Search Unity

UMA Power Tools Support (v. 2.9)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnLogick, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Teila

Teila

Oh, I certainly did not expect you to create the shaders and artwork, UnLogick. :) I am just trying to figure out how I can use the prefabs in linear. So, if I download the pbr shaders from Fernando, I should be able to get them to work?

Or does Power Tools only make prefabs with legacy content? I will be using content made by Will that I believe is updated for UMA 2. I can convert anything myself that isn't ready. Is UMA 2 ready for pbr content or does it still require legacy? I suspect not since Will has converted some of his stuff.

Thanks so much. I realize that this is your tool and that UMA is not the subject of this thread but just want to make sure everything is in place so I can actually use your tool to do what I need it to do.

2. hopeful

hopeful

@Teila - It sounds like UnLogick now realizes what the problem is, and he can probably fix it fairly quickly by modifying some of the code in UMA2.

Early on, UMA was aimed at light desktop / heavy mobile and Unity free, so it was aimed at use in gamma space, not with linear. Of course, now linear is available with U5 free, so now both modes must be supported.

Until it's fixed, if you need to create prefabs for demo purposes, and if you are getting "burnt" looking ones like I was, just switch temporarily to gamma and make them. Then when you're done switch back to linear. If I understand it correctly that's a hacky way of making the fix UnLogick is talking about.

As for the PBR, now that Fernando is working with UMA again - for at least a little while - I imagine we'll get PBR for UMA along with the challenger art, probably by early August ...? That's my guess.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. Teila

Teila

Thanks, Hopeful.

So, if you make the prefabs in linear and switch to linear will the darkness in the prefabs come back?

4. hopeful

hopeful

When I made prefabs in linear, the UMA I selected in the UMACrowd scene would turn black as soon as the prefab was made from it. If the prefab I made was then placed in a scene, it would be black. And if I switched to gamma, that prefab made in linear would still be black.

But when I made them in gamma, they looked fine. If I made them in gamma and then switched back to linear and put the prefabs in the scene, they looked fine.

It seemed consistent, but maybe I didn't test deeply enough ...?

If you need prefabs right away, try it yourself and see. If you don't need prefabs right away, maybe it won't be long before UnLogick makes the fix for linear space.

UnLogick and Teila like this.
  5. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hopeful, I believe you're right, the main problem in linear would be that the normals get's corrupted. There might be some saturation problems too, meaning that what you get in gamma doesn't match what you get in linear, but that's something you can compensate for when you make the recipe.

Teila likes this.
  6. UnLogick

UnLogick

@hopeful, @Teila, and we got a fix!

Select all your uma normal textures and find the texture import setting "Bypass sRGB sampling" and set it true. This tells Unity to treat it as a lookup texture rather than a texture that needs to be linear/gamma corrected.

twobob, hopeful and Teila like this.
  7. Teila

Teila

Thank you! :)

hopeful likes this.
  8. radiantboy

radiantboy

Anyone else having problems with the legs being crumpled, and no eyes? The legs dont matter as Im using my own controller but the eyes are pretty scary looking.

9. hopeful

hopeful

This is when you try to make a prefab? And you're on the latest version of Power Tools and UMA2?

10. UnLogick

UnLogick

@radiantboy, There seem to be a problem with the eyes when not using Expressions. They're rotated upwards giving you the white red border of the eye. I'll take a look at what caused this bug. (I'm pretty sure I added some funky code somewhere getting the Expressions to play to begin with.)

11. UnLogick

UnLogick

I was recently made aware of this plugin on the asset store. It promises a feature that many have been asking for exporting from Unity to FBX. I have not tried it and I don't know if it works, but I thought I should make you aware of this.

If you do try it, I would like to hear your feedback, good and bad. It's a bit pricey at $80 though.
    FBX Exporter 4 Unity on the Asset Store

I still haven't tried it but it only have a single 1 star review, so I'm guessing it didn't pan out. :(

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  12. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Hey Joen,

Thanks for the update to UMA 2, but any idea when the warnings will be fixed? There's 16 that appear every time I try to refresh/reload/save scripts.

power tools errors.png

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  13. calimando

calimando

Can you make more tutorial videos? I just bought the asset and have been fiddling around with it, it would awesome if there were some up to date videos to guide me.

Thank you!

14. twobob

twobob

You still supporting this?
    Seems like it would be worth a punt when my next budget comes around....

don't buy this

(0 of 0 found this review helpful)

just spent 87 Uros on something that has no Manual or instructions. at the same time I don't' actually know if this thing works because the UI doesn't make any since
    [sic].

Not a great 1st review

15. UnLogick

UnLogick

How can I support an asset store package that only has one review who is a very critic 1 star review?

I've had request for this functionality several times but as I stated above I never tried the actual package.

Edit: If you need the functionality I still encourage you to try it... I support it to the extent that the power tools create 100% compliant unity meshes and that tool works on unity meshes. So it really should work. However I have no idea how you get that other tool to work.

16. twobob

twobob

No, No. Are you still supporting Power Tools mate.

The other thing looks like a lemon as you say.

17. UnLogick

UnLogick

But of course, Power Tools 2 works with uma 2. I had to change a few features because uma changed. There is no longer need for a threaded generator, so I added LOD instead. The docs are far behind and might stay that way for a while, but the tools works fine and there are demo scenes... and I'll answer any question you have and fix any bugs that might pop up.

18. twobob

twobob

Ah cool. I will pick it up next round of funding mate. Few weeks prolly.

19. hopeful

hopeful

@UnLogick - I'm still having problems with the prefab generator. We're still waiting on a fix for the gamma - linear problem, right?

Also, we can't save a PBR prefab yet. Actually, it will save the albedo part of the male, but for some reason the female won't save to prefab at all. The normal and metallic textures don't save.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  20. UnLogick

UnLogick

@hopeful, what? You need to be more vocal if there is a problem. The prefab generator now only works in play mode, but other than that it should work 100%. Both Linear and Gamma, legacy and pbr, if that's not the case then I failed at testing them.

21. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe you forgot to publish the latest version of Power Tools to the store? The last update was July 10, which was before our discussions of linear-gamma problems, above. Also, I don't think we had PBR in UMA2 till August.

22. UnLogick

UnLogick

I've made a few adjustments to the lod system, but I haven't touched the prefab code since the release.

I expected everything to be in order, if that's not the case then I need to fix that asap. What kind of problems are you experiencing?

23. hopeful

hopeful

Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, of course, but what I see is that if I try to make a prefab of a PBR male, I get only the albedo texture saved to the prefab, no normal or metallic. If I try to make a prefab of a PBR female model, I always get an error and no prefab.

On top of that, there is still the linear-gamma issue, where attempting to make a prefab in linear mode blackens the model in the scene and this carries through to the diffuse or albedo texture of the prefab.

As a side note, using UMA2 I was also getting a linear-gamma issue when trying to work with saving and loading UMAs as assets. I used a PBR UMACrowd scene to generate a male and a female model, then saved them to asset, and when I loaded them into a different scene they had that linear mode "burnt" look.

24. hopeful

hopeful

Oh, and one more weird prefab thing ... I was unable to make a prefab from a character that I saved and then loaded as an asset. So with the scene in play mode and the the character generated and visible on the screen from asset, I was unable to make a prefab.

25. adventurefan

adventurefan

Bug report day! Haven't had time to do this until now but now I went over a fresh install of Power tools 2/ Uma 2/ and the PBR resource and I get many issues. This is on Win 7/Unity 5.1.2

On loading power tools to the project after the other stuff:

I can get past that deleting two of the scripts

But making prefabs is broken for both male and female.

Trying to make a female prefab I get this error:

IOException: G:\Users\Comp\Documents\UMApbr_sept4/Assets/Generated Character2__MainTex_Standard.png already exists
    System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName, Boolean overwrite) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:115)
    System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:86)
    UMA.PowerTools.PowerToolsRuntime.SaveCharacterPrefab (System.String assetFolder, System.String name, UMA.UMAData umaData) (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/PowerToolsRuntime.cs:73)
    UMA.PowerTools.UMASaveCharacters.SaveCharacterPrefab (System.String assetFolder, System.String name, UMA.UMAData umaData) (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/Editor/SaveCharactersPrefab.cs:51)
    UMA.PowerTools.UMASaveCharacters.SaveCharacterPrefabsMenuItem () (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/Editor/SaveCharactersPrefab.cs:39)

Trying to make a male one I get a whole different problem.
    It works, EXCEPT there's no normal map saved for it at all which makes it kinda useless.

And that's pretty much it. Shadows are looking funky/flickering a lot for some reason too but I assume that's not a UMA problem.

hopeful likes this.
  26. hopeful

hopeful

@adventurefan - What you're describing as "funky shadows" could be the "burnt" kind of look you get from running UMA in linear mode. UMA was originally made to run in gamma - as that's all indies had to work with a few months back, before U5 - and something somewhere needs to get adapted for us to use UMA in linear.

27. adventurefan

adventurefan

Well PBR shader is the solution to that, no? That part seems to work fine for me. The lighting issue that came up was more like flickering shadows but I'm pretty sure I track down whatever is doing that if I wanted to. It seems like a scene issue.

All I really need is the prefabs to generate though, which they are not. That's the important thing to me.

28. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought I was getting a darkening of my PBR UMAs under linear as well. That is, the male, when saved as a prefab. (Can't save a female prefab yet.)

29. adventurefan

adventurefan

I did see it looking weird due to no normal map being produced, which is definitely a bug. You're saying it gets texture color values wrong too? Not really sure on that but I'll look at it again later.

30. UnLogick

UnLogick

Thanks for the error reports, I'll get right on it.

Edit: Pbr bug confirmed, working on a fix.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  31. UnLogick

UnLogick

Now that I'm committed to an update I'll just add the show avatar in editor and finally call the power tools 2.x feature complete again.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    hopeful and adventurefan like this.
  32. UnLogick

UnLogick

UMA Power Tools 2.0.3.1 released
    • Fixed PBR problems.
    • Fixed prefab problems.
    • Reintroduced Show in Editor*
    *) Requires an unreleased UMA 2.0.4 or later.
    Until UMA 2.0.4 is released, you can apply this fix to UMA 2.0.3. In the file Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/TextureMerge.cs add the [ExecuteInEditMode] to the TextureMerge class.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    2. public class TextureMerge : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    This is required for the atlassing to work, if this attribute is missing the uma characters will be completely black when not in play mode.

Future plans:
    There is still some planned upgrades to the LOD setup.

hopeful likes this.
  33. adventurefan

adventurefan

Definitely works to save PBR prefabs for me, nice!

I do see one remaining issue though... the prefab normal map leaves seams on the top of the arm that don't appear in the regular UMA.

Other than that it seems 100% done to me

UnLogick likes this.
  34. UnLogick

UnLogick

@adventurefan, nice catch, seems to happen when I copy the render texture before saving as a png.

adventurefan likes this.
  35. hopeful

hopeful

With the new Power Tools there's also a problem generating a prefab if the Recipe Tool has been imported:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMA.RecipeTools.BinaryRecipeFloat.Save (UMA.UMARecipe umaRecipe, .UMAContext context) (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMARecipeTools/Scripts/BinaryRecipeFloat.cs:269)
    UMA.PowerTools.PowerToolsRuntime.SaveCharacterPrefab (System.String assetFolder, System.String name, UMA.UMAData umaData) (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/PowerToolsRuntime.cs:41)

UnLogick likes this.
  36. hopeful

hopeful

When trying (and failing) to create a prefab of an UMA previously saved as an asset then loaded into a scene:

UMA.PowerTools.PowerToolsRuntime.SaveCharacterPrefab (System.String assetFolder, System.String name, UMA.UMAData umaData) (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/PowerToolsRuntime.cs:35)
    UMA.PowerTools.PowerToolsRuntime.SaveCharacterPrefab (UMA.UMAData umaData, System.String prefabName) (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/PowerToolsRuntime.cs:132)

UnLogick likes this.
  37. UnLogick

UnLogick

@hopeful, I'll take a look at the Recipe Tool problem.

@hopeful, I'm not sure I understand your second bug report, please provide repro steps.
    Edit: I tried generating a prefab from the characters in the Scene02 - Serialized and that worked fine.
    What exactly are you trying to do?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  38. UnLogick

UnLogick

The problem came from Unity platform specific normals. Your source textures are marked normalmap and therefore Unity does it's normal processing. This means that the RenderTexture are also platform specific normals, and when we write that down to disk and mark it a normal map unity to process them AGAIN. If we do not mark them normal maps Unity will complain that you got normal textures assigned as normal maps and on top they may not work on all platforms.

My fix is adding a method to reverse the normal transformation to get a proper source normal map that Unity can then process. This may cause problems if you're on a platform that doesn't use the unity dxt normal format as my method might then mangle it beyond repair. If this happens I'll have to flag that platform and write a custom method to handle it. The plus side is that your prefabs will not be platform specific.

adventurefan likes this.
  39. UnLogick

UnLogick

UMA Power Tools 2.0.3.2 released
    • Fixed prefab normal maps.

UMA Power Tools 2.0.3.1 change log
    • Fixed PBR problems.
    • Fixed prefab problems.
    • Reintroduced Show in Editor*
    *) Requires an unreleased UMA 2.0.4 or later.
    Until UMA 2.0.4 is released, you can apply this fix to UMA 2.0.3. In the file Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/TextureMerge.cs add the [ExecuteInEditMode] to the TextureMerge class.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    2. public class TextureMerge : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    This is required for the atlassing to work, if this attribute is missing the uma characters will be completely black when not in play mode.

Future plans:
    There is still some planned upgrades to the LOD setup.

adventurefan likes this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

What I was doing was taking a crowd scene, selecting one of the UMAs and saving it as an asset, then putting that asset into the scene and trying to save it as a prefab. It wouldn't save to prefab and would put up that error noted above.

BUT ... I found out what the problem was. The asset that was saved by using UMA > Load and Save > etc. did not include an Animation Controller. Once I added one (Locomotion with Head, in this case), then I was able to save the asset to prefab. :)

41. UnLogick

UnLogick

@hopeful, sounds like I should add a check and make a proper error message. :)

hopeful likes this.
  42. tapticc

tapticc

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I want to create an UMA prefab for use with UFPS so I can add a ragdoll, point the UFPS scripts to UMA bones etc.

My query is if I create an UMA prefab, will I still be able to amend the character at runtime e.g. make the character fatter?

43. tapticc

tapticc

I took the plunge and bought it but getting errors after loading the demo scene "Updated Scene01 - crowd"

UnityEngine.UI.MaskUtilities.GetStencilDepth (UnityEngine.Transform transform, UnityEngine.Transform stopAfter) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/MaskUtilities.cs:73)
    UnityEngine.UI.MaskableGraphic.GetModifiedMaterial (UnityEngine.Material baseMaterial) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/MaskableGraphic.cs:71)
    UnityEngine.UI.Graphic.get_materialForRendering () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Graphic.cs:227)
    UnityEngine.UI.Graphic.UpdateMaterial () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Graphic.cs:327)
    UnityEngine.UI.Graphic.Rebuild (CanvasUpdate update) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Graphic.cs:311)
    UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdateRegistry.PerformUpdate () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/CanvasUpdateRegistry.cs:107)
    UnityEngine.UI.ScrollRect:LateUpdate()

I'm using Unity 5.2.0f3
    Any ideas please?

44. UnLogick

UnLogick

This error is well known in the uma thread, Unity 5.2 deprecated some old ui methods and caused this error. It affects all of uma and not just the power tools.

Obviously that is no excuse, since I was aware of this error and I haven't fixed it. I will fix it asap, sorry about the inconvenience.

Edit: It seems that I'll be able to fix this directly in uma and that will also fix problem for the power tools. Standby while we test and verify.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  45. tapticc

tapticc

OK no worries, can you answer the query about the prefab please, I am trying to figure out how to use UMA with UFPS and doesn't look like the prefab route will work after all

46. UnLogick

UnLogick

You can treat a power tools prefab as any other 3d model in Unity and as such it's exactly the same as integrating with any other 3d model!

I've been asked about UFPS before and I've actually taken a quick look at their documentation. The UFPS documentation has extensive instructions on how to integrate it with various character schemes and if you set up code to perform those steps at run-time in the the uma's CharacterCreated event it should even work for runtime created uma characters.

47. tapticc

tapticc

Thanks but I don't feel like it answered my original query:

"My query is if I create an UMA prefab, will I still be able to amend the character at runtime e.g. make the character fatter?"

I can get the prefab to work but can't modify the prefab as it is no longer an UMA.

48. UnLogick

UnLogick

That is the point of the prefab... if you want it to be uma you can just store it's recipe and build it... then you can edit it...
    why do you want a prefab?

49. UnLogick

UnLogick

Just realized you might want it as a prefab to hook up ufps... you should aim for the other approach write a bit of code that sets up ufps when the character is created instead of doing it by hand with a prefab.

50. tapticc

tapticc

Hi, I have UFPS working and the approach to changing the character model is to attach another model onto the main game object and then add 2 scripts, both of which point to the head and one of which points to the spine. As the UMA doesn't have these until after runtime I was looking at using prefabs. The UFPS works with the prefabs so that isn't the issue, the real issue is not being able to amend the prefab at runtime.

Thanks for the pointer to do it the other way around - add the UFPS elements to the UMA character instead. I fear I have purchased your asset in haste but happy to support your development :)