Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA Helper Pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kirbyrawr, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I saw that the last UMA have a bug, maybe the custom slots don't work properly, i'm talking to Joen for resolve this.

Sorry for the incoveniences.

2. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

So custom slots don't work? Is there a way to test art using this or do you just need to do it manually until this is resolved?

3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

If you want i can provide you with the appropiate script for uma, for use the custom slots till the update :)
    Let me know what you think, and sorry for the late support, i'm on the GameJam

4. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

That would be nice. I'm still waiting on this as well. Or at least some news on what the UMA team is doing to solve this, and when we can expect an update, if it's a UMA bug.

Thanks.

5. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Yeah if you can pm me the script I'd appreciate it.

6. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Perfect, give me half hour, and i'm truely sorry about the problems and the late replys i was in the gamejam and i barely slept.
    Sorry again!

7. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

8. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I just installed your replacement script, and tried adding the female long hair module as a custom slot/overlay again. All I did was load your demo scene, select female instead of male under the "General" tab, and dragged the FemaleLongHair01_Module to the drop area under "Custom>Female". I checked both "Slot" and "Overlay", and pressed "Play". The avatar didn't appear. Instead I got the following errors:

$UMAError.PNG

If I leave only "Slot" checked (the default option after dragging the long hair module to the drop box), an avatar appears, but it's all white. At this point, I need to reload the scene to get it to appear properly again. If I uncheck "Slot", and check "Overlay" instead, the avatar appears fine, but without the long hair. This at least makes sense, since without the slot, it won't even see the custom overlay. I haven't tried adding other types of custom overlays yet, but it looks like there's still a problem.

This all used to work fine with the original version of UMA Helper, but since the last few updates ( to UMA and UMA Helper), I have not been able to get it to work at all. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. If you know how to add the long hair module to a female avatar using UMA Helper, or any other custom overlays for that matter, could you post the proper procedure? I'm having no luck figuring it out on my own.

9. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

$shot_140127_165628.png

10. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

OK. Thanks Kirby. I saw from your picture that I hadn't actually populated the overlay field. I just assumed the drag-and-drop procedure took care of that. My test project still produced all white avatars afterward, so I got rid of it and started again from scratch. That, along with your procedure and script, finally produced a long haired avatar. I'm not sure what was messed up in my test rig, but recreating it and applying the new script fixed the problem.

I'm still left with two questions:

1. I still don't see a way to pick the hair color for the long hair module, when used in a custom slot. Am I missing something, or do I need to set the color somewhere else?

2. From a usability standpoint, if you're going to use a drag-and-drop procedure to add custom slots/overlays, shouldn't it add everything the feature needs, ie: Slot and Overlay, so there's no confusion about this? If a given asset slot requires an overlay to function properly, shouldn't the overlay be automatically added at the same time as the slot? As it is, you drag the long hair module to the slot, and the overlay remains blank. It's hard to tell that something else is even needed at this point, since not all slots require overlays, but even if you know, you need to use an entirely different procedure to populate the overlay field. If it isn't done automatically, shouldn't the workflow for both at least be consistent? Shouldn't you be able to populate the overlay using the same drag-and-drop method as the slot? I know I'm nitpicking at this point, but I really believe details like this would make UMA Helper a better and more user friendly product, so please take this as constructive criticism. ;)

If there's some UMA limitation that prevents you from providing either of these features, let me know, and I'll bring them up with Fernando and Joen instead. Thanks again for the help, and for putting up with my whining. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  11. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Don't worry and sorry for the overlay part, i can't do something for put both at the same time because if the name of the overlay is different i can't know : S , maybe i can do something for drag and drop two at the same time, but i don't know if it will work, maybe yes maybe not.

About the color picker, i putted it only in the default things, but in the next update i will put it in custom slots too, so don't worry ^^

About the slot and overlay part, that's uma not me, they wanted to put something for not use an overlay if you don't want but i don't know if they will get it into.

About the update maybe i will include a special awesome feature but i need to think it more :)

And don't worry about criticism or whining you are a customer and i need to take care of you and the others so i like your comments : D!

12. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I sort of remember Joen mentioning something about a metadata system for slots/overlays, that would let UMA know which overlays to use with which slots, and where the slots actually attach to the base meshes. I'm not sure if this feature will eventually be part of the base UMA project, or if they're waiting for a 3rd party to develop it. Is this what you mean? If so, I'll need to ask them where they are at with it.

Thanks for the info on the rest. I'll wait for the update.

13. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I can talk to him if you want, for ask it.

Perfect, i think i can have it for maximum one week, but i think it will be done in 2 days + 1 day of testing.

14. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Cool. You'll probably understand the answer better than I would anyway, and if they're waiting for someone else to do it, it could be an opportunity for you to do even more coding. ;)

15. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

16. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I just got 2.1b, and it seems OK so far. My only comment/suggestion is about the default physical values used to create new avatars in your Demo scene. Having them all set to zero results in a decidedly funny looking model:

$Standard values.PNG

I'm thinking something like 0.5 would be a better default value, allowing users to adjust them up or down as needed, or just leave them alone for an "average" looking model. Setting them all to zero by default means users either need to check the "Random Values" box first, or adjust nearly every single slider before they have a usable avatar - unless their game is to be populated entirely by thalidomide babies.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  17. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Okey i will make them 0.5 thanks for the suggestion sir ^^!

18. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

No problem, like I said, it was more an observation than anything else. Also, I just noticed that the default capsule collider is 2 units tall, regardless of how tall the actual character is. This is probably just normal UMA behavior, but I was thinking it would be nice if the collider had a way to "sense" how tall the finished character was, and adjust itself accordingly. I don't know how hard this would be to code, but it would be a really cool feature.

19. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I will take a look, but maybe i will add a compound colliders system, since i need it too :3

20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Okey i was very fast this time xD:
    $shot_140129_013451.png $shot_140129_013616.png

I'm going to submit the update in five minutes ;)!

EDIT: Submitted!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  21. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Kirby, you're amazing. When I think of all the really BAD software from big companies that I have to put up with, because they can't be bothered to listen to their user base, you and the other UMA developers are like a breath of fresh air. These forums are like talking directly to God. Only instead of taking it on faith that anyone's listening, I get an immediate answer, saying "You don't want rain when you go to the beach this weekend? No problem, I'll get on that right away", and by Saturday, there isn't a cloud in the sky. Bravo.

22. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks for your kind words sir, if you need anything more tell me, i have planned some things more but they will wait a little since i don't know if it's possible =)

23. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The update is now live!, enjoy!

24. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Thank you Kirby. Everything seems to work so far. I can finally get the female long hair to work properly, complete with color, so I'm really happy about that. :)

You should probably still talk to Joen about metadata tags on custom assets though. One thing I noticed is that if I add a slot that needs an overlay, and I forget to check the "Overlay" box, Unity will often lock up when I hit "Play", forcing me to use Task Manager to shut it down. There's got to be a way to ensure all required dependencies for a given custom slot get loaded and selected when the slot is added. I know this might be outside the scope of your Helper Pack, but it's going to be a big issue when using custom slots as more UMA assets are added.

25. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

You are using windows 8 right? it happens to me too with another errors, i can do something for check both checkbox's or stop playing when it's an error

26. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Windows 7 x64 and Unity 4.3.2 actually. What does checking both boxes do if the slot doesn't require an overlay? Will it cause other problems? I still think UMA needs a way to track which resources are needed for each added asset, so this isn't an issue. Having it kick you out of Play mode when serious errors are detected might be a good temporary fix until metadata is available though.

27. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Well actually slot need an overlay for work , well that's an Unity bug actually because it happens to me with other errors, but yeah i will add that thing.

28. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New video tutorial!

29. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Does this work with custom slots yet? If I drop in a custom slot with any overlay I get "ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary." no matter what it is called. Looking at the SlotLibrary I only see the one slot added and the one overlay.

If I go ahead and try to start the scene I get "IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range." on Rethrow as Exception: Exception in WorkerCoroutine: UMA.TextureProcessIndieCoroutine.

If I try to just a slot with no overlay I get this when starting the scene:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMAModels.DefineSlots () (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAHelpPack/Scripts/UMAModels.cs:541)
    UMAModels.GenerateOneUMA () (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAHelpPack/Scripts/UMAModels.cs:894)
    UMAModels.Update () (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAHelpPack/Scripts/UMAModels.cs:332)

Any ideas?

30. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Of course! As you can see in my video it's working but you need to apply a little fix and you need to have the latest version of UMA, (The fix is applied after UMA installation, actually the problem is from UMA but in the new version it will be resolved!).

Here is the package with the fix! : https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6awcn3at2gxcqj/Fix UMA.unitypackage

Sorry for the late late reply!

EDIT: Some users are with the same problems it's weird because i haven't those problems : S, right now i'm downloading the new version of unity for see if i can solve it.
    EDIT2: It's actually working for me, i'm going to see if i have any thing bad in the uploaded version of the store.
    EDIT3: All works perfectly, even with material builder if anyone find a problem please tell me! I can't reproduce this bug, so if anyone need help with some error tell me please!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  31. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Sent you a PM , if you reply i will read it tomorrow, please read my semi-last post for the info and sorry for the incoveniences.

IMPORTANT!: You need an overlay for the slot, everytime you put an slot you need the overlay of the slot, i will put an option for obligate to the user to do it, but if uma changes it doesn't need.
    Thanks KirbyRawr

32. adventurefan

adventurefan

I'm liking this so far. One thing I can't find is save/load recipe? Any way to do that?

33. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Actually you can't save/load recipe with this tool but maybe i can see if i can add it.
    Thanks for your words :)

34. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi, i just found an error in UMA Helper , it's now fixed and additionally i added a new script for rotate the camera inside the game with the keys you want:
    I will push it today if i see no more errors:
    $shot_140210_222537.png $shot_140210_222543.png $shot_140210_222552.png

35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Another more version pushed to Asset store and being reviewed the changes of those versions are this ones:
    Version 2.5
    -Lot of fixes in custom slots.
    -Automatic settings for default overlays and slots

Version 2.3
    -Added a Camera script for use it press 4 or 6 in keypad.
    -Fixed an important bug related to slots numbers.

36. adventurefan

adventurefan

Sounds nice. I was having a bug with not being able to add female custom slots after I removed one. Hopefully it's cleared up with the new versions!

37. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi, maybe it's because you have any empty slots in overlays or slots, or maybe is this bug.
    If you want i can provide you the new version.

38. adventurefan

adventurefan

Hmm well I got it partially working by setting "none" "none" from the asset browser in the only slot that was showing up.

But whatever I put in the slot/overlay, the color part then disappears and I can't add/remove more slot either.

This is what it was saying:

Unexpected top level layout group! Missing GUILayout.EndScrollView/EndVertical/EndHorizontal?
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,UMA.OverlayData].Add (Int32 key, UMA.OverlayData value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404)
    OverlayLibrary.AddOverlay (UMA.OverlayData overlay) (at Assets/UMA/Example/Scripts/OverlayLibrary.cs:64)
    UMAModelsEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAHelpPack/Editor/UMAModelsEditor.cs:754)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:850)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

So yeah I'd try the new version.

edit: Hmmm maybe what causes that is I tried to put model that already had a slot (femalelonghair01_module) into custom. But how do I use the hair extensions then?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  39. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Add me on Skype neo5icek , and i will tell you :)

40. sangocreator

sangocreator

Hi Kirby

You are doing an amazing job. On the other hand I am struggling ;) It seems that I cannot create a dress that covers torso and legs as it only renders one or the other (i.e. I can only render a skirt that starts below torso or a shirt that starts above legs. The model is made in Blender (see below)
    $UmaScreenprint2.png $UMA_Screenprint1.png
    and imports to unity indie but does not fully render on play. Should there be a seperate overlay combining legs and torso overlays. I'm a bit lost!!!

41. LaneFox

LaneFox

Overlay's are textures, Slots are models.

You need to skin that model on the uma mesh, then import it and use the material builder to make a slot and overlay for it, then use kirbys pack to put a custom slot and overlay on it.

All slots require an overlay, which is basically just a texture.

42. Glader

Glader

I am experiencing the same issue. I cannot seem to add anything as a custom slot without encountering that duplicate key error. Not sure why this is occurring, I happen to be interested in adding the model that he mentioned as well so I can demo hair model swaps at runtime.

43. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi sir you need to apply this fix, https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6awcn3at2gxcqj/Fix UMA.unitypackage
    If you have any more problems add me on Skype ^^!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  44. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi sir, first of all thanks!, you can do alt+s while in edit mode in blender for scale it a little up, so you can't see that thing over the clothes, or you can disable the underwear.

And as Lane said (thanks!), you need to skin it, and go to material builder, if you need add me to skype and i will show you ^^

45. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The update is finally live!
    Check it out ^^

46. sangocreator

sangocreator

Hi Kirby
    Many thanks for your recent help. This is where i have got so far. $LogDressFront.png $LogDressBack.png
    Do you have any tips for animating the skirt please?

47. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi, good dress you did! ^^
    What do you mean by animating skirt? , did you applied the weights right?
    If you need urgent answers go to Skype : D!

48. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Thanks for resolving my issues on Skype!

Small bug report. I had an issue where the script was crashing due to a missing overlay and I couldn't figure it out as all of my slots had overlays. When I looked at the UMAModels script in the debug inspector I could see an element of the Custom List that wasn't showing in the editor inspector script. It looks like it creates one more entry in that list / array then it displays in that editor inspector script. Somehow that one extra custom list element ended up with one of the slots I was trying to delete and I had no way to remove it. Easy enough to fix in the debug inspector but just wanted to let you know.

49. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Don't worry about the plus entry, maybe it's because you have something in slot library or overlay library that have null value, if you don't resolve it tell me :)

50. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Yeah I had a null value but not in the overlay library or slot library just in the inspetor script for UMAmodels. Once I could manually clear out the UMAModels custom list of the values it had everything started working. As a test try to add a bunch of custom slots, populate values, then rapidly delete, then add values again. I think you'll see the behavior.

Also, about 1/3rd of the time when I try to save out a character to a prefab it either crashes Unity or saves the prefab without an Animator Avatar (which means it can't be animated). I'm not sure if its a Power Tools problem or a Helper problem. Any idea on that?