Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA Helper Pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kirbyrawr, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi, i'm KirbyRawr from Overflowing Studios i created this plugin for those artist who don't want to dig in the code when they want to test slot or overlays for UMA

$shot_140129_013616.png $shot_140129_013451.png $shot_140118_180755.png $shot_140119_171419.png

Thanks. KirbyRawr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. goat

goat

Good job, Kirby.

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

You da man, dawg.

4. yung

yung

Does your script support hooking up custom rigs with UMA?

5. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

No, actually this is only for change the models, clothes etc... of the human male/female that comes with UMA Pack, for do that you need to create DNA Helper and more things, sorry :)

But i will take a look at it

6. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Added Overlays, and more things like Spawn point for single UMA.
    Now all is automatic you only need to have in the scene the UMA's Components, no need to drag an drop scripts to the script (LOL)
    $shot_140103_112018.png
    $shot_140103_121827.png

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  7. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The instructions are very simple, a kid can do it:
    - The artist create the model, for example a head, then he/she needs to create a slot for that model like this: $shot_140103_124042.png

-The final result for the slot data is this: $shot_140103_123539.png

-Then the artist only need to drag an drop to the slot list: $shot_140103_123648.png

-And in the UMA Helper Script change the name if it's not the same as default: $shot_140103_123722.png

-The final result is this one: $shot_140103_123755.png

Hope it's easy , maybe in the future i can make a script for make the slot data automatic.

Cheers!

8. hopeful

hopeful

Please be sure to cover the nuances of attaching new female hair, as I can see that being an immediate need.

Also, probably adding faces, ears, earrings, sunglasses, hats, and so on. For instance, do hat and hair need to be the same item? Or is there another way to add a hat so that it works with hair? Ditto for earrings, makeup, and so on.

EDIT: And what about having more than one color? Say you want the hair to have two different colors, or a shirt to have a design that is one color while the background is another?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  9. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The designs are done by the artists, so the hair with different colors is not part of this script, actually i'm not making models, i'm making a script for help to the artist or other people to test their models into UMA in short time and without dig in the code.
    The shirt design you are saying is make in the uv map of the texture and added in the overlay of the shirt, so it's easy for an artist to modify it.

The makeup is an overlay of the face.
    And the earrings the same they go in the ears slot.

I will see the hair and the hat you are saying, i think it can be resolved with only a simple attach to the head bone
    And for the hair of course i will add it don't worry :)
    I was thinking in add some blank slots or make an array for example if an artist want to put a necklace in the lower part of the leg.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  10. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Some updates:
    I organized the head parts in a new class for better organization.
    If face is selected head will be disabled or inverse, since they can't stay at the same time.
    If you select male and female checkbox, the female checkbox will be disabled for no errors.

Here is the new organization, i still need to put clothes etc.. so i hope for have it for Sunday but i don't know.
    $shot_140104_032029.png

11. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Moar updates:
    $shot_140104_234400.png $shot_140104_234512.png

For add more overlays like scars in the skin or other thing like tattoos etc.. i will add an editor or maybe some array for autoscript.

12. Archania

Archania

Very impressive. Keep it up. I can see UMA is going to be a nice point for a lot of people to expand on.

13. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks sir ^^.

14. Breyer

Breyer

I suggest to use CustomPropertyDrawer attribute for horizontal composition in slots array. It save a lot of space and array will be more readable if object field and toggle will be inline

Good work

15. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi Breyer, yes actually i'm focusing on doing the script itself without any custom editor, but i will add one when i release the pack, thanks for the suggestion :)

16. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Say hi to UMA Squarepants, wearing Boxers(Patent pending of Whippets) and his tatoo , that you can change using rects.
    $shot_140105_015853.png

17. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Added Female Slots and overlays, now working, next step today are the clothes and the custom slots, i think i can do it today :)
    $shot_140105_195352.png
    EDIT: Spotted a bug in the image, the hair is enabled but no hair added.

18. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Fixed : $shot_140105_201504.png

19. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Clothes Added!:
    $shot_140106_012712.png

I need to finish some things more, and i will move forward to the custom array for custom slots.

20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Customs slots added:
    $shot_140106_112159.png
    Now you don't need to dig into the code anymore.
    I'm going to do some documentation and upload it to the asset store at the price of 5$ for limited time.

Cheers!

21. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Updated OP and submitted to the Asset Store.

22. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Hi Kirby.

I just got your Helper Pack, along with Joen's Power Tools, and they're both great on their own, but I ran into a problem when using them together. I can customize and save an avatar from the Scene 1 (UMACrowd) demo, using the Power Tools' Save Character Prefab feature. Everything works fine, except I'm still stuck with whatever ridiculous clothing, hair or skin color it chooses (unless I keep hitting "Play" until I get the combination I want). So I try to use your pack to speed things up: I pick the options I want, hit "Play", and get exactly the character I'm looking for (OK, I still can't pick clothing colors, but that's OK for now). Everything looks great until I try to save. Now when I use the Save Character Prefab menu, all I get is an error:

ArgumentException: C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Unity\UMA/ is a directory
    System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName, Boolean overwrite) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:109)
    System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:86)
    UMA.PowerTools.UMASaveCharacters.SaveCharacterPrefab (System.String assetFolder, System.String name, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer myRenderer, System.String[] textureNameList, UnityEngine.GameObject umaRoot, UnityEngine.Avatar avatar) (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/Editor/SaveCharactersPrefab.cs:117)
    UMA.PowerTools.UMASaveCharacters.SaveCharacterPrefabsMenuItem () (at Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/Editor/SaveCharactersPrefab.cs:79)

This is repeatable. UMACrowd and the Scene 1 demo always works, and UMAModels in your Demo scene always fails when I try to save. Any thoughts? I know that since this involves two different add-on packs, the problem might originate with either, but since it seems likely that people will want to use them together, do you think you and Joen can work out between you what's causing this? It seems like one or the other of your scripts is making an assumption that's no longer true when the two of them are used together like this.

Also, is there a way to change the female hair? The check boxes all seem to work to turn features on or off, but what about substituting one feature for another? I tried substituting long hair for the default short hair your demo uses. I verified that "FemaleLongHair01" and "FemaleLongHair01_Module" are in both the Slot and Overly Libraries, and then changed the value for "Hair Female Name" under "Female Slots Body Parts", and "Female Overlays Body Parts" in UMAModels from "FemaleShortHair01" to "FemaleLongHair01". It looks like this should do the trick, but it doesn't. Is this not how this is supposed to work, or did I just miss a step somewhere?

Otherwise, thanks for the pack. It really makes things a lot easier.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  23. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi FargleBargle, thanks for the report i'm going to see it, and i will talk to Joen too about it.
    :)
    I can do a video if you want for speed up the things.

EDIT: i talked to Joen and he's trying to see what cause it , also i'm doing a video for explain how to change the hairs, clothes etc...
    EDIT2: Joen resolved the problem, but you need to check usePRO for work with it. The update will be in the asset store soon for his package.
    EDIT3: I'm doing the video and i will upload it as soon as i finish
    EDIT4: For the colors of the clothes i will update the script and put them, also i think the hair thing is a bug, i'm going to fix it.

24. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Fixed the hair, i just submit the update, i will try to get the colors on the clothes as soon i can, also i will upload the vid i did for the new people.

Cheers!

25. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Good to see it wasn't all just due to my ignorance, and that a solution is on its way. In the mean time, I'm still getting things done:

$Action_Hero.png

To put this in context, I REALLY SUCK at making rigged character models. What you see in the picture took a few hours using UMA and your and Joen's tools. It would have taken several weeks otherwise. Next step: finding him some boots!

26. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I always support every customer :) .
    Hahah, it's better than my clothes, my first try was a watch and it wasn't very good x'D , the model is getting better.
    I like to hear that you enjoy it!, if you have any more suggestions tell me

PD: I will have the clothes color thing for the next week or less :)

27. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Here is the promised tutorial

I post it in both threads, but i will post here the other things because it's still a work in progress, since i'm updating the tool

28. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Just downloaded and tried Joen's fix. Works great. Thanks to both of you for moving so quickly on this. Makes a person really appreciate this interweb thing. :cool:

29. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

You are welcome, i'm fast when i spot any bug xD

30. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi, i want let you know that the bugfixed update is now live on Asset Store, maybe you need to delete the umapack folder because now the folder is in UMA/Extensions/UMAHelpPack

Cheers!

31. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Hi Kirby.

I just installed your new version, and still have a problem substituting long hair for short hair. Just to be clear, here's a picture of the results when I try to substitute it in the "Slots Body Parts" and "Overlay Body Parts" sections of UMAModels:

$UMAHelper_Sample.png

I can solve this by adding long hair under "Custom Mesh and Clothes", and unchecking Hair under "Slots Body Parts", but then I don't get to use the hair color picker. I can find other ways to color the hair of course, but shouldn't I be able to do a simple substitution the way I showed in the picture? Why else expose all of those values in the Editor if you can't actually change them?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all my questions.

32. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Sorry for the late reply, i sleep a lot haha.
    I'm going to see if i submit the right file to the asset store.
    PD: I put an update for getting rid of numbers in custom slots, now it's automatic

33. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Okey i fixed it, thanks i just submit the update:
    $shot_140111_145448.png

34. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Hi Kirby.

I see from the picture you posted that your solution still requires putting the long hair under "custom meshes and clothes". Your picture also shows the problem with doing that: the hair on top can be colored with the hair color modifier, but the long hair, when used as a custom mesh, isn't affected. This means she either gets white hair, or some emo two-tone look. I was hoping for a solution that used the default female hair slot and overlay, so that the long hair extension color would match the rest, or better yet a separate hair color picker for the long hair, like what you use for the 2 part male beards. Any chance of something like that being included, maybe when you release the clothing color pickers?

BTW, I just did a fresh install from the asset store, and the automatic numbering of custom meshes isn't happening yet. Has your update gone through?

Thanks again for all the great support.

35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

No, actually the update didn't arrive, i'm planning to get some more features to this script, so tell me if you have any suggestions.
    For the hair, the hair have two models, the tails and the hair itself, so for put two hairs you need to put the tails in the custom slot.

36. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Right. I'm starting to get that. I don't have a problem with doing it that way as long as I have a way to color it. That's why I asked about the beards. Again, they use 2 models, but you can color both of them independently. Why can't hair be handled the same way? As for suggestions, if you're planning to add color controls for clothing, how about doing the same for custom meshes? That would solve this problem nicely.

Thanks again.

37. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Of course i will add colors for every thing! haha, sorry if you didn't understand me.

38. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Great. No hurry. I still have a lot to learn about UMA before starting to produce finished products with it, so take the time, and get it right, and maybe I'll finally be ready to use it for real by the time you do.

Thanks.

39. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Don't worry, i actually enjoy making code haha :)

40. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi, i just want to let to know that i'm improving this asset as fast as i can:
    $shot_140113_022811.png
    Here is a small preview of what can you expect in the next update, if you press the object, the object will be selected in the project.

41. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Wow. Boots are exactly what I'm starting to work on now. This should make the whole process of adding clothing a lot clearer. Thanks.

42. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

Thanks Kirby for this great asset. It makes UMA a lot more accessible for designers and artists. I'm trying to get sliders to work but can't get them to show up on screen. I added the SliderModule prefab in UMACustomization. Can you use the sliders with UMAHelper??

43. LaneFox

LaneFox

That's looking good! Nice work :)

44. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I will add sliders for you in the script don't worry :)

45. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hahah, awesome, now you can see the textures and the assets in uma helper script, i will add more graphics and things.

Thanks Lane!, Kudos for your test boots! : D!, thanks again.

46. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

Awsome! :D you're the best!

47. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I'm not the best haha.
    I only want to support the people who bought this :)

48. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I just checked my copy of UMA Helper, and the Demo scene includes UMACustomization already, but it's turned off by default. All I did was activate it in Inspector, and I had all of the usual sliders that are available in the standard UMA demo scenes. Unless you're talking about adding new custom sliders, or building your own subset? Anyway, they should work right out of the box from what I've seen. Since it's part of the core UMA package, all you should need to do is add the UMACustomization prefab to a scene to have access to it if it isn't there already.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  49. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Fargle is right, but i will get the sliders into the script too :)

50. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

I checked the demo scene and yes it has a customization gameobject, and the script is enabled but nothing happens.