Search Unity

UMA Authentic historical knight packs

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by arteria, Nov 29, 2017.

1. arteria

arteria

Thank you for all the support. Yep, lifetime membership is a great offer if you want access to all content for just one price you would pay now
    This year There are over 150 further UMA costumes for release thus far too

2. runningbird

runningbird

I will say after knowing Steve for almost a decade the lifetime membership is amazing!
    I wouldn't be a game dev without Arteria3d's assets.
    Also check the music out it is amazing!

TeagansDad, arteria and Bantichai like this.
  3. arteria

arteria

I really appreciate that, thank you

4. Well, looks like Steve is a very good business man and very respectable artist. We've been talking in private and he was able to convince me to give his assets a spin even if they're outside of UAS. So I have been seduced. ;) Will check out my new toys (the knight male pack) tomorrow.

arteria likes this.
  5. arteria

arteria

Thank you, it was a pleasure speakling with you and giving background on Arteria3d. Hope you enjoy the pack

6. Bantichai

Bantichai

Glad to have you on board, as I said I was initially skeptical too but Steve convinced me. He's now doing custom work for me and he always delivers. You won't be disappointed with the quality especially if you are aiming for armors that are more realistic. Whilst his earlier sets were still great, after working with him for 6 months he really has mastered his craft!

7. arteria

arteria

Your very kind

8. arteria

arteria

New Release - Spartan Warrior

Today, we release the 'Spartan Warrior' for UMA 2.5 and above. Deatures full DCS, wardrobe files and is also compatible with our OBM Knight Pack for inter modular costume changes.

Purchase today only for $19.99 which also includes the Roman Soldier for UMA, today only

All promo pictures taking in Unity, ive just added a single colour background to the camera instead of showing the usual skybox.

Purchase Page
    https://arteria3d.myshopify.com/products/spartan-warrior

9. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Excellent. A historically accurate looking Spartan as opposed to the underwear models we saw in the movie 300.

arteria likes this.
  10. kenamis

kenamis

Except for the sword and arguably the chest armor ;)

11. Bantichai

Bantichai

Another awesome set Steve, I myself was curious as to whether or not we'd be getting men in underwear + a cape, but I'm glad there are some actual armor pieces. The plume has come out really nicely Steve!

arteria likes this.
  12. arteria

arteria

I’ve just realised....I forgot to add the Shin Armour!!!! This is included in the pack, Will have to update the pics tomorrow

Bantichai likes this.
  13. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Actually the sword is pretty acurate. It's a Spartan Kopis from what I can tell.

arteria likes this.
  14. Bantichai

Bantichai

That will complete the set perfectly then :)

arteria likes this.
  15. kenamis

kenamis

It's accurate in the sense that is resembles the sword of Leonidas in the movie 300, but it is definitely not "historically accurate" There were some real swords similar to it but nothing like it ever existed.

Edit: I'm not implying Steve's sword is bad, just disputing the historical accuracy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  16. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

17. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

There's a lot of argument about swords in that period, and mostly because very few ( if any) examples still exist that can be confirmed to be actual fighting weapons rather than just weapons built for display in high class homes.

What is known is that swords were a secondary weapon, with spears being the primary, and that swords were an extension of the Greek/Spartan martial art of Pankration.

The main Greek sword was the Kopis, again, very few exist but images do appear in greek art and some are similar to that modelled by Steve. Although there were various versions, some curved, some straight.. however, it is believed the Spartans tended to use the Lakonian sword (Lakonian meaning Spartan) which was a Xiphos.. although again, none remain today, the art would tend to suggest this.

The Lakonian was a short sword, as befits a secondary weapon and looked like this :-
    Xiphos.png

which if you take away all the antiquity probably looked like this..
    Xiphos 2.jpg

Now the good old Kopis looks a bit like this..
    greek-kopis-sword.jpg

Which if you take away all the rust and wear probably looked like...

Kopis2.jpg

Now. having said all that, it is well known that Kings and fabled fighters all had their own variations of swords to suit their own style or used weapons captured in battle, so unless someone can pop back a few thousand years and take some pics.. no-one is really going to know :)

There's also the issue of whether a soldier had a weapon issued by an armoury or brought their own with them.. again, that could easily change things.

Man this is an area that even the experts argue about, so I don't think a game character is going to change things too much in the overall scheme of things :)

M

arteria likes this.
  18. kenamis

kenamis

As far as I know, pankration was an empty-handed sport.

A Lacedaemonian isn't necessarily a Spartan. Spartan is a subset of Lacedaemonian. Lacedaemonia is a region, Sparta is a city.

19. arteria

arteria

I love the way my set has started a very interesting history lesson! Thanks for all support

kenamis likes this.
  20. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Hence the sword being an extension.

Agreed, but Sparta was the administrative capital of Lacedaemonia. The ancient name for Sparta was Greek: Λακεδαίμων or Lacedeamon from the name of the mythical king who founded the region. So a Laconian/Lakonian sword was a sword from Sparta.

M

21. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

LOL well that implies that you are venturing where many historical scholars fear to tread because of all the disputes which means good things for you :)

M

arteria likes this.
  22. arteria

arteria

Wow.. never expected this debate! Very interesting. Ill post pics later with the shin armour. A lot of imagery shows Spartans with spears too, with their shields - would this be correct?

23. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Absolutely.. the Spartan primary weapon was the spear.. the sword was only used when the spear broke or got lost.. most of the fighting was spear aver the top of shield.

From a contemporary observer who's name is lost in history :-

Spartans preferred the use of spears, called doru, which had a spearhead at one end and a spike at the other. Each soldier also carried a short sword, called a xiphos, which had a slightly curved blade and helped Spartans fight in close combat situations. Unlike many other Greek city-states, Spartan xiphos were about 25% shorter, giving them more flexibility and success in their phalanx formations. A different type of sword, a kopis, was used by some Spartans, and this particularly brutal, short sword was employed for hacking violently and quickly at enemies.

Most Greek city-states utilized the phalanx formation, which consisted of an undefined group of men in a tight, rectangular formation, and covered thoroughly with large shields on every side.These phalanxes would work as a cohesive group, where spear-wielders would position their spears over the tight line of large shields, making forward assaults on the formation very deadly. If any man in the phalanx line fell, he would be immediately replaced by another from behind.

M

24. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Here ya go Steve.... the doru..

spartan-weapons.jpg

The rear of the spear was capped with a spike called a sauroter, Greek for "lizard killer". It functionally served as a counter-weight to give balance. This spike had several uses. It could be used to stand the spear up or used as a secondary weapon if the spearhead was broken off. If the shaft of the doru was broken or if the iron point was lost, the remaining portion could still function. Though its combat range would be reduced, the doru's complete length would have lessened the chance of a single break rendering it ineffective. Additionally, any enemies that had fallen could be dispatched by the warriors marching over them in the back ranks of the phalanx who were holding their spears in a vertical position.

M

25. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Yep, I think the blade is reasonable. Likely that Steve used the movie as a reference but if so, that's fine since it's a) a believably functional weapon and b) not too far off from what designs we have seen in the archaeology. Just as there are loads of variations in existing weaponry, it's safe to assume that there were other designs and styles in use that were close to what we see in preserved specimens but not exact.

Steve, I would recommend adding a spear as well at some point but no big deal. There are plenty of spears available elsewhere.

26. kenamis

kenamis

But it's not. That's like saying boxing or karate or MMA is an extension of sword fighting. Sure, they'd help if you were disarmed, but they have nothing else to do with sword fighting. Hence they are not an extension of swords or swords being an extension of pankration.
    You agreed, but then make the same errors again. First, the ancient name for Sparta (we're talking about the city and it's inhabitants) is not Lacedeamon. You may be mixing that up with the name of the city-state (Lacedeamon), not to be confused with the city itself. It's an important distinction because Laconians who were not Spartan had no say in foreign affairs, could not hold political office or have a say in state decisions. More to the point, a Laconian sword was a sword from Lacedaemonia, and not necessarily from Sparta.

27. arteria

arteria

My love of history is where Arteria was born from. As a kid, I was obsessed with drawing Romans and Crusader knights!, so its with great joy that I am able to create these very costumes in 3d, for you all to enjoy! Ive loved every minute reading the facts that you have all presented. Amazing input! Thanks

28. Bantichai

Bantichai

Steve's love of history has also resonated with me which is why we work really well together on my own custom sets. I've always been fascinated with the past since I was a kid but at the same time the problem with history is that it is often disputed :p

So for my own sets, I told Steve that I wanted historically inspired armor instead of historically accurate. I think that is more or less the best path to tread, somewhere in the middle as there will always be someone somewhere to dispute your claims but it also gives the artist a little bit more freedom.

Really looking forward to what we'll do with my own armor inspired by the Greeks and Romans Steve :D

arteria likes this.
  29. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

I'm not going to distract Steve's thread any longer, but I will say that in Both cases, you are disagreeing with Homer and Heradotus and Thucydides.

Remember that Laconia / Lakonia / Lacedeamon were originally Sparta (both the town and the Area (according to Homer) and expanded under spartan conquest to form a much bigger area containing Sparta and Messinia when the names diverged.

As to Pankration.. According to Homer and Heradotus:- Pankration was a deadly ancient Greek martial art that is still in practice today. (Similar to modern day mixed martial arts my addition)

-- back to Homer's description... Pankration combines boxing, wrestling, kicking, joint-manipulation, choke holds and submission techniques in a very violent form of fighting. The Spartans excelled in this type of hand-to-hand combat and extended the art to additionally allow short swords in order to train their phalanxes for hand to hand combat when the doru were expended.

Anyway, sorry Steve for the distraction.. I need to get back to installing some armour sets :)

M

arteria likes this.
  30. arteria

arteria

New pic below - this time showing the Shin armour that is in the pack!

Rajmahal, runningbird and TonyLi like this.
  31. TonyLi

TonyLi

Looks great! The shin armour really fills out the outfit.

I think we may need to do some weapon packs in the future, too, such as javelins, axes, etc -- or lances, maces, and the like for the medieval warriors. More toys for these great-looking models to play with. :)

runningbird and arteria like this.
  32. arteria

arteria

Yeah, that’s a great idea

33. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

I agree with everyone, this is really some awesome uma content! Great work!!!

Spartan not uploaded to download section yet at arteria3d? :)

And yea weapon pack would be awesome!

arteria likes this.
  34. arteria

arteria

I’m uploading a new versions right now, with the shin armour in

Ramsdal likes this.
  35. arteria

arteria

Finished Uploading, the Spartan is now available for Arteria3d members.

Ramsdal likes this.
  36. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Awesome thanks, also did a small donation - i do not use the models yet, but I hope to. And i like the quality of these new uma models a lot - great work! :)

arteria likes this.
  37. arteria

arteria

That is very kind of you - thank you. Really glad you like the new models. Gives me great inspiration and drive for lots more!

Ramsdal likes this.
  38. kenamis

kenamis

Yes, please privately message me to debate instead of trying to disprove me on the forums.

Nope, I feel like you read wikipedia and failed to read the entire section.

The ancient Greeks used one of three words to refer to the home location of the Spartans. The first refers primarily to the main cluster of settlements in the valley of the Eurotas River: Sparta.[16] The second word was Lacedaemon (Λακεδαίμων);[17] this was also used sometimes as an adjective and is the name commonly used in the works of Homer and the historians Herodotus and Thucydides. Herodotus seems to denote by it the Mycenaean Greekcitadel at Therapne, in contrast to the lower town of Sparta. It could be used synonymously with Sparta, but typically it was not. It denoted the terrain on which Sparta was situated.[18] In Homer it is typically combined with epithets of the countryside: wide, lovely, shining and most often hollow and broken (full of ravines).[19] The hollow suggests the Eurotas Valley. Sparta on the other hand is the country of lovely women, a people epithet.
    I went through Herodotus' The History and I see approximately 20-30 instances of "Lacedaemon" almost always referring to a region (from the context) or the state, but many of the city "Sparta" and "Lacedaemonian" for the people of the state.

Pretty much the nail in the coffin for your argument, The Histories of Herodotus, book 7: 234 Translated by George Rawlinson
    "O king!" replied the other, "the whole number of the Lacedaemonians is very great; and many are the cities which they inhabit. But I will tell thee what thou really wishest to learn. There is a town of Lacedaemon called Sparta, which contains within it about eight thousand full-grown men. They are, one and all, equal to those who have fought here. The other Lacedaemonians are brave men, but not such warriors as these."

I think you are trying to create a debate where there is none. All I did was clarified your original use. It is almost universally accepted that Laconian does not exactly mean Spartan, especially after the rise of Spartan dominance and not the unverifiable mythological founding of the city (that itself is disputed among scholars). If you want to argue it's Laconian meaning Spartan (the state), then there's no question, they were used synonymously, but you brought the city name in as proof for your original statement.

Homer's works do not include anything on pankration.
    I think you're muddling the point of your original statement I disputed.

"...and that swords were an extension of the Greek/Spartan martial art of Pankration."
    That's misleading. If at all, pankration would have been supplemental to armed training, but foremost it was an empty handed sport to the majority of ancient Greece.

39. hopeful

hopeful

I agree, the debate is not for this thread, but it did spur me to do some light research on pankration, Homer, and the term "laconic." ;)

Ramsdal, kenamis and arteria like this.
  40. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Interesting response considering our chat a couple of nights ago on Slack.
    Have a great day.

M

41. kenamis

kenamis

Yep, I waited two days for you to edit or retract your false statements, which you never did.

42. Fortitude3D

Fortitude3D

incredible how much effort you put in, good work!

arteria likes this.
  43. arteria

arteria

Very kind of you, I put a lot of hours in and feel very lucky I can do this as my full time job. Its very rewarding that people like the sets

hopeful likes this.
  44. Bantichai

Bantichai

I'll keep saying it, but I really recommend anyone who is interested in Steve's work to consider getting a year or lifetime subscription. Steve is one of the most dedicated artists I know, his prices are also very fair. If you look at the other UMA assets or even just regular models on the asset store, Steve has them beat on pricing and quality. $19 for the Spartan Warrior at that quality..is more or less theft.

The more we support Steve, ultimately the more we get out of the subscriptions, because Steve has more time to dedicate towards modelling. Once again, if anyone is hesitant about operating outside of the UAS, don't be.

Steve does my own custom models for my own game and he was willing to completely redo 2 chest pieces, so it really goes to show :D

Here's some custom sets that Steve did for me:

2. Mercenary Set.jpg
    1. Mercenary Set.jpg
    3. Mercenary Set.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    runningbird and treshold like this.
  45. arteria

arteria

Thank you, appreciate all the support and I'm pleased you like the custom work ive been doing. Also, We have approx. 150 releases for UMA this year, so its going to be a fun packed year.
    Thankyou to the helpful UMA team too, for all your help.

treshold, gman and hopeful like this.
  46. kenamis

kenamis

Sounds awesome, would it be possible to see a list of the planned releases and/or a schedule?

47. Bantichai

Bantichai

I spoke to Steve and he told me: Victorian era pack first, fantasy elements pack, medieval town clothing pack and sci-fi pack later in the year. Does that sound about right Steve?

kenamis likes this.
  48. arteria

arteria

other packs include a Viking Townsman clothing pack which will actually be released first, like a medieval clothing modular pack but geared towards the Viking style, to attire yours townspeople with Viking inspired day to day clothing

treshold and kenamis like this.
  49. Bantichai

Bantichai

Well that is even better!

arteria likes this.
  50. arteria

arteria

Thanks, the Viking clothing set will be released Monday/Tuesday

Bantichai, runningbird and Jaimi like this.