Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Arakon

Arakon

Thank you! I figured it was something odd. Again. - really amazing release. Great work everyone! I've been watching and playing with uma since the first version and it keeps getting more impressive.

Jaimi likes this.
  2. sfoust

sfoust

Quick question, the Asset Indexer will lose all it's content three or four times a day on me. Seems easy enough to correct by just dragging the entire Content folder to it and allow it to auto re-populate. But is this a known bug or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Also, is there an FAQ I should have looked at first? (tried searching thread and wiki but found nothing relevant).

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

This was reported by another person, but I can't duplicate it. It seems to be some some issue in Unity being unable to deserialize the type of the indexed item using the types qualified name. I can only surmise that it's a version or configuration specific issue. But there is a workaround for it that I've checked in. It doesn't affect the root cause (which I expect it to be an inability to somehow access the assembly), but it should work in all cases.

In UMAAssetIndexer.cs, at the top of the AddAsset function (around line 560), add this:

if (o == null)
    {
    Debug.Log("Skipping null item");
    return;
    }
    if (type == null)
    {
    type = o.GetType();
    }

That should solve it.

4. sfoust

sfoust

Thanks for code snip-it. I've applied. :)

Just FYI, we are using "JSON .NET For Unity" off the asset store to solve a problem we were having with iOS.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11347
    Not sure if that could have anything to do with it but passing it along in case.

5. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Question - newly created DCS characters have an incorrect capsule collider; see the demo scene. It looks like the root position of an avatar changed from its feet to its pelvis. Was that on purpose? The calculation for the center of the capsule collider is still based on the root being at the feet.

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not seeing this either. It's a bad day for me to be able to reproduce problems.
    What scene are you in? Have you made any changes?

Capsule.jpg

7. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Ah, it was my fault. Somehow the default Animator was pointing to a different Idle animation from a different package instead of the Standard Assets one. I changed that and now the root is correctly at the feet and the capsule is fine.

But while I'm here... is there any way to automatically convert a bunch of Slots into WardrobeRecipes? Or is this something I'll have to do by hand?

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

There isn't currently a way - I've been thinking about writing a utility to do it (select a whole bunch, and run a menu item), but haven't got around to it (plus, you'd have to go assign all the overlays anyway).

9. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

Hi, me again~~
    I update the latest UMA version and I have the same question: can I add new slots into WardrobeRecipes (I know I can't do this in an automatically way, but maybe change some codes?). Or it's totally not allowed in this version?
    Only three positions for chest or pants seems not enough.
    Thanks a lot.:oops:

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, these are actually user definable - they're on the racedata.

11. UnLogick

UnLogick

Just a quick heads up if someone has been playing with Unity's Timeline preview. I had a little time today so I created a prototype and must say I'm pleased with the results.

You can see a small video of the results here:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/2lDZXlmcn

For more info join the #timeline channel in our slack chat.

hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  12. Rinzlo

Rinzlo

Great update to the Asset store. I just set my new uma up for unet. got animation and movement working smoothly, but i can't figure out if theres a simple way to sync mesh, overlay, and color changes... anyone know the secret?

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you using DynamicCharacterAvatar? If so, you can dump him to a string using GetCurrentRecipe(), and load him using SetLoadString(string);

14. Rinzlo

Rinzlo

thanks for that prompt response Jaimi... can't wait to try when I get home :)
    P.S. I am using DynamicCharacterAvatar, its fantastic!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  15. Rinzlo

Rinzlo

so set up syncing every time i hit 'p', but there's so much fantastic new stuff i don't know how to use or set up (like using DCS avatars in the race slot races and not breaking the standard third person character controller), are there going to be any new materials (tutorials, documentations) for the new update?

16. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

Ah, I have already found that!
    Thank you very much.
    And another question, if I want to give the character a long dress(which means more bones would be add to the skeleton), is it just like add swings or tails?

17. giotta

giotta

Can anyone tell me if the characters created with UMA have problems with animations asset store?

Is possible use the character with uma generic rig and not mechanim?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  18. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes - there are several tutorials in process now. I know SecretAnorak is working on his, and he's already done one for race creation on existing assets here (this is a series):

and the messy coder shows how to integrate with the Ultimate Survival kit here:

Otherwise, there is some documentation in the Simple Sample scene, and a small "getting started" doc, but not much beyond that at this point - but if there's something you need, just ask - maybe it's there, maybe not (and we can think about adding it later)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Rinzlo likes this.
  19. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes - or you could use the upcoming cloth integration (2.6+). Or you could just map it to the leg bones.

Rinzlo likes this.
  20. Jaimi

Jaimi

You may need to adjust the avatar of some third party animations (but this is consistent with any solution), but otherwise, they should just all work.

I think there was a Generic rig on the Jet Plane that SecretAnorak did, not sure.

21. giotta

giotta

Can you tell me how I can change the avatar of the character created by uma? I'm new with this system (I always used generic or legacy and done everything from script).
    I'm not understanding anything.
    Thank you

22. giotta

giotta

I may have figured out how to make it work

23. IanSmellis

IanSmellis

Anyone know how I can call all of the DNA at once?

Right now I have this and more. Is there an easier way to do this?

Code (CSharp):
    1.     private void InitSlider()
    2.     {
    3.         myRaceValues = myRaceList.list[RaceNtoN.racedic[myracegender]].Values;
    5.         _heightSlider = GameObject.Find((string)myRaceValues.list[0].name).GetComponent<Slider>();
    6.         _heightSlider.minValue = (float)myRaceValues.list[0].minvalue;
    7.         _heightSlider.maxValue = (float)myRaceValues.list[0].maxvalue;
    8.         _heightSlider.value = (float)myRaceValues.list[0].defaultvalue;
    10.         _cheekPosSlider = GameObject.Find((string)myRaceValues.list[1].name).GetComponent<Slider>();
    11.         _cheekPosSlider.minValue = (float)myRaceValues.list[1].minvalue;
    12.         _cheekPosSlider.maxValue = (float)myRaceValues.list[1].maxvalue;
    13.         _cheekPosSlider.value = (float)myRaceValues.list[1].defaultvalue;
    15.         OnHeightChange();
    16.         OnCheekPosChange();
    17.     }
    19.     public void OnHeightChange()
    20.     {
    21.         if (_umaDNA != null)
    22.         {
    23.             _umaDNA.height = _heightSlider.value; UpdateUMAShape();
    24.         }
    25.     }
    27.     public void OnCheekPosChange()
    28.     {
    29.         if (_umaDNA != null)
    30.         {
    31.             _umaDNA.cheekPosition = _cheekPosSlider.value; UpdateUMAShape();
    32.         }
    33.     }
    35.     public void UpdateUMAShape()
    36.     {
    37.         if (_umaData != null)
    38.         {
    39.             _umaData.isShapeDirty = true;
    40.             _umaData.Dirty();
    41.         }
    42.     }
    Thank You

24. Jaimi

Jaimi

Look at the "UMA DCS Demo - Simple Setup" scene. This scene pulls all the DNA from the avatar, and generates sliders for each DNA.

malkere and IanSmellis like this.
  25. IanSmellis

IanSmellis

Oh wow, Thank You, I hadn't even noticed that. I will give that a gander.

Thanks Again

26. barrenjunk

barrenjunk

Greetings, great work on the 2.5 release. So far I really like the DCS additions and the tooling is much... much better. I quick have a question about resource management and best practices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a test scene which contains an instance of the standard UMA_DCS prefab and an object with the DynamicCharacterAvatar script attached. The race, slot and overlay libraries all have "Dynamically add from Global Library" checked and the AssetIndexer asset basically has every slot, race and overlay used added to it. When I profile on a device it seems that all images in the global library are loaded into memory (I cant find anything to confirm this but I think that when Unity loads an asset any images referenced in that assets tree are loaded into memory).

So my question is, given a fairly large number of wardrobe recipes consisting of numerous overlays which may or may not be used in a given scene, what is the best way to insure only textures used by recipes actually being used are loaded into memory? Would this still be an issue if the global library was populated from asset bundles (IE, are assets from the bundles instantiated when added to the indexer or does the indexer load them as needed)? Finally, I noticed the "Use Json Index" checkbox on the Dynamic Asset Loader but I haven't figured out how to serialize the global library to Json, is there a menu option for this or do I just need to write some code to do it?

Again, awesome job with 2.5.
    Thank you for your help.

27. hopeful

hopeful

So ... today I was looking for the high poly male and female and Athena and Dionysus textures in the asset store, and I see they are gone, along with the Challenger. Basically, all of Fernando's assets have been deprecated.

Anyone know what the scoop is on that?

28. virror

virror

Yes, he did not have time to maintain them, so he removed them and donated the content to UMA. It will probably show up it the next release, or as a separate free content download.

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

The body scans can't be included for licensing reasons, but we do have high-res versions of WillB''s as the new default textures, and they look great!

30. virror

virror

Crap, i missread. I thought he meant the slots but see now he was talking about the textures : p

31. hopeful

hopeful

Good to know! I think people will enjoy getting the high poly sets. I was just about to download them as I explore trying to make a new character creation setup.

(EDIT: As for the body scans, it would be great if Fernando has his original art and could submit a 2k or 4k version of the body textures. Also, if they can't be included in UMA's package, he should keep them on the asset store, it seems to me.)

Speaking of character setup ... what is the easiest way of loading a DCS UMA with a recipe? Or is it that the DCS prefab is for character creation, and the older dynamic avatar is for loading a recipe? I know I can load a recipe in the old one with a button click off the UI.

Also ... let's say my player has already created their recipe, but they want to go back and make a change, like a color change or slot change. If I use the DCS for that, how do I get it to load the recipe to begin with, so changes can be made?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  32. virror

virror

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

Glad you like the changes. For resource management, you can either tune each scene by using the in-scene libraries and turn off the global lib or wait for the newer version of the global lib (not released yet) which only loads the items when they're used (but keeps them cached). I'll add a function to clear the references, then you can unload them after generation if you want.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    boysenberry likes this.
  34. hopeful

hopeful

Okay, so some programming is required. I was checking to see if there was a more direct route that I was overlooking.

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can save them as a character, and the put the name on the DCA, and it will autoload it also.

36. EtherealVendetta

EtherealVendetta

I am making an Android Project using UMA.
    For me ,Global Library does not seem to work in any builds. It works in playmode though.

If i manually add to the DynamicLibraries in the UMA_DCS, the Avatar is created but i cant read the AvailableRecipes for the Race .. I tried both the Asset Store version and the github one.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

What do your build settings look like? And what version of Unity are you on? I'll try to duplicate this. ( and your using the new git hub master from https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA right?)

The global lib works by keeping a reference to the items and forcing them to be included in the build. The git hub master version has a check box that must be checked to include the references (just checked in last night) that should be automatic on 5.6.

38. EtherealVendetta

EtherealVendetta

yes the Master on github.I am on 5.6.0b6 so i guess the check box might be it. Where is it ?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  39. virror

virror

First of all i would really recommend not using an early beta version, you should upgrade to the 5.6 release : )

40. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's on the Global Library in the inspector. It was just checked in yesterday, so you may need to pull it. But if you don't have that checkbox, it should have worked as it kept a reference to the assets directly. I wonder if something is stripping assets out?

EtherealVendetta likes this.
  41. EtherealVendetta

EtherealVendetta

Upgrading to 5.6 final release Solved it out . Thanks for your help guys!

42. virror

virror

We are planning on releasing a patch in a few days (hopefully) so there will be no need to go to github to get those fixes : )

43. malkere

malkere

I'm trying to create a female for the first time. I'm using the script from the SecretAnorok series I've used it with males for some time now, clothes, hair and all. When I change the race to female, it goes through the slots/overlay code without errors, but I can't get it to load underwear. If I try to look at the slots on the UMA it says there was an error: OverlayLibrary: Uable to find: FemaleUnderwear-2. Though it remains even if I comment out the code trying to load "FemaleUnderwear01". Any clues where this "-2" is coming from?

44. virror

virror

I assume your doing this using code and not using the new DCS way since your talking about secretanoraks videos?

45. ecurtz

ecurtz

If you're using DCS the base recipes have underwear in them, that's probably where the overlay is being defined. Not sure why it's missing though, you can check in the new "UMA/UMA Global Library" menu to open the library and see if it has just been disabled.

46. malkere

malkere

Uhh soo.. I don't know the difference between the DCS systems nor what the wardrobe system is or how it works... I followed the SecretAnorak starter series and that's really all I know. Are these systems "better" ie: newer? Can I learn about the somewhere or just by looking through the demos/code?

I do see in the global library there is in fact a FemaleUnderwear-2

I'm still using the UMAkit approach of storing an overlay library in scene and referencing that. Maybe I should be referencing this global asset instead?

47. virror

virror

DCS is new with UMA 2.5. Its not "better" cause its built ontop on the old system, but its a lot easier to use and requires a lot less coding. A quickstart guide can be found here:

siblingrivalry likes this.
  48. malkere

malkere

Thanks. I copied the two prefabs into a new scene and they are in fact loading fine, male and female. I'll start learning how all this works.

49. Tomza

Tomza

Hi,

I have just copied the stuff from the UMA DCS Demo - using Asset Bundles and moved it on another scene. UI doesn't work. I cannot change race, wardrobe, coolors, etc. I saw in the UI hierarchy that the content isn't created.

50. malkere

malkere

@Tomza Are the public variables on the SampleCode object empty? That stuff is manually set, not through code and would render the buttons useless if they are not being interpreted by the SampleCode script.