Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jschilz1

Jschilz1

Curiosity, i have a shirt made with a collar but the collar keeps getting pulled by the turning of the head is there a way to keep the collar mesh from being affected by the animation of the head when it is a chest object

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes - this happens because of the bone weights. You just need to make sure you don't weight the collar to the neck bone. You'll need to make sure you dont scale the neck over the collar though.

Another option (better, but more work) would be introducing a new bone for collar scaliing, and then make the DNA that drives the neck scale, drive that bone also.

arteria, umutozkan and Jschilz1 like this.
  3. AiRobotMedia

AiRobotMedia

Hi All

I am just using UMA for the first time. It does everything that is required for my next project. Just what I am looking for.

I have a problem though, I am building for android and the apk file size goes from 22,459KB (blank unity app) to around 144,000KB with UMA added. Its the standard UMA package from the store.

Is there a way to reduce the size of what UMA puts in the apk.

thanks.

Edit: I have been removing stuff from the UMA directory, to reduce file size. Have got it down to about 54,522KB. I have deleted a bit much though, because the female is no longer working. Is there any guidance on what is essential and what is required?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    arteria likes this.
  4. arteria

arteria

Thought I’d post our special Black Friday deal for all our UMA products, we have discounted all by 82% today only, on over 50 Uma packs, as a kind thank you to all the kind support from Uma users and devs alike

Our Uma products are based here:
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/collections/uma

Jschilz1 and Bantichai like this.
  5. Bantichai

Bantichai

Had a browse of the UMA models and honestly Steve, $3.60 for a Spartan warrior at that detail is such a steal :p

arteria likes this.
  6. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I need that Monk and that wizard, these are new and very well done :)
    then I have a wizard with a cool wizard hat at least, Thanks for that!

And that Samurai does absolutely not fit into my game but it Looks so cool...

The others are also great, but I already own many of them. Great Job and great Prices :)

arteria likes this.
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Basically, the things that are taking up the most space are the "slots" and the textures - everything else is pretty small comparitively. The Slots are basically the meshes - they are what is used to construct the final mesh. So in the end, the way to reduce size is to remove the slots and textures that you don't need. You can look at the "base race recipe" that you are using so you can see what a race is using (slots and overlays - overlays are the asset that describe what textures to use). It might be easier to look at the Global Library, and you can "inspect" the races, overlays, slots, wardrobe slots (etc) from there, and see what pieces you will end up needing.

8. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Would be nice to see Power Tools on sale

9. AiRobotMedia

AiRobotMedia

I'm using the Global Library Tool now to remove unwanted items from build. A lot smaller size.

Thanks alot Jaimi.

Jaimi likes this.
  10. flow-

flow-

Hey we are trying to add extra bones to a Recipe

We have a Belt for our Character which need to have anker points to hold equipped Items on the Character...

We have try to just add this Anker Points and use the Slot Builder to create our Recipe but the Anker Points don't show up on the Character, so how does this work?

EDIT: My Artist already fixed it, it was just a matter of the bone structure

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Should work automatically. Make sure that the DCA is set to rebuild the skeleton.
    Also, make sure that the bones you want to keep have some vertexes weighted to them, otherwise they won't be included.

flow- and hopeful like this.
  12. tredpro

tredpro

Having trouble getting the uma models to show up when building. I have already built references

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

Do they show up when running in the editor, but not in a build?
    Then it's a problem with it not finding the resources. Usually this is the build references. But there are reported issues on mobile devices accessing "character" recipes from the file system as well, so if you are loading the UMA as a character, you may need to do that programatically.

Otherwise - please capture any console logs, and report back and I can take a look further.

14. tredpro

tredpro

I'm building for PC and I'm clearing references and trying to build again. And it does work in editor just not build

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

You definitely don't need to clear them - that would make sure they don't show up for sure. They need to be added (using the "Add build references" button).

If adding the references doesn't work, then it must be something in the way they are being loaded. Will need to see the console errors.

16. tredpro

tredpro

Well I'm not getting any console errors and after building again. I have the same issue. Checking the log for my game shows an issue with dk_umacrowd so I'm trying to see if I can find what's causing it and fix that issue and hopefully that will fix this

17. Kushovu

Kushovu

Hi there! i searched around this but didnt find to solve my problem, hope someone could help

i want to make animations in blender for UMA, i would like to know wich would be the best pipeline for this because i got the animations working on blender with the Content Pack 1.1, also when saved as .blend file on unity, on the inspector it seems fine but when put on UMA character i has a sightly difference that make arms clipping, i can correct that from blender but i want to know if there is a better way to do this because in the inspector it seems Fine with the same model but on runtime it just seems different, also i set the Avatar to humanoid and cofigured T Pose, Also triend to set the Rest pose of the content pack to a T-Pose instead the A-Pose that it has but none of this get this fixed, any idea?

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

Have you tried changing the TPose on the race to the mecanim-friendly version?

19. Kushovu

Kushovu

Directly on the uma race avatar? seems to be fine, i checked on uma Core and on FBX Male Unified, idk if there is another avatar to check?

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

I mean on the RaceData for your race - there's a spot for the tpose asset.

21. tredpro

tredpro

I did a fresh build of uma (and dk uma) on unity 2017.4, 2018.2, and 2018.3

Same issue on all 3.

I built my game out back in like July and it worked. I dont get why it isnt now

P_Jong likes this.
  22. tredpro

tredpro

Did your issue ever get fixed? Of so what was the fix?

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

Just a quick note - tomorrow is Pixel Crushers day in the Unity Christmas 2018 Giveaway. We're giving away over a dozen vouchers for high detail UMA wardrobes as a holiday gift and thank you to our customers. Happy holidays!

hopeful, boysenberry and Jaimi like this.
  24. Prod212

Prod212

Hi, ok so I made this belt for an UMA character as a clothing recipe and we have DNA set for this character but when I adjust all the sliders to change its body type, this belt does not deform with the character. So how can i fix this issue? These images below shows the issue and as you can see the first image shows the default DNA but when I change it, the belt does not deform and clips through the character.

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

It needs to be weighted to the adjustment bones. If you're in Blender, you'll want to use the "Data Transfer" modifier to copy the weights (vertex data/vertex groups) from the character mesh to the belt.

hopeful and umutozkan like this.
  26. Dark_Swordsman

Dark_Swordsman

Hi everybody,

getting started with UMA DCS, amazing package so far!

What is the best process to create customized normal maps for UMA characters? My approach would be to sculpt on top of the supplied blender file and then bake it. However, this way I have to redo the skin detail which is already contained in the default normal map - or will it be preserved when I put in the new map as a secondary overlay? How is the default normal map created, is there a sculpted version somewhere?

Another problem I have in this regard: I exported the UMA model from unity as obj and imported it into blender. This way I am able to sculpt on the actual face and not the default face. However, this has the problem that the UVs are already combined with the body and eyes - is there a way to avoid this on export? Redoing the adjust-bone transformations in blender would be quite cumbersome.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  27. Harekelas

Harekelas

@Jaimi
    Hi, I've met an issue when building the game:
    I've got these errors on a build game when loading the uma character:

UnityEngine.Resources:LoadAll()
    UnityEngine.Resources:LoadAll(String)
    UMA.DynamicUMADnaBase:InitializeDynamicDNADictionary() (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\DynamicUMADnaBase.cs:65)
    UMA.DynamicUMADna:FindMissingDnaAsset(String) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\DynamicUMADna.cs:214)
    UMA.DynamicUMADna_Byte:ToDna() (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\DynamicUMADna.cs:301)
    UMA.DynamicUMADna:LoadInstance(String) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\DynamicUMADna.cs:248)
    UMA.UMADna:LoadInstance(Type, String) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Content\UMA_Core\HumanShared\DNA\UMADna_Generated.cs:63)
    UMA.UMAPackedRecipeBase:UnPackDNA(List`1) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:785)
    UMA.UMAPackedRecipeBase:UnpackRecipeVersion3(UMARecipe, UMAPackRecipe, UMAContext) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:894)
    UMA.UMAPackedRecipeBase:UnpackRecipe(UMARecipe, UMAPackRecipe, UMAContext) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:35)
    UMA.UMAPackedRecipeBase:Load(UMARecipe, UMAContext) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:20)
    UMA.UMATextRecipe:Load(UMARecipe, UMAContext) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\Extensions\DynamicCharacterSystem\Scripts\pUMATextRecipe.cs:178)
    UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar:LoadCharacter(UMARecipeBase, List`1, UMARecipeBase[]) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\Extensions\DynamicCharacterSystem\Scripts\DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:2681)
    UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar:BuildCharacter(Boolean) (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\Extensions\DynamicCharacterSystem\Scripts\DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:2620)
    UMA.CharacterSystem.<BuildFromComponentSettingsCO>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at G:\Work\Project Survisland\Project\Survisland2018\Assets\UMA\Core\Extensions\DynamicCharacterSystem\Scripts\DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:513)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

And it stucked my build, anyone know what may caused this?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  28. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is the line that is failing:

DynamicUMADnaAsset[] foundAssets = Resources.LoadAll<DynamicUMADnaAsset>("");

Basically, it's trying to load the DynamicUMADnaAssets from the resources. You should look in the Global Library, and make sure they are both in the "DynamiUMADnaAsset" section, and that they don't say "<not in build>".

Harekelas likes this.
  29. Jaimi

Jaimi

I don't believe the original UMA models used normals created from a high poly mesh. The current set of textures that ship with UMA are addons that Willbgameart made, and then donated to the cause. I think if you want to make more detailed models, you will end up having to take a high poly mesh, match it to the UMA model as best as possible, and then create them from scratch.

hopeful likes this.
  30. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not even remotely sure about this, but Blender has a Displace Modifier which might take a height map as input to create physical displacements on a mesh. (?)

Another thing I have never tried is the the GIMP normalmap plugin, which is supposed to convert a normal map into a height map.

So ... if this really works, you could get there with free software. First, convert the normal to a height map using GIMP, and then in Blender apply the Displace Modifier to an existing high poly mesh.

But the devil could easily be hiding in the details. Perhaps somebody else here has experience with this ...?

31. Harekelas

Harekelas

All items are fine 0 is not in build:
    upload_2018-12-7_19-1-59.png
    But still got that error.

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not sure what is going on - that is an error happening inside Unity when it is searching it's resource database. What platform are you building for, and what version of Unity? I know that UMA has been tested on Windows/Mac/IOS/Android/PS4/UWP.

33. Harekelas

Harekelas

I'm on unity 2018.2.16f1, and building for windows 86&64.
    I've tried to let uma use the loadallassets to load in editor, it returns an empty list. But it doesn't seem to affect any gameplay in my project, the character still can be built correctly.

34. zisaboy

zisaboy

HI, I create slot for wardrobe. but, I don't know how to use slot dna?
    If I have wings in wardrobe, and I can use slot dna to control wings size and many more?
    Have any tutorial?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  35. Jaimi

Jaimi

This maybe a folder permission issue, or a problem with the file system implementation (ie - the folder is too deep, etc). All I can suggest is to try writing the build output to a local folder (not a network share) that is off the root, and has the right permissions. The folder and build exe name should not have any special characters in it. You might also try reviewing the player settings, making sure you are using a full .Net implementation (not a subsystem), and no experimental features.

36. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes - that's what it's for. It's just a regular DNA converter that gets added when the slot is added. You can create a DnaConverterBehaviour and DnaConverter and add it to the slot. You can either use Dynamic DNA (which is setup through a UI, see SecretAnoraks videos), or you can create a converter in code (see the "Tutorial" dna converter).

37. Harekelas

Harekelas

We are using the job system from unity 2018.2, it's an experimental feature. Can this be the reason?

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

I wouldn't think so, it doesn't seem related - unless you're calling the UMA initialization code from inside another thread, that might cause a problem.

39. Harekelas

Harekelas

No, I'm calling it in the main thread.
    Our own UMA assets are not located very deep, but they are not in the resources folder. They are packed as dependency through our own scriptable object. So in build the function cannot find anything and returns an empty dictionary to me. Is this related to the error? Maybe unity logs the loadall method when it found nothing?

40. Jaimi

Jaimi

The global library is doing the same thing - it's in the UMA/InternalDataStore/InGame/Resources folder. .This contains a reference to everything that UMA thinks it needs to build objects on the fly. This will result in those assets being included in the resources when built. You haven't moved that, or modified the build to move resources around, have you?

41. Harekelas

Harekelas

No, didn't meddle anything from the UMA folder. And even with this error, even it returned an empty dictionary, all my characters are still working fine in the build. It's just the load all method will freeze the game a dozen seconds and throw a lot of errors in the output log.

42. cmkeller97

cmkeller97

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm trying to make the most basic characters possible for a demo I'm making for a class, and when I try to follow the basic tutorials, the DynamicCharacterAvatar script is not generating a UMA Data component. I have no idea what might be causing that, and I'm lost. My only thought is that it might be that the version of Unity I'm using is too recent (2018.2.16f1) but I can't figure out whether or not that's the case from the UMA documentation, as I'm still so new to Unity that it is mostly too complex for me to understand at this point. Help???

43. kenamis

kenamis

Do you have any errors in the console related to UMA?

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

I just did a 2018.2 build, reviewed the logs, and didn't see the error or slowdown - I think the error must either be environmental in nature (permissions, etc) or (longshot) some other asset messing with the state of the application.

But if you're only concerned about the delay - you should check out the global library and make sure that it's really not the Global Library being loaded. If you have a ton of UMA assets, you can see delays loading the global library in that range - it's just a function of how long Unity takes to load assets. (by a ton - I mean "every UMA asset on the asset store" kind of ton).
    If you need to have a large number of assets, you'd need to start looking at putting them into Asset Bundles, and demand loading them when needed (this happens automatically when using Asset Bundles in UMA)

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

Make sure you start out with a new scene. Drop the UMA_DCS prefab into the scene, and then drop the UMADynamicCharacterAvatar prefab into the scene. Put a cube under it, make sure the camera points at it, and press go. That should work.

UMA_DCS and UMDynamicCharacterAvatar are in the "Getting Started" folder.

46. cmkeller97

cmkeller97

I did exactly what you said, to the best of my knowledge, and I'm still not getting UMA Data. I'm also not getting any errors. I've attached a screenshot of the unity window after having loaded the scene once. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

47. kenamis

kenamis

Currently, UMA is a runtime system, meaning you have to be running the scene to see the UMA generate.

48. cmkeller97

cmkeller97

That explains a lot! Like I said, I'm super new to everything... Thanks for helping me out with my newbie questions!

Jaimi and kenamis like this.
  49. zisaboy

zisaboy

That's great.
    If I 'm not use humanoid skeleton to control and, I can separate use slot dna to control equipment size and many more?
    Equipment need own himself skeleton?

For example, if my humanoid have a shield in left hand.
    I can separate use slot dna to control shield size and, not change left hand size?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  50. Jaimi

Jaimi

DNA doesn't actually need a skeleton - you can even setup DNA that all it does is call delegates with the value, and you can do whatever you want (you'll need to use Dynamic DNA to do this, though).
    We generally suggest to people that they attach weapons to the character through the normal process (just to parent them to the hand, etc). However, you can make a sword/shield into a slot, and then make wardrobe recipes for it - and this does let it be merged into the model. When you do this, though, you do have to add bones to it and rig it if you want to adjust it.

zisaboy and umutozkan like this.