.

umutozkan and hopeful like this.
  16. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Someone needs to create a teen/anime set of clothes for UMA because most of the people playing games are teens so the avatars should be able to look like them, this is what one investor told me when i showed him my app for teens using UMA, threw me to the curb because of it. Unfortunately i dont got the talent to do it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  17. hopeful

hopeful

I think that's a good idea, but ... you'll find that modeling in the Unity asset store skews heavily toward medieval fantasy characters. Apparently that's what most people building games are looking for. Next most common is scifi characters.

In theory, you should be able to modify the DNA (body sliders) of your UMA characters to get one that looks more like a teen. If you need it, there should be an art guide somewhere online that offers suggestions for how to give characters a teenage type look, in terms of body proportions.

Some of the free clothing from Isbit could probably be used for teens. It depends on what your concept of "teen" is, I suppose.

MCS used to have stylish clothing applicable for teens, but they decided to deprecate everything they had in the asset store. There is a package you can buy from DAZ, though, that gives you all of that clothing (plus some fantasy and scifi clothing) in a bundle, plus a separate license for use, so you don't have to buy a DAZ license.

18. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

DAZ clothes can work with UMA?

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

I keep thinking to start a new thread every time we have a new version. But then I see this is the second longest thread in the forums, and my competitive instinct kicks in.

You have to rig them to the UMA models in Blender, and create the slots.

SirTwistedStorm and hopeful like this.
  20. hopeful

hopeful

Well ... first off, MCS is not 100% DAZ. But you can fit any mesh at all to a UMA using a modeling program like Blender. You can, in fact, replace the body art used in UMA with, say, the body art of the MCS male or female model. Just match it to the UMA rig as though it was clothing, and make sure all the UMA bones - like the facial expression bones - are manipulating the new body mesh correctly.

Most human character models have similar proportions. Often from the very start a clothing item from one model will almost exactly fit on another model. So in Blender you maybe change the overall scale of the item a little bit, locate it over the part of the body where it is supposed to fit, and then do some tweaking to make sure character arms are going to line up in sleeves, and things like that. Then tie it to the UMA rig and transfer weights, export to FBX, and load into Unity. More or less.

Secret Anorak has some very helpful videos covering the process.

If you haven't done this yet, it's not all that hard, really, but there are a few steps involved, and you you have to nail them correctly. If you skip a step, you'll have some weirdly distorted, non-functional result. So pay attention and try to understand why you are taking each step in the process.

It's best to pick something very simple, like a matched pair of shoes (not high heels), and take it all the way through the process, including fitting them to the model in Blender, exporting, making slots and overlays, loading those into the UMA global library, and getting a UMA to wear it.

Once you get the workflow down, it's not that hard.

TeagansDad, Jaimi and nsmith1024 like this.
  21. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

Pay someone to do it. You can have someone convert a Vroid model to an Uma.
    https://vroid.com/en/studio/

22. umutozkan

umutozkan

Not Anime but o3n UMA races (an extension to UMA) has a child slider that morphs between child and adult.

There are some modern clothing packs available for the race too. (Not compatible with base UMA characters just the o3n races)

Disclaimer: I am the creator of these packages. So don't take my word for it. See the WebGL demo linked on the asset page or download the free package and try it yourself.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/o3n-male-and-female-uma-races-102187
    All packages:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/23631

upload_2020-2-21_11-3-55.png

23. Ainianu

Ainianu

Hello,
    I am getting these errors when installing UMA, i am not sure If it is an issue with compatibility with latest versions of Unity.

Attached Files:

24. Jaimi

Jaimi

What version of unity?

Ainianu likes this.
  25. Ainianu

Ainianu

HI :)
    That was a far quicker response than i expected!
    I have tried this with 2019.3.2f1 and 2020.1.0a22, both times with a pre-existing project. I posted this prior to really trying much (as i was just heading to bed to get a bit of sleep catch up) So i am about to try it again with fresh project to make sure no odd conflicts with other stuff in my old projects

26. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hmm - I didn't have any problems with 2019.3. I will run through 2019.3 again, and make sure there is no issue.
    We don't support the alpha/beta releases of Unity, because they change so much during development (sometimes you have to make changes, and then undo them, and make different changes). But we will support 2020 soon after release.

Ainianu likes this.
  27. JammyGitGames

JammyGitGames

Hi,
    I have spent the last 2 weeks teaching myself how to do this. It is possible, but takes a bit of effort. The main response I would give to your question is that you can import the blender file directly into Unity, so you don't need to worry about exporting as an .fbx.
    If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Kind regards,
    Ian.

28. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Those are some good looking avatars, wish i had money to buy, especially where you said you have a slider to make the character morph from teen to adult, that is impressive, exactly what i need! Too bad im broke tho...

I showed my android app (which used standard UMA) to an investor, he said the characters dont look like teens/anime, they looked like adults, so he threw me to the curb because of that. if i ever get an investor than i can buy your package, need them to look more anime tho....

29. Ainianu

Ainianu

Hi Jaimi, i have got Uma working in both 2020.1 and 2019.3... In fresh projects, so the issue must be in my own project, and thus my end, so i apologise for that, i should really have done this troubleshoot prior to asking for assistance.

Jaimi likes this.
  30. Jaimi

Jaimi

No problem - glad it's going for you.

Ainianu likes this.
  31. Ainianu

Ainianu

For the record, i figured out what my problem was, i had already an enum called Scene, so the struct with the same name was a conflict, i just changed my old enum since it was an easy fix :)

Edit: and yes that was some of my really early code... who would name an enum Scene anyway?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  32. Jaimi

Jaimi

haha, yeah, we've all done that. :)

33. umutozkan

umutozkan

The base package which includes the races (i.e. male and female models also all the available dna sliders like child) are free. Only the content (clothing etc.) are sold as separate packages.

Even if you just get the free package and start creating your own clothing for them it's still easier than creating new models from scratch. Just saying :)

Secretanorak has great videos showing how to create content for UMA.

Jaimi, hopeful and SirTwistedStorm like this.
  34. MGDA

MGDA

Hello,

Importing into and out of blender and 3DS Max into Unity is easy. UMA is bugged, on Secret Anoraks "Create a Race Part 7 (303 video series) when he imports the model (we have correctly split up into bits) and he generates 4 files. The current build of Unity does not generate them, meaning you cannot carry on.

The video was made in 2018. A Typical NextGen Title has 10,000 bugs in its lifetime. Why on earth wont editor/version and build updates have bugs? Of course thats it. 100% of his tutorial is correct except when Unity Generates the Slots and Overlay. They dont appear.

35. MGDA

MGDA

Hello Jaimi,

We'd be happy to purchase UMA assets on the store (and have done) but there is a bug on Secret Anoraks 303 Create a Race Part 7 video. When he generates the imported blender character (a ASCII FBX as he asks for) creating the slots and overlay does not work on Unity (current version). I even went to his 2 year old 2018 build but it was the same. If the slots and overlay do not generate you cannot create the race (and hence import purchased imported FBXs into UMA).

The exact part of the bug in Unity (or UMA?) is in 7min 25 seconds on this part of the video. He generates 4 files but on current builds it does not generate the 4 files in the video (nothing happens when you click create slot.

Unity imports the blender FBX standalone perfectly including generating its textures. All else is fine.

36. MGDA

MGDA

True. We have found another solution.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

1. When I say purchased UMA assets, I mean UMA assets, not FBX models. There are plenty of assets that include slots and overlays already.
    2. If you are not getting slots from the slot builder, then it should be generating an error in the console. The most common problem is that the model did not generate a skinned mesh when imported into unity.
    3. We recommend to export from the modeller using the parameters in the "uma content creation" pdf (in the UMA folder). If you try to import a random FBX, it will probably not work. It will be all rotated wrong, sized wrong, and rigged wrong.

With all that, it seems you have moved on to a different solution, so i hope that solution meets your needs better.

38. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

39. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  40. Jaimi

Jaimi

41. hopeful

hopeful

42. DankP3

DankP3

@nsmith1024 , i started doing anime UMA almost a year ago, but abandoned it due to other commitments. By chance i started again recently and have most of the female done (vroid to UMA as suggested by another post above), the basic instruction is here from when i first started this: https://umacommunity.boards.net/thread/35/anime-races-wanted. Note , if you decide to do yourself, read the comments to the video first as software updates make it a lot easier than it was then.

I started from scratch last week as the models benefit a lot from cleaning, repair and remapping, so it was easier to do this. I currently have ~10 clothing items (contemporary and uniform, as per vroid) and 2 basic hairs (some cleaning still to do) . I also plan the same for a male. The female looks like she will scale well, including weight and muscularity, should do chibi scale and i have added a couple of face blendshapes too, to allow rounded faces, quick samples attached. All blendshapes/emotes mentioned in the original post are retained.

AnimeFemale.PNG

nsmith1024 and Firlefanz73 like this.
  43. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Yes, Im not criticizing UMA, i love it, i have it in my Android game right now, nothing else out there like it.

But Im just telling you what an investor told me when when i met with them and showed them my game couple weeks ago. One of the reasons they dumped me was because they said the characters looked like adults, and it should be able to look like teens/anime also because teen users dont want to look like adults.

The other reason they dumped me was they claimed my game was doing too many things and not focused on one thing (wow talk about looking for excuses to dump me).

44. Demostenes_cz

Demostenes_cz

I would like to push UMA to this level, but first question is, why this system looks SO MUCH better? Better skin textures? Better skin shader? Hair meshes and textures are indeed much better. There were some attempts on UMA even with photoscan skin textures, but it never looked so good like this:

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA could do this 100%.

The reason that looks so good is: Good Shaders. Great high resolution textures. Great High density models. There is nothing there that UMA (or unity) could not do.

It's all about the artwork.

zisaboy, MGDA, Ne0mega and 1 other person like this.
  46. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

I get this error using 2018.3 using Uma 2
    Assets\UMA\Examples\DynamicCharacterSystem Examples\Scripts\Scene2and3\TestCustomizerDD.cs(178,15): error CS1061: 'MouseOrbitImproved' does not contain a definition for 'SwitchTarget' and no accessible extension method 'SwitchTarget' accepting a first argument of type 'MouseOrbitImproved' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

My first guess would be that there are duplicate "MouseOrbitImproved" scripts, or that you imported a package that overwrote the one in UMA.

Second guess would be that you imported a newer version of UMA in, and the old MouseOrbitImproved did not get replaced.

Solution for both is: Reimport UMA. If you find another "MouseOrbitImproved" script in your solution, remove it.

48. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

Yes, the problem was the script duplicated, thanks.
    Another question is if characters made with older UMA versions work with latests UMA version

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

All UMA2 stuff will work. The slots and overlays for UMA 1.X should work, but will require creating new materials.

50. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

You mean for UMA 1.X i would need to create new materials just using the shaders for UMA2?

unityunity