Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. kenamis

kenamis

It looks like in the current development branch (uma26) it is changed to "assetBundleToGet". Here's the commit changes if you're curious,
    https://github.com/umasteeringgroup...a84b67b#diff-f92ef6c8f994d6ce35485943bd143ceb

2. umutozkan

umutozkan

If dna resizes a bone that has children, the children also gets resized. UMA has adjustment bones for this. If you want to resize the forearm but not the hand you should be resizing the forearm adjustment bone instead of forearm bone (I don't remember the exact name of the bones but it should be along these lines)

On the other hand UMA DNA system is flexible enough so that you can for example have a slider that scale forearm length up and scale the hand length down. That would give the effect that hand is not changing at all. Might need some work adjusting the multipliers but possible. Recommended way is to use the adjustment bones though.

3. UnLogick

UnLogick

He really should just work off the git branch and then submit merge requests for his changes, that way his changes benefits all and you wont face a nightmare updating.

ecurtz likes this.
  4. shahafyz

shahafyz

ok im getting a little lost with uma

i did secretanorak race creation tutorial

but now i want to be able to chagne body parts
    but when ever i seperate my race body parts there are always seams in unity even when in blender i fixed the normals

can someone explain how was the uma male slots were made because the only fbx i find with the asset are unified body

5. kenamis

kenamis

I believe you can use the "seams mesh" input in the slot builder to supply the unified mesh. It will pull the normals off that mesh so that the normals for the edge triangles are correct across the seam. Alternatively, some modeling programs have a way of smoothing normals across separate mesh objects, which is what you'd need in this case. I've done that once before, but the easier way is to use the seams mesh.

shahafyz likes this.
  6. shahafyz

shahafyz

thank for the help :)

now that i got the model smooth and was able to replace the waist with waist that have extra bones(tail)
    i want to do the opposite way and switch with something that has less bones

hand with five fingers switched to a hand with three fingers
    the name of the bones that the 3 fingers(thumb,index,pinky) hand has are the same as the 5 finger(thumb,index,middle,ring,pinky)
    but nothing happends and in the customizer scene it wont show in the wardrobe ui

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

It shouldn't matter that the model doesn't use all the bones (all the slots are like that, so it should be OK). Do you see any error messages in the console? What version of UMA are you using?

8. dudedude123

dudedude123

I'm setting up the wardrobe for my UMA model

2017-07-07_22h23_14.png I cant manage to keep the overlay on the slot

Attached Files:

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

It doesn't look like the overlay has a name - open it up, and fill a name in (that's how it's found in the overlay library).

Teila and TeagansDad like this.
  10. dudedude123

dudedude123

It still wont stay on the slot

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

What version of UMA are you using?

12. dudedude123

dudedude123

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

Ok - it's not finding your overlay. If you add the overlay (and it shows the name in the recipe), then it must not be in an index. It has to either be in a "overlaylibrary" in your scene, or (even easier) in the Global library.

To add it to the global library, right click on the overlay in the project view, and choose "add to global library"

14. shahafyz

shahafyz

hi im using 2.5
    i didnt change anything but now the model switch but the bones dont receive their new size/position based on the 3 fingers rig

also i noticed that if i switch to the hips with the tail the new bones are added but when i switch back to the normal hips the tail bones stay instead of get removed

15. dudedude123

dudedude123

How do I make the model larger? 2017-07-10_23h58_56.png

16. shahafyz

shahafyz

upload_2017-7-11_7-44-29.png

look in the dna under other your have height

kenamis likes this.
  17. Jaimi

Jaimi

On the finger bones - I'm not sure what is wrong. As long as they are named *exactly* the same (case, etc), it should work.
    For the tail bones - that's expected. If you want, you can instantiate a new avatar and rebuild it without the tail, and the bones won't be there.

18. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Unity 2017 is out! :D

Does the latest uma from github work with it? Or any Chance to get it working soon?

That would be great!

Thanks and have a nice day!

19. UnLogick

UnLogick

It's been tested before but I had Jaimi confirm this as late as yesterday. The UMA26 branch does indeed work for 2017.1. :)

I'll leave all of you to speculate why I would ask Jaimi to do extra last minute verification on a branch with that particular name. :p

hopeful and Firlefanz73 like this.
  20. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks! That sounds good. Seems I have to install Unity 2017 when I am home.

Is there a new branch now or is Uma26 still the latest for that? Maybe post a link before everybody who reads this now starts to search?

Thanks!

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

For now, Uma26 is the latest branch. We'll work out the branching/naming situation a bit later, with Master ending up as the main branch. There are a couple of feature branches that will need to be worked in for the next version (the coolest thing coming up is Kenamis's advanced mesh hiding), but we'll start on 2.7 here in a bit, hopefully this one will be a short iteration before we start working toward a 3.0 version that tackles some more involved items.

hopeful and Firlefanz73 like this.
  22. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks a lot guys!

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

I noticed that someone added a checkbox to "Rebuild Skeleton" on the DCA. Not sure if having that selected will remove the extra bones for you, but it seems likely.

24. Jaimi

Jaimi

Sneak peek at some of the new stuff coming in 2.6:
    Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 6.22.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 7.25.30 PM.png

JamesK24, AGregori, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  25. Teila

Teila

Looks really great, Jaimi! :)

26. hopeful

hopeful

I'm very much looking forward to it! How close is it to being finished? I know that can be hard to answer ... ;)

27. Jaimi

Jaimi

I believe it's ready - just need to go through the release process now.

28. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Uma works with Unity 2017 very well, I did not find any Problems (unit now) ;)

And I got a good Performance boost with Unity 2017 for my project!

shahafyz and hopeful like this.
  29. shahafyz

shahafyz

hi i tested the rebuild skeleton it seams to just remove bones when switch between races

also im adding a screen shot to show what im trying to fix it might not be possible
    uma fingers.jpg

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

Can you IM me the FBX? I'll look at it, see if I can see anything wrong.

31. dudedude123

dudedude123

How do I keep the height?

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

Your avatar is loaded from a Base Recipe, plus the wardrobe recipes. You can do one of two things:

1. You can edit your character in one of the scenes (set all the DNA, add the wardrobe items, etc), and then save that character to a text file using one of the functions on the UMA menu. This will save his Race, DNA, colors, and wardrobe items. You can then load the character at runtime. (you can also place the character name on the DCA component and autoload it).

2. You can modify the Base Race Recipe for your avatar, and adjust all the DNA there. Then everyone of that same race will start with that new height.

33. dudedude123

dudedude123

Never mind, I fixed it

34. dudedude123

dudedude123

I managed to set up the wardrobe 2017-07-14_16h45_30.png

2017-07-14_16h53_07.png
    But I cant get the wardrobe to display

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

Check the box that says "Load Default Recipes"

36. dudedude123

dudedude123

Still not showing anything 2017-07-14_21h42_01.png

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Can you add the wardrobe to your UMA in the simple setup scene, and it work?
    Do you see them in the menu options?
    Are there any error messages in the console?

First thing to check is: Are your recipes added to the global index?

38. dudedude123

dudedude123

Error: Materials are missing on Asset: Boxer_boot. Have you imported all packages?
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UMA.OverlayData:.ctor(OverlayDataAsset) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/OverlayData.cs:57)
    OverlayLibrary:Internal_InstantiateOverlay(Int32) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/OverlayLibrary.cs:130)
    OverlayLibrary:InstantiateOverlay(String) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/OverlayLibrary.cs:80)
    DynamicOverlayLibrary:InstantiateOverlay(String) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicOverlayLibrary.cs:148)
    UMAContext:InstantiateOverlay(String) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAContext.cs:124)
    UMAPackedRecipeBase:UnpackRecipeVersion2(UMARecipe, UMAPackRecipe, UMAContext) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:692)
    UMAPackedRecipeBase:Load(UMARecipe, UMAContext) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:23)
    UMATextRecipe:Load(UMARecipe, UMAContext) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/pUMATextRecipe.cs:196)
    UMARecipeBase:GetCachedRecipe(UMAContext) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMARecipeBase.cs:50)
    UMACharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar:AddAdditionalSerializedRecipes(UMARecipeBase[]) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:2577)
    UMACharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar:LoadCharacter(UMARecipeBase, List`1, UMARecipeBase[]) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:2451)
    UMACharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar:BuildCharacter(Boolean, String, List`1) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:2388)
    UMACharacterSystem.<BuildFromComponentSettingsCO>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:448)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

39. Jaimi

Jaimi

I cant get to the code right now, but Check the overlay, make sure a material is defined.

hopeful likes this.
  40. UnLogick

UnLogick

UMA 2.6 released!
    Asset store: UMA 2

It has a staggering set of changes, many of these deserves to be full releases on their own!
    • UMA detects and warns when common things aren't configured right, and when possible gives you buttons to fix them automatically.
    • Ragdoll Physics support and sample code
    • Cloth Support (Experimental) with sample code
    • New casual clothing and hair content
    • New "High Poly" slots for cutscenes and closeups
    • Speed improvements in editors using delayed updates
    • Additional tools and features in the global library
    • Speed improvements when building models using new getters/setters for mesh values.
    • Blendshapes support and sample code.
    • Procedural Texture support and sample code.
    • Slot Creator updated - Optionally Create overlays and Wardrobe recipes for the slot, and add them to your library.
    A big thanks to all the awesome developers who made this happen.

Known Issues:
    • The ragdoll physics scene is incorrectly set up in regards to collision layers, expected to be fixed in 2.6.1

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  41. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

I just downloaded the latest UMA26 Github and copied to my Project.

I get the following error message mutliple times:

C:\Unity\Biotopia3D 2017\Assets\UMA\Examples\Extensions Examples\DynamicCharacterSystem\Assets\Resources\Scene1\SampleCode.cs(13,13): Error CS0121: Der Aufruf unterscheidet nicht eindeutig zwischen folgenden Methoden und Eigenschaften: 'UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar.BuildCharacter(bool, string, System.Collections.Generic.List<string>)' und 'UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar.BuildCharacter(bool)' (CS0121) (Assembly-CSharp)

In english:
    it does not clearly differ between the following...

What can I do to handle this?

Thanks!

PS:
    unknown typnames 2 times:

\Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\SkinnedMeshCombiner.cs(97,97): Error CS0426: Der Typname 'BlendShapeSettings' ist im Typ 'UMA.UMAData' nicht vorhanden. (CS0426) (Assembly-CSharp)

\Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\OverlayData.cs(27,27): Error CS0426: Der Typname 'OverlayType' ist im Typ 'UMA.OverlayDataAsset' nicht vorhanden. (CS0426) (Assembly-CSharp)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  42. Jaimi

Jaimi

It looks like there are two issues.

The first one, in samplecode.cs, is this block of code:

#if UNITY_5_5_OR_NEWER
    //This results in a 'call is ambiguous' error in Unity 53/54
    [Obsolete("[DynamicCharacterAvatar.BuildCharacter] prioritySlot and prioritySlotOver have been depricated.")]
    public void BuildCharacter(bool RestoreDNA = true, string prioritySlot = "", List<string> prioritySlotOver = default(List<string>))
    {
    BuildCharacter(RestoreDNA);
    }
    #endif

Just delete that whole chunk of code, not sure why it's needed now. Not sure why it's causing an error, as it didn't for me on 2017.1 or on 5.3.7, but it is.

The second two issues appear to be a bad update - some files didn't get overwritten on the upgrade. umadata.cs definitely has BlendShapeSettings.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  43. treshold

treshold

What would be the most efficient way to reference player characters DynamicCharacterAvatar on runtime? Just use GameObject.Find on start if public DynamicCharacterAvatar Avatar is null or make some sorta manager / global variable?

44. kenamis

kenamis

Can you elaborate more on what you're trying to do? The DynamicCharacterAvatar component and it's gameobject can be instantiated at edit time and referenced.

45. briantheburnt

briantheburnt

Hello, folks.

I am trying to integrate UMA into a networking package, and I'm coming up with a problem that I haven't seen covered elsewhere. Basically, the UMA is generated on the client and on the server. The player inputs move it around on the server.

On the server, the UMA is generated and stands there like it is supposed to do. On the client, however, the character is spawned on connection, and then it starts bouncing up and down. I suspect this is because the UMADynamicAvatar has a character controller (that I attached) and another collider is generated when the avatar is assembled. I have heard that this can cause issues with jitter/stutter because the two colliders are unable to free themselves of one another and are trying to bounce off of each other.

This theory is further reinforced by the fact that when the character is in motion, the jitter/stutter is far less severe, which I assume is caused by the colliders being apart enough not to cause the extreme jitter I see.

So I am asking, is there a way to disable the collider generated by the UMADCS when you are already running your own character controller/capsule collider separately from UMADCS?

The networking library is built on UNET in case anyone needs to know that to give advice. So all of UNET's functionality is exposed and available, but I feel like it's not a networking problem, really.

46. kenamis

kenamis

Yes, on the DynamicCharacterAvatar component expand "Advanced Options"->"Uma Additional Recipes", by default the first item in the list is the "CapsuleColliderRecipe". Remove that from the list and UMA will not automatically generate a capsule collider on the player anymore.

briantheburnt likes this.
  47. briantheburnt

briantheburnt

Thank you very much for the quick response. I looked around the inspectors for hours yesterday and today thinking, "there must be a way to disable this collider!" but never looked in the recipes sections.

kenamis likes this.
  48. kenamis

kenamis

Yea, sorry, it's kind of hidden. It's something we're planning to make more apparent.

49. treshold

treshold

My player characters clothing is controlled by inventory system so when I dragndrop clothing for example to my inventory windows body slot, item will trigger Avatar.SetSlot("Chest", "MaleHoodie_Recipe"); for example and so on.
    Currently item will use gameobject find for the first time on DynamicCharacterAvatar component.

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

Most efficient way is to have a reference on the behavior that access the avatar, and plug it in at design time. Otherwise, as long as you do it only one time, using Find should be OK.

treshold likes this.