Search Unity

UMA Power Tools Support (v. 2.9)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnLogick, Jan 7, 2014.

1. JMab

JMab

Hi, what are the steps to display an avatar in the editor? Thanks

2. UnLogick

UnLogick

And it happened again, damn forum not sending me notifications... Apologies for the delay @Bantichai, @bashmuttons and @JMab.

If this happens to you don't hesitate to pm me! I aim to respond at least weekly!

3. UnLogick

UnLogick

There should be a button on the avatar component inspector, however that functionality is now being tested as part of the main uma package. So getting the latest version of uma from git should also give you this functionality and quite possibly in a more "native" way. I haven't tested it myself.

4. UnLogick

UnLogick

I'm afraid not, sorry.

5. UnLogick

UnLogick

Apologies for the wait, coincidentally you're also in the wrong forum thread. However I should have seen it here as well. For future reference the correct fbx exporter forum thread is
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...s-skinned-meshes-terrains-and-textures.434348

I took a look at the code in the callstack and found a missing null check. Please just delete FbxLODScheme.cs line 125 and you should be good to go.

6. Alic

Alic

Hey, the prefab tool seems to be working well. It's hard to know exactly what it should/shouldn't be capable of with no documentation, so I thought I'd ask here. I read through some earlier posts here about getting some form of the UMA expression player to work with baked prefabs, without needing to have UMA in the project. Is there currently a way to do this?

Also, one more question. And this will reveal my newness to UMA... UMA's skeleton doesn't support normal mechanim humanoid facial animations, right? Or does it? The baked prefabs don't seem to work with facial animations. What's the simplest setup people have for getting prefabs baked with these power tools to animate with some basic facial expressions? I can make my own eventually, but it would be great to have some quick ways of making characters emote for a project I'm working on.

Thanks guys!

7. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hello. I am wondering if this asset is still being supported, and if so, you could answer a few questions for me?

1) Is it possible to export UMA's to FBX using UMA Power Tools?

2) If so, does this process preserve animation data?

3) We are currently using Lip Sync Pro to generate lip sync animations for our UMA characters. If it is possible to export UMA's as an FBX using your plugin (and preserve animation data), would the lip sync animations we have also be preserved?

I understand #3 is probably a bit more complex of a question but any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time :)

8. UnLogick

UnLogick

1) UMA Power Tools does not include the functionality to write fbx files. But it should work in conjunction with any fbx exporter that works with Unity skinned meshes. If you don't care particularly about custom shaders you can also use my Unity Fbx Exporter directly without the Power Tools, however without the power tools prefab baking it can only give you the three PBR textures (diffuse, specular, normalmap). To get both custom textures and an fbx file you'd need both my tools, first bake the prefab with power tools and then export the prefab as an fbx without "texture export". That will just write the texture filenames instead of actually extracting them.

2) I don't believe there is any reliable fbx exporter that can export animations from Unity. I've seen a few attempts, but haven't found any that was more than just ascii fbx exporters that will play the animation and write down keyframes every damn frame. It's on my long term stretch goal for my exporter, but with two small kids and a day job I doubt I'll find time this decade.

3) As soon as you generate the lip sync animation as "Unity Animations" assets I would assume that you "just" needs an fbx exporter that can handle animations. There are many resources on how to make unity animation assets, so that part should be doable, as to export the animations into fbx, I just don't know a way.

9. saraks

saraks

Can't make the prefabs with latest uma 2.10.1 and with the latest uma power tools.

upload_2020-12-13_17-20-27.png

please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Currently I just add the UMA_DCS and UMADynamicCharacterAvatar to stage, set the DCA settings.

Press play and then from menu: UMA -> Power Tools -> Save Character Prefabs

It does create the prefab but as you can see from the image it doesn't take the female body with it

The "empty" prefab should represent the naked in her undies

10. TerranRich

TerranRich

Hello, I too cannot seem to generate UMA prefabs using Power Tools at all. This is my first time trying so I'm not sure if it's the UMA version (2.10.1) or not. This is all I get in the Scene window when I drag my prefab to a new scene:

I followed the video tutorial directions to the letter. Not sure what is going wrong here.

11. saraks

saraks

It seems that there are at least 2 cases with similar issues.

Any update how to get support for this? Personally bought the power tools just for the sake to be able to create prefabs

TerranRich likes this.
  12. klarkitgames

klarkitgames

Any idea when this will work with new UMA?

13. magique

magique

I've imported the latest UMA Power Tools with UMA 2.11.6 and I get the following compiler error:

Assets\UMA\Extensions\UMAPowerTools\Scripts\UMALODRecipeAvatar.cs(49,24): error CS0115: 'UMALODRecipeAvatar.Hide()': no suitable method found to override

I checked the code and the original function now has a parameter as follows:

bool DestroyRoot = true

I've adde that and it fixes it, but just wanted to let you know for your future reference or if anyone else encounters this.

14. magique

magique

I spoked too soon. Now I am getting all kinds of other errors as follows:

Assets\UMA\Extensions\UMAPowerTools\Scripts\SkinnedMeshCombinerRetargeting.cs(71,25): error CS1061: 'UMAMeshData' does not contain a definition for 'unityBoneWeights' and no accessible extension method 'unityBoneWeights' accepting a first argument of type 'UMAMeshData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\UMA\Extensions\UMAPowerTools\Scripts\SkinnedMeshCombinerRetargeting.cs(73,55): error CS0117: 'UMABoneWeight' does not contain a definition for 'Convert'

15. Admin_Friend_Factory

Admin_Friend_Factory

Hello. I am having no problem generating prefabs using UMA. However, when exporting prefab as a untiy package to another project, the charachers mesh seems to be completely wrong. I only imported the things generated when creating the prefab. Any idea what it might be? After and before pictures are posted here. Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 16.36.07.png Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 16.36.55.png Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 16.43.56.png

16. Jaimi

Jaimi

That looks like the bone weights settings may be wrong in the quality settings.

hopeful likes this.
  17. Admin_Friend_Factory

Admin_Friend_Factory

. Thanks! That fixed it :D

18. aquamarine1987

aquamarine1987

Hi, I'm getting an error "mesh is not readable" when trying to export a building from one of the asset packs. I use Unity 2018, slightly older version.
    Is it a known issue that I can solve somehow?

Code (CSharp):
    1. Fbx Exporter - Unable to export mesh SA_Bld_House_Growth_02, mesh is not readable.
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogErrorFormat(Object, String, Object[])
    3. UnLogickFactory.FbxExporter:Export(String, FbxExportSettings, Transform[]) (at Assets/Plugins/UnLogickFactory/FbxExporter/Scripts/FbxExporter.cs:202)
    4. UnLogickFactory.FbxExporterWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Plugins/UnLogickFactory/FbxExporter/Scripts/Editor/FbxExporterWindow.cs:275)
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    It's a scene from "Simple Apocalypse" package, I just select a building and thought I can export a single building along with its texture to FBX in order to use in another game engine.
    upload_2021-4-21_1-42-44.png

19. UnLogick

UnLogick

This is a Unity optimization preventing the exporter from reading the mesh, you need to select the model importer for the house and click the little "Read/Write Enabled" checkbox (Right next to the B circle) and hit the Apply button. Then it will export just fine.

Mark_01 likes this.
  20. Bantichai

Bantichai

@UnLogick Hey mate, will we be getting an update soon?

21. jcontr42

jcontr42

@UnLogick Was my post removed? I tried emailing in regards to a refund and posted on this forum before but I haven't received any response.

22. Vygar

Vygar

I've just purchased this asset and also seeing these errors. What is the work around for this problem?

23. magique

magique

From what I understand, Power Tools is no longer necessary because the features are built-in in the newer UMA.

twobob likes this.
  24. twobob

twobob

Hmmm. True this is. Buy it also I did. Sad are we...

hopeful likes this.
  25. corny_pops

corny_pops

Hi @UnLogick ,

Just chiming in with my import errors as well - same as the above. I was sent your way by the folks from the UMA Discord, so I'm hoping there's a way to use your asset! I see in the release notes that "source code for bone mesh reduction is not included", but is there a workaround to get this working?

twobob likes this.
  26. Honey55

Honey55

Thank you for the useful information provided.

27. Lucussu

Lucussu

could I can invoke your code to export fbx?