Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. hopeful

hopeful

I saw this in the notes for 2019.1.

High-influence skin weights
    You can now have 32 bone influences per vertex, and up to 255 with API for skinned mesh renderers. This keeps skin weights’ fidelity consistent at runtime with source content in external programs. This is especially useful for bone-based face-rigging where areas of high detail, such as mouth corners and eyes, require more than 4 bone influences. This will also raise the quality of rigs that use smooth-skinning decomposition so that you can achieve a smoother result with fewer bones.​

I'm not using this yet, as I'm planning on sticking with 2018.4 for a while, but it made me wonder if there's going to be new UMA base models to make use of this feature.

It sounds to me like UMA will be able to add more adjustment bones, which sounds great, especially when you have the ability to remove many of them after character customization has been completed.

My assumption is that this could, for instance, help allow for a single humanoid model that can be morphed between male and female, using only bones (not blendshapes).

Whenever UMA decides to take advantage of that, I'd definitely move to 2019.x.

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

Have you manually changed the sizes of any of the textures? I've seen it where you can get garbage data if you've changed the size and then overwrite the atlas (or not fill it in)

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

No. The AssetIndexer should already be in a resources folder:

UMA\InternalDataStore\InGame\Resources\AssetIndexer.asset

4. Commandermartin

Commandermartin

I'll go look at it. If that model is not in the AssetIndexer, just adding the missing one will fix it? Or do I need to reimport UMA?

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

4 bone influences per vertex is already quite a bit - 32 would definitely give you the ability to have slight nuances, etc.
    I'm not sure that UMA wouldn't already support it, because as far as I recall, it just copies that data from the mesh, and already has to handle a variable amount. It doesn't give any errors when I set the Bone Influences to "unlimited" at least.

If you're interested in a Unisex UMA, David (DOS) is still working on his. Haven't heard from him in awhile on it's progress. I'm looking forward to it also.

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Just open the global library window. That will give you more information. It will report if items are not in the build. It will give you an error if it can't load the library (asset indexer) from the resources also.

7. Commandermartin

Commandermartin

Ah, thanks so much. I rebuilt all the assets and that fixed my issue.

8. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, I'm curious to see what David has been working on. I was wondering if he found the 4 bones per vertex to be a limitation.

If I understood his comment correctly, @umutozkan felt he was running into that limitation when he made his o3n male and female models.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Apparently I posted my question in the wrong area! (Just found this thread). From my original post:

I wasn't really sure where to post this, since UMA doesn't seem to have its own forum, so my apologies if this is in the wrong spot.

I'm wondering if anyone with experience with UMA can help me out? I'm just getting started integrating UMA with an existing project, and I've hit a bit of a snag in regard to UMA's DNA system. All I want to do in this case, is just change the facial features of the standard UMA male and female that UMA comes with using the sliders that appear during run time. In this scenario, I have a few different UMA characters set up as prefabs, and would like to change their appearances individually (nose size, position, etc). However, the DNA sliders only appear at run time, and any changes made there do not persist.

I've watched the tutorials on youtube and the best I can tell, the only way to do this is to code a character creator? Is that correct?

I am wondering if there is a way to simply alter the existing UMA DNA *without* having to code a character creator so I can prototype some facial features/body types quickly, as I have no coding skills at all. I realize UMA isn't a character creator in and of itself, I just want to be able to mess around with the DNA values of my default UMA characters and have them persist without creating a whole new character creator UI.

Thanks in advance.

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can create randomizers at design time that will define the DNA. Take a look at the "UMA DCS Demo - Random Characters" scene. This lets you predefine DNA ranges and slots and colors at edit time. You can use this system to define characters in advance.

Or you can just load up the simple setup scene, and edit all the DNA you want, and save the character to a file. Info on how to do that is here: http://umadocs.secretanorak.com/doku.php?id=knowledgebase:creating_a_customizable_prefab

11. Skyunarankage

Skyunarankage

Your idea is good but equally bad result came out of it. No leg joints. Ect.. thanks though.

12. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Thanks so much I will give this a shot!

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

14. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

That is why I want everything to use the same material. If there are multiple materials, it is multiple draw calls per avatar. An avatar using a alb/norm/spec, cutout alb/norm/spec, two-sided hair, alb/norm/met/AO would be 4 draw calls per avatar. At least that is how I understand it.

I was trying to cram as much detail as possible into that 2048 x 2048. I will probably make the body 512 x 512, because almost all of it gets covered any way in most cases, so I can save space for things people will see , like clothes and hats, weapons, props, etc. I am also thinking of separating the face from the hair, since the face and jaw get only like 25% of the texture, and the rest is for the head, which doesn't need detail like a face does (wrinkles look noticeably bad in low resolution)

I was hoping I could double up on some of the textures with overlays, such as putting clothing over the original body, then covering that in armor, or reusing the head space of hair models that are not part of the original UMA. For example, the beard area on the base UMA model is 1024 x 512. It would be nice to be able to have beard attachments write an overlay over that area, and then have the beard meshes use the same area and UV layout, sharing everything, and still leaving the rest for other accessories.

In other words, I wish I had complete control of how that 2048 x 2048 were laid out. I could cram a lot more detail into that draw call.

But it is also good to finally come to some limits of UMA. Too many options has led to a month of indecision and experimentation.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

I've thought of another thing that might be causing problems.

There are two different sets of race slots for both male and female. When you create an overlay, you have to specify which slot it goes on (like the underwear overlay goes on the legs slot). If your recipe specifies a slot that doesn't exist in your base race (for example, the underwear is setup to go on the low poly race by default), UMA will add that to your character, giving you TWO legs meshes, one which doesn't have an overlay, so you'll get black and junk on it.

16. troyomen

troyomen

Hello! I have recently started using UMA with game creator avatar. Uma character is being successfully driven with the mechanim controller that came with game creator on the asset store. There was only one script that needed to be removed to do this successfully. (a review said that it worked well with UMA so it was one of the reasons I downloaded it) The problem I am finding is that my character's mouth remains open and the current blendshapes in the UMA don't seem to have a Jaw bone that I am able to control. I am new to blender but have recently learned how to create my own blend shapes but I am not sure it would solve the problem and didn't want to attempt it before asking if there is a solution you would recommend.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  17. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is a mecanim problem - when you have a jawbone, and you don't drive it with an animation, it opens the mouth like a large mouth bass.

To get around it, you can either change your racedata to use the TPose that has no jaw (you can edit the race data t-pose field in the inspector). or you can add the Expression player recipe to your character, which will add animations to drive the Jaw - this also gives a bunch more functionality, allowing you to do lipsync with various software (like Salsa) on the asset store, and set expressions, and add random eye movements and blinking.

18. xtrecoolx1

xtrecoolx1

Hi,

I am facing a problem and I can't solve it. I have added a UMA character to my scene and build it for Android. In my old Android device, everything seemed to be working fine. The same APK for my Galaxy Note 8 does not display the character correctly. I have attached the screenshot for this.

I don't if this is related to my build settings or anything but I am using .NET Framework 4 with subset 4.

Can someone help me ?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

Something is seriously wrong there... Make sure your quality preferences have 4 bones per vertex. As well, you might try increasing the scaling factor on your generator to make sure it's not a memory issue. Another thing to check would be GPU skinning - that's broken in some versions of unity.

20. pegassy

pegassy

I think you just nailed what was causing the problem. After all crazy tests I performed to find what is causing the issue, I went back to what I should have thought to check first. I flushed the global library, only added basic UMA files, and then built, and it worked perfectly. Now I am adding various UMA assets I purchased one by one and building each one to find out which one caused the issue. I might as well check if the slots are set up correctly as well. (I just reloaded all my UMA assets, and reproduced the problem. Just to make sure that one of those files was causing the corruption).

Thank you for all the ideas, it was super helpful. I can go back to development after chasing this ghost for three days now... :)

Jaimi likes this.
  21. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hi guys. Another quick question: Is it possible to use Mixamo animations with the standard UMA DCS characters? I followed some steps someone suggested in this thread but it didn't work (character ended up with the legs skating around instead of planted for an idle animation, which suggests the animation isn't aligned to the bones properly) https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/aq531f/do_mixamo_animations_work_on_uma/

Wondering if anyone has experience with this or knows of a guide to implement this?

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah - people use mixamo animations with UMA. It sounds like the animation has a problem with it - if it's correctly setup for root motion, there shouldn't be an issue. Maybe someone with more experience can give you more info.
    Which idle animation did you download? if I have a moment later this evening I can try it out.

23. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Mixamo Animations do work, but they are always best if exported using the model you are actually going to apply them to. That's why I made the mixamo import models and popped them in the Content Creation pack> if you upload them to mixamo, apply you animations and download you will get better results.

However, I've had problems with all sorts of different animations when retargeting them to UMA and non-UMA models. The only satisfactory solution I have found, has been using uMotion to correct the pose. It's a bit of an investment, but you can fix any animation and do a whole bunch more, right inside unity. Check it out: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/umotion-pro-animation-editor-95991

Hope that helps.

TeagansDad, cwmanley and Jaimi like this.
  24. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Thanks guys! You have been really helpful :)

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

I have tested one of the Mixamo animations successfully.

First step is to also download the T-Pose for Mixamo. Create an Avatar from that T-Pose.
    Second is to go into the rig on the Idle animation. Set it to Humanoid, and configure it to use the T-Pose from the T-Pose asset.
    Third - go into the animation tab. Since this is an idle animation and you don't want root motion to move the character, bake the root motion into both XZ and Y.

Then it should work with minimal tuning.

cwmanley likes this.
  26. T_Simps

T_Simps

I'm interested in using UMA in conjunction with LWRP, but I understand that won't be possible until 2.9. Is there a ballpark time window for when 2.9 will be released? Apologies if this has already been asked.

27. cwmanley

cwmanley

There are few people using the LW but honestly that has little to do with UMA . UMA is so much more than a Material or Shader.

Cheers

28. Skyunarankage

Skyunarankage

hopeful likes this.
  29. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hi guys. I'm wondering if it's possible to take an UMA I've generated using the female DCS (with custom DNA I have selected), and spit out an FBX? I'm guessing this isn't possible since UMA does everything dynamically via the UMA Skeleton?

30. kenamis

kenamis

The develop branch on github works with SRP now. You'll still need to set up new races with uma materials, overlay, slots, etc set up to use the selected SRP though.

I made some temporary packages with HD and LW default uma races in the meantime.
    https://github.com/kenamis/UMAHumanHD
    https://github.com/kenamis/UMAHumanLW (only male so far)

hopeful likes this.
  31. Jaimi

Jaimi

I believe this is possible using the Unlogick FBX Exporter:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...-skinned-meshes-terrains-and-textures.434348/

If you just need it to be a prefab mesh, then you can use the power tools:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uma-power-tools-support-v-2-8-1.221290/

If you are just wanting to predesign a character, then you can save a character file and setup a prefab:

http://umadocs.secretanorak.com/doku.php?id=knowledgebase:creating_a_customizable_prefab

32. saltysquid

saltysquid

Jaimi - that answered one of the questions I came here to ask! Thanks!

Question #2 is a long shot. Has anyone here been able to get UMA to work with "Combat Framework"? https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/combat-framework-66826

It's a pretty decent character controller, but I love the flexibility of using UMA, plus I have a whole character customizer in my game which is tied to UMA already. I just haven't been able to get the 2 to play together. It seems with Jaimi's answer I could export a created UMA as a prefab and use it, but I don't think that will solve all my issues.

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

I haven't used that specific framework, but most of these kind of frameworks need an animator and bone setup to be able to hook things up. You can do this with the "Bone builder" on the UMA folder - it will generate the bones for your character, and you can use it to setup the controllers.

Here's instructions for setting up Invector, it should be similar, and may be what you need for that framework.

http://umawiki.secretanorak.com/3rd_party_integration

34. T_Simps

T_Simps

Thanks!

35. saltysquid

saltysquid

Thanks, I'll take a look at that!

36. ph_

ph_

Hi there,
    First thanks for making UMA, it's an incredible tool! I am using it in a non-gaming application, and the quality of the final product is much better thanks to UMA.
    I've got a CPU performance problem since I started using LODs with UMA (see screenshots), can you help me with this please ?

A few more details:
    I started to use LODs, mainly to get the overall poly count down. Since then, I've got CPU spikes which I believe are related to LOD changing and UMA recomputing. I am obviously doing something wrong here.
    In the screenshot below, all blue spikes are from UMAGeneratorBuildIn.Update().
    In code, it also triggers a garbage collection every few frames, which add some other spikes too.

uma_update.PNG

• Unity 2019.1.7f1
    • UMA 2.8.1
    • Races and other data: all from o3n plugins
    • On PC, CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
    • Here's my LOD parameters (but it does the same thing with "Swap slots" unticked
    • uma_lod.PNG
    If I remove the LOD component, everything's smooth; as I never change clothing after generation, and all UMAs are generated on load and nothing after that. The capture above is way after loading, when everything is running and UMAs are walking around the camera.

Thanks for your help!

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

The lod will trigger an uma to rebuild. It shouldn't be constantly rebuilding, unless you have the parameters really tight.
    You can control how much time is spent by the generator using the iterations and fast generation properties on the umagenerator. In addition, you can control how often it forces a garbage collection.

ph_ likes this.
  38. ph_

ph_

Thanks, I think I've already seen this component and tried to tweak the values.
    I am using which I think are the default:
    upload_2019-6-23_8-52-6.png

From what I understand,
    • Iteration count == 1 and Fast Generation == true is already the "fastest" I can get
    • Garbage collection rate, this would only solve the garbage collection spikes, not the other (bigger) one shown above.
    Am I missing something ? Is there a reason why I'd be the only to get this issue, with "only" < 50 UMAs ?

In addition, I've got a few question about the LOD script itself, more out of curiosity than anything.
    Do you know why it is needed to use texture LODs ? Why don't we just rely on mipmaps ? The only thing I could see is for a memory optimization point of view (at the cost of a higher CPU usage).
    And for meshes, I would have expected that when using LODs, the system would preload and build the X LOD levels, then swap it at runtime. Again, I know this would mean a higher memory usage, but for a better CPU usage. If the tradeoff is between memory and CPU, then maybe it could be a checkbox so users can choose what they want.

The thing is, I'm doing my third VR application (the first one using UMAs). I know from experience that I have to be very careful with dynamic allocation. Any dynamic allocation can trigger a garbage collection, which will create stutter for the player. So I target to have as little dynamic allocations at runtime as possible, most stuff is preloaded.
    (I know Unity has released an incremental GC, but I haven't tested it yet and it's experimental).

39. ChickenHero

ChickenHero

I added the my Race, and confirmed that the character appears in the editor.
    However, when I build WebGL, an error is output and characters are not displayed.

UMAResourceNotFoundException: dSlotLibrary (211): Unable to find: MaleEyelashes
    at UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicSlotLibrary.InstantiateSlot (System.String name) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0

(Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)

I found a similar question in this forum and clicked the "Add Build References" button.
    I confirmed that the my Race's SlotDataAsset etc. were set to Assets / UMA / InternalDataStore / InGame / Resources / AssetIndexer.
    Project settings Compression Format is Disabled.
    But if I build again, the same error is printed and the letters are not displayed.
    When I moved RaceData etc. to the Resources folder, the characters were not displayed.
    Is there anything else to check?

Unity 2019.1.7f1
    UMA 2.8.1

40. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uma...-the-asset-store.219175/page-166#post-4427755

41. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I have no UMA Mesh Hide Geometry selector window.

I have only gotten it to appear once before, but it required me restarting Unity.
    But this time, I am having no luck with that.

It's not because I am using LOD meshes, because I tried with a non LOD mesh, and still the same thing. It goes into the new scene, but I get no controls.

Also, is there any performance difference between using mesh hide assets or using an uma made of multiple discrete slots that get swapped?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  42. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hi Ph -

To get less CPU usage per frame, set Fast Generation off, and it will amortize the cost of the generation over a couple of frames (it will build the mesh on one frame, and the textures on another). We should probably look at moving MeshCombining to a second thread since it is asynchronous anyway. If you are only using Texture LOD, this will not have much affect though (besides slowing the initial generation).

Texture LOD gets you the most "bang for the buck". What you are missing with the Texture LOD is that the texture Atlases are, by default, RenderTextures - and they are generated on the fly and live in Video Memory. Mipmaps are only useful in this case for providing a better (and faster) render of the character. You can enable the option "Convert RenderTextures" on the generator to have it create a standard Texture2D instead. This will cause it to copy the RenderTexture to a Texture2D. This is noticeably slower, however.

The system does not prebuild the meshes for each possible mesh LOD at generation time for the reasons you mention. While it could be a useful option, no one has done it yet, especially since the Texture LOD is such a performance boost over not having it.

You are of course welcome to help out in the development of UMA, we are all volunteers and work on it in our spare time, and all help is welcome.

You can quickly test performance in the "UMA DCS Demo - Random Characters" scene by playing with the LOD settings and the generation settings. It generates 200 UMA on the fly from random slots. Try it with and without the UMASimpleLOD on, and with fast generation off and on.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    ph_ likes this.
  43. Jaimi

Jaimi

The Mesh Hide window uses the Active Scene window - if it's not visible by default, it won't work (Unity doesn't set the active scene window until you open it, and view it). That would be my guess as to what is happening. To test this, make sure that you have 1 scene window, and it is open.

When using Mesh Hide Assets, the triangle list is modified to hide triangles that are not visible. It doesn't however, remove any of the vertexes (as they might be used by other triangles). So the drawback of using Mesh Hide Assets is that the vertexes are still there, still get transformed by bones, and the buffer is larger than it needs to be, takes a slightly longer time to upload it, etc. So, if you can fully hide a slot, that is better. But overall, the convenience of using Mesh Hide Assets is a good trade off in most cases (not having to have specialty slots, etc.)

44. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

So this did not solve it, but....

..I had 4 inspector tabs open, some locked. I remembered Unity's Terrain system sometimes freaks when there are multiple inspector tabs open. Long story short, I reduced it to one inspector tab, and now it works. Kind of makes sense now, I probably I had two hidemeshassets open in inspector tab, one of them locked, or something.

Jaimi likes this.
  45. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I run into this all the time, and it seems so random, I have no idea why it works some times, but not others:.
    Sometimes, I make an overlay, with 2048 x 1024 textures, and tell it I want it to be 1024 x 1024, and UMA squeezes it down to make it 1024 x 1024.
    Other times, however, it ignores me, and leaves the overlay at 2048 x 1024, even though I go through everything, all overlays and all wardrobes, and explicitly tell it to do 1024 x 1024. I even redo the entire global library, no luck.

My wardrobe recipe has two 1024 x 1024 textures, and a 2048 x 1024. I tell the 2048 x 1024 both in recipe AND overlay, to be 1024 x 1024, but it just ignores me.

Now, if I in recipe or overlay, I change my 1024x1024s to 2048x1024s, THEN the wardrobe recipe finally decides to listen to me, and stretches my 1024x1024s to 2048x1024s.... ...but I don't want Giant textures for this recipe, I want smaller textures.

46. Jaimi

Jaimi

There are some rules when changing overlay rects:

The initial overlay added to a slot ignores the Rect - it sets the base size of the overlay. Any overlays added afterward use the Rect in the recipe. The only time the rect in the overlay is used, is when it is initially added to a recipe and copied into it.

47. pegassy

pegassy

Hello,

I am getting the following error message on a character that has UMA expression player component added (I think I used the prefab with expression player). The UMA data component does appear on it so I cannot figure out what is causing this. Thank you for help:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Couldn't locate UMAData component
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    3. UMA.PoseTools.UMAExpressionPlayer:Initialize() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAExpressionPlayer.cs:61)
    4. UMA.PoseTools.UMAExpressionPlayer:Start() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAExpressionPlayer.cs:40)

48. Jaimi

Jaimi

Add the "ExpressionSlot" to the Utility Recipes section instead of manually adding the expression player.

49. ChickenHero

ChickenHero

Is there a version that supports WebAssembly?

50. mvaloriani

mvaloriani

Hello!

We develop an application with the UMA models, in which we change the slots at runtime one by one.
    We have never encountered any problems, but some of our users told us that sometime the avatar appears wrong, like in this image:

upload_2019-6-26_13-48-31.png

Do you know the reasons why this could happen?
    Any advice will be really appreciated.