Search Unity

UMA Power Tools Support (v. 2.9)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnLogick, Jan 7, 2014.

1. UnLogick

UnLogick

On the UMAData component you'll find the uma skeleton, this will let you query for any bone by name and return the transform/gameobject. The skeleton contains a dictionary using the hashed string of the name so it's lightning fast to retrieve them. If that's all the UFPS needs then you're down to adding two components in the character created event.

And thanks for the kind words, if you do desire a refund all you gotta do is say the word. The power tools are targeted at people who wants lots of characters or true prefabs disconnected from uma. I'll give the idea of having the prefab as a fast spawner but keeping the uma parts in there some thought but those parts are not meant to be serialized and the uma code wouldn't know how to release the static texture... but it might be possible as an alternate way to see your characters in the editor.

hopeful likes this.
  2. UnLogick

UnLogick

The problem with StencilDepth has been fixed by UMA release 2.0.5!

Please grab latest version of UMA if you use Unity 5.2 or higher.

Edit: Just realized that the 5.2 error is fixed run-time. So you might still see error messages when in edit mode, but they're harmless. Unity in their wisdom decided to break a ui component that's been working from 4.6-5.1.x. If you grow tired of the errors it's trivial to fix the scene by finding the Mask component on the Canvas/DnaEditorPanel game object and replacing it with a RectMask2D component.

Next time I update the power tools I'll make sure to upload all three versions. (4.6.1, 5.0.0 and 5.2.0)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Mikael-H and hopeful like this.
  3. Malwallace12

Malwallace12

I reimported UMA Power Tools after updating and reimporting UMA 2 to 2.0.5. When I reimported, it threw a bunch of errors like "Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Integrations/PowerToolsIntegration/PowerToolsIntegration.cs(7,29): error CS0101: The namespace `UMA.Integrations' already contains a definition for `PowerToolsIntegration'" and "Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/OverlayData.cs(19,41): error CS0102: The type `UMA.OverlayData' already contains a definition for `asset'"
    How do I fix these errors?

4. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hmm... sounds like there is left over files from your upgrade of uma 2. Unfortunately the asset store installer doesn't allow us to forcibly delete files, so this sometimes happens.

Try to search for the file PowerToolsIntegration in the unity project view (search is on the project view header). And then delete both of them, once that is done you reimport both uma2 and power tools to ensure the correct file is recreated.

Or:
    If you want to be absolutely sure you end up in a clean state you can delete these folders to fully clean up and then reimport uma 2 and power tools. If you have any custom content or third party content make sure to move it out of the way first. Third party content will typically be located in the Assets/UMA/Content, Assets/UMA/UMAContent or Assets/UMA/Extensions folders.

Once you've moved your stuff out of the way you can delete these folders to clean up.
    Assets/Standard Assets/UMA
    Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA
    Assets/UMA

Deleting these three folders will remove all traces of the previous uma installation, and then you can install uma 2 and power tools again and everything should work.

Let me know how it goes.

5. Duffer123

Duffer123

I am looking at UMA 2 (and DK UMA2) but to be honest it all looks v complicated. I'd like Playmaker impementation. I'd like something that makes it v simple to create characters that are no longer dependent on UMA. More than anything I'd like something that makes it easy as pie to create armour/clothing for characters that works... Will this asset help with any of that?>

6. Orleron

Orleron

Where is the autoLoader script? It does not appear to be part of the UMA Power Tools package of scripts.

7. Orleron

Orleron

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

8. hopeful

hopeful

Try sending @UnLogick a PM or email. He might be away on holiday or not getting forum notifications.

9. UnLogick

UnLogick

@Orleron, Apologies for the late reply I've been having a S***ty couple months and is currently on sick leave from my day job.

The AutoLoader system has been renamed and extended to be the new LOD system. So now you can change the recipe slots and the texture resolution based on distance.

I'm afraid I don't have proper documentation for this. Please take a look at the LOD demo scenes.

10. Teila

Teila

hopeful likes this.
  11. Orleron

Orleron

Awesome, thanks man. Sorry to hear you're down.

12. chilton

chilton

New project, latest version of Unity, latest version of UMA.

And I get this: "The type or namespace name `UMA' could not be found" error. Included is a screenshot of what the UMA package installs.

Any suggestions?

-Chilton

Attached Files:

13. hopeful

hopeful

Going by the screen shot you added, it looks like you have downloaded the wrong package. You have UMAzing, not UMA2. (Also, none of this relates, really, to UMA Power Tools. Maybe this should have been posted in the UMAzing or UMA threads ...?)

What you need to download is here, and if you want to use PBR you'll need this, too. Import those into your project. Then, if you want to use UMAzing, import that, and it should have access to the UMA2 resources.

14. Teila

Teila

I sure hope you didn't just buy Umazing. It no longer works at all with UMA2. If you just bought it, I would attempt to get your money back asap. Had you read the reviews, you would not have purchased it.

15. UltraTM

UltraTM

How can we use the LOD system would love to have it also in my project.

What need to be changed or is it easy hook able?

16. UnLogick

UnLogick

It should be fairly easy to extend, but very poorly documented, so some code reading skills would be required. I'm currently swamped and will not be updating the docs in the near future.

17. Moerk75

Moerk75

Anyone using Power Tool 2 with Atavism?

18. UnLogick

UnLogick

I have tested Power Tools 2 against the official UMA 2 package. I have not tested it against Atavism's version of UMA.

The Power Tools LOD is built into an UMALODAvatar I know Atavism has their own AtavismUMAAvatar, so some sort of hacking/integration will be needed, this might be trivial or it might be hard.

I suggest you ask on the main UMA thread or the UMA section of the Atavism because only a few people (besides me) watches this support thread.

If you want to try it I can offer support getting it to work, and a refund if it turns out to be too complex.

Moerk75 likes this.
  19. karmik

karmik

Can i use uma power tools with orkframework. Any one tried it

20. UnLogick

UnLogick

UMA Powertools is an extension on top of UMA.

If UMA works with the orkframework I guarantee the power tools will work as well. The only reason Atavism got a different answer is because they have a different copy of uma than the standard one.

So I think you should post your question on the uma forum.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uma-unity-multipurpose-avatar-on-the-asset-store.219175/

Simply put I'm sure uma can work with the orc framework, but I'm not sure how much work it would be. Perhaps someone else can answer that, but they'll most likely not be looking at this extension support thread. :)

21. karmik

karmik

Is there a demo version i can try so i can check compatinility woth orc. It doesnt work out of box. Was hoping attaching uma char to a prefab and using it in ork may do the trick

22. UnLogick

UnLogick

Ahh, now I understand.

The PowerTools make a prefab from a UMA character, so what you get is similar to any other model from a fbx file. So you can certainly make an uma character into a prefab and then use that prefab with ork.

However what you can't do is then customize that character with uma sliders afterwards. When you bake the prefab you bake that exact character as is and remove all uma stuff.

If Ork supports spawning a character entity and then swapping the mesh at runtime it will be easy to support uma in ork. Because what UMA does is build the mesh at runtime.

23. karmik

karmik

Ok just worried if i buy this and later it fails to work. So am asking if there is some way i can test a character processed with power tools in ork and check. Is there any way to test before i buy.

24. UnLogick

UnLogick

25. karmik

karmik

Looks great. Got it working. Only problem, i think i see some holes in the users face near the eye and mouth. Is this a problem with this character or should we expect such problems with UMA characters. I have a few close combat scenes and it may look awkward if the character is displayed this way. Sorry if this is a basic question. I am still learning UMA.

upload_2016-5-7_7-5-42.png

26. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not familiar with holes showing up. Can you get a screenshot of it?

27. karmik

karmik

If you look closely at the the image i attached in my post by enlarging a bit you can find tiny white spots near the eye and mouth of the troll character

28. hopeful

hopeful

I can see tiny white spots, but those are not necessarily holes. There are a variety of other problems that can result in white spots. (Do a forum search for "white spots.")

29. UnLogick

UnLogick

This is not holes in the mesh, try pausing the game and use the scene view to zoom up close in the editor and you will see that this is the eyes and teeth that are producing these ultra bright pixels. This is a problem with the content, you can fix that by working on the textures, or by using custom shaders. You can also conceal it with post effects like ssao or similar.

30. UnLogick

UnLogick

In preparation of uma 2.1 with a lot of cool new features, Power Tools 2.1 is being prepared! With a lot of cool new improvements.
    • Massive Performance Boost, will outperform regular uma in all use cases!
      Character Creation: ~4% slower than normal UMA (both are 7ms on my system)!
      Per Frame: ~36% faster Animation and Skinning! (6.71ms vs 4.29ms in the LOD scene on my system)
    • 50% - 80% reduced garbage per character!
      uma ~600kb, power tools no cache ~300kb, power tools cache ~110kb
    • Activate Bone Baking with one menu click!
      Toggling Bone Baking on and off in a scene is just one click!
    More info will be announced as UMA 2.1 approaches. Please note that UMA 2.1 (and Power Tools 2.1) requires unity 5.3+. The massive performance increase is partially dependent on unity 5.3's updated mesh apis.

TeagansDad, hopeful and ecurtz like this.
  31. silentneedle

silentneedle

I'm very interested in the LOD system. Some questions:

- Is it hard to integrate?
    - Are the LOD's generated at runtime?
    - When replacing a slot, will the new slot also be lod'ed?

32. UnLogick

UnLogick

I think I need to clarify that the LOD system doesn't produce LOD meshes. It is a system that will let you specify things like "HighPolyArmor slot is replaced with LowPolyArmor at LOD range 5" and "Eyes slot are replaced with nothing at LOD range 4". It will then create a temporary recipe and update the avatar to that.

Power Tools LOD features
    • Arbitary number of Levels of Detail
    • Replace Slots based on LOD
    • Set Atlas Resolution Scale for each LOD
      Similar to what I added in uma 2.1, the unity53 branch, this greatly reduces texture memory needs.
    • Can disable the Animator at a certain LOD.
      Animating an npc far away is a waste of time
    • Only sends the two nearest characters to the generator at a time
      This ensures that nearby characters is processed first and far away characters update when/if possible.
    • A distance scale factor
      Big bosses and team members can "scale" the distance to stay at a higher quality (or even visible) at greater distance
    I would rate the LOD system as medium hard to use, mostly due to lack of documentation. Once you get a hang of it it's very simple and does exactly what it's supposed to.

In Power Tools LOD in 2.1 I'll add an LOD budget
    • Each LOD group will have a number of allowed characters, this means that if a region is too crowded you'll simply get a lower LOD than expected but your system will not run out of resources!

twobob, silentneedle and hopeful like this.
  33. kikkina

kikkina

Hi all, I'm using UMA plugin and UMA Power Tools, latest version of both. I need to ask if, after I generated prefab of my custom uma, I can configured it prefab's avatar. I need to force the avatar in Tpose for interact with Kinect Plugins. For now the prefab interact with kinect but his pose is wrong (arms go back to spine!).
    Thanks in advance.

34. UnLogick

UnLogick

That's an interesting question, I believe I have a chunk of code somewhere that will apply the T-Pose from a uma t-pose asset onto a model. I never tested it against a bone baked prefab, but I believe it should work. Let me dig around and see if I can't find it.

Come to think of it perhaps all exported prefabs should be in the T-Pose to begin with, right now you just get the random pose the character was in during animation, which was nice for previewing in a scene, but might not be practical.

hopeful likes this.
  35. karmik

karmik

Hi i am planing to make a prefab of uma humanoid character and then animate with mecanim animations. Wanted to check if this will work out of the box or if i need to make any changes to make it work.

This is for a mobile game so i am also hoping skeliton decimation/lod would help me bring the size donw to lowpoly range. My plan is basically to create mobile compatible animateble prefabs.

So i wanted to check uma power tools can do this for me.

36. UnLogick

UnLogick

The UMA male and female base meshes has mecanim compatible rigs and indeed are set up to generate mecanim humanoid characters by default.

The power tools bone baking removes the non animated bones of UMA, so it reduces the number of bones and thereby reduces the cost of animation and skinning. It does not affect the number of polygons/triangles in any way. For that you need replacement slots with lower poly count to begin with. So it's faster on the cpu but not a lot faster on the gpu.

The power tools prefabs removes the uma from the characters and save them as prefabs so they work similarly to any other unity mesh. Of course the power tools still preserves full mecanim compatibility.

37. UnLogick

UnLogick

I've submitted the Unity Fbx Exporter to the unity asset store.
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-fbx-exporter-submitted-to-the-asset-store.434348/

I intend to make an integration so that if you own both packages you can export a generated uma character as a full blown fbx on top of the current unity prefab. This also means you can import it in other tools like Maya and Max. Quite a few people has asked for this functionality over the years which was my motivation to make the fbx exporter to begin with.

38. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hi i am interested if the power tools work with the latest uma version and when the latest update will be integrated and or if we have to wait for the new fbx exporter to be integrated.
    Can we use races with the power tools to?

39. UnLogick

UnLogick

The power tools releases matches the uma releases, so power tools works with the latest released uma 2.0

I am of course keeping the power tools up to date with current uma development, so as soon as we release uma 2.1 I will also release a new Power Tools 2.1.

Since we're been waiting so long for uma 2.1 I suppose quite a few people is getting stuck in this limbo.

So if anyone want the latest power tools version that works with the unity53 branch on github you can email me your invoice number and I'll manually send you an unofficial patch, keep in mind that this will be my latest snapshot, not some fully tested product.

silentneedle likes this.
  40. PerunCreative

PerunCreative

Hi, I have problem with save character prefabs. When I export my runtime uma character to prefab, his global bone position is changed and when animator is active my exported character is than offset below ground. He has feet and part of legs under the surface. How can I fix this?

41. PerunCreative

PerunCreative

I have more data regarding the saving problem. When using the default mesh combiner, there are no problems, but when I switch to bone baking mesh combiner, than export becomes messy. Here are some of my observations: small character (low height) becomes bigger when exported, lowering leg size offsets exported character down when using animator, higher values of leg size are pushing the character up.

42. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hi Vasica

This sounds very mysterious, I've never seen that myself, so the bone baked character looks correct until you export him. Does the scene character also change size or is it only the prefab? Does it happen in the pure uma demo scenes or did you do something special in your scene? Are you using the expression system or anything else that modifies the character pose at runtime?

What version of Unity, UMA and power tools are you using?

43. PerunCreative

PerunCreative

Yes the bone baked character works fine, until I press save character prefab. When export is done character in the scene is immediately changed. When I place my character in the scene without animator active he is standing corretly, but when activated it goes under the ground. I have checked the bones and they seem to be on the correct positions. I was incorrect about the global bone, it always stays in 0,0,0 but for example LeftFoot has yPos 2.5844 when animator off, when on it moves to 3.5. I dont use expression system and I was working in uma crowd scene.

I am using two weeks old UMA version from git, PowerTools53_build1 and unity 5.4.2f. I will try to download the newest uma version and test it there

EDIT:
    I have created clean project, downloaded latest uma version, put there powertools. Same problem with bone baking when saving to prefab

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  44. UnLogick

UnLogick

Oh right... you're on the new version... I completely forgot about that.

Well that actually gives me an idea about what is causing this.

45. PerunCreative

PerunCreative

I really need help with this asap.

46. UnLogick

UnLogick

I've just retested with latest uma (unity53 branch) and it worked just fine.

I sent you mail, come join me on the uma slack for faster support.

47. UnLogick

UnLogick

Thanks @Vasica for finding the bug.

To everyone else who is using the uma 2.1 beta of power tools, you need to comment out powertoolsruntime.cs:31 when generating bone baked prefabs.

48. Vikings2015

Vikings2015

Hi UnLogick - I've tried to email and start a "conversation" via the unity site but no response so thought I would try here. I've updated to Unity 5.5 and UMA 53 branch but need an update to my power tools since I running into compile errors. Please advise, thanks!

49. UnLogick

UnLogick

Sorry about that, damn Unity forum take a quick peek at a message and it marks it as read and that's it you'll never see it again unless you dig for it. There should at least be a mark as unread button. :)

To obtain the power tools 2.1 beta all you gotta do is send me a message with your email address and an invoice number and I'll mail the latest version to you.

I haven't tested it against 5.5 yet, so there might be some compiler warnings and such. As usual if there are bugs report them here, be sure to state if you're on the 2.1 or 2.0 version, they're actually quite different, lots of performance optimizations in the 2.1 beta.

Teila likes this.
  50. Vikings2015

Vikings2015

Heheh no problem - i'm fine with the beta and have responded to your message, thanks!