Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. derkoi

derkoi

Can anyone help? I've just followed the Youtube video tutorials for adding a Tshirt it's not appearing on the character. I've added the scripts and everything is fine what I can tell. I get no errors so I don't know what's wrong.

Is there anything obvious I might of missed?

Thanks

Edit: I found out the issue, it was the random pool in the UMA crowd component that was overriding my changes in the script.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yep! The random pool didn´t existed back when I recorded those videos, Joen included it to simplify the process for artists, as it require no programming skills.
    Cheers

3. derkoi

derkoi

I was starting to to think I was losing it, I was commenting out code and then running Unity it wasn't making any difference! lol

4. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Very nice art btw

5. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

I was wondering, does UMA support switchable clothing?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. LaneFox

LaneFox

Once you make an avatar you can alter the recipe to make changes to clothes and custom slots/overlays.

7. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Oh excellent. Still getting to grips with it. Also, is it a mechanim only solution?

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yeah. I really can't think of any reason you would actually want to use Legacy.

9. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

one and only reason really.

I use the old locomotion system, mainly for the foot IK and other IK solutions. I don't have UnityPRO so IK is not really much of an option if I use that entirly

10. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there =)
    This is free and really a good IK solution: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/1829
    You might need to do some adjusts for UMA, since bones might not have same axis.

Writing your own IK solver is also not that hard.
    Cheers

11. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

ah excellent thanks Fernando. UMA is awesome by the way. I looked at this a long time ago but I don't think it was even for unity back then though I could be wrong. When I saw it I knew id seen it before. absolutely amazing

12. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

It was initially just a personal project I was developing for my own games =D
    This is the old thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/153689-procedural-character-generation it´s fun reading the old posts hehehe

13. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Yeah I found this ages ago looking for cisrom

14. derkoi

derkoi

Hi Fernando,

I've modified your demo scene and now have an editable avatar that I can save to playerprefs.

I'm in the process of setting up the loading of the players avatar in the game scene wondered if it's pretty much the same components as in the editor scene?

Thanks, great job btw :)

15. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey =)
    This might help:

16. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay! UMA High poly meshes are ready for AssetStore =) As soon they are available I´ll update you guys =D

17. jzela

jzela

Quick question: In the 3dScan help document you state that the overlay name should be as short as possible. Is there a technical reason for that or is it a matter of preference? Also, does the same thing hold true for the Slot Name?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  18. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

This is especially important for multiplayer games, so that serialized avatar file can be as small as possible, requiring less bandwidth.
    The standard UMA serialized formats can also be further compressed for reducing the file size.
    This applies for both Slots and Overlays. For the High poly meshes, we decided keeping the same naming convention from the Mid poly, including the standard prefixes.

Ps: And thanks for buying the overlay =)

19. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, I already used that for saving and loading my character.

What I was asking is that I already have a game scene with a character controller set up. I'd like to load my created avatar to the scene, what components, gameobjects prefabs do i need in the scene to make it work? I'm assuming I dont need all the editing functionality to load a character?

Thanks

20. cynel

cynel

soon my precious

21. SoBiT

SoBiT

Dumb question, but I can't look it up myself at the moment:
    Do the skins and clothes share a material or is it possible to use different shaders for them (would be nice to be able to use a skin shader for the skin material) :)

Thanks in advance!

22. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Actually, assigning different materials would be great. For example on metal armour I would ideally like a reflection shader to be used, but not on everything else

23. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Ahh, ok! Take a look on "Scene02 - serialized" it shows how the UMADynamicAvatar is setup for this. :)

24. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Take a look here, at ~6:00
    Each slot can only have one sample material that defines shader, so you need to separate cloths and skin in this case.

Cheers

25. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Same answer above. :)

26. UnLogick

UnLogick

If you use the binary formats in the UMA Recipe Tools only the hash of the slot and overlay names are used and such length of the string doesn't matter. In the unlikely case of a hash clash it's trivial to rename one of the assets.

27. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

28. DigitalGlass

DigitalGlass

Not sure if this has been answered yet. Say you want a dynamic slots library, via asset bundles. How much work would be involved in getting that to work?

29. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

30. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Had some free time this night =D

31. hopeful

hopeful

I'm an utter noob, but would something like this help?

Multi Material Mask Shader
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/8439

32. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I´m aware of a dev that has integrated AssetBundles into Libraries, I´ll confirm with him the amount of time he spent on this.

33. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

The cloths made for Low poly work on High poly as well (Hand, feet and neck are the areas where volume is slight different, and it might be necessary to swap them entirely). I´ve worked hard to keep as much of Lowpoly volume cage, but I´ll be providing in following days a tutorial on how to handle the overlap areas between body and cloth. =)

34. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

UMA already handle generating a final model using multi material, so this is actually not necessary.

35. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@Fernando,

Very nice work. UMA's gaining traction on quality characters.

36. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

HAHA Awesome

37. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

If I tweak the topology of your female model will it make it uncompatible? Not to knock your work but I would like to make a few adjustments (mainly to the butt and legs).

If it remains compatible would I be able to release the tweaks for free

38. jzela

jzela

These high poly models look great! Can't wait to try them out.

39. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

The only risky of compromising compatibility would be the composition with cloth and gear, so it´s important to match the avatar volume as much as possible. The important part is keeping vertices inside the Mid poly cage, so they are not visible over clothes.
    I´ll work on a tutorial that will cover how to handle that when it happens, using modified versions of body parts.

40. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

=D
    Please let me know if volume don´t match your assets. I´ve already noticed some adjusts I need to do on High poly.
    Cheers :)

Btw, posted about skype group at your thread, send me a pm if you want to join =)

41. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

Hi there

I'm struggling with adding a new garment to UMA. I hope this is the right thread to ask for help. Here's what I have prepared:

1. Import the garment as FBX (it includes the skinned mesh as well as the UMA rig; animation deactivated in import settings)
    2. Create a new UMA slot asset for the garment (I copied and modified an existing UMA slot asset, the male torso)
    3. In the new UMA slot asset I have linked the correct skinned mesh renderer and material sample from the new garment
    4. Add this new UMA slot asset to the SlotLibrary (drag drop; incl. "Order by Name" and "Update List")
    5. Create a new UMA overlay asset for the garment (I used the UMA Material Builder to create it)
    6. Add this new UMA overlay asset to the OverlayLibrary (drag drop; incl. "Order by Name" and "Update List")
    7. In UMACrowd.cs I have added a new item to the SlotData list, using the correct name from the SlotLibrary
    8. Still in UMACrowd.cs I have added an overlay to this item, using the correct name from the OverlayLibrary

However, when I play the scene, the UMA guys pop up nicely, but none is wearing the new garment /-:

I have noticed some differences between the most recent UMA package and the UMA tutorial videos here and here. Maybe somewhere here is the source of my issue:
    • The source code of UMACrowd.cs looks different. In the video "new UMAData.SlotData(" is used, in the package "slotLibrary.InstantiateSlot(" is used. I used the latter.
    • I noticed a difference between the HumanMale and the HumanFemale sequence in UMACrowd.cs. I have added the new garment (slot) in the respective manner (fixed referencing in the HumanMale part, dynamic list in the HumanFemale part)
    • The "SlotElement" script shown in the videos got replaced by assets with the script "SlotData"? I used "SlotData" for the slot asset (copied it over from the Torso and modified it).
    • While the SlotElement in the video held an attribute "OverlayList", this one is missing in the SlotData asset. Might this be an issue and the reason for my problem?

Any hint on why the garment is not showing up on the UMA crowd is highly appreciated. Maybe it's because my garment is too ugly and the UMA crowd refuses to wear it (-;

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  42. Brian-Brookwell

Brian-Brookwell

I've been looking through the rig for the female UMA avatar and have noticed a number of extra joints such as RightForeArmAdjust, RightForeArmTwistAdjust, etc. I'm trying to create a new race (Mermaid) and wonder how these are used so I can incorporate the equivalent ones in my race.

43. ecurtz

ecurtz

The crowd scene in the newest Asset Store version of UMA uses a data set for generating the characters, so if you don't add your slot into that you won't see it. They are located in UMA/Example/RandomSets. I don't know if it's documented anywhere yet, but if you want to hack your dress in there for testing you should be able to replace one of the entries with only a single possible slot.

The xyzAdjust bones are used for the actually skinning of the UMA character. The meshes aren't skinned directly to the regular bones because scaling and moving those will do "bad things" to animations. If you want your character to adjust to DNA changes in the same way as the base UMA characters you need to use this same skinning. In your example there's nothing skinned to the RightForeArm bone, which is the "normal" bone, everything is attached to the child RightForeArmAdjust bone instead, because that bone can be safely manipulated.

44. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

just a thought, if I was to animate the UMA character models in say, 3dsmax, could those animations be imported and used as legacy animations at all? I'd like to avoid Mechanim if I can. If I can't then fair enough but I just thought I would ask..

45. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

We're having some issues where parts of mesh slots are missing when added to a UMA character. Viewing the mesh in a scene normally its fine and all there. It also looks fine in blender, but attached to a character part of it is just missing. Any ideas? It isn't being clipped by another slot as I've tried removing all the surrounding. It's supposed to be a knee high boot but it only imports the bottom part of the shoe. I wouldn't see any reason for UMA to enforce that the "shoe" slot is contained on the foot right?

46. ecurtz

ecurtz

The animations will work, but you'll lose one of the big advantages in UMA because they won't retarget if the character's limbs change from the animated version. You'll also have a few pieces of leftover Mecanim junk on the created characters you may want to delete or slightly modify the generation of.

47. ecurtz

ecurtz

You may have to wait for Fernando, but some things to check out - Is it possible the boot model has multiple materials and only the sole part is material 0? Is the geometry definitely missing or is it just scaled flat in one axis? Is the part that is there hooked up correctly, e.g. does it scale with the foot size?

48. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

My thought was to only animate the skeletal bones that don't control the scale. But maybe its a dead issue. It was just a thought

49. adventurefan

adventurefan

Anyone work on UMA content in 3ds max? I'm just curious on tips to set up the scene.

For example importing male seperated fbx messes up the viewport camera for me a good deal (object just disappears zooming in on perspective mode) and things are fussy with the camera in general. I think because UMA models might just be too small for Max?

Is there a way to adjust max camera clipping properties or would it work to size the model way up and size it down later? I do find it's a little bit manageable using orthographic camera mode but it still feels off from working normally.

50. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there, this might help: