Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, the public variables on the SampleCode are empty. All is None. But I found the script in the project, not in the scene (in the copied stuff from the UMA DCS Demo - using Asset Bundles scene).

Where the SampleCode script is on the scene? I am unable to find it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. malkere

malkere

There should be an unparented gameobject called SampleCode in the scene that aleary has it's public references filled. You're in the "UMA DCS Demo - Simple Setup" scene right? What I did was go into that scene and do a SaveAs to create a new scene, then deleted all the environment stuff and rebuilt my world with the necessary prefabs already in and filled.

3. Tomza

Tomza

I'm in the "UMA DCS Demo - using Asset Bundles" scene, not in the "UMA DCS Demo - Simple Setup". I don't see the unparented game object with SampleCode.

EDIT: You are right - there's such an object with SampleCode, but the problem is that I'm in the different scene: "UMA DCS Demo - using Asset Bundles"

4. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Jaimi, Griot-Games and Teila like this.
  5. MrG

MrG

Is there now, or expected to soon be, a new workflow for making clothes and equipment for UMA 2.5+ ? If not, what's the most current tutorial / documentation for this?

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

The workflow for making clothes hasn't changed for 2.5. Best place to start is Secret Anoraks' videos:

Wigifer has some tutorials for Blender also:

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

I recommend to start out with the Simple Scene until you are familiar with all the moving parts in DCS. The Asset Bundle scene is more complicated, and a bit harder to get going.

My first thought is that it may be because the Asset Bundle scene uses different races (Human Male DCS) instead of (Human Male). This is because it use Dynamic DNA (which can be delivered using Asset Bundles). So if you created your recipes with Human Male, it may not see them. Maybe david will chime in, but I would start with looking at your DynamicCharacterAvatar, and verifying it's race. At the very least it should pop up and be standing in his underpants.

8. Teila

Teila

Nice videos, but where is the UMA blend file? I am having issues getting the FBX converted and into Blender. The Obj loses all the rigging and converting the FBX is not working either. The videos mention a UMA blend file without telling us where to find it or how to convert. Of little use if you lose the rigging when going into Blender.

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

The blend files for the normal files are in the extra content:

https://github.com/huika/UMA-Extrafiles/tree/master/ContentPack_1.1.0.1/Blend

But the high poly are just FBX only.

10. Teila

Teila

Thanks, got it. :)

11. KdogGames

KdogGames

I created a base recipe while following Secret Anorak's tutorial, UMA Race Creation part 3. When I actual try to create an UMA with my new recipe however, I get a KeyNotFoundException. Any ideas why this may be occurring?

I can display UMAs using the example recipes included with UMA, but not the one I created. I followed the tutorial very closely with a clean UMA install. The only difference is that they Slot builder now has a field called Root Bone that needed to be set to hips in order to create a slot.

Here is the full error message:
    KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,UMA.UMASkeleton+BoneData].get_Item (Int32 key) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:150)
    UMA.UMASkeleton.EnsureBoneHierarchy () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMASkeleton.cs:635)
    UMA.UMAMeshData.CreateTransforms (UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:595)
    UMA.UMAMeshData.ApplyDataToUnityMesh (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer renderer, UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAMeshData.cs:480)
    UMA.UMADefaultMeshCombiner.UpdateUMAMesh (Boolean updatedAtlas, UMA.UMAData umaData, Int32 atlasResolution) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMADefaultMeshCombiner.cs:88)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.UpdateUMAMesh (Boolean updatedAtlas) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:265)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.HandleDirtyUpdate (UMA.UMAData data) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:225)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:253)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Work () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:131)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Update () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:96)

Thanks for your help!

12. MrG

MrG

13. ecurtz

ecurtz

Blender can probably import the high poly FBX files if you convert them to binary FBX. Autodesk has a free tool to change FBX files between different versions. They are already skinned, so the only issue is importing the file.

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'll try to put together a .blend for the high poly files. I have a ton of stuff in my "todo" list, so it might be awhile.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

for some reason, it doesn't like your bone hierarchy. Are you using 3dsmax?

16. KdogGames

KdogGames

For the tutorial Secret Anorak has us download the Monster 3 model from the asset store (created by 3DMaesen). I am importing the model directly into Unity without taking it into any modeling package. If you think the model itself may be a problem, I can try the tutorial with a different model.

17. Jaimi

Jaimi

I think you're missing a step:

This first video shows how to setup the bone hierarchy for UMA.

18. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, I have no big knowledge about UMA because I use a different software, but this time I need this scene for my project. I have installed the fixed version of UMA 2.5.1 and all great. But when I copied the stuff from the "UMA DCS Demo - using Asset Bundles" scene making a prefab and then place the prefab in my scene, again the UI doesn't work. The three avatars are DCS.

EDIT: I noticed a strange thing:

The options for Race, Wardrobe, Colors, etc. appear only in the Scene View, not in Play view! For example, I click on the Race button and the options for choosing the race doesn't appear in the Game window, only visible in the Scene window. And when I click on the UI element (the root for all UI elements) that is a canvas, it moving upward and downward in the Scene view. I think it is problem with UI, not with AssetBundles or races.

And when I click on an UI item, a Blocker appears in my Scene Hierarchy.

It is only with dropdowns because other UI elements work as should. I noticed that other dropdowns didn't work too in Unity 5.6, so I deactivate them temporary.

I think I will move this issue to the UI topic forum.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  19. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not an expert on this scene (I didn't write it). I'm assuming your solution is using Asset Bundles, and you want to deliver new content through Asset Bundle downloads?

My first thought is to look at the following:

1. Your DynamicCharacterAvatars - what races are they setup as? For this scene, they should be "Human Male DCS" or "Human Female DCS".
    2. Are your wardrobe recipes defined, and are they setup for those races?
    3. Does the Global Library exist, and are all the slots, overlays, races, etc in it? If it doesn't exist, be sure to copy it into your project as well, and put it in the same folder (it's in a resources folder).
    4. If it's there, but looks jacked up, clear it and recreated it. You do this by selecting the library prefab (you can use the menu item to find and select it), pressing the Clear button, then dropping the UMA content folder onto the drop pad in the inspector when the library is selected.

My first thought is that the race isn't being found, so it can't construct a UMA at all.

To test this, create a brand new scene, and drop the two prefabs from the "Getting Started" folder into it. Make sure a race is selected in the avatar, and press run. It should create the base avatar for that race.

If it does not, are there any warnings, errors, informational messages in the console that might be helpful?

Jaimi

hopeful likes this.
  20. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

@Tomza Does the 'Event' component on each avatar have the correct game object references? Maybe when you made the prefab/dragged it into the scene it lost them? Its clicking on an Avatar that brings up the UI in game mode and thats because it's events set the Avatar on the 'DynamicSampleCustomizer' game objects component and trigger the UI to display.

Edit: Also you said that you had your own camera and Event system set up- just double check you have a physics raycaster in the scene somewhere so the avatars are clickable...

Let me know if that helps

21. Tomza

Tomza

Thank you guys. You are very helpful :).

I wrote about that on the UI topic thread of Unity forum and some people told me that Unity UI had bugs. Moreover, one member of Unity Team told me that there's a bug in nested canvases and soon it will be fixed.

I have experienced many weird behaviours with UI, not only with the UI of UMA. My application is very complex and therefore my UI is complex too. For exmaple, the dropdowns in my MCE Editor don't work and they worked before (Unity 5.5). There are many, many, many strange things.

I can say that before (using a previous version of UMA from the GitHub and Unity 5.5) I copied the stuff from the example scene and all worked. But Unity 5.6 wasn't compatible with the old UMA, so I was forced to remove it from the scene and got the new version of UMA. But this time, there wasn't so easy. The bugs in UMA and now some bugs in Unity UI. You can really copy the stuff from the example scene, make a prefab and place it in other scene. If the new scene is clean, all works really good. UMA is working in a fantastic way. However, if the scene is clutter with other things (especially other UI elements with canvases) the problem exist.

In other words, I think the problem has nothing to do with UMA. We will see if the patch will be ready.

22. Tomza

Tomza

I have the original camera from the example scene, so all the components exist including physics raycaster. However, the avatars are hard to click. I need to click many times to make the UI shown. If otehr scene where UMA is alone, it need to click only one time.

I use all the elements from the example scene but the Event System because Event System must be only one.

23. Tomza

Tomza

I have checked - the Event component has all OK. I have screenshots from the previous UMA because the UMA UI on this example scene is complex and I wanted to have any reference. Nothing missing. I left only one avatar, not three.

24. Tomza

Tomza

When I click on an avatar, the UI is shown, but dropdowns (I hope it is a correct word for this UI elements to avoid confusion). The dropdowns are visible in Scene View only, not in Play View. So I cannot click any option to choose other race, wardrobe or color. The wardrobe and colors are visible, but for example clicking on the Skin Color to change the color of the skin shows nothing. It is problem of dropdowns and canvases.

EDIT: Body DNA and Face DNA work great because they have sliders only. Get More content, Save, Load and Overview work too. Only Change Race, Wardrobe and Color don't. Wardrobe and Color show their submenus, but cannot go deeper to change any color or clothes. Clicking on Change Race shows nothing. But all is visible in Scene View.

25. Tomza

Tomza

1/ DCS
    2/ Yes.
    3/ Yes.
    4/ I think it is not needed - all is great.

Again, I think it is problem of Unity UI, not UMA.

26. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Houston, we have a Problem:

when starting unity a few minutes ago I got a popup:

UMA steering Group: UMA Update available 2.5.1.

So I installed it. After downloading, In the Import Screen I could not manually choose so I just pressed Import.

After that it asked me again for the update? I did a second time. Same behavior.

When starting now in Editor, everything is fine. When Building to x64_x86 and starting the build, every single uma is gone or not visible (including the Player and my cutscenes).

Any idea?

Thanks a lot!

PS: No Errors in the console when starting in Editor. And everything Looks good there...

27. hopeful

hopeful

Was this ray cast method used with the possibility of applying it to each region of an UMA, to aid with placing slots, overlays, and changing DNA?

If not, I do think this would be a great direction to go with the demo. Drop the multiple characters in the scene approach and focus on making changes to the single model with locational clicking.

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

The index was changed in this version, so it needs to be recreated. This shouldn't happen again, sorry about that.

To recreate it, open the Global Index, press clear, and drop the UMA/Content folder onto the drop pad.

If you have assets in any other places that you were using before, do the same thing.

Maybe I should try to figure out how to make this backward compatible. :(

Firlefanz73 and hopeful like this.
  29. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hey Jaimi,

great how you always know the solution, good Job!

But I do not really understand...

What is the Global Index? I do not find it...
    And to which drop pad should I drop the UMA Content Folder?

The Overlay and Slot libraries?

PS: Clearing slots and overlays and adding those did not help in running the build.
    PPS: Open "UMA Global Library", Clear all and drop the UMA Folder on the drag part also did not help

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

OK, what issue are you seeing now? You've cleared the global index, and readded everything - do they appear in the index? I think it that version there is a box "Serialize for build" or something like that - is it checked?

I've reworked quite a bit of this, so it all looks different (and it's much simpler internally), so a bit will have to be guesswork for me now.

31. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

When I press Play and start in Editor everything is fine.

When I build "Windows" with "x86_64" like I always do for Fullscreen testing, the Scenes start without Problems, but I do not see a single UMA anymore.

Checking "Serialize for build" or not does not seem to help or Change anything.

Thanks for helping me!

32. Jaimi

Jaimi

OK, I know the answer to this one. The build version is currently broken (it's not saving the references). I have it fixed in 2.6, and should have a fix for it tomorrow.

To get it going right now, it should work if you clear the global index, make sure the "Serailze for build" is checked, and add all the content back. That should cause it to save the global index with the references.

This will be a much easier process sometime tomorrow.

hopeful likes this.
  33. KdogGames

KdogGames

You are absolutely right. Thank you so much. I'm not sure how I missed this video. I seem to have jumped from the Introduction video directly to video 2. Thanks for your help!

34. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hi,

Any News about the update? Still cannot get it running Fullscreen anymore...

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

Just checked into the Master branch. If you want to be the first to try it, it's right here:

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA

Press the "Clone or Download" button, then "Download Zip". Replace everything except your content folder. Open the global library, and rebuild it.

36. hopeful

hopeful

Is there something we're supposed to do to get the Load button working in the Asset Bundle demo? I'm trying to get it to show recipes available to load.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  37. Jaimi

Jaimi

In theory, that should be writing the character to a resources folder somewhere, and the DynamicAssetLoader should be able to dig them out of resources without hitting the index. This will require a little research.

38. hopeful

hopeful

Sorry for the trouble. I'm just having difficulty figuring it all out. I can save a recipe but can't immediately find it unless I go through the Windows find / select window. It doesn't even show up in the project window unless I do a refresh, so I was wondering if this is a Unity limitation, where recipes can only be loaded if the game is shut down and restarted after character creation, or something like that.

(Or maybe it is just a Unity editor limitation, and it works fine in builds ...?)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  39. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hi,

thanks a lot for your help!

I downloaded the zip. I copied from the zip the subfolder assets / uma to my Project, overwriting existing stuff. In the unity top menu "UMA" I started UMA Global library. One the Dialog I pressed the button "Clear all".

"Serialize for build (Slow)" is checked. I dragged my UMA / Content Folder into the drag part.

Again, it runs with my UMAs in the Editor, and if I rebuild and start from the build, I cannot see a single UMA anymore.

Thanks for helping... :)

40. Jaimi

Jaimi

Not sure what happened - but "Serialize for build (Slow)" doesn't exist in the new version. The AssetIndexer should look like this now:

Capture.PNG

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  41. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is just a bug in the scene, a lot has changed over time and this was just missed.

hopeful likes this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

Any ETA for fixing it? A few days ...?

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

Not sure, David is looking at it, but that sounds likely. if you need it now, you can just pop up a file dialog, and then load the text from the selected file into the avatar using LoadFromString(). if you need the exact code, let me know, i can put it together in the morning.

44. hopeful

hopeful

Thanks!

I ought to be able to wait for David to fix it. Then I'll download that new version, which probably has a few other minor fixes. ;)

45. Teila

Teila

lol I had the same problem, Firlefanz73! Easy once you know though...like ridiculously easy to find.

46. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I have it working again, thanks :)

Teila likes this.
  47. novaVision

novaVision

Hi,

UMA looks awesome. I have checked tutorials and documentation but didn't find info I need. Is it possible to attach any custom FBX head model to human body sample you provide in UMA? I can't understand how the model merges together. Is there any specific requirements?

48. Teila

Teila

This is exactly what we are attempting to do at the moment. It is possible, but you have to make sure the head is rigged and skinned. I will report back our progress when I get it to work smoothly. Our problem at the moment is more that the head was made by one of my artists in Blender and we are trying to get it skinned. I know nothing about Blender. lol

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

If you're just starting out, it might be best to start with the current head, and modify it, being careful to keep the connecting vertexes as they are, so the skin weights and coordinates, normals, and UV all match the body. There's a ton of bones to rig, and this will give you a good "head"start. :) If you need the higher poly meshes, they're available in the 26 branch in GITHUB (Fernando has given us permission to release them with the base package).

hopeful likes this.
  50. Teila

Teila

That is exactly what we did. But we had import/export issues with Blender to Maya so lost the rig somewhere along the line or rather, we had errors that caused the rig to disappear. I am going to have her start over with the Blend file, which we know have, thanks to you. :) Unfortunately, so far, the Blend file tests we are doing are failing and not exporting to Unity properly either as an obj. Anyone know if there is a proper FBX exporter from Blender and if there are specific settings in Blender that we need to set? Tried the Obj to Maya to FBX, but didn't work, even with the FBX converter.

I am not a Blender fan so my knowledge is limited here. I find it mind boggling to be honest. lol