Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. ecurtz

ecurtz

You can do most of those pretty well using the existing adjustment bones. The exception is adding a tail, which would require its own bones. That would involve creating the tail in a 3d program (including the bones used to animate and/or adjust its shape) then using the UMA tools to build a slot from that tail model. When that slot is added to your character it will automatically join the new tail bones into the rest of the skeleton as the character is built.

2. virror

virror

@LukeDawn I really recommend you to try it out, that would answer many of your basic questions and just downloading it and running a scene takes a few mins max (depending on download time) : )

3. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe a default tail and wings (and whatever else makes sense) can be added to a future version of UMA for example purposes.

It could be programmer art. ;)

4. virror

virror

Adding tails and wings are the same as adding arms and legs, and we already have examples of that ; )

5. hopeful

hopeful

Arms and legs are part of the humanoid rig, while wings and tails are not. Anyway, it's just a suggestion. :)

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Also about bone placement to perform better shape, The craigperko channel youtube had some experiment on that, would help anyone who are interested on that, I posted the early experiment where he reviewed UMA some page ago.

7. virror

virror

@hopeful for UMA, arms and legs are just slots the same way as wings and tails, so the workflow is exactly the same, thats what i meant

Teila likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila

You could change them in runtime. Either script so that the texture changes when triggered or make an overlay of dirt, blood, whatever, and have the overlay added at runtime.

9. ZayLong

ZayLong

Hi, I'm certain this question has been asked before but I can't find it in this long thread anymore.

I'm experiencing this issue with the legs of my dynamic character bouncing up and down constantly. Does anyone know what the fix for this is?

Also can someone explain how the global library works? There doesn't appear to be any thorough documentation on it.

Thanks

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

The global library acts as an index for all your slots/overlays/wardroberecipes/races/etc. In UMA 2.0, you needed to put these items into libraries in your scene. In 2.5, you can choose to put them in the Global Library instead, and they will be available in ALL scenes. To use it, just open the global library, and drag the items (or folders) onto the drop pad.

I don't understand what you mean by your characters legs are bouncing, though, I haven't seen this. Do you know how to duplicate it?

11. ZayLong

ZayLong

The movement looks like this. just abruptly happened. no errors in the console.

its a GIF

https://gyazo.com/b0d545e6003b300da3d49914306443d6

in the global assets I'm trying to load the UnityChallengerArmor set I took that folder dragged and dropped it into the global library but nothing actually happens.

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

The Challenger armor is used in the Asset Bundle demo, and is tagged to go in an Asset Bundle. Items in asset bundles are ignored by the Global Library (putting them in the global library would make them live in your build, and that would defeat the purpose of it being in an asset bundle). You'll need to remove it from the Asset Bundle to use it normally.

For your character - are you using some sort of IK? The bouncing looks like some IK thing went crazy.

13. ZayLong

ZayLong

Actually now I see its from an Inventory Pro/UMA integration script. Weird....

And as far as the asset bundle and Global library goes.

I figured that but I see the actual asset files for the challenger slots and recipes in the actual project directory so I'm having a hard time connecting what I have to do with these assets that I don't have to do with say the T shirt asset.

They appear to be the same.

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

All assets have to be in your project - some will be built into your game at build time, and others will be built into asset bundles for distribution later. Adding them to the Global Library will ensure that the assets will be included in your game build, and you can add them to characters, even if nothing references them.

To include the challenger assets in the global library (and in your game build), you will need to pull them out of the asset bundle which they are assigned to. Easiest thing to do is select the "UnityChallengerArmorSet" folder, and change it so that it's not in an asset bundle. (look in the inspector, on the very bottom). Make sure you check the subfolders too.

15. zetorchen

zetorchen

i want to visit https://uma.unity3d.com/wiki

but failed with the message:

Error 503 Backend fetch failed
    Backend fetch failed

Guru Meditation:
    XID: 126663016

Varnish cache server

what's wrong?

16. zetorchen

zetorchen

my purpose is to download the Content_Creation.

17. zetorchen

zetorchen

OK
    i finally find that on github.

hopeful likes this.
  18. Jaimi

Jaimi

The wiki has moved to:

http://umawiki.secretanorak.com/

This will be updated in the asset store text when UMA 2.5 is approved.

19. gordiri

gordiri

You understood wrong. This problem happens when AA changed while playing. For example in game i have slider, that changes AA. When i change it avatars become black

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Still not released on the asset store. Why does this take so long? Didnt you guys wrote it is basically finished (the completely new version) and submitted to the Unity Asset Store? I dont want to use beta software for my project, when will we get a stable final version?..

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

Can you post the code you used to change the AA? I'll try to duplicate it

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

We did a last minute fix of some materials, and then did a full test of the sample scenes, and everything checked out. It's ready to upload, but there is a lot of stuff that is involved in doing that. If you want to get the version that we're going to upload, you can right now from here: https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA

tequyla, John-G, umutozkan and 3 others like this.
  23. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

When will the tutorials be updated/created? I tried using the latest version from Git Hub and I couldn't get it working at all.
    I followed Secret Anorak's race creation videos using my own character model. When I used the slot builder with a single mesh, it created 5 slot assets. When I tried my own race data asset inside of a resource folder, it said that my race was missing its base recipe when it was attached to it, and when I tried switching the DCS avatar's race back to my own it wasn't listed. I tried adding the assets directly to the libraries, I just ended up with a bunch of repeating errors.

24. Teila

Teila

Since it was just released, you need to give everyone time to update their tutorials.

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

1) When people make new tutorials. There are some out there, but it takes time.
    2) If your model has 5 different meshes, it will create 5 different slots.
    3) You don't need to put your race in the resources anymore. Add it to the global library.

26. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

1) I thought someone said some new tutorials were coming with the update
    2) As I said my model only has one mesh
    3) I'll try that

27. Jaimi

Jaimi

There are new tutorials coming, this is all volunteer work. Messy Coder has some already:

edit: The forum won't let me post a link to his page, keeps trying to make it an embedded video.

Put the dots back in, and go here:
    www youtube com/channel/UCeXJl4hWkgS-wvtvRtS_y2w

If the slotmaker made 5 slots, then you have 5 meshes. They're probably submeshes, so you won't even know it from looking at it in Unity. This is an issue you'll have to address in your modelling tool. Or just use 5 slots.

umutozkan likes this.
  28. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

OH! You must be right about the sub meshes! I didn't even realize that the eyes, tongue, and such, weren't separate meshes. I apologize for my ignorance. :D
    I understand about the tutorials and look forward to seeing them. :)

hopeful likes this.
  29. virror

virror

30. hopeful

hopeful

31. ecurtz

ecurtz

As you may have noticed some of the screenshots are very out of date, so if you're using UMA and have some nice images of it in action feel free to post them and we might use them for the Asset Store.

hopeful and umutozkan like this.
  32. Teila

Teila

Looks beeeaaauuutiful to me! Great job, guys! Congrats on the release. :)

hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  33. gordiri

gordiri

I'm using smth like:
    public void OnAntialiasingChanged(float value)
    {
    var aa = value == 0 ? 0 : Mathf.Pow(2, value);
    QualitySettings.antiAliasing = (int)aa;
    }
    and this function is attached to slider OnValueChanged. Slider with whole numbers from 0 to 3

34. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

35. gordiri

gordiri

I also updated to 2.5 from asset store, but i have error, with INameProvider in unity and in vs too :(

36. UnLogick

UnLogick

Then you got a corrupted update... try removing the old uma and then update again. INameProvider is in the package.

37. ZayLong

ZayLong

So would we still need UMA PBR or is that all bundled in now?

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's not needed anymore - the body textures have been replaced with improved textures.

39. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

Hey, could you record a video teaching how to add a new (long) hair?
    I tried hard but turned out to change the head's tex:oops:
    Thank you very much! uma is an amazing software.
    I'm not good at English, hoping you can understand, sorry:(

40. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi liuduanbai,

Adding a long hair requires you to create a mesh (in a 3d program) create textures to go with it. Make a UMA slot from that mesh and preferably create a wardrobe slot for it.

There are tutorials on how to create content slots for UMA but not for hair specifically if I remember right. But the workflow is similar. Just check @SecretAnorak's youtube channel.

hopeful likes this.
  41. Teila

Teila

Skin and rig it just like the hat. It is not really too hard at all. You should start with an updo, ponytail, or short hair so you can learn how to do the resizing and skinning. Long hair is slightly more complicated.

If you are asking how to change the hair in UMA, not add new hair, then you can just find a hair recipe, duplicate it, and replace it with the slots and overlays for the hair you want. Then add it to your Wardrobe list.

Anisoropos and hopeful like this.
  42. luis29vm

luis29vm

Hello I just download the Uma asset today, and is very nice, I make my own uma, but i have questions if I buy some more asset like this one:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/48619
    is any other asset that you recommend to use the avatar with the animation? i dont know what animation works good with the UMA asset please recomend what animation I can use for monsters, archers,mages, knight etc. Thank you
    PD : right now the only playable animation is the avatar moving the head XD,

43. Teila

Teila

Any animations work as long as they are mecanim. Read the description before you buy. I use Kubold animations, which are very nice mocap animations. You can also use Mixamo and any other mecanim animations you see on the asset store. If in doubt, ask here about specific animation packs before you buy.

You will have to do some little stuff to make your animations look nicer, such as copy the t-pose over and set animations to humanoid although many will already be set. Secret Anorak has a nice video on creating a race and in the video, he sets up the animations to work with the new mesh. I don't know if this has changed with the new UMA but you can always ask here. Good luck!

Anisoropos, TeagansDad and luis29vm like this.
  44. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

Okay, I know I should just grab it and try... I've been itching to do it for a while, but I figure I'd ask first. Some of the more experienced UMA guys here can probably give a quick and dirty answer to prompt me forward...
    I've been looking at this other asset for a while, called Hair Tool (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/66094), it does some amazing quality hair via shader and built in optimized physics for it. I am curious how difficult it would be to integrate this with UMA? It's a hidden gem on my list, and I'd love to hear it'll snap right in place on a UMA hair slot with a small slot wrapper or something?

45. ecurtz

ecurtz

Documentation link doesn't work, so it's hard to know what is required, it depends a lot on what custom data is needed. If it's just mesh data and a custom shader it would be pretty easy, but less so if there's other resources.

46. kenamis

kenamis

It's possible. I've done it. You would need to script a slot wrapper. If you're familiar how the "AdditionalSlots" examples work then it'll be easy for you. If you haven't purchased it yet there are other issues though not related to UMA integration. PM me if you need to know more.

47. hopeful

hopeful

IIRC, Hair Tool uses a scalp mesh with particles attached to it in Blender (or something like that). Like shaders that use vertex colors, I think this info should be passed along without trouble in UMA.

If anyone does set up a slot for the hair using Hair Tool, please consider submitting it to the UMA project in Github.

I think there are a variety of slots that people might want to set up for compatibility with this or that plugin, and I would encourage the people who write those slots to submit them for inclusion into the main UMA so others can use them and the overall friendliness of the UMA package grows. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    umutozkan likes this.
  48. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

Thank you, to everyone who quickly replied about this. I feel a bit spoiled, I barely expected a hint of "get off your ass and try", but it's nice to see the positive responses. I most certainly will contribute a slot wrapper for Hair Tool if/when I look into it further. @kenamis suggested there may be some additional troubles with it, so I might venture down that path before I commit just yet, but... it looks so amazing, it's worth a few troubles.

hopeful likes this.
  49. JamesK24

JamesK24

Hi guys... I have a big problem here.. I am getting used to the new UMA 2.5 and I have couple of wardrobe recipes that I made.. In editor mode it looks fine seems like the system is going right... However.. when I actually build my game and play... the wardrobe recipes aren't working and the avatar's appear naked. Checked the debug log... and there seems to be a problem with the uma asset indexer ,dynamic character system, dynamic race library, and asset loader ... I've checked the indexer and the indexer has all the recipes and the others are fine.... Whats the problem... help me out please...

50. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

I followed the tutorial but...I've been stuck here for 3 days. Screenshots of my steps are below (I hope the pictures can be seen...)

2017323-184414.jpg 2017323-205109.jpg QQ图片20170323184224.png
    图片20170323184301.png
    2017323-204557.jpg
    It turns out to be a wrong model in unity.
    Could you please tell me what mistakes I make in these steps? Maybe something wrong while binding skeleton in blender?
    Thanks a lot.:oops:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017