Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. maggie3

maggie3

Hi guys!

I am kinda new to UMA, but liking it so far.

Besides from transitioning mixamo clothes into uma wardrobe recipes, I am trying to make a whole new set of clothes

from scratch via blender.

The FBX model is fine and all take cared of with uma slots. But I am having a hard time with textures.

Can anyone tell me some links to UMA texture or blender texture tutorials?

Thanks in advance.

2. kenamis

kenamis

What you want to make are "UMA Overlay Assets". Overlays hold references to your textures and match up with a UMA Material. There are standard UMA Materials for (Albedo,Normal,Metallic/Roughness) (opaque and cutout) as well as others, you can make your own too.

Once your overlays and slot are complete they are linked in your wardrobe recipe.

http://www.umawiki.secretanorak.com/Overlay

Hopefully that'll help you get started. PM me if you need more detailed help.

3. dudedude123

dudedude123

I have an error

Overlay 'Boxer_helmet_black' doesn't have the right number of channels
    Overlay 'Boxer_helmet' doesn't have the right number of channels

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

This means that the overlay doesn't have the right number of textures for the material. If you material is expecting 3 textures, then you must have 3 textures in the overlay. If you are wanting to supply only 2 textures (albedo + bumpmap, for example), you should create a new UMAMaterial for this.

What shader are you going to use, and what textures do you want to supply it? I can help setup the Materials.

5. dudedude123

dudedude123

I have the overlay setup like this 2017-07-17_23h29_56.png 2017-07-17_23h46_37.png

6. kenamis

kenamis

The UMA Material you are using "UMA_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic" only takes 3 textures and specifically in element 0 - Albedo/Diffuse, element 1 - Normal Map, element 2 - Metallic/Roughness.

Do you have a shader and specific texture channels in mind that you are trying to use? From your texture names I'm guessing you're trying to do a specular shader with an additional height map?

7. aditya-tfg

aditya-tfg

Hi guys,
    Having a real hard time getting new custom models(derived from UMA 2.5 base models) to work in UMA since UMA 2.5.
    Models in legacy rig setup works fine in UMA 1 but on Humanoid gives "Key Not Found in Dictionary" error. I have gone through all the content creation and race creation videos by SecretAnorak (which works great in UMA 1 and Legacy Rig setup) but not with UMA 2.5+ and Humanoid Setup. Any pointer in right direction would be great!
    Thanks in advance.

8. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks Jaimi!

Works again.

9. kenamis

kenamis

Are you referring to the "Animation Type" in the rig import settings on your FBX? If so that should be legacy or generic. It's in your race recipe that the "UMA Target" is set to Humanoid so that a humanoid rig is used for mecanim.

EDIT: I was incorrect, you can use humanoid on the import settings. Does your console error says where the "Key Not Found In Dictionary" error is happening at?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  10. dudedude123

dudedude123

What material I should use?

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

If you want 4 textures for your material, you should create a new Unity material, set the shader, and add a dummy texture to the 4 different textures in the material you want to use. Then create a UMAMaterial, assign that material to the UMAMaterial, and setup the keywords for the different textures that you are using. It's probably easiest to copy the UMA_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic, and just add the new material and keyword to the new copy.

12. aditya-tfg

aditya-tfg

"KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,UMA.UMASkeleton+BoneData].get_Item (Int32 key) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:150)
    UMA.UMASkeleton.EnsureBoneHierarchy () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMASkeleton.cs:652)
    UMA.UMAMeshData.CreateTransforms (UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:769)
    UMA.UMAMeshData.ApplyDataToUnityMesh (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer renderer, UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:614)
    UMA.UMADefaultMeshCombiner.UpdateUMAMesh (Boolean updatedAtlas, UMA.UMAData umaData, Int32 atlasResolution) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMADefaultMeshCombiner.cs:140)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.UpdateUMAMesh (Boolean updatedAtlas) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:275)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.HandleDirtyUpdate (UMA.UMAData data) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:226)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:257)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Work () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:132)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Update () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:97)
    "

Probably it doesn't seem to like the rig setup. But what makes me pull my hair : 1) Same model works fine in UMA 1.1 and rig is changed to Legacy, 2) I opened 'Female_Unified.fbx' from UMA 2.5 core content in Maya/ 3DSMax and just re-exported it with default settings and units in meters, centimeters... matched the scale factor and everything, but it just doesn't work n gives error mentioned above. After extensive debugging I found that when I create base recipe, bone count is 155 n when I spawn my uma with same rig setup bone count is 156 and probably that is where it throws the error. This is some data but I honestly don't know what to do with this data, since the rig setups are exactly the same.

13. kenamis

kenamis

Can you determine which bone it is failing at by either; attaching a debugger, adding a debug.log in UMASkeleton.cs, EnsureBoneHierarchy before "entry.boneTransform.parent = boneHashData[entry.umaTransform.parent].boneTransform;", or determine the last created bone in the uma heirarchy at runtime?

14. BruceBarratt

BruceBarratt

Hi Guys,

I love 2.6.

Is it possible to have the colliders for cloth generated with the slot? When I add them to the skinned mesh renderer they don't appear on the build UMA. Getting good results with just constraints seems fiendishly difficult if even possible for something like a skirt. I notice that in the example the cloth starts low down and has no colliders. Is that because the system has that limitation at the moment? If so is it something that may be improved?

15. kenamis

kenamis

Thanks!

It is possible, you'd just need to write a small script to add colliders when the slot gets added. There are callbacks on the slot that you can tie in to.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There are the cloth properties that are settings for how the cloth physics acts and then there are the individual vertices constraints for how far the vertex can travel.

It is a limitation. There is no way to exclude vertices from the cloth simulation, so Unity's own response has been to cut up the mesh (creates nasty artifacts). That's what you're seeing at roughly the knee level in the cloth example scene. If it was one whole piece then all the other vertices (even if set to 0) would get pushed out by the avatar colliders. I suppose we could improve it by allowing a way to selectively add colliders to each cloth component. Unity has cloth improvement in the near future in their roadmap too, so we can hope.

16. BruceBarratt

BruceBarratt

Thanks for the quick and helpful response!

Simple as adding a small script to a callback. Nice modular system isn't it. Gives me a good feeling.

Yes I guess there are quite a few things to toy with regards to those settings and the constraints. It's just that without colliders I would be limited to the relationship between vertices and their neighbors and the cloth settings affecting those relationships. No obvious way to represent a leg swinging into the skirt. I noticed on the example the trouser leg matching the skirt trying to make the penetration less noticeable.

I haven't tried it with the colliders along the upper legs yet. I can't quite imagine the problem. Would the upper leg colliders give too much momentum to the upper part of the cloth? Oh I think I can imagine it now. It probably swings the skirt aggressively forward and the bottom part just flies up. Is that roughly the problem?

Yeah I read about the cloth improvements. If you could turn off or scale collider influence per vertex that would be pretty helpful. I hope they improve the workflow too. It's obviously pretty clumsy.
    So my script just has to place the colliders in a sensible place in the bone heirarchy. Then if it wants to be affected by child or sibling bones I can add a script that does that on update.

It would be great if you could selectively add colliders. I can't imagine what the workflow would be.

17. kenamis

kenamis

@BruceJRBarratt there should be full body collider setups in the two physics demos (that includes the cloth). They are getting added by the physics recipes, either standard or HD. That be a good example if you want to make your own custom one.

hopeful likes this.
  18. BruceBarratt

BruceBarratt

Lol. How did I not see that. Looks great thanks again.

hopeful and kenamis like this.
  19. aditya-tfg

aditya-tfg

Hi,
    Thanks for your time but I figured out the problem and the solution. It was probably my mistake:oops:. A simple way to put it, any custom mesh that we want to use as slot should be set to Legacy in Rig Import settings. I set it to Humanoid thinking that it would be part of humanoid/generic rig setup so the slot should also be Humanoid. Turns out this was the root of all the trouble. Once I set it to Legacy(Just like it was done in tutorial videos), I worked just fine.
    PS: Just in case anybody is wondering what is the Rig setting for the base model, it should be set to Generic (I was assuming it was Humanoid:p )

kenamis likes this.
  20. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

in my title menu and character Editor I have two uma just Standing there (and talking).
    They both move their feet a lot.

One has the animator "Locomotion with head", the other a mixture of own idle animations.

In "Locomotion with head" there is only one animation, the Checkbox "Foot IK" is set (I do not see a difference if it is set or not).

How do I stop their feet from moving in their Standing / idle animations?

Thanks a lot!

21. kenamis

kenamis

That should be the fix for your issue. The "fook IK" checkbox is per animation state, are you sure it is turned on on the problem animation?

22. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Yes it is.

23. kenamis

kenamis

This is a long shot, but I think you need root motion turned on, have you checked that?

24. zephlord21

zephlord21

Hello,
    I am absolutely loving UMA, and am going to start using in a medical trial for some patients soon, but I am having some issues with it.
    I am transferring a UMATextRecipefrom a PC to a mobile client, but when the mobile client reads the recipe, the DNA transforms are not applied. Would this be an issue with the Global Library not loading the proper DNA or something in the UMATextRecipe, or something else?

Also, is there a way to add/modify the body hair overlay? I cannot seem to access it when customizing the UMA.

Any feedback would be lovely. Thank you!

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

How are you applying the DNA? Are you using a DynamicCharacterAvatar? If so, have you tried saving to a text file instead of a UMATextRecipe? Will need a bit more information on how you are saving and applying this data.

For the "body hair" overlay, I didn't make a wardrobe recipe for it, so you'll need to create one and index it.

The global library just indexes the files, and makes sure they are included in the build (as a resource), it doesn't modify anything. If the library doesn't have a "build reference" to the file (and it's not in a resource folder or asset bundle), then it won't be included, and won't be found. You can open the global lib, find the asset (you can filter for the name), and it will tell you on the asset if it doesn't have a build reference (it will say "<not in build>").

26. zephlord21

zephlord21

Thank you for the reply!
    After editing the UMA through a recreation of the "UMA DCS Demo - Simple Setup" Scene, this is the code that runs

Code (CSharp):
    1.     UMATextRecipe rec = new UMATextRecipe();
    2.         rec.recipeString = Avatar.GetCurrentRecipe();
    3.         byte[] recBytes = rec.GetBytes();
    4.         string avatarString = Convert.ToBase64String(recBytes);
    5.         string[] avatarRecipe = new string[1]{avatarString};
    6.         JSONObject data = ServerCommsUtility.Instance.serializeData(Constants.CAREGIVER_SEND_AVATAR_REQUEST_FIELDS, avatarRecipe);
    7.         _socket.Emit(Constants.CAREGIVER_SEND_AVATAR_MESSAGE, data);
    The server then sends the data to the client, which is processed like so
    Code (CSharp):
    1. string recipeString = "";
    2.         ev.data.GetField(ref recipeString, Constants.AVATAR_RECIPE_FIELD);
    3.         _avatar.enabled = true;
    4.         UMATextRecipe recipe = new UMATextRecipe();
    5.         recipe.SetBytes(Convert.FromBase64String(recipeString));
    6.         _avatar.LoadFromRecipe(recipe);
    7.         _patientView.transform.position = _avatar.gameObject.transform.Find("HeadAdjust").position + _patientViewOffset;
    8.         Debug.Log(_avatar.GetDNA()["height"].Value + " = height");

27. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Where do I find that for UMAs? I know it is in the animator component for other skinned meshes, but where is it for an UMA?

Thanks!

28. Cyfieithydd

Cyfieithydd

Hi! I have a small question: what is the proper way to change DNA at runtime? At the moment i'm trying to use:

GetComponent<UMAData>().GetDna(0).SetValue(0, Cheekbones_Size);
    GetComponent<DynamicCharacterAvatar>().ForceUpdate(true);

But it doesn't work. Also, is there a way to change DNA by its name? (Eg Cheek >> size) Thanks in advance!

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

The recipe string returned from GetCurrentRecipe is already a json of the umatextrecipe for the character. I would recommend just transmitting the string itself, and then restoring it as-is

Jaimi

30. kenamis

kenamis

It's on the animation fbx file. Near the bottom there should be a foldout for root motion.

31. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks for the hint!

If I Change something there, it get's worse. One time it is stuck half in the ground (if I raise it up again, feet still moving).
    One time it lays on the ground, Looks like 90° rotated, one other time a leg is now pointing to the shoulder etc.

If there is "None" selected, in the preview it Looks perfect. Only in my Scene, the feet are moving, Looks like gliding on the ground a bit...

32. kenamis

kenamis

There should be a generic root option (Not "root" bone). I'll send you a PM to continue working on this issue.

33. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks for helping!

34. dudedude123

dudedude123

I keep getting this error:
    MissingComponentException: There is no 'Animator' attached to the "UMADynamicCharacterAvatar" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Animator to the game object "UMADynamicCharacterAvatar". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.

I already have an animator on this:
    2017-06-17_23h49_12.png

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not sure what that Animation Controller is for, honestly. It may be a bug. here is where you need to fillout the AnimatorController:

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 11.36.27 PM.png

36. barnettjv

barnettjv

New to posting on here. Not sure how to create a new thread ... .I'm getting a build error on any project where I use a UMA which is ..."
    KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Type].get_Item (System.String key) [0x000a8] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:151
    at UMA.AssetItem.get__Type () [0x00024] in J:\B2 v0.4\Assets\UMA\Core\Extensions\DynamicCharacterSystem\Scripts\AssetItem.cs:30

"
    Any help would be appreciated ... btw everything seems to work fine in the editor. The problem is only on the build.

37. barnettjv

barnettjv

I'm getting the same thing (or similar thing) as per by thread below. I actually went back and simply tried to build the example scene "UMA DCS Demo - Simple Setup" and I still get the KeyNotFound exception." Hoping for some help here....

Attached Files:

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

What version of UMA? When you build, what platform are you building for?
    If you're not on 2.6, I would suggest upgrading, as there were quite a few fixes to the AssetIndexer in that version.

39. barnettjv

barnettjv

Thank you!! That worked.

kenamis likes this.
  40. malkere

malkere

I'm building a character studio at long last. I'll post it publicly (and in here) soon to try and get people excited about my upcoming Kickstarter. I'm finding the line

Code (CSharp):
    1. avatar.ChangeRace("HumanFemale", DynamicCharacterAvatar.ChangeRaceOptions.useDefaults);
    doesn't work as I would expect. I have the default race change settings set to Keep as much as possible and am using the useDefaults, but the DNA seems to be stored entirely separate for male/female. If I change the female head to big then change to male the male head is normal. if I then change the male head to small and change to female, the female head is still big. Am I using it wrong?

I wrote a method to reassign the DNA but I have to call BuildCharacter which will trigger my updated callback which will trigger the reassign DNA and overflow >_< Is there a better callback more fitting for race changes?

Thanks!

additional: I setup a bool to only receive the callback when I change race, but the DNA update seems delayed. If I setup a coroutine to waitfornextfixedupdate then try and rebuild it will rebuild the character properly. If I don't manually reassign the DNA no amount of waiting will properly rebuild the character, the DNA is stored separately.

after the first attempt though things rebuild properly. ie if I change male head to big and start swapping it will go (big)male -> (small)female -> (big)male -> (big)female, without the coroutine delay attempt. So the race change seems to be assigning the DNA after rebuilding?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  41. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Since using Unity 2017, I get a lot of Errors in the Log like this one:

Assertion failed: Invalid worldAABB. Object is too large or too far away from the origin.
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    UMA.<workerMethod>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/TextureProcessPROCoroutine.cs:89)
    UMA.WorkerCoroutine:Work() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/WorkerCoroutine.cs:63)
    UMA.WorkerCoroutine:Work() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/WorkerCoroutine.cs:33)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:HandleDirtyUpdate(UMAData) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:211)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:OnDirtyUpdate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:257)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Work() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:132)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Update() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:97)

It Looks like they are coming from UMA. They seem to not cause big Problems but I get them everytime and lots of them.

Thanks and have a nice Weekend!

42. kenamis

kenamis

Congratulations!

I think you want to set ChangeRaceOptions.keepDNA, but I did a test and it appears to not work on the original DNA type, only the newer DynamicDNA type. I'll add changing that to our list. In the meantime, you'll probably have to manually save the dna and apply it back after race change.

malkere likes this.
  43. alejandronop

alejandronop

Hi all,
    I'm using UMA 2.6, and I trying to create a UMADynamicCharacterAvatar inside the layer UI, but when start the game mode, UMA is creating the UMArender in the Default layer.
    How can I force the UMArender to use the UI layer?

Thanks and sorry for my bad English

44. maggie3

maggie3

Hi guys!

I have a question related to textures. What kind of textures exactly UMA is using? I want to understand what the 3 different colors mean in the example below. I am new to this whole UMA thing so would be nice if you could help me. I also want to know how can I make these textures (overlays) myself?

Thank you in advance!
    UMAColors.PNG

45. kenamis

kenamis

The textures in the texture list are regular textures like used in any other project. You can click on them to snap to them in the project and examine them. In this example the "Underwear_n" will be set to type "Normal".

This overlay is using the UMAMaterial, "UMA_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic". That UMAMaterial is set up for PBR and uses the unity standard shader. It takes 3 textures, an albedo texture in element 0, a normal texture in element 1, and a metallic/roughness texture in element 2. There are other preset UMAMaterials and you can create your own if you need different texture channels and/or a different shader.

The reason for this extra level of configuration, UMA Materials, is because when generating an UMA, all overlays on the same UMA, using the same UMAMaterial get atlassed together for runtime efficiency.

http://www.umawiki.secretanorak.com/Overlay
    http://www.umawiki.secretanorak.com/UMA_Material

46. Jaimi

Jaimi

You'll need to hook into one of the events on the avatar, and change the layer in code when the UMA is created.

47. JamesK24

JamesK24

Hello guys we used to cling on to UMA 2.5.1 till we decided to take on the update and get UMA 2.6.
    After the update obviously we were barraged with several errors.

Now we are working on it to get it fixed, but as UMA is on the update frequently I just thought it best to ask you guys on possible methods and reasons for these errors.

They are :

1. Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/UMADataCharacterSystem.cs(4,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UMACharacterSystem' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

2.Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/CsUMACustomization.cs(6,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UMACharacterSystem' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

3.Assets/UMA/Examples/Main Examples/Scripts/UMAGenericCrowd.cs(4,32): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UMACrowd' could not be found. Are you missing `UMA.Examples' using directive?

4.Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/CsUMACustomization.cs(12,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `DynamicCharacterAvatar' could not be found. Are you missing `UMA.CharacterSystem' using directive?

5.Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/CsUMACustomization.cs(15,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `DnaSetter' could not be found. Are you missing `UMA.CharacterSystem' using directive?

6.Assets/UMA/Examples/Main Examples/Scripts/UMAGenericCrowd.cs(28,26): error CS0115: `UMAGenericCrowd.GenerateUMAShapes()' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override.

7.sets/UMA/Examples/Main Examples/Scripts/UMAGenericCrowd.cs(6,26): error CS0115: `UMAGenericCrowd.SetUMAData()' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to overrid

What are some possible faults and answers for those?

48. malkere

malkere

I found that deleting the UMA folder and importing it fresh cleared up similar errors for me, I updated last weekend from 2.5.0.

49. malkere

malkere

I've got this hair not showing up properly sometimes?
    I also thought I'd ask if there is a list of UMA compatible/ready asset packs anywhere? I own WillB's RPG set, would love to get some more hairs and skins, off to look now that it's switching properly.

50. JamesK24

JamesK24

That would be fantastic... but that would mean giving up countless slots, overlays, recipes my team made over the past 6 months..