Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

I put a Debug.Log in there instead of a break point, and the event fires but my code is not called.

Any idea why?

2. ecurtz

ecurtz

Those resources weren't found because Unity stripped them when it did the build. You can either make sure everything you want to instantiate is in the Resources folder or add the to the UMA "global library" (which should be described in the documentation pdf, but I don't have it in front of me).

3. ecurtz

ecurtz

It's probably still getting called before you've actually attached the callback. Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with how things work in the DCS parts of UMA but try attaching the callback as soon as you have the avatar, before doing any of the loading or adjustments.

4. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Regards that, some of this text recipes use out of date races in the recipes, so when you try to load one of those, things get screwed up. I'll fix then for the next release

5. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Also, some of the most fancy preset wardrobes and characters takes a REALLY long time to create the character!

Im using Photon for networking, and when i try to load one of the fancy premade characters (like the girl with the big head and shorts, or the dragon looking character), it takes so long that photon times out and disconnects from the network (crashing the program).

It would be cool if you could create the characters using a coroutine, that way photon could run now and then so it can keep pinging the server while the character is being created. Right now everything freezes while the character is being created causing the network timeout.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. rchapman

rchapman

Apologize for what's probably a really obvious question, but after watching 2 hours of videos and scouring this thread I can't seem to find a reference to answer a pretty basic question: how do I save a prefab or set of prefabs that represent UMA Data and other changes I make at runtime? I can see how UMADyanmicAvatar is used in the sample, but there's no documentation that I can find to back it up.

Really I just need to make a few characters I can easily instantiate. I can write custom code for this, but that feels like I'm doing it wrong.

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

You'll need to manually serialize them to a string. Each one can serialize to a less than 1k string in a millisecond. You should send that instead.

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you using a DynamicCharacterAvatar? If so, then the answer is here:

http://umadocs.secretanorak.com/doku.php?id=knowledgebase:creating_a_customizable_prefab

If you are using the older DynamicAvatar, then you serialize it to a UMATextRecipe, and then load that.

9. umutozkan

umutozkan

There is a load and save menu items under UMA menu on top by which you can save a text file for selected avatar. That save file has all the dna modifications, clothing items etc.

menu.png

You can use the text file's content and set it to load / save options on the UMA avatar. That way when you run the scene that avatar will load that DNA and clothing. You can save as many avatar's as prefabs with different text used in the load options.

10. rchapman

rchapman

Brilliant, thanks for the replies!

11. Hellwaiker

Hellwaiker

Hey, So here is what I'm trying to do. I have additional faces setup as wardrobe recipe items similar to Uma's own LowPolyHead. But I run into a problem with replacing the texture.
    If I set new heads wardrobe recipe to "Replace" base race head slot, then the mesh is replaced but the textures do not get updated. So they show textures from the base race head.
    If I set new heads wardrobe recipe to "Hide" base race head slot, then both the mesh and textures get updated to those assigned in Wardrobe Recipe.

How can I force texture update when "Replace" option is used? I prefer this route since this will simplify using Tattoo/Scar overlays for the head.

12. hopeful

hopeful

That you are having this issue seems strange. Reminds me of the old days when we switched everything from gamma to linear.

But if your characters are dark these days, it would pretty much have to be a general lighting issue. If you are using the same shader for characters and props, but are getting different results (like props are bright but characters are dark) you should tell us.

13. dejoshua1

dejoshua1

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to remove the uma animator because the save and restore animator states is interfering with my tpc events.

14. Viggy1996

Viggy1996

Yup! The one that came with the UMA pack.

15. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I got some costumes from Arteria3D and from WillB, they seem all a little bit dark. I am using Enviro for lighting. Maybe my Environment materials are a Little bit too bright. I will check it. Thanks

16. Ins_Py

Ins_Py

Hello,

After installing the asset, I have these errors.
    So I can't use the asset, do you have a solution?

I'm on Unity 2018.3.3.4f1

thx.

17. umutozkan

umutozkan

Have you tried UMA 2.8 from github? I believe 2018.3 issues will be fixed with UMA 2.8
    You can find the github url on uma community forum's main page.

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can remove the animator and the race animators from the prefab, and they won't be added.

19. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

Is there a way to show only clothes, without avatar? I know my mage wears MageChestM and MageLegsM, but just dragging those to the scene does nothing. What would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

Basically I want to be able to find a wardrobe (for example in a chest), and then wear it.

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can create icons for this in the "photo booth" scene. They are also useful for inventory.
    Otherwise, you can create a prefab to show clothing on a DCA without a body. You would need to create a race, and a base race recipe without the human slots or animator.

LoekvanKooten likes this.
  21. Ins_Py

Ins_Py

hi @umutozkan ,

Thx but i have other errors with it.
    I did the API update.

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

Most of those warnings will be fixed in the full release of .28.

The error you have has already been fixed in the RC. My guess is that UMA didn't update correctly. Best is to delete the folder and import again. If you can't do that, delete the examples and CORE folder.

This is the line of code that is showing an error in your version. As you can see it is fixed in the RC:

textureImporter.compressionQuality = (int)UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality.Best;

23. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

This crashes Setup Simple as soon as I select UMAItem under Active Race. I'm sure I did something wrong and am missing something.

24. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

I also screwed up Simple Setup, which may also be the reason... Reimporting does not fix it. Is there a way to get just that file without reimporting the entire UMA?

EDIT: I got it back by deleting the scene and then reimporting the directory it was in.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  25. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

Okay, when I copy the Human Male Race and Human Male Base Recipe, rename them to UMAItemRace and UMAItem Base Recipe, link them to eachother and select UMAItemRace under the UMADynamicCharacterAvatar, I do see a naked male, but the menus don't do anything. This while the UMAItem Base Recipe has the same slots as Human Male Base Recipe.

26. Jaimi

Jaimi

You have to mark your new race compatible with the Human Male, in the settings at the bottom.

27. Ins_Py

Ins_Py

hi
    @Jaimi

deleted and reimport don't fixed this. But i change the code of the line your. Perfect ! i can use UMA.
    But there an other error line 363 : overlayLibrary.UpdateDictionary();

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

You should not have had to fix that line - Did you get the RC3 from here:

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/v2.8rc3

That is the current RC version that should work in 2018.3, and should be ready to import and work in 2018.3 without modification

hopeful likes this.
  29. Ins_Py

Ins_Py

Nope, i had the RC1
    Thanks you.

30. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

I seem to have an invisible avatar of which I can change the clothes now. However, I can't move the camera due to this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMA.Examples.MouseOrbitImproved.GetTarget (UnityEngine.Transform dstTarget) (at Assets/UMA/Examples/Legacy Examples/Scripts/MouseOrbitImproved.cs:131)
    UMA.Examples.MouseOrbitImproved.UpdatePos (UnityEngine.Transform dstTarget) (at Assets/UMA/Examples/Legacy Examples/Scripts/MouseOrbitImproved.cs:173)
    UMA.Examples.MouseOrbitImproved.LateUpdate () (at Assets/UMA/Examples/Legacy Examples/Scripts/MouseOrbitImproved.cs:167)

I've copied and pasted some bones from another avatar (the Bone Renderer only renders Root and Global), but the error persists.

31. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Hello,

I opened the global window for the UMA, and included everything, it says 0 items are not included. But when i build for WebGL and run it in the browser, it keeps giving an error that eyes and beards etc are missing and it doesnt create the character.

I read the docs, but it doesnt say where the assets are in the project so i can manually move it to the resources folder.

Does anybody know where the stuff needed to create the characters are located in the project? Can i just drag it to the resources folder because it seems to be missing from the build but works when i run it in the editor.

Thanks

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's missing some bone it needs. Use the BoneBuilder to create a prefab will solve that issue. You can also get rid of MouseOrbitImproved if you like, it's just sample code.

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

The Global Library works off an Asset Index that is included in the resources. When you open the global library, and force everything to be included in the build, that adds a reference to the index in the resources that force the assets to be added to the resources. There is no need to manually move them there. (I'm assuming you clicked the "Add Build References" button to add references to everything.)
    I will run a quick build of the WebGL to make sure there are no issues that I'm unaware of.

34. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

See above. I've copied and pasted some bones from another avatar (the Bone Renderer only renders Root and Global), but the error persists.

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

Use the bone builder. It will make sure all the bones exist. And if you turned on the option to rebuild the skeleton on the DCA (under "race change options"), make sure you turn it off.

LoekvanKooten likes this.
  36. dejoshua1

dejoshua1

I tried but I get stuck in a t-pose when I hit play

37. Viggy1996

Viggy1996

Hey! When I try to set the rect property parameters(x, y, width, height) in the overlay section of recipes, but it keeps resetting the values to zeroes. Any Idea why?

38. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

That works!

39. Jaimi

Jaimi

Oh, I see - you are wanting UMA not to replace the existing animator when it generates. I don't think it actually does. Actually, I'm not sure of the behavior here, another developer might be more helpful here. First thing though is to make sure is that you use the bone builder to pregenerate the skeleton, and turn off the rebuild of the skeleton under the race change options.

40. Jaimi

Jaimi

I just tested that and didn't see that behavior. I opened up the "FemaleUndies" recipe (don't judge me) and modified the rect. selected a different recipe, then reselected the first one and the changes were the values I had changed it to.

Can you explain in more detail what you are doing?

Viggy1996 likes this.
  41. arteria

arteria

Arteria have just finished some large scale UMA costume work, and having been asked in many emails regarding custom work, I thought id bring a special offer to the community, for the first 10 customers who purchase - it allows you to purchase a full custom UMA costume made for you for just $89.

The following are included
    By purchasing this, you are entitled to have a custom costume made by Arteria3d - This would include the following body group items

• Hat/Helmet
    • Chest
    • Shoulders
    • Wrists
    • Trousers
    • Boots
    • Tabbard/underSuit
    Therefore you could have a knight made, whereby the chest piece, is the Torso Armour, or a sci fi chafacter, whereby it would be his Chest Armour also.

To purchase use the link below, then we will contact you regarding the costume spec

https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/products/uma-custom-costume?variant=21418784620623

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  42. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

But, when I save my Red Robe on an invisible body, nothing happens when I reload it on the DCA. It is set to the correct race, and I double-checked the file and folder name.

43. pahctek

pahctek

[BUG REPORT]
    OverlayDataAsset Inspector sometimes shows wrong number of texture list compared to Debug Inspector view.
    In my case, the overlay data asset has one more texture than the number of UMAMaterial's channel in OverlayAsset.

I thought It is normal to set the number of texture list to umamaterial.
    but sometimes it seems it's not working.

1. UMA Overlay Data Asset Inspector show 2 texture in list.
    2. But There were 3 texture in list internally (I could check it debug inspector)
    3. I had to change the size of texture list manually on debug view.

I have to mange a lot of overlay assets.
    so it's quite uncomfortable.

Systme : UNITY 2018.2.20f Win64 Win7 P4V

44. kenamis

kenamis

Can you provide a screenshot(s)?

45. pahctek

pahctek

I set 3 texture long time ago, and i removed 3rd texture slot from uma mataerial.
    several overlays are managed automatically, but others were not without any warning or recognizable thing except debug view.

UMA material has 2 channels.

Thanks.

46. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, guys, congratulation on releasing the latest UMA2.8.

There is one nasty bug in drawing SlotDataAsset in Inspector, i.e., it goes into an infinite loop trying to display the properties. "Reimporting Small Asset" dialogbox reappears every second.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this?
    Thanks.

47. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

Never mind! It worked.

Jaimi likes this.
  48. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Hey I took a look at what you are talking about there. First of all its only really an issue in 'Simulation Mode' which is the editor only mode that uses assets from the actual project rather than bundles them selves. This is slow because it currently has to use AssetDatabase to find SlotDataAssets/OverlayDataAssets/RaceDatas 'the slow way' (by loading each of them from each bundle and checking if they have the correct slotName/overlayname/racename) BUT once you have actually built your bundles and are using the Testing Server (see UMA -> UMA AssetBundleManagerSettings window from the main menu) then they are not slow (because built bundles have their own Index which solves the lookup problem)

I have spent a couple of days cleaning up simulation mode in Dynamic Asset Loader and adding data for any slots/overlays/races into the *edit time* global index (so they dont affect your build). This speeds up Simulation Mode _alot_ but was unfortunately too late to make it into the latest 2.8 release :(

You can take it for a test drive from here if you want:-
    https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/tree/feature-29-AssetIndexingImprovements
    But as I say once you are actually using built bundles its not slow at all :)

Lathrey likes this.
  49. kenamis

kenamis

That sounds more like a general Unity issue. Did you remove the previously "UMA" folder before importing the new one? or was this in a new clean project?

50. DankP3

DankP3

So a question on slots and the texture atlas...

I thought having the limbs on separate slots would be handy, but I see that since both arms use the same material, that material is included twice in the atlas.

I guess the way is strictly 1 slot per material and making recipe slots and hide assets for each limb, as required?

The alternative would be the Uma builder knowing it has shared materials and accounting for that, maybe this is hard?

Are there any performance preferences between hiding base slots vs extra hide assets, or is it negligible?