Search Unity

Uma and Mixamo animations

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by erlichguy, Mar 18, 2019.

1. erlichguy

erlichguy

Hey guys,

A bit of a noob. Perhaps a stupid question.
    I’ve been messing with the uma character creation asset and I’m loving it.
    Now I want to add some animations - other than idle or walk which are the default.
    I’m used to getting animations from adobe mixamo.
    Now, for a regular humanoid character, I used to upload my model to mixamo and download the appropriate animation with skin which worked perfect, but there is no model for uma. Right?
    I tried to just download an animation without skin, and adding it to the locomotion controller of uma, but it looks weird, like not all bones are mapped correctly- e.g. hands inverted and wrong pose.
    Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong? Is there any trick to doing this that I’m missing? Or it’s simply that uma doesn’t work with mixamo?
    Anywhere else I can get cool animations that do work with uma?

Thanks

omar4531 and Yunis like this.
  2. Yunis

Yunis

Same here...
    Would love to make them both work together!

3. hopeful

hopeful

Best to ask about this in the UMA thread.

But basically, two things I could say right off the bat: 1) Mixamo creates FBX for Unity animations that work with mecanim, so they should work with UMA, and 2) it seems you should be able to use the base male or female UMA FBX in the Mixamo animator.

4. Yunis

Yunis

I've finally found how to make it work. I'll definitely need to ensure the right process now, and yes thanks @hopeful the UMA thread will be the right place to ask.

So @erlichguy I give you the hint of how I proceeded:
    1. Download the github repository of the UMA steering group, named content-pack (here: https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/content-pack)
    2. Inside, you will find the directory content-pack/ContentPack_2.7.0.0/Mixamo/, there are 2 fbx to upload in mixamo and a readme telling you to use these in mixamo
    3. Go to mixamo, upload the previous female or male fbx and download the animation of your choice
    Using the fbx for Unity and without skin options.

Yet for me, these steps were not enough, still resulting in weird moves. Then I needed to tweak the import settings in Unity:
    4. In Unity, import the mixamo fbx in your assets, find it and open the Inspector
    5. In the "Rig" tab, change:
    5.1. "Animation Type" to "Humanoid"
    5.2. "Avatar Definition" to "Create From This Model"
    5.3. Click "Configure..." and in the avatar inspector view, click "Pose" -> "Enforce T-pose", then "Done"
    the "Pose" menu is located in bottom left, at right of "Mapping" menu and top of the validation buttons
    6. In "Animation" tab, find the right settings of "Root Transformation ..." and "Motion/Root Motion Node" to get the correct preview
    7. Optionally do not import materials

With these steps I could finally get correct animation for my UMA avatar!!
    I don't know if this is a comprehensive method but I just can say it worked for me for many animations from mixamo.

HTH

5. hopeful

hopeful

I see. So Mixamo was having a hard time finding the right bones due to naming issues? Huh.

6. Yunis

Yunis

@hopeful, I know that importing the UMA rig with a default rigged mixamo animation brings skeleton's names issues indeed.
    I'm not an expert in animation/rig generally, so I should spend some more time understanding every part of these points when I'd have the time.
    I'm just curious how does everyone make it work without any issue and why I can't find more questions about it in forums.

Is UMA kinda unused/dead ? I find it very powerful to use, yet complicated to diagnose.

7. hopeful

hopeful

UMA doesn't fit everyone's style of game, but it is actively used and actively developed. All the discussion occurs in the UMA thread.

8. erlichguy

erlichguy

@Yunis - you're a king! It works. Thank you!

9. tomy1971

tomy1971

I been able to import it to Unity with maximo, but I got weird result if I try to move the mesh it goes 100 miles away. mosly impossible to place it.

10. hopeful

hopeful

If an object jitters badly or suddenly shoots off into the distance, it often means you have an issue with overlapping colliders. UMA can be set to add a capsule collider in the recipe, which sometimes you want, but other times it can negatively interact with colliders used by camera controllers and character controllers. If you don't need the UMA capsule collider, remove that item from the recipe. (In older versions of UMA it had a check box that controlled the option to have a body collider.)

Not sure if that's your problem, but from the description it sounds like it.

11. tomy1971

tomy1971

Thank hopeful,

I would really want to use UMA since I bought a brunch of armor.

12. hopeful

hopeful

If you have other UMA questions, be sure to use the UMA thread. A link for it is a few posts above this one.

13. bryansgue

bryansgue

@Yunis Thank you! you are the best

14. omar4531

omar4531

Hello bro,
    I was concerned with this problem, but I finally found a solution to this, follow the steps:

1- Download this fbx :https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GnFxakWdmFicQqbU5zYlfnK4GW54Ib-c/

2- Go to mixamo, upload the previous and download the animation of your choice
    Using the "fbx for Unity" and "without skin" options.
    3- In Unity, import the mixamo fbx in your assets, and put it in Animator
    4- then open the mixamo fbx in Inspector
    5- In the "Rig" tab, change:
    1* Animation Type to "Humanoid"
    2* Avatar drfinition to "copy from other avatar"
    3* source to "DudeAvatar" (path:Assets/UMA/Examples/Legacy Examples/Assets/Animation/Dude.fbx)
    4* Apply
    rig tap.jpg

6-In the "Model" tab, change and Apply
    model tap.jpg

7-In the "Animation" tab, change and Apply
    animation tap.jpg

If you have any questions, put here ☺

15. Arlorean

Arlorean

Thanks @omar4531 those settings seemed to work well for me. Without uploading the Dude.fbx rig first I was getting fingers all over the place and expressions where I didn't want them. Here's a video showing the Mixamo Idle Rifle Aim animation on an UMA character in Unity 2020.2.2f1 with UMA 2.11.6 from the Unity Asset Store:

This is what it should looks like once you've uploaded the Dude.fbx to Mixamo and selected an animation: DudeInMixamo.PNG