Search Unity

UMA Power Tools Support (v. 2.9)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnLogick, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Too late I just bought it to test out my affiliate discount coupon :p
    But I'll be happy to join the beta. I'm good at breaking thing... uhh.... yeah

Sharing coupon here if anyone is interested.

Hello everyone! I have a 10% off Coupon for Unity Asset Store to share - good only for on-sale items, one transaction per user -- but no limit to how many assets can be purchased in one transaction, so load up the cart!
    Total discount adds up to 60%
    Coupon Code: BF2019AFF10
    Starts: 11/27/19 00:00:00 PST
    Ends: 12/01/19 23:59:59 PST
    In case anyone has a loaded up cart but hasn't click on buy yet.
    It's a 1 time use coupon so make sure you have everything you want from this sale
    Do support me by clicking on my affiliate Link before you use the coupon. Thanks! :)
    https://assetstore.unity.com/?on_sale=true&orderBy=1&aid=1011l3NYR

2. UnLogick

UnLogick

Come to think of it, you could flip the issue upside down... add salsa first and generate prefab second... it sounded like the salsa guy just reads the stuff he needs from the uma stuff and then abandons it. I remove anything uma, but salsa would survive my purge.

3. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Is there anyway during a prefab export that we can can export the combined mesh separately when we create the prefab so that it can be run through some LOD tools?

4. Timspurgeon

Timspurgeon

Hello,

Not sure if this is ok but I wanted to post a video on How I use the Powertools.

Zypo, UnLogick, hopeful and 1 other person like this.
  5. Teila

Teila

Thanks!

6. UnLogick

UnLogick

Definitely ok!

And very illuminating, seems like I should make the built in remove components a bit more flexible... I saw hundreds of prefabs, if you remove rigidbody, colliders and events by hand each time... jeez...

I don't have a ton of time at my hands, between having small kids and working a full time job as lead in a game studio, but I spotted several low hanging fruits for improving your workflow. Honestly I'm a bit surprised that you've built a project of this size without building some helper tools yourself. Power Tools does have a very simple api that lets your scripts invoke it.

The first that comes to mind would be to take that character customization scene and add a Save Prefab button that then cleans up and prepares for the next character. That scene could store the selected save path and even contain a textfield for setting the name. So that everything could be handled directly there without navigating the project all the time.

If you got any other feature requests don't hesitate to put them up there. I'm maintaining power tools and making sure they continue to work with uma, however I'm not actively thinking up new ways to improve them. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to do so, just that I'm currently focused on other things, primarily fixing up my old (unreleased) uma pipeline tools for generating lod slots and making that work with the very exciting uma 2.10 release (big shoutout to @Jaimi for his huge efforts on this)

Mark_01, Jaimi, hopeful and 1 other person like this.
  7. Timspurgeon

Timspurgeon

Thank you. Your tool has really helped me out a lot!! I have a few tools I use that help my workflow run smoother.

8. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Tim.. is what you show on your video all as per PowerTools delivered or have you done any modifications to the scene or PowerTools?

I've been looking for something like this and just wondered if this is all "as delivered"

Regards

M

9. Teila

Teila

Tim is a user who made the video for other users who requested such a video.

The lists of armor and the armor shown in the video does not come with Powertools. His video is only about setting up the UMA to use as a mob.

If you use UMA, you can find the simple setup scene which is shown in the video. He has kindly added lots of text to this video to make it easy to do what you need to do to make it all work for you.

Not sure what you mean by as delivered..it is just showing you how to use this tool.

10. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Thanks Teila... okay my question was because it bore little relation to the official Tools videos... and i was wondering if what he was showing was achievable just with Power Tools, or whether he had built a custom implementation for power tools for himself..ie.. How I use.. etc. As to the armours etc, I have most, if not all the WillB and a lot of the Atavism ones, and I was also kindof indirectly asking if the power tools as illustrated by Tim, will auto populate that list down the side of the screen or again whether there was coding work to make that happen :)

11. UnLogick

UnLogick

I am assuming you're talking about the list of items you can equip, these are part of the wardrobe system. So if you create wardrobe recipes for them they will be available in that scene. This is not a power tools feature but rather a uma vanilla feature. Creating Wardrobe Recipes are fairly simple there is already a context menu built into uma to generate a wardrobe recipe from your selection.

On top I'm working on a new package named UMA Pipeline Tools that will automatically create slots, overlays and wardrobe recipes for fbx files and textures that is put into pipeline enabled folders. The pipeline tool is specifically targeting the new unreleased uma 2.10 that supports addressables.

Teila likes this.
  12. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Thank you :)

M

13. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Greetings.. okay bought, installed and having a lot of fun with this to set up my NPC's...

One question.. I am using 2019.3.0f6 and I have too many recipies to fit on the screen... I see there is a slide bar but it doesn't seem to be appearing for me, so I am loosing a lot of recepie options off the botom of the screen... Is there an easy fix for this please?

Regards

M

14. UnLogick

UnLogick

I assume we're talking about the uma wardrobe scene? I've honestly never really used it but I assume fixing it would be trivial, I'll ask in the uma slack for you. If you want a more hands on approach you can come join us at https://uma-community.slack.com/

Mark_01 likes this.
  15. Jaimi

Jaimi

I've fixed this in 2.10. To fix it yourself, remove the selection panel. Duplicate the first scrollview, and move it to the right. Then on "Samplecode", drag the content child object from the new scrollview to the "Wardrobe Panel" field.

Mark_01 and UnLogick like this.
  16. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Many Thanks

M

17. Bantichai

Bantichai

@UnLogick Will you be fixing the issue of the "Scene Bone Baking" not saving properly when in scene for the next update? I still can't export prefabs with baked bones due to this.

18. UnLogick

UnLogick

Thanks for the reminder... will do.

19. Bantichai

Bantichai

Thanks looking forward to it!

20. Timbecile76

Timbecile76

So I just got this to export prefabs as described in the video so I can use the model without UMA's overhead, but export prefab seems to be broken. It doesn't save a model prefab at all. Just saves a prefab with the UMA data.

Is that expected behavior? If so, I think I would like a refund

21. UnLogick

UnLogick

Definitely not, what version of Unity and what version of UMA are you using?

22. Timbecile76

Timbecile76

I'm using 2019.5 and UMA2 2.10

23. UnLogick

UnLogick

I will take a look later today and see if I can reproduce.

24. UnLogick

UnLogick

there don't seem to be a 2019.5 yet, so I can't test... are you missing a number there?

25. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

He probably means 2019.3.5f

BTW, I had this problem too a long time ago, in like 2019.1, and that was the last time I ever monkeyed with this. I never got prefabs to work. Hence, the 2 star review.

26. UnLogick

UnLogick

Oh really? I know I've tested 2019.1 and gotten it to work... anything else you can add? QualitySetting,
    HDR, UDR, or what not?

27. UnLogick

UnLogick

Fired up Unity 2019.3.12f1.
    Imported latest asset store UMA 2.10 and asset store power tools, there was some compiler errors related to UMAContext that should be changed into UMAContextBase, solving that in around 10 locations and then everything worked, I could export prefabs and textures was fine.

Obviously the ~10 locations that script needed to be updated means I'll be uploading a new power tools asap. It would be nice if any of you can pm me a repro case.

28. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

It was before your Nov 2019 release. It was sep 2019. I was using custom sliders to change poses, using standard Blender UMA model and standard Blender UMA skeleton. After about 3 hours of getting nothing from the prefab exporter, gave up, don't care, quit using UMA.

Ill use it again once I make my own prefab exporter that works..... ...actually, I am probably going to make my own character creator overall.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  29. UnLogick

UnLogick

As you're well aware of I usually respond to this forum within a decent time frame. You did write about your experiences back in September but there was nothing resembling a bug report in what you wrote. It seemed mostly like a complaint that I didn't put my own programmer art into the package but instead relied on UMA to begin with. Since UMA is free and my package wont even compile without UMA being present I'm not going to change that setup.

If you provide me with a proper repro case I'm confident I can figure out what the problem is. Without it I'm forced to resolve it into the "no repro/works for me" category.

30. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

You must have me confused with somebody else. I just wrote a 2-star review on the asset store that power tools did not work for me, all I wanted was prefab export, that did not work, and that I have no idea if I am doing anything wrong because the documentation is 5 years old, and not very detailed, and that is it. I never said anything about the art included. I don't care about all that.

I see now you respond often, but in the past, I saw you say many times in this thread you are going to do some documentation, but you never have.

How can I provide you with a proper repro case? Am I supposed to send you my entire character customization package? Plus, that was a long time ago. I am not working on character customization anymore, and probably will be making my own instead of UMA, because UMA unfortunately is not going to work for what I am doing. If I could get prefabs from it, it might, so I found power tools... and... I paid $50 because I was not confident in my own coding abilities at the time, and was hoping your asset would be worth $50. Times have changed, I trust my coding skills now, and I'd rather do it myself, then if I ever run into a problem or challenge, I will not be reliant on your coding.

I only wrote here to let you know the experience Timbecile76 has had with your asset is the exact same experience I had... ...A prefab with nothing but recipes inside.

I still may change that 2 star review in the future, as I do intend to eventually give it and UMA another go, as I spent 5 months with UMA, and knew it very well, before purchasing power tools, so to spend another 3 hours with a paid package that simply did not deliver but had videos like it was super easy, was disappointing to say the least.

$50 is a professional package price, for a tool that only does a few things, it should be properly documented, or you should be damn sure it actually works as advertised.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  31. UnLogick

UnLogick

I just looked at your review, and see I didn't even respond to it... apologies for that, for some reason asset store doesn't notify me about reviews at all, so I have to go in manually once in a while. I know I've done this since you posted yours so not sure how I missed yours.

I was referring to your posts in this thread back in September.

I am developing Power Tools in my spare time and as such I don't always have time to keep it up to date. The current release is aimed at 2.9 while the latest UMA is 2.10. I will release a 2.10 update soon. I do recall having a similar gap back when you had your unfortunate experience, so it might just have been that. I justify this by having a very tolerant refund policy. If there is a problem this forum is the perfect place to report it.

Your critique of my documentation is fair. Unfortunately I find it very tedious to write documentation, so I continuously postpone it for later. I find it much more interesting to actually help people fix a problem or work on my unreleased uma pipeline tools(a content pipeline, converting fbx to slots, textures to overlays and generating lod slots and overlays for you). That being said I recognize that it's long overdue and that I need to do something about it.

32. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

My posts said basically, "this isn't working for me... maybe because LOD's?"
    To which you replied, "It should work".
    And that was basically it. There was no help, and nothing was fixed.

I also said "It works if I use the scene "UMA power tools LOD" generated UMA, but not my own umas."

Meaning it works if I used UMA's from your sample scene, but my own UMA's for some reason didn't.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  33. UnLogick

UnLogick

Right, just re-read that and I guess I meant that if it worked correctly with uma it should work with my power tools. If you have any content/recipes that are working with uma but not working with power tools please pm me the content/recipe and I'll be happy to investigate it.

34. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

You should probably tell Timbecile76 that, and not me, I haven't touched UMA for 8 months now, although I would be interested to know what the problem was once you figure it out.

35. Bantichai

Bantichai

@UnLogick There was an issue in the past where UMAs after being converted to a prefab had their mouths open. For those of us that don't plan of using facial animation for those prefabs is there anyway to shut the mouth?

36. hopeful

hopeful

Characters with open mouths are the Unity mecanim default. It has nothing to do with UMA, or UMA Power Tools.

37. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

There's a script in uma that you can add to the character to close the mouth... but I can't for the life of me remember the name of that script. I also haven't used uma in some time so someone else might remember the name of that script better than I can.

38. Bantichai

Bantichai

I also remember there being a way where you could just delete the mouth bone in the avatar and that would shut the mouth but I don't think you can do that with an UMA?

39. UnLogick

UnLogick

Sure you can, uma has an asset called UMAAvatar which is created by extracting the data from a mecanim avatar. So first you edit your avatar setup as you want, then you extract an uma avatar from that, finally you reference the new UMAAvatar from your uma race. I believe this works for all sorts of mecanim avatar customization, even ranges, but I haven't actually tested that.

40. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

41. UnLogick

UnLogick

Thanks for the reminder, soon™

SickaGames1 likes this.
  42. leapp

leapp

Where I can find the Start Document?

43. berryhead

berryhead

hi I ran into this error after importing the asset.

Assets\UMA\Extensions\UMAPowerTools\Scripts\PowerToolsRuntime.cs(36,25): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'UMA.UMAContextBase' to 'UMA.UMAContext'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)

Any idea to fix it? Thanks!

44. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@UnLogick How soon is it?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  45. Bantichai

Bantichai

@UnLogick When the scene bone baking issue gets fixed, will it work with other UMA races like Will B's male/female base 2.0 or is it only the default UMA races?

I tested the older version of Power tools and when I use scene bone baking on Will B's female race 2.0 the arms get mangled.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  46. klarkitgames

klarkitgames

I am getting three errors using UMA 2.10 and Unity 2019.3.15f1
    1. UMAEditorAvatar.cs(57,14): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'UMA.UMAContextBase' to 'UMA.UMAContext'. An explicit conversion exists
    2. PowerToolsRuntime.cs(36,25): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'UMA.UMAContextBase' to 'UMA.UMAContext'. An explicit conversion exists
    3. UMALODManager.cs(18,35): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'UMA.UMAContextBase' to 'UMA.UMAContext'. An explicit conversion exists

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

In UMA 2.10, we centralized all access to the data through the context, and then wrote a special version of the context that skipped all the extra work and went straight to the library. This necessitated us creating a virtual base class, and then specific versions of the context in addition to the existing one. UMAContextBase is that new virtual base class.

You should be able to change the variable declarations for the variables used in those lines from UMAContext to UMAContextBase, and then it should all just work.

UnLogick-Factory and hopeful like this.
  48. klarkitgames

klarkitgames

Thank you very much!
    That did the trick.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  49. natsims

natsims

Dear UnLogick, thank you so much for (1) Power Tools! Well worth the $50. (2) Jaimi's tips on making it work for 2.10. I was panicking a bit but that did the trick, and all is happiness right now. Keep up the good work and stay well™.

50. UnLogick

UnLogick

"This soon™"

@Jaimi Thanks for dropping by doing support. Much appreciate it!

@klarkitgames, @natsims, new update on the asset store now, I did the stuff Jaimi mentioned, cleaned up the demo scene (using outdated uma assets), and fixed a couple of bugs.

Jaimi likes this.