Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can fix this with UMA without fixing it in Max. You'll need to keep a copy of the pre-split mesh (we'll call that the "Seams" mesh, and the part you split from the copy, the "slot mesh"). Then, when you create a slot, place the "seams mesh" in the "seams mesh" field in the slot builder, and the slot mesh in the slot mesh field. UMA will fix the seams by taking the normals from the "seams mesh".

2. Teila

Teila

Is this actually called a seams mesh in the UMA folder? Previously, we just used the Unified Mesh. Will this also work with custom meshes? Is this person using a UMA mesh or a new one that he/she is making in 3ds Max? It is confusing.

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

"Seams mesh" is just the UMA term. The "seams mesh" for the existing human meshes are the unified meshes. This will work for any slot that you want to build, as long as you keep a copy before you split it up into pieces.

I think that Pomelo874 is making their own base mesh, perhaps they can give further info.

4. Teila

Teila

I know that, but others might not. lol Just wanted clarification. :)

5. Teila

Teila

Okay, so they need to create a unified seams mesh for their base mesh as well. What I see in the above are texture/uv seams so not sure that will help. I guess there can be multiple reasons for the seam.

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

I added some more fields to the slotbuilder in 2.6, so if you're making your own meshes, you can have it create an overlay and wardrobe recipe for it automatically.

Slotbuilder.png

I need to tidy it up a bit, but it saves me some time. I'm planning to add a "Add to index" checkbox also.

TeagansDad and Teila like this.
  7. Teila

Teila

And then you would just add the textures to the overlays? Sounds interesting. It will be faster, that is sure, although once you get going with wardrobe recipes, it is pretty quick even manually. lol

8. Gervais60

Gervais60

Hi Jaimi,

did you have a chance to have a look on how to integrate UMA with invector

Thanks

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes and no. I hooked up the animation controller and movement script, but not all the melee stuff. I'll try to get back to it, but there's a lot of stuff to hook up and almost no documentation on how to do it. :(

10. UnLogick

UnLogick

UMA has a built in feature to handle these very common edge seams. Make a combined mesh and use it for seams removal in the uma slot builder. UMA will then look up the vertices in the combined mesh and read the normals from there giving you uma slots that doesn't have seams.

Pomelo874, hopeful and Teila like this.
  11. Gervais60

Gervais60

Ok Thanks

12. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

@Jaimi @UnLogick , thanks.

Another question is about clothes creation, in tutorial video, I find author use fatten order to torso mesh in Blender, how can I have the same result on 3dsMax with a simple way?(seems like: body and sleeve resize in different pivot and connected always...)

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not a max expert, but I think in Max you would use the "push" modifier to expand the faces along the normals

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...12B87E66-3338-4E8B-BDE1-FDE02B95E38A-htm.html

Pomelo874 likes this.
  14. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Jaimi and Teila like this.
  15. arteria

arteria

New release from Arteria3d for Uma 2.5.

Arteria3d have just released a new costume for UMA 2.5

The 'SciFi Ground Troop Set' is designed for Unity 5 UMA 2.5 Character system..

Provided with this pack are 10 slots/Overlays

Fully set up for the new WARDROBE system, the pack is provided with each item setup as a Wardrobe item, with the relevant base body slots hidden underneath where not necessary to be shown

SLOTS Included & Overlays & Wardrobe items include:

• Helmet
    • Helmet Separate Visor
    • BackPack
    • Torso Clothing
    • Torso Armour
    • Elbow Pads
    • Shoulder Belt
    • Trousers
    • Boots
    • Gloves
    Provided with the full FBX 2017 of the model too, featuring all costume items.

Pack can be purchased for $19.99 from the Arteria3d website:
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/products/scifi-ground-troop

Thanks to the UMA team for all their Hardwork and support.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    runningbird and Jaimi like this.
  16. Teila

Teila

Not sure this belongs here. Sorry, but it sort of is advertising and it should be in your own thread. :) Nice though.

17. arteria

arteria

Thanks Teila. I did create a unique thread, but as im so in awe of the new wardrobe tools, i wanted to show it here too, and put a thanks for the team.
    Well done again to the team on the fantastic tools in 2.5

18. Teila

Teila

I see. Might want to condense it a bit. :) I am sure the team is appreciative. They did do a fabulous job.

19. arteria

arteria

They certainly did. UMA 2.5 is so artist friendly now, its a marvel. I cant stop creating for it!

Jaimi likes this.
  20. Teila

Teila

So, are you going to allow lifetime members to have your new stuff? I have an email where you promised me all the UMA stuff. :) We were all talking about this on the UMA chat the other day. Lots of us have the Lifetime membership but not all of us have access. Seems the best way to thank the team would be to give us what we paid for, right? ;)

TeagansDad likes this.
  21. arteria

arteria

You do have access and always will - go to forums, look under UMA - and you will see the downloads available. All the UMA stuff is there. This new character is now being uploaded as i type.
    Let me know what you dont see under the UMA tab Teila - you can always email too at yetari@msn.com or steve@arteria3d.com. I would love you to check out the new costumes. This goes too, for any other customer who has experienced any login issues and content visibility. Just drop me an email.

You will only see the following download tab, after you log in - but all the costumes are here
    http://arteria3d.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/category/32-uma/

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  22. dudedude123

dudedude123

What can I use as a substitute for the legacy material?

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you wanting to use the old 1.X textures and materials in 2.5? If so, copy the shader and UMAMaterial for it over, and you should be good to go. It should still work. (won't look as nice, though).

If you're wanting to create new overlays, there are new materials in UMA 2.5 that don't require any special processing that are based on the standard shader - UMA_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic is the main one, but there is also a UMA_Cutout_Diffuse_Normal, and a UMA_Cutout_Diffuse_Normal_Metallic.

You can also create your own UMAMaterial, and point them at your own material and shader.

24. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

hi,I have already made a new character with tidied up weights, and combine feet, ears, head, torso, hands..blabla together to make a seams mesh, as you know the seams mesh will lose the weights message.

So everything is ready, right?

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, you should be ready. The seams mesh is only used for normals, so it's OK.

Now comes the fun part - you'll need to create a new race. Secretanorak has a tutorial that shows what to do. Let me find it and link it.

Some things have changed in the DNA setup, but if you have questions, just ask. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Pomelo874 likes this.
  26. dudedude123

dudedude123

No, I'm making a slot mesh

27. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Really have a new question here is about how to handle skin weights on glasses, to self-adaption with the eye spacing, ear height and head size, do you have some advice? Thanks.

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

On the current rig, I would do one of two things.

1) For an NPC (I have full control over what they look like) - I would Weight the glasses straight to the HeadAdjust bone - then I would be careful how I designed the DNA for the NPC so the glasses fit them.

2) For a Player (the player has full control over what they look like) this would be much harder. The Bridge I would weight 50% to the RightEyeAdjust, and 50% to the LeftEyeAdjust. For the left side, I would weight the lens 100% to the LeftEyeAdjust, and the Temple Tip 100% to the LeftEarAdjust. The Temple between them, make it a gradient fading from the LeftEarAdjust to the LeftEyeAdjust.

The goal being that the lens adjust to the eyes. The bridge stretches between them. The temple bends to match the eyes to the ears, and the temple tip matches the ears.

This would be just a start, though. You'll have to tune this for your specific needs, and you may have to limit the amount of travel that the ears/eyes can move in your designer (at least to players).
    Glasses.png

hopeful, Pomelo874 and QFord like this.
  29. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Very clear, it will take some time to test in local, see U next time;)

30. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Hello, combine every part into seams mesh will lose the skin weight message, you said that is OK......but when I drag it into slot builder....the problem comes, it seems the seams mesh slot need skin weight message? SOS:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2544.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  31. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Question 2:
    301.png

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is going to take some analysis. I think the assumption was that the seams mesh was the original mesh, and the slot meshes were simply cut from it. I'll post back when I have more information.

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

I can't see in the code where it would use anything except the normals. What error are you getting?

34. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not really sure what you're needing. but if you're needing to reset all the bones so the scale value is "1", then I think in blender you have to apply the current pose as the "rest pose" (Edit: sorry - I forgot you were on max. I think you might try "reset xforms")

But I'm not sure if that's what you're needing, or if it will have unintended consequences.

Or are you asking how to make sure the base race DNA has no modifications? For that, you would need to go into the base race recipe, and adjust the DNA to match your references, and save it.

35. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Yes, I just want to reset all the bones so the scale value is "1", in Max it is 100, and our 3D animation workmate don't know how to do it in max...since reset xforms can not get the right result with bones (unless unlink all the bones at first, but it means plenty of link work to do after that).

I will ask more and more Max user for this question, hope the answer will appear soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated

It seems really freak out:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused: as a MAX + UMA user.
    After one day's research, maybe there is the only way as shown below that equal to "rest pose" just one order in blender.

1 Delete all the skin;
    2 Unlink all the bones;
    3 Reset xform all the bones;
    4 Link all the bones again;
    5 Use Skin wrap from old mesh;
    6 Tidy up skin weight
    -------------------------------------------
    Do you have some friends who use Max? Or remember some UMA users who use max and make a new character?

If there is no more way, we will start this expedition soon.

-------------------------------------------
    Updated Again

We found reset xform bones will bring other problems.
    So all the thing freeze:(
    Only watching for the Saviour.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  36. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Since Max sample only include slot mesh one, so we build a new seams mesh, split into slot mesh, and skin wrap + tidy up weights... anyway, if we did not split it before, it seems skin weights will lose after combine / split operation.

I will do some analysis, think of how to solve it soon.

37. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

when I Dress my female character it is okay. When I undress her in runtime, I would like to see the underwear.

But it Looks strange somehow, like shifted texture Offset? Correct texture but shifted on a black Background...

upload_2017-6-15_10-4-17.png

I am removing the clothing from before and set underwear like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.                 if (string.IsNullOrEmpty (torsoSlot)) {
    2.                     if (umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [8] != null)
    3.                         umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [8].RemoveOverlay ();
    4.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [8] = null;
    5.                     if (umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [3] != null)
    6.                         umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [3].RemoveOverlay ();
    7.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [3] = null;          
    8.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [3] = slotLibrary.InstantiateSlot (BodyTorsoSlot);              
    9.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [3].AddOverlay (overlayLibrary.InstantiateOverlay ("FemaleUnderwear01", trouserColors [activeTrousersColor]));
    10.                 }
    11.                 if (string.IsNullOrEmpty (trousersSlot)) {
    12.                     if (umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [10] != null)
    13.                         umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [10].RemoveOverlay ();
    14.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [10] = null;
    15.                     if (umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [5] != null)
    16.                         umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [5].RemoveOverlay ();                  
    17.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [5] = null;
    18.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [5] = slotLibrary.InstantiateSlot (LegsSlot);                  
    19.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [5].AddOverlay (overlayLibrary.InstantiateOverlay ("FemaleUnderwear01", trouserColors [activeTrousersColor]));
    20.                 }
    Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks a lot :)

38. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

PS: When I try like this, with first Skin, then underwear and tried other overlay, she is totally naked:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [5] = slotLibrary.InstantiateSlot (LegsSlot);  
    2.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [5].AddOverlay (overlayLibrary.InstantiateOverlay (SkinOverlay, skinColors[activeSkinColor]));
    3.                     umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList [5].AddOverlay (overlayLibrary.InstantiateOverlay ("F_lower Underwear", trouserColors [activeTrousersColor]));
    PPS: Found another one, now it works. " Underwear 2" for my uma female. Thanks!

39. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Hello:) if there is a way to consider the current scale value as the original scale in unity by code? We can not find the way to fix bone scale value in 3dsmax.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And can you remember if there is any of the cartoon style UMA character which can be used on mobile device? I found most of UMA files in unity asset store is realistic style with so many polygons.

Sorry for more and more questions, we are independent game developers, can not be frozen at this time:eek::oops:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  40. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can manually control how the DNA is applied in code - the standard DNA is applied in code. Take a look at the tutorial DNA - TutorialDNAConverterBehavior, UMADNATutorial (and the generated UMADnaTutorial_Generated)

Pomelo874 likes this.
  41. dudedude123

dudedude123

For some reason, the UMA isn't loading. I used the UMA Dynamic Avatar with the setup below and it still wont load

Attached Files:

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

When using wardrobe recipes, you need to use DynamicCharacterAvatar instead of DynamicAvatar.

43. dudedude123

dudedude123

Like this?

Attached Files:

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

The base race recipe is inherent in your race, so that would go on your racedata. then, select the race in the dynamic character avatar. the other wardrobe recipes should go in the default wardrobe on the dynamic character avatar.

45. dudedude123

dudedude123

Is there any way to fix this?

Attached Files:

46. kenamis

kenamis

Are you using the "CapsuleColliderRecipes" on your avatar? it's found under "Uma Additional Recipes", or can be added there.

47. dudedude123

dudedude123

48. Teila

Teila

If you are using the standard controller, it has a tolerance of .1 so it thinks you are not grounded. You need to set the tolerance to 1 and it should work. If you are using the standard controller, we can send some code your way so you know how to fix it. Let us know.

Pomelo874 likes this.
  49. Pomelo874

Pomelo874

Not sure for standard controller, we just resized UMA rig to fit our character, and skin-warp+tidy weights in MAX, and import it as the tutorial on youtube..

I think you could consider that we use the standard controller, and where is the tolerance? It sounds like what we are waiting for..:rolleyes:

Please help us fix it with code:) Thanks a lot.

50. Teila

Teila

You will have to wait not for a while. My programmer is now at his day job. He will post when he gets home. Maybe one of the other UMA guys will help? You can ask on the Slack chat if you want a faster response.