Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

Thank you very much!
    I'm still trying to solve the problem. This video helps a lot.

2. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

Attached Files:

3. Teila

Teila

Skinning and rigging of hair to the UMA has to be done in a 3d modeling program like Blender. You can then save the hair with the rig (not the uma body) and create a slot for the mesh and overlay for the texture. You cannot skin in Unity.

I am not sure that you watched the correct video.

4. Teila

Teila

I really suggest you all join the UMA Slack channel at uma-community.slack.com. Several of us can send you invites.

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

What does the debug log say? Can you post it here?

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Looks like a couple of issues:

1. It looks like it has some transform wrong and it's sitting on it's side - Probably have to reset it. I forget how to do this in Blender, sorry. (I'm a Blender newbie).

2. It also looks like some of the hair is not weighted to the bones correctly (the hair should be weighted to the Head Adjust, and probably in this case (more to the bottom) Right/left Trapezus and Neck Adjust. Somewhere you're getting vertexes that aren't weighted to any bones.

3. Are you re-exporting the face with the hair? If so, make sure only the hair is selected.

There's a Blender specific tutorial here that might be helpful:

Teila likes this.
  7. UnLogick

UnLogick

Try testing your mesh with the "UMA Core Tool - Verify Slot Meshes" scene, it does a bunch of validation and can usually tell you what is wrong.

Jaimi likes this.
  8. Jaimi

Jaimi

I still can't reproduce it - I've added the code, changed the AA (verified with the magnifier that it was getting set), and it's still working. Have you tried updating your video driver? If you tell the character to rebuild, does that fix it?

9. hopeful

hopeful

Also, just as a general note: make one new slot in UMA and run it all the way through the pipeline to your build, making sure you've got it all the way right before proceeding.

Like most things with computers, if you have one little detail wrong at some point, it will never work. You have to be certain you've got the correct template / workflow going, and then you'll be golden. ;)

ecurtz and Teila like this.
  10. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

I installed the latest UMA Version from the asset store now. Using Unity 5.5.2p3.

In my Scene, I removed the old components like "SlotLibrary" etc and just like in the UMA crowd sample I added:

UMAGenerator
    UMADefaultMeshCombiner
    UMAContext ( with the libraries from Scene linked)
    DynamicRaceLibrary
    DynamicSlotLibrary
    DynamicOverlayLibrary
    DynamicCharacterSystem
    DynamicAssetLoader

and UMAMaker my own script, which generates the uma. I do never use receipes, I add Slots and overlays just like in the secret Anorak Video Clips (worked perfect with the latest branch Version).

Compiling works.

But I do not see an UMA and get Errors like

UMA recipe missing required race!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UMA.UMARecipe:Validate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAData.cs:320)
    UMA.UMAData:Validate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAData.cs:195)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:HandleDirtyUpdate(UMAData) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:188)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:OnDirtyUpdate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:247)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Work() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:131)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Update() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:96)

and

UMA recipe slot list contains only null objects!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UMA.UMARecipe:Validate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAData.cs:345)
    UMA.UMAData:Validate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAData.cs:195)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:HandleDirtyUpdate(UMAData) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:188)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:OnDirtyUpdate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:247)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Work() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:131)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Update() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:96)

When I try to add Slots or Overlays manually in the
    DynamicSlotLibrary / DynamicOverlayLibrary
    nothing happens. Not if I drag a Folder into it or a Slot into an empty Slot field.

I have the werewolf addon (but I deleted it, the problem stays the same) and the rpg starter kit from WillB.

I delete all old UMA stuff I found besides that in my project. And copied the UMA subfolder from the UMA 2.5 Project to my Project. Anything else I need to do?

Thanks a lot :)

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Did you start fresh with the package from the store (after deleting the old UMA folder)? If not, then some things might have the wrong GUID's and might not be found. (Note: it's best to install by importing the package from the asset store directly, so all the linkage will (in theory) remain)

Easiest thing to do when converting is to do the following:
    Delete the old UMA game object in the scene, and drop in the UMA_DCS prefab. (This makes sure everything is setup correctly)
    Now, let's look at the UMA Global Library - select the menuitem, and pull it up. Press the clear button, and drop the UMA/Content folder onto the drop pad in the inspector. It should take a second or so, but add all the slots/overlays/races, etc to the global library. If you have any additional content, drop their folders as well.

I recommend switching to the new wardrobe recipes, it's much easier to use, and manages all the visibility (etc) for you.

Firlefanz73 and Teila like this.
  12. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

Well, I found that I made a scale mistake and fix it.
    Then this model turns to:
    Thank you for your advices.
    YES! I fogot to reset in blender, now I have fixed it. Well, it looks better(???) now.....
    20170324032108.png
    2017324-25659.jpg
    As for re-exporting the face, no, I didn't do that,only hair and skeleton.
    Also, this afternoon I compared the example FBX with my hair and found that the example ROOT BONE was set to "Hips" but that in my hair was "Globlal".
    20170324030313.png

I am wondering if this is also one of the mistakes I have made, but I dont know how to fix it:(.
    Could anyone tell me how to set this parameter in Blender or 3DS max?:eek::eek::eek:
    Thank you all very very much.

13. ecurtz

ecurtz

Blue face could just be an overlay issue - it can be very helpful to just look at the structure of the character after it has been built, both in terms of the Unity sub meshes (which would let you look if there are two head meshes) and the UMAData inspector, which you can use to check if the hair overlay has been applied to the face mesh.

14. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks a lot Jaimi!

I deleted UMA again, imported it directly into my Project, then inserted UMA_DCS prefab.

Then I copied RPG starter pack and werewolf into my Project. The umas are still naked, but they are there again without exceptions in the console...

By the way, the orange troll in my Portrait Picture here is also an uma (troll):)

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

Did you drop the RPG starter pack onto the global index also?

16. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Yes and got it working again. Just one error remains in my game starting Scene I have a troll and a goblin. They have different DNA and clothing.
    After the update the troll got the goblin DNA (but kept troll Skin and clothing), the goblin had human DNA (but goblin Skin and clothing).

Very interesting ;-)

I bet it is because this Scene was from my first steps with uma, I searched the gameobject containing umadata and copied it. Worked before, not anymore.

No Problem, I will do it like in my game, make a neutral prefab and spawn both of that prefab and set DNA, I bet it will be working again. Thanks for the help and the latest Version.

Great work! :)

17. JamesK24

JamesK24

May I be invited please?

18. JamesK24

JamesK24

I was deleting couple of assets in the UMA folder to shrink the size of my project... I never thought there would be actual important assets in the "example" folders.. I've restored the assets I deleted and its working! Thank you!

19. gordiri

gordiri

Its happens on all computers. When I update avatar everything is fine

20. daschatten

daschatten

Please send me an invite :)

21. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

I could use an invite as well. I'll likely be getting heavily involved in UMA in a week or two.

22. Teila

Teila

If you haven't been already invited, you will need to send me your emails via PM (conversation).

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

Must be some combination of things. If you can get me a (hopefully small) project that reproduces the issue, I can take a further look at it. Thanks!

24. daschatten

daschatten

Hi,

i have messed up my main scene somehow... using a character doesn't work anymore due to 'dSlotLibrary (211): Unable to find MaleEyes'.

Tried following:
    * Remove UMADynamicCharacterAvatar and UMA_DCS and readd them -> does not work
    * Remove UMADynamicCharacterAvatar and UMA_DCS and add UMA_DCS and UMADynamicCharactarAvatarWithExpressions -> does not work
    * Create new scene (testscene), add UMADynamicCharacterAvatar and UMA_DCS -> OK
    * Switch to female, start playmode -> OK
    * Go back to old scene, remove UMADynamicCharactarAvatarWithExpressions and UMA_DCS and add UMADynamicCharacterAvatar and UMA_DCS -> does not work
    * Switch to female, start playmode -> does not work
    * Verify that MaleEyes or FemaleEyes Slots exist in DynamicSlotLibrary -> OK
    * Add second character during runtime -> [DynamicCharacterAvatar] There were no available racedatas to make an UMA from! Please either put your RaceDatas in a Resources folder or add them to (Dynamic)RaceLibrary directly
    * Add second character during runtime in testscene -> OK
    * Note: play mode in main scene takes some time... something is going on there
    * In playmode: remove UMA_DCS and readd it, enable character afterwards -> OK
    * Remove UMA_DCA and UMADynamicCharacterAvatar, add them in playmode -> OK

Seems that UMA_DCS is corrupt when it exists when entering playmode, but only in this scene...

Any ideas?

25. daschatten

daschatten

I finally managed to create an additional slot (for FinalIK AimIK) and i had some difficulties doing this:

1. Copying an existing slot asset file (capsule collider) did not work
    2. Creating an empty slot with slot builder did not work
    3. There is no menu entry for creating a new plain slot file
    Finally i added some lines to 'SlotDataAsset.cs':

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2.         [UnityEditor.MenuItem("Assets/Create/UMA/Core/Slot")]
    3.         public static void CreateSlotAsset()
    4.         {
    5.             UMAEditor.CustomAssetUtility.CreateAsset<SlotDataAsset>();
    6.         }
    7. #endif
    This works, but what is the supposed way to add an additional slot?

26. Jaimi

Jaimi

Did you import the package through the asset store?
    My guess is that the Global Library has the wrong references. To solve this, rebuild it by using the menu item to load it, and then dropping the content folder onto the drop pad.

27. daschatten

daschatten

Nope, i got the package from github. Tried your suggestion, but doesn't work. I can work with a new scene, so there is no real problem for me. But it is strange!

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

My best guess on this is that there is another UMAContext in the scene somewhere (the system looks for that in the scene), and that's how it finds the libraries, etc. If that's not it, I'm at a loss.

29. daschatten

daschatten

No there isn't another one in the scene. Seems the scene file itself got corrupted.

30. malkere

malkere

I'm getting a GUI error when I try to fix the hair materials because the MaleHair01 overlay and the MaleHair1_Slot are set different materials by default. When I click the round selector to the right of the material and click a different one it gives me this:

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Pop () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:329)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:290)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndScrollView (Boolean handleScrollWheel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:427)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.EndScrollView () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7449)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:389)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

and then double-clicking on it gives this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:263)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7153)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawPreviewAndLabels () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:635)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:392)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

and then it works fine. I tried resetting the layout to default, but it didn't change anything. I'm on 5.5.0f3

Also, and forgive my bluntness, the hair looks horrible. If I try either of the "hair" shaders it's a patchy mess. If I use the default one it's super shiny in parts, not so in other. If I set it to white it fades from pitch black sections to bright white sections. Should I be looking third party or am I missing something to make hair just a normal color for starters?

31. hopeful

hopeful

Everybody is looking for something different for their games: various toon styles, various shades of realism, varying degrees of performance, etc. Fortunately, UMA supports most sorts of changes in its framework. So if you need different hair art, make or buy what is pleasing to you, and if you want different hair shading, use whatever hair shader you want. You're not locked in; what you see in the free examples are just free examples.

Another sort of image issue you may come across is that of resolution. Keep in mind that you control not only the resolution of the character atlas, but also the size of each slot's overlay. If you have a part of your character that looks ratty, maybe that overlay needs to have its texture size increased. Or, if your character overall looks a bit low in detail, consider increasing the atlas size.

Also, when you are beginning to set up the system for your art, be sure to visually check the first atlases you make, to see if each part is sized according to the amount of detail you desire. You might have something really big in the atlas that doesn't have a lot of detail and could be shrunk, opening up more space for other things.

And no problem with making recommendations, especially if they are specific solutions, because that's how the project moves along.

chelnok likes this.
  32. malkere

malkere

@hopeful thanks for the resolution tip.

I expect to look outside the box anyway I'm not a "as-is" kind of user, I just couldn't see how the default hair would be of much use in any situation unless you were fine with the super oily black hair look XD Other than that I'm fine with the mesh and the texture quality for a good example to just get in and start using. Maybe it's just me though, I went straight to trying to get brown and blond hair and it just wasn't happening.

33. hopeful

hopeful

You mean you weren't getting blonde and brown hair on random crowd scenes? I have them in mine. Maybe you need to adjust (or re-adjust) a setting.

And definitely you can get that hair color on purpose. Again, look for settings. You can have any hair color out of the color picker.

34. malkere

malkere

Looks like I was trying to do something I'm not supposed to. I was using Slot: MaleHair1 with Overlay: MaleHair01 or MaleHair02, and complaining that the default materials were not matched up. both those overlays are not designed for MaleHair1 though which uses MeshHairStd. As is in the crowd example you directed me to. Thanks!

Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  35. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

Well,yesterday I re-exported the hair and the skeleton by using 3ds max instead of blender, all the problems seemed to be solved.:oops:
    Maybe I have installed a fake Blender...
    Nevertheless, thank you all so much!:rolleyes:

36. MrG

MrG

Is there merit in starting a new thread for 2.5 and drawing attn. to the huuuge upgrade this version is over the very dated and difficult version that's been on the Asset Store for so long?

37. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

^ I second this idea, provided we can get a redirect here to the new thread and a mod to lock it so it doesn't split our attention. I don't really think we should do this because of increased attention, but because the system is so different now that 100 pages of irrelevant data only serves to confuse and/or overwhelm new users, rather than being at all helpful. We can't even keep the OP updated with relevant links/guides here.

TeagansDad, chelnok and MrG like this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

I think it would be great to have a new thread with the first one or two posts being reserved for explanation of the features found in UMA 2.5. That way new people reading up on it would begin with an idea of what the current version of UMA is, and not what UMA was when it first arrived in the asset store.

Start fresh.

MrG likes this.
  39. Jaimi

Jaimi

I agree also - a new thread highlighting the new features. I'll work with everyone on the slack channel, and see what we can come up with.

chelnok and hopeful like this.
  40. Arakon

Arakon

This new release is really nice.
    I'm having an issue with the Expressions example though. I'm not sure if it my understanding, my project, or something else. When I open the example scene "UMA Core Tool - Expression Clip Editor", I get a blank scene when I hit play. I've tried toggling both the the male and female avatars. No UMA avatar or anything. The other example scenes all seem to work properly.

It was a new project. I initially got the latest UMA 2 (today) from the asset store, then after the first try of Expressions was blank, grabbed a copy from git. Still empty scene.

thoughts?

41. ecurtz

ecurtz

That scene isn't a demo, it's a tool scene for editing animation clips used by the expression player. There should be a text document next to the scene explaining its use.

42. virror

virror

@ecurtz Told you there would be misunderstandings around it : p

43. ecurtz

ecurtz

RTFM :rolleyes:

TeagansDad and umutozkan like this.
  44. virror

virror

Your really think ppl do that? : D

45. sfoust

sfoust

UMA 2.5 is looking extremely interesting.

After doing some limited exploration and testing, I've managed to get UMA working in a rudimentary way with our existing game code. I'm planning to do further testing and to hopefully replace our old in-house avatar system with UMA. To help get other people here on-board, is there a list of games that have successfully used UMA in a commercially released product?

Thanks for continuing to develop an amazing looking project.

46. MrG

MrG

As if there's been something to read for 2 years. We'd be shocked to find current docs now :D

Jaimi likes this.
  47. Arakon

Arakon

I did read the directions.. It says to:
    * Select and enable either the Male_Unified or Female_Unified character
    and also:
    * Arrange the Editor layout so that the Inspector, Animation, and either Scene or Game
    view are all visible

so, I was assuming that the expression sliders would affect something visible so that animations could be created and saved? I get a blank screen in Edit mode (maybe I left that out?) and obviously also in Play, in both Scene and Game views. Are the included male and female models supposed to be viewable, or are expressions developed invisible? Do you have to somehow bring in your own models - if so, how?

48. ecurtz

ecurtz

Apparently someone (coincidentally enough probably @virror) deleted the meshes that it was using. Sorry about that, I'll get it fixed for the next update. If you want to try it before then you can go into the child objects, UMA_Human_Male and UMA_Human_Female and set all of the missing materials to "Default-Diffuse" and the missing mesh to the matching mesh, e.g. "UMA_Human_Female" using the popup selector.

TeagansDad, Arakon and hopeful like this.
  49. ecurtz

ecurtz

That RTFM was directed at virror, not the general user base, but as a matter of fact that scene has always had the little instruction text with it. :p

50. virror

virror

Oops, sorry about that! : D