Search Unity

UMA Power Tools Support (v. 2.9)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnLogick, Jan 7, 2014.

1. agentc0re

agentc0re

Is there a github for Power Tools?? I upgraded to UMA 2.1 and power tools isn't working. Recipe Tools are def. not working.

I assume the Asset store version isn't set to work with UMA 2.1???? Maybe there is a patch package that i could get?

**edit
    Found an older post saying to msg the dev to get the latest version. Did that, sent email and invoice #. Just a FYI for anyone else that may come across this.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. UnLogick

UnLogick

The version of the Power Tools are always directly linked with the version of uma. So when uma updates so does power tools, the asset store version of Power Tools matches the asset store version of UMA. Normally I will not support experiamental git branches, however in this case UMA 2.1 both stable and long overdue for a release.

I sent the Power Tools 2.1 beta to your mailbox, please note it is beta and not as tested as the final version. Please report any bugs in this forum with a clear notice that it's the 2.1 beta.

I've been informed about the problem with the Recipe Tools and I have set aside time to fix this in the last week of this year, the problem was reported as trivial so if you're adept at coding it should be possible to hack past the problem.

agentc0re likes this.
  3. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

Hello,
    I just purchased Power Tools.
    Do you think you could send me Power Tools 2.1 beta please?

Thanks!

4. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hi Katasteel
    Please pm me your email address and invoice id and I'll send the Power Tools 2.1 beta to your mail box.

5. Vortavasail

Vortavasail

is there saving and loading a runtime? without using the menu button.

6. UnLogick

UnLogick

I assume you mean saving of prefabs at runtime. Prefabs are a Unity construct that only works in the editor. So you can use it at runtime in the editor, but not runtime in a platform build.

7. Vortavasail

Vortavasail

no not saving a prefab i wanted to save in float format but i found out how to do it. so its fine

UnLogick likes this.
  8. UnLogick

UnLogick

Due to lack of sleep during my paternity leave I've asked @SecretAnorak to handle support for the remainder of the month.

He does have a direct chat line with me in case it's needed but for the last many months the only support I've been asked to do is hand out the 2.1 beta package. Please for the rest of the month post requests for beta package directly to him and remember to include order number and the email address where you want to receive the 2.1 beta package.

9. Jyrry

Jyrry

When it will be changed the version in the asset store to match the current version of UMA?

hopeful likes this.
  10. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Unlogick should be back in action in the next couple of weeks. I can imagine a store update will appear shortly after that.
    Until then, I can happily provide you with the latest beta if you drop me a PM with your order number.

11. psych77

psych77

Gonna try the beta now (thanks), i have not been able to get this to work at all. Each time after importing powertools i just get tons of error. Are there any tutorials around? Dunno what im doing wrong. First import UMA2 then powertools 2. And i get overswimmed with errors.

12. psych77

psych77

Installed the beta and get following errors:

Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/UMALODManager.cs(38,4): error CS0103: The name `Profiler' does not exist in the current context

13. UnLogick

UnLogick

I'm seeing some errors with the power tools 2.1 beta and the released uma 2.5.

I'm surprised at this since 2.5 was supposed to be a lot of new features stacked on top of the unreleased uma 2.1, without core changes.

14. Jyrry

Jyrry

Any news yet?

15. UnLogick

UnLogick

Sorry, it turns out having a baby is a major time sink... :confused:

Wont be long now.

TeagansDad likes this.
  16. Bantichai

Bantichai

Hi there,

I recently bought Uma Power Tools 2 but as I'm sure you know it isn't exactly compatible with UMA 2.5 and Unity 5.6.0 (What I'm currently using). I sent you an email but it makes sense now why you haven't replied haha.

My questions:

1. Do you have a rough time estimate of when the new update will take place?
    2. Do you plan to support Unity 5.6.0/5.6.1? I don't plan to upgrade to 2017 straight away, so if you released a version for Unity 5.6.0/5.6.1 first then released 2017 after, I would at least get the chance to download my preferred version first.
    3. How does Power Tools handle the skeleton after prefabs are saved. The one thing I noticed was that default UMA skeletons come across as very accurate, the one problem I've always had with Mecanim retargeting is with 2 handed weapons, when the two hands don't align properly when holding the shaft. Default UMA avatars were much more accurate when it came to the hand position, so this is a very important factor for me.

Hope to hear from you soon.

17. UnLogick

UnLogick

1. You can expect the new power tools release in two-three weeks.
    2. Yes, I plan to support all versions of Unity that UMA supports.
    3. The prefabs are saved with the mecanim avatar generated by uma, so that should be covered.

hopeful likes this.
  18. Bantichai

Bantichai

Thanks for the fast reply! That's great to hear that you are planning to support all versions. As I said, I don't plan to upgrade to 2017 anytime soon, so a 5.6.0/1 so that would be a godsend. Please disregard my email now that you have responded :)

19. UnLogick

UnLogick

Please don't send support emails... Unity required me to fill out an email address, but I get way too much spam and things get lost... it's not the first time I've failing to respond to emails entirely... for fast (and guaranteed) replies please use the forum either this thread or forum pm!

Edit: I'll look into how to set up an auto reply for the support email, telling people to use the forum.

20. Bantichai

Bantichai

Hey mate, how is the update going? Any eta?

21. UnLogick

UnLogick

Yeah, just about now, hopefully I'll be able to wrap it this weekend.

hopeful likes this.
  22. Bantichai

Bantichai

Great! Looking forward to it, thanks for all the hard work :)

hopeful likes this.
  23. Bantichai

Bantichai

How's progress coming along? :)

Vortavasail likes this.
  24. UnLogick

UnLogick

I really should learn not to hand out promises like that... I am still on it, but life has it's way of messing up my plans. :)

Vortavasail likes this.
  25. Bantichai

Bantichai

General rule in IT, multiple the estimated time by 2. All good, so long as you haven't abandoned it :p

Vortavasail likes this.
  26. Bantichai

Bantichai

I've noticed UMA just released 2.6.0 will this cause any major problems? Are you thinking of updating to 2.5 first or going straight to 2.6?

hopeful likes this.
  27. UnLogick

UnLogick

I plan to release a new update very soon! Let me just clarify the only part of Power Tools that isn't working with 2.5 is the bone baking. Trying to use bone baking will result in mangled models.

In total there are three outstanding issues on the Power Tools to do list.
    • Support 2.5 Bonebaking
      Somewhere between 2.1 and 2.5 power tools bone baking was broken, I need to identify and fix this issue.
    • Blendshapes 2.6
      Adding support for blendshapes is fairly trivial but might take some time.
    • Procedural textures 2.6
      Adding support for procedural textures might be easy or it might be hard, time will tell.
    The first issue must be resolved first, until that is resolved fixing the other two issues are meaningless.

I will probably release a 2.5 version first, it will work with 2.6 except for Blendshapes and Procedural textures. But I'm hoping I'll have all three issues wrapped up in the next two weeks.

28. Bantichai

Bantichai

Thanks for the fast reply and for all the hard work. Looking forward to getting this integrated into my own build. I just wanted to ask a question that I've asked before but I would like more clarification on.

I recall you saying that you would support multiple versions of Unity but how will you go about this? I'm still using 5.6.0 so I'm wondering how this would play out :)

29. UnLogick

UnLogick

It's quite simple the asset store allows me to upload multiple versions, so I upload a version at the lowest supported version of UMA which is Unity 5.3.7 and then I upload a version on Unity 2017.1, this tells the asset store that everything is good between those versions. Technically you'll get the 5.3.7 version and then Unity will upgrade for you in theory this could change a few lines of code but since my code has conditional compilation up to 2017.1 the code converter should leave everything in place.

30. Bantichai

Bantichai

Hello again, just wanted to see how the update is coming along, at this point I won't ask for an estimate just want to know how the update is coming along :)

31. UnLogick

UnLogick

I'm currently updating the demo scene. I shared a development build with a customer who had an urgent need last week. He gave it a thumbs up but reported a minor issue.

So we're definitely in the "Soon(tm)" department, if you have urgent need and don't need the demo scene you can contact me on pm.

hopeful likes this.
  32. Bantichai

Bantichai

I've sent you an email :)

33. UnLogick

UnLogick

Thanks for the heads up. A package should be in your mail box around now. :)

34. Bantichai

Bantichai

Thanks for that! For the majority it's working flawlessly, saving to prefabs is so streamlined and has finally allowed me to integrate UMA with my own project.:) I've sent you another email just detailing an error that I got. I'm not sure if it's from Power Tools or UMA itself, I just don't quite remember encountering it in the older builds of UMA.

hopeful likes this.
  35. UnLogick

UnLogick

Glad to hear it's working as expected.

The error is a pure uma slot not found, in my opinion the easiest way to solve issues like this is to clear your libraries (SlotLibrary and OverlayLibrary) and simply drag all content root folders from your project view into the box on the libraries' inspectors. That will recursively scan the folders and add all Slots/Overlays.

As for your other question I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to ask about the wardrobe system in DCS. I still prefer to use uma vanilla. I can invite you to the uma slack channel where there is always plenty people around who could answer this question though.

36. Bantichai

Bantichai

Thanks for the reply, my issues are more or less solved but I've got two more questions now :)

1. I'm noticing there is a reduction in quality between the saved prefabs and the UMA models in run-time. IE the chain-mail is quite blurry on the prefab/saved model. Are there any settings I am missing, I was hoping I could retain the quality in the save prefab.

2. Some of my models are saved with the standard (specular) material as opposed to just the standard material so it is a bit harder to reduce the "shiny/reflection" of the armor. Any tips on how to resolve this?

37. UnLogick

UnLogick

1. When I export the texture I also tell unity to generate mipmaps, this is done because people overall think it looks nicer. It certainly prevents the texture from becoming noisy in the distance, you can easily undo this by selecting the textures and unchecking the "Generate Mip Maps" option
    2. They are being saved with the exact material/shader/texture of the scene object. So this should not happen with the power tools, it would happen with my Unity Fbx Exporter due to the way it extract the textures from Unity's deferred render pipeline. The deferred pipeline always converts metallic into specular rgb, the only option here would be to attempt to convert them back... this is doable for metals, but you would loose some specular detail on materials that doesn't fit with the metallic workflow.

38. Ascensi

Ascensi

@UnLogick hey, just looking for an update on adding Voxeland/Megasplat support to see how things are working out and if you know yet if there is a time frame for an asset update - is everything coming along?

39. UnLogick

UnLogick

Heh, wrong thread Ascensi... that's related to my Unity Fbx Exporter. :)

As most people know my progress is slow these days and this weekend I've focused on getting the power tool it's much overdue update. I've submitted two uma pull requests that was pulled just minutes ago. So now I have no remaining things on my power tools release todo list and I believe I'm ready to release. I just need a new uma release with my latest fixes in it.

About your worldspace shader issue with the Fbx Texture Exporter I've verified the repro data that you sent me, I have the plan of attack that we discussed in pm and everything is ready for me to dive into it. I consider it likely that I'll be able to dive into it next weekend, depending on how that goes I might be able to deliver a quick and dirty hacked version, but the proper release of a user friendly update where you can toggle this on and off is certainly two weeks away.

TeagansDad, Ascensi and hopeful like this.
  40. Ascensi

Ascensi

Sorry about that! not sure how/why I ended up in this thread but I probably did a quick forum search and the exporter may have been mentioned as the title/result but in haste I didn't pay close attention to what thread this is. Thanks for the update though! appreciate it.

41. TheFoundation

TheFoundation

Nice to hear that there will be an update soon!
    I wasted quite some time updating the power tools to 2.5 myself (as far as I could). Can we expect a release within the next weeks?

42. Bantichai

Bantichai

You can ask UnLogick for a dev build if you are urgently in need like I was :)

43. Bantichai

Bantichai

I was also wondering, after the skeleton is created by power tools is there a way we can configure it? The problem I'm running into is with my custom animations the mouth is always open. I solved issues like that in the past by just deleting the mouth bone. Is it possible to do something like this so I can get around the issue with the mouth always being open?

44. UnLogick

UnLogick

UMA Power Tools 2.6.2
    I'm happy to finally announce Power Tools 2.6.2

Changelog:
    • Updated to work with uma 2.6.2
    • Fixed a serious show preview memory leak
    • Fixed a rotation bug that required an uma update
    • Fixed a tangent bug
    Missing Bone Baking features:
    • No Blendshape support
    • No Cloth support
    Thank you all for your patience.

45. UnLogick

UnLogick

If you remove the jaw from the uma tpose asset the jaw will be baked away by the bone baking mesh combiner. Any mecanim humanoid bone is automatically preserved, on top of that you can mark bones as animating on the slots to preserve them. Any bone that is not mecanim and not marked as animating is baked away.

This also means that if you add a weapon mount bone in your hand you need to mark that animating or the bone baking will remove it. ;)

hopeful likes this.
  46. Bantichai

Bantichai

Thanks for that logick! I've got another question, still getting used to UMA but I have noticed there is considerable slowdown in my project editor, IE when making one small change and saving it on a prefab in the scene or loading up another scene.

All I know is that I have both the latest UMA + Powertools and I've got 10 sets of UMA armor all added to the global library. Is the slowdown expected or is there something I can do about to speed it up? Prior to this combo, even with my project filled with all sorts of models I wasn't getting any slowdown, so I'm wondering if there were some settings I forgot to tick or purge.

47. MCLD3D

MCLD3D

I have a question about your Unity FBX Exporter asset on asset store, I tried a free fbx exporter but when I export a mesh with material which have gloss map, the gloss map is lost, only diffuse map and normal map are exported.

Is your Exporter support gloss/metal map when exporting a model to fbx?

48. UnLogick

UnLogick

My Fbx Exporter exports diffuse, pbr specular and normals from all standard lighting materials regardless of shader. Worldspace shaders like triplanar is not supported yet, but I will even add support for those.

49. Bantichai

Bantichai

Hi Unlogick,

Just wanted to echo my post again, I tried posting on the main uma forums seems like I'm not the only one.

Just a general question, I'm noticing that after importing UMA + Powertools, after coming out of runtime and doing something like saving the project, saving a scene or saving a prefab in a scene there is a 10-15 second slowdown. I tested the same project without UMA + Powertools and I didn't get the slowdown.

Am I missing everything here?

SrsDave:

Hi,
    I also have UMA plus powertools and seem to recieve a lot of slowdown especially when trying to view something containing a dyncamic character avatar- i was suspicious that perhaps the was an uma editor context being spawned and destroyed that may have been causing the issue but im unsure.
    I am also seeing other issues when trying to run the simple scene demo scene such as:
    "UnityException: Repaint is not allowed to be called during serialization, call it from OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'SlotDataAsset'.
    See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details."

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

Cheers,
    Kevin.

50. Bantichai

Bantichai

Also wanted to same, the slowdown only happens once. IE the first time I save on a prefab, or save the project after coming out of a scene. If I do the same thing again, it is much faster.