Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

First - You don't have to build the character after updating the colors if you pass (true) to UpdateColors().
    SetColor() sets the colors of a Shared Color. UpdateColors() looks through the recipe, and updates the shared colors in the recipe. If you pass (true), it marks the character as "dirty", and schedules the texture atlas to be recreated.

Second - Need more information on when you are calling this code.

One common mistake is to try to do these things in the character events.
    This is specifically disallowed, as the events happen during the build process itself. If you are trying to use an event to set the colors and rebuild the character, the rebuild will be ignored.

If you are creating a character, and buildcharacter is enabled on it (it is on the prefab), then it gets a build scheduled right off, and a charactercreated event called. Some people try to change the character there, and that is an error, as the character can't be changed in the process of being built. You could in theory jump through some hoops to make it be rebuilt there, but that just causes the character to be built twice. There are various ways to handle this depending on what you want to do.

If you already know all that, and you're not doing that, then need more information on what you are changing colors on. If you are using the existing races, they definitely have a shared color setup for the "Skin", if you are using your own races and recipes, you need to make sure you have created and assign the "Skin" shared color.

2. bran76765

bran76765

Ok, that's good to know, but since my stuff still doesn't work, here's what I'm doing:

I've simply assigned a method to a button click so that whenever I click the button, it goes through and tries to change the color of the skin to whatever I've set it to. Pretty simple stuff, it's just SetColor isn't working for some reason. Here's the full snippet of code for the method:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void ChangeMaterialBody()
    2.     {
    3.         DynamicCharacterAvatar human = instanobj.GetComponent<DynamicCharacterAvatar>();
    4.         human.SetColor("Skin", new Color(78f, 50f, 8f, 1));
    5.         human.UpdateColors(true);
    6.     }
    That method is called whenever I click a button. So all I wanna do is change the colour of the default human in this scenario to that RGB colour. Which isn't working. It just locks the colour to white for some reason (and also when I go to color pick it, it's in the orangeish yellowish range for some reason)

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

Oh.. I was so used to everyone using the events, I went there first.

Your problem is the color. Possible values for rgba are 0 - 1.0.

so to make the skin green, for example, use Color(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f,1.0f);

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    hopeful likes this.
  4. bran76765

bran76765

Thanks! That did it. I can now modify my colors appropriately lol

5. rasto61

rasto61

@Jaimi Hi, have you had a chance to look at prefabing characters after using the bone builder?

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes. I am unable to get it to work. Your best bet may be to leverage the events to reset the avatar on the components you are using.

7. Turniper

Turniper

Anyone know what's going on here? I've got a custom model skinned to the default UMA body, which I'm trying to turn into a slot (Mostly following the directions in Secret Anorak's 200 series youtube videos). I'm importing from Blender 2.8 as an FBX (Since importing .Blends from 2.8 seems broken), and as far as I can tell I've fixed all the scaling issues, the FBX now comes in with no extra weird rotation or scaling applied to the mesh or bones. When I grab the skinned mesh off the import it looks correct, and seems to deform correctly, but when I apply the skinned mesh renderer to the slot, well, this happens.
    upload_2019-8-5_20-27-51.png

The mutant squiggly pants appear to attach/animate properly, outside of the obvious problem. Unsure where to go from here with further troubleshooting.

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

Have you used the correct fbx export parameters from the "UMAContentCreation.pdf" in the UMA folder? They have changed from 2.79.

9. Turniper

Turniper

I had no idea those were in there and that was indeed the problem. I'd figured out the mesh export settings by trial and error but hadn't known about needing to change the armature settings. Now I have a pair of excessively shiny burlap pants. Thanks a ton!

hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  10. rasto61

rasto61

So this wont be possible out of the box? Wouldnt it somehow be possible to reuse the avatar from the base fbx model if you just need a standard humanoid character?
    I mostly did get this working with the events and just doing the same initialize animator that the bone builder does (character begun works but created does not).
    Is this just not a common use case?

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not completely sure what the problem is. it's probably an issue with the way the avatar is constructed in UMA. We'll definitely look at it in the future. I was able to use Invector and Opsive without having to switch out the avatar in advance.
    My first thought is to leverage the bone builder to construct a compatible Avatar, and save that as an asset, and see if That avatar will work correctly.

12. rasto61

rasto61

Yes, I can use the bone builder with Invector, but as long as the character stays in the scene. When I try to create a prefab and then add that somewhere it doesnt have the avatar. Right now im disabling all components that need to access the avatar, do the same thing the initialize animator does, and then reenable them. It works but feels kind of hacky. I think that if you saved the avatar as an asset within the bone builder that should work without needing additional work.

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

That does seem to work, but the avatar is all twisted! lol. I'll try to figure it out.

14. chaza_li

chaza_li

Hi team,

I realize their is a slight glitch for the DCA's look when I try to load a relatively different uma string to a existing DCA, any recommendations for this problem? I've been clearing slots every time I load the uma string.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

two things:
    There is a known issue where the wrong DNA can attempt the be assigned during a race change, but then it is corrected. This is fixed in the upcoming version (no ETA right now).

It might also be happen if you have "fast generation" turned off on your generator.

16. rasto61

rasto61

Do you mean with the method Im using? It only seemed to work with CharacterBegun. With CharacterCreated/Updated it was twisted.

17. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Has anybody ever tried using UMA with an android build? When build and run it on android it takes several minutes to create the avatar on my phone. I thought it crashed and just left it there, a long time after it appeared. Did anybody see anything like that?

18. DarkCooker

DarkCooker

Hi we are using UMA heavily and now in performance tuning stage.
    We found that the textures to be used for generating the altas in UMA are still existing in memory profiler.
    Can we release/clean those unused textures after generating the UMA altas to free up some memory?

Thanks

guyiyang_xd likes this.
  19. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes. You have to be careful with texture counts, overlays, slots. Etc. These can take a long time to load. Several minutes sounds excessive though. Pare down your global library to the bare minimum.

20. rcthompsonuk

rcthompsonuk

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I'm having a similar issue, was just wondering if this is still an up to date fix? I've got a fresh project in 2018.3.1 with only uma and emerald ai loaded I'm just getting the unpack prefab instance fatal error when I try to setup Emerald on my UMA game object?

I'm willing to set the project up in any version of unity to get these two working together if its possible as these two assets are the foundation of what I'm trying to achieve. Also, is it better to import the latest UMA from github or via the store as I had problems with that earlier in the process?

If this script is the best way forward how do I disable "the Emerald_AI script by default" and I assume I attach the script to the UMA game object after that?

I really appreciate your work guys if someone could please explain this to me preferably as they would explain it to a small child so I can get me head round it. I'm the ultimate coding noob :D

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

Theres no automated way to do it, were still working on that. But if you have a way to do it, should be fine.

22. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

What I have done is set up 1 recipe for the shirt, with a base overlay to control color, and then 30 different overlays for each team logo. Is it possible to do it this way, and just swap out the secondary overlays via code, or should I go ahead and create new recipes for every logo? I'm not a programmer and I'm handing some of these assets off to the coders soon, so I'd like to make this process as easy on them as I can, while also maintaining efficiency on my end (would take me awhile to set up 90 different recipes, since I've done the secondary overlays for 3 different shirts x 30 logos).

23. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows why I'm getting errors when running the game? Seems to be something to do with the LOD script, but I haven't touched that script at all, nor have I done any work on LODs? I *think* this started around the time I started using the o3n male and female races, but I'm not 100% certain.

24. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

i spent a month thinking i could optimize better than UMA, because I did not really understand it. Learn from my mistake: wardrobe recipes are the answer.

also, you make a wardrobe recipe for the shirt separate from the wardrobe recipe for the logos.

you do not have to make a combo home shirt logo, away shirt logo, playoff shirt logo recipies.

just make a home shirt recipe, away shirt recipe, and then a logo recipe using transparency, just like aniraks tattoo tutorial.

then you add to your race text recipe a wardrobe recipe slot name called shirt, and one called logo. when making your slots, both logo and shirt share the torso (or shirt, if you have shirt separate from the torso) skinned mesh renderer. UMA will combine the overlays, so that both logo and shirt save the same texture.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    TeagansDad likes this.
  25. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

So you're saying I'd need 2 recipes for each logo? I'm not understanding why that would be beneficial?

Right now, we aren't doing actual team jerseys. We just have a default UMA shirt, and we want to be able to change the base color of the shirt via code, while swapping out 30 different logos. So the player picks the shirt they want, and the game updates the shirt with that new logo (but same shirt model). So we don't need to worry about things like jersey numbers on the back, or player names, etc. It's just a logo on the front of the shirt that needs to be swapped in and out.

What I've been doing (since we are using existing UMA assets for now), is duplicating the recipe for a given shirt and renaming it, then creating new overlays for that shirt for each logo, so that they act as secondary overlays. The logos have been exported individually for each shirt (male and female) so that they fit the individual UV's of that shirt.

So I just drop the new team logo overlay onto the recipe and it works in the editor just fine. What is it about this method that would be inefficient? Is it more so a code / memory thing?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  26. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

no. you need one recipe per logo, and one recipe per shirt design.

then you need to make 31 recipes. 1 shirt recipe, and 30 logo recipes.

if you set up your uvs well, where male and female shirts are about the same size, and same spots on the UV map, your logo recipes should work on both. So now you need 32 recipes, 1 for f shirt, one for m shirt, and 30 for the logos.

Can't swap overlays in recipes via code.

IIRC, it is your race data that lists all the wardrobe recipe slots. (not slots, those are different). It just a list of names of wardrobe recipe slots, and comes with about 30 by default. you needto make a shirt slot and a logo slot, then make 2 shirt wardrobe recipes, and 30 logo wardrobe recipes. in each wardrobe recipe, assign the logo recipes to the "logo" wardrobe recipe slot, and shirts to the "shirt" wardrobe recipe slot. wardrobe recipe slots only allow 1 recipe per wardrobe recipe slot, so when you swap a logo wardrobe recipe in, the old one goes out.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  27. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

@Jaimi: Any input here?

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

I have a new method coming soon to extract the avatar. Should be checked into develop on GitHub this weekend.

hopeful likes this.
  29. jvillota

jvillota

I am cloning some o3n models (runtime) but they did not show. I always get next error.

Exception in UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at UMA.ColorDNAConverterPlugin.ApplyDNA (UMA.UMAData umaData, UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton, System.Int32 dnaTypeHash) [0x00105] in \Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\DNAPlugins\ColorDNAConverterPlugin.cs:117
    at UMA.DynamicDNAConverterController.ApplyDNAPrepass (UMA.UMAData umaData, UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton) [0x00078] in \Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\DynamicDNAConverterController.cs:238
    at UMA.UMAData+UMARecipe.PreApplyDNA (UMA.UMAData umaData, System.Boolean fixUpUMADnaToDynamicUMADna) [0x00091] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAData.cs:899
    at UMA.UMAData.PreApplyDNA () [0x00001] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAData.cs:1197
    at UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.PreApply (UMA.UMAData umaData) [0x0000b] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:395
    at UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.HandleDirtyUpdate (UMA.UMAData data) [0x00077] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:207
    at UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate () [0x00002] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:280
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:OnDirtyUpdate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:296)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Work() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:137)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Update() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:100)

If someone know how to fix it, please give me some guidance

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

That sounds like a good plan. If you need numbers on the shirt, you could create a numbers wardrobe slot also.

When creating the wardrobe recipes, use the same base shirt slot. UMA will remove the duplicate slots and merge the overlays in the build process.

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm traveling this week. What is in that line of code?

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

How are you cloning it?

There is sample code that shows how to generate one from a prefab in the simple setup scene.

33. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Would that be line 105?

if so it is:

float cameraDistance = (transform.position - _cameraTransform.position).magnitude;

34. arteria

arteria

Today, we release the Female version of our Celts & Viking Costume Pack. Featuring over 70 Clothing items, that can be interchanged in a modular way, allowing many variations on clothing, with each item working in harmony with each other. This pack reflects the Male version precisely, allowing for true clothing selection for Male & Female.

Price discounted at just $50 today, increasing to $100 after promotion week period

Check out the pack details on Arteria3d -
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/col...lts-vikings-female-costume-pack-for-unity-uma

TeagansDad, Jaimi and Firlefanz73 like this.
  35. Vagrant-VX

Vagrant-VX

i have a small problem i have a costume model male and female without the eyes cuz i want to add the Eye Advenced by Tanuki Digital
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/eye-advanced-30762

how/where can i script it so it would bake to same material as my model??

for now i use a C# code to add them afther build as a costume slot
    this is the code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UMA;
    5. using UMA.CharacterSystem;
    7. public class Eyes : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     [Header("General Settings")]
    10.     public Mesh eyeMesh;
    11.     public Material eyeMaterial;
    12.     public List<GameObject> EyesList;
    14.     public void AddEyes(UMAData umaData)
    15.     {
    16.         GameObject headRoot = umaData.gameObject.transform.FindDeepChild("head").gameObject;
    18.         if (headRoot.transform.FindDeepChild("lEye") == null || headRoot.transform.FindDeepChild("lEye") == null)
    19.         {
    20.             GameObject lEyeO = new GameObject("lEye");
    21.             GameObject rEyeO = new GameObject("rEye");
    23.             lEyeO.transform.SetParent(headRoot.transform);
    24.             rEyeO.transform.SetParent(headRoot.transform);
    26.             lEyeO.transform.localPosition=new Vector3(-0.03290832f,0.1006698f,0.003914006f);
    27.             lEyeO.transform.localRotation=Quaternion.Euler(39.265f,0,0);
    29.             rEyeO.transform.localPosition=new Vector3(0.03290832f,0.1006698f,0.003914006f);
    30.             rEyeO.transform.localRotation=Quaternion.Euler(39.265f,0,0);
    32.         }
    34.         GameObject lEye = umaData.gameObject.transform.FindDeepChild("lEye").gameObject;
    35.         GameObject rEye = umaData.gameObject.transform.FindDeepChild("rEye").gameObject;
    37.         if(lEye != null || rEye != null)
    38.         {
    39.             GameObject LeftEye = new GameObject("LeftEye");
    40.             GameObject RightEye = new GameObject("RightEye");
    42.             LeftEye.transform.SetParent(lEye.transform);
    43.             RightEye.transform.SetParent(rEye.transform);
    45.             EyesList.Add(LeftEye);
    46.             EyesList.Add(RightEye);
    48.             foreach(GameObject eye in EyesList)
    49.             {
    50.                 eye.transform.localPosition =new Vector3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
    52.                 eye.transform.localRotation = Quaternion.Euler(-90.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
    54.                 eye.AddComponent<MeshFilter>();
    55.                 eye.AddComponent<MeshRenderer>();
    57.                 MeshFilter eyeMesho = eye.GetComponent<MeshFilter>();
    58.                 eyeMesho.mesh = eyeMesh;
    60.                 MeshRenderer editMat = eye.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>();
    61.                 editMat.material = eyeMaterial;
    62.             }
    63.             EyesList.Clear();
    64.         }
    65.     }
    66. }
    untitled.png

so i would like it to be one material with my character

and then i want to add Realistic Eye Movements by Tore Knabe
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/realistic-eye-movements-29168

can some one help me??

36. Jaimi

Jaimi

Looks like _cameraTransform isn't assigned. That's assigned when the UMASimpleLOD is enabled - straight from the main camera.

change the CharacterCreated and CharacterBegun events like this:

Code (CSharp):
    2.         public void CharacterCreated(UMAData umaData)
    3.         {
    4.             if (!_cameraTransform)
    5.             {
    6.                 _cameraTransform = Camera.main.transform;
    7.                 if (!_cameraTransform)
    8.                 {
    9.                     Debug.LogError("Unable to find main camera!!!");
    10.                     return;
    11.                 }
    12.             }
    13.             initialized = true;
    14.         }
    16.         public void CharacterBegun(UMAData umaData)
    17.         {
    18.             if (!_cameraTransform)
    19.             {
    20.                 _cameraTransform = Camera.main.transform;
    21.                 if (!_cameraTransform)
    22.                 {
    23.                     Debug.LogError("Unable to find main camera!!!");
    24.                         return;
    25.                 }
    26.             }
    27.             initialized = true;
    28.             PerformLodCheck();
    29.         }

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Since those have their own shader, they will always be a separate material (unless you make everything else use the eye shader).

To do this within UMA, you would make your own UMAMaterial, and assign the eye material to the UMAMaterial. Assign that to the eyes slot in your base race, and everything should happen automatically.

as for adding the realistic eye movements, it says they have a 1-click package for UMA. I haven't tried it though.

38. Vagrant-VX

Vagrant-VX

Thanks for the Reply
    Unfortunately my eye are not assigned to the model bones + mesh , I’ll try something and I’ll come back with an update

39. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Just wanted to let you know that this also happens with some of the standard UMA recipes that come with UMA out of the box. None of the facial hair recipes/overlays work for the male, for instance, nor do the eyebrows (the hd ones do).

Apparently this can be fixed manually (author of the o3n male/female sent me fixes for his), but if you guys are still working on UMA it's something you may want to fix for any future releases.

My understanding is that to fix it the overlay textures need to be exported at the same size as the face textures with no rect magic, and placed appropriately on the UV space, and they should work (my results did not mirror his, so maybe see what @umutozkan did differently, as his assets have been updated to work with both build settings).

40. Jexreffy

Jexreffy

I've been attempting to get an UMA setup with VRTK through VRIK. I was able to get it working once I calibrate VRIK, but the UMA is shaking and is very wonky to control. It feels like the Animator and the VRIK solver are fighting with each other, but I can't seem to identify what the solution is?

41. l7ajabi

l7ajabi

"Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.Timeline' (Assets/UMA/Core/UMA_Core.asmdef)"
    I'm getting this error when importing UMA from the asset store all of a sudden today. don't know what's the problem.

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

I will take a look at it. I recommend using WillB's eyebrows, they are higher resolution and much nicer.

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

I wish I could sticky this somehow. This was caused by Unity moving Timeline to a package. select the UMA_CORE.asmdef file in the project, and in the inspector, you can turn on auto reference, or add a reference to TimeLine (depends on the version of Unity). You may need to force the editor files to recompile.

44. LarsH673

LarsH673

Hi, i have some wierd Porblems, iam trying to implement UMA to my game, i had it allready working but somehow i broke my setup without changing a thing. So i tried to redo all the steps i done before to get it working a again, but for a reason i dont unterstand UMA generates two Skeletons.
    step1.jpg
    step2.jpg
    step3.jpg

45. LarsH673

LarsH673

i also cant save the Avatar for my UMA generated with Bone Builder step4.jpg

46. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone has any experience exporting from blender? I'm trying to get the blender files for the UMA characters into Maya and I'm having issues with the export.

Exporting from blender as an OBJ doesn't include the skeleton or any of the skin weighting, but the scale of the meshes is correct. Exporting as an FBX out of blender seems to include everything, but the scale is blown up immensely. I've posted about this on the blender forums as well but just thought I'd mention it here if anyone has any suggestions. I've fiddled with the export settings for multiple file types, but can't seem to nail down the issue.

Best I can tell the issue is that the blender file isn't set to any actual units for scale and is just using blenders arbitrary blender units. Works fine when you import the blend file directly into unity but not so much when you export as an fbx and import into another package.

Suggestions are appreciated as always.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  47. mfitzpatrick-1

mfitzpatrick-1

I'm having a Mesh Hide Asset Problem, is there a reason why the polygon mesh tools are now showing up? Cant see the tools to hide polygons.

Also in the second image when I try to use a texture to hide the polygons, this pops up.

Thank you.
    upload_2019-8-15_15-59-1.png

upload_2019-8-15_15-59-36.png

48. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Update: Got the scaling issue sorted out (sort of), but I've made some shoes and followed Secret Anoraks tutorial for creating new assets / recipes and everything was going well until I tried to use the slot builder. Ended up with this when I go to create the slot (I've followed the tutorial to the T right up to the point of clicking on build slot):

For the record, I'm using the o3n male model as a base mesh, if that makes a difference.

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

No clue. But you have several errors in your scene, might try fixing those, see if it starts working. Also, I think the custom tools box can interfere - you might try turning that off also.

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

It can't find the root bone - that should have been exported with your model. Did you change it in the SlotBuilder?